Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerk behaviour on public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have never experienced it with planes. No ticket? There's no getting past the boarding gate! And if someone on the plane is in your allocated seat, they move willingly when asked or are moved by staff. There is a big difference between planes and busses/trains regarding seat bookings.

I honestly don't get the sanctimonious attitude in this post and IMO is an attitude public transport could do without, to be honest!!

I have had issues when it comes to people not being unable to comprehend that the seat they are in has been booked & paid for. Iv had two cases where both people had the same attitude on long journeys from Connolly station to outside of Dublin, they both wouldn't move but were heavily berated by my self without any sort of hostility from myself, I persistently annoyed them both accompanied by people on the train who have booked seats before and had the same sh*t (was nice to see). Both people were sanctimonious and p*g ignorant as each other. They were the type of people that would be aggravated if a person skipped them in any sort of queue or if somebody took their parking space etc People that would not take being told: "Tough luck, get the next one". Both got off at commuter towns in Dublin, within 6/7 stops. Insufferable gobsh*tes.

If it hasn't already happened, I wouldn't be surprised if someone loses it on the way home after a rough day at work and drags some smart arse out of the seat. I wouldn't blame him.

Whoosh. That's you missing the point.
    I don't know why booking a seat for a non commuter train isn't mandatory with ticket purchase, instead of the shur it'll be grand attitude and hopping into the first empty one, regardless of whether it's booked or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

poisonated wrote: »
    I don’t see any problem with having a drink on a train provided that it’s not just a dart or something.

It’s more when people get boisterous or downright ratarsed that it gets annoying. One or two drinks - no problem.

jr86 wrote: »
    On the DART this morning this guy got out of his seat, went over and stood right by the door - blocking it in the process - despite the fact he didn't even get out at the next stop, it was the one after that. Absolutely bizarre, his seat was about 2 metres from the door, with no traffic in his way. Do these people actually think the train doors are going to open for 2 seconds and then go and leave without them? The amount of times I see this is extraordinary

Similarly if I'm getting a train at an off-peak time and the carriage is virtually empty, I've had people actually pushing past me to run on when the train pulls up. There are dozens of free seats to choose from, people can be very strange

the obvious ones of people failing to move down the DART when it is crowded, why does everyone have to migrate as near as possible to the doors. As others have pointed out they wouldn't get away with that nonsense on the Tube in London

teenagers too on Dublin buses who are too 'cool' to go and sit down beside a stranger so proceed to blocking either the stairs or the way out. Uggh. there was one on the bus yesterday who was offered different seats multiple times yet wouldn't take it despite the fact she was standing in an extremely awkward place for people getting on and off.

Getting the Luas late one night at the back of the tram, Guy gets up and stands in front of the back door, as we approach the stop, I get up as well and stand behind him, because I assume he is getting off. He doesn't, and instead lets a load of people get on, they just get on, the door closes and off we go, while Im wedged behind your man and the people who got on. I went absolutely ballistic at him. I screamed blue murder at him. Normally I'm very quiet and reserved but it was late, I needed to change onto the other line and I was worried of missing the last one. Why the flip would you get up and stand by the door if you're not getting off?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

On the bus home this evening stuck in very bad traffic. A guy sits next to me and starts watching some OTT American documentary about a kid with cancer. Volume all the way up, no earphones in. I had my earphones in but couldn't drown it out.

At one point the child in the documentary starts screaming crying and that continues for ages. Others on the bus turning in their seats wondering who the inconsiderate arse is.

I took my earphones out and caught his attention. He then seemed to realise everybody else was dead silent in comparison, and turned the show off.

I actually cannot understand how he didn't register to begin with. I would be embarrassed if I realised the whole bus could hear what I was listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Getting the Luas late one night at the back of the tram, Guy gets up and stands in front of the back door, as we approach the stop, I get up as well and stand behind him, because I assume he is getting off. He doesn't, and instead lets a load of people get on, they just get on, the door closes and off we go, while Im wedged behind your man and the people who got on. I went absolutely ballistic at him. I screamed blue murder at him. Normally I'm very quiet and reserved but it was late, I needed to change onto the other line and I was worried of missing the last one. Why the flip would you get up and stand by the door if you're not getting off?

Time to start shouting was before the door closed.

• Advertisement

De Danann wrote: »
    On the bus home this evening stuck in very bad traffic. A guy sits next to me and starts watching some OTT American documentary about a kid with cancer. Volume all the way up, no earphones in. I had my earphones in but couldn't drown it out.

At one point the child in the documentary starts screaming crying and that continues for ages. Others on the bus turning in their seats wondering who the inconsiderate arse is.

I took my earphones out and caught his attention. He then seemed to realise everybody else was dead silent in comparison, and turned the show off.

I actually cannot understand how he didn't register to begin with. I would be embarrassed if I realised the whole bus could hear what I was listening to.

I turned on the RTE app on my phone in work today (Open plan office)but had forgotten to turn on my bluetooth so it came from the speaker. Cue me quickly killing the app. It was only a couple of seconds but I felt embarrassed that other people heard.

Would you not be mortified with everyone hearing what you are listening to?

Same with people having loud conversations on the phone. Are they not embarrassed about people hearing them?

Some people remind me of Dom Joly'd big phone guy from Trigger Happy TV:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

It's extremely odd. Not surprised to hear stories like yours tbh, bound to happen eventually with people blocking exit for no reason

Some people seem to have this very bizarre belief the train/bus/Luas won't let them off unless they're standing right by the door 3 stops in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There is though, but only the elite like me have Access....

You actually have to request access.

Genuinely there is one I'm on it...

That's the spirit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

lawred2 wrote: »
    how?

He lay down on his back across 2 seats, lifted his legs straight up (must have been some serious exercise) and planted his feet flat on the ceiling where the air vents are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

On a train or plane, when you’ve booked the window seat, paid extra for the window seat but on arrival some fûckwit is sitting in it...NO... remove your ass, find a free seat or your own assigned seat (written on your ticket) and give me the service and comfort I’m paying for and entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Why didnt you walk around him or ask him to get out of the way?
    He could have had a hundred reasons for standing up, might of thought it was his stop but realised it wasn't, might have been freeing his seat up for someone else, maybe he just wanted to stand up which he's entitled to do.
    Youre not his responsibility.
    I wasnt there so didnt see but going by your comment and the context you gave, it's a bit strange that you waited until after the doors closed before you said something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

are we using the word 'jerk' now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Time to start shouting was before the door closed.

Absolutely! No point kicking up a fuss afterwards, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Gynoid wrote: »
    Cheap cans of lager cracked open on the train like we are all off to Torremolinos when we are only passing Mullingar. And then the honk of ya when you have just sucked the life out if a fag on the platform at a stop and then breathe it all back out to me when you get back in. Maybe combined with lager breath. Dead to me.

Sorry man :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Out of my way, jerk-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Peasants, all I see is peasants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Omnibus masturbators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Were you on this bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Get the train from oranmore to galway every morning. Its a small railcar and seats are usually taken with a few people standing by the time the train arrives. A lot of people get on in oranmore and train is jammed. Packed in like sardines for 10 minute journey. Usually people are fine on the commute, train driver is sound and will wait if he sees anyone running from the car park. But There are 2 types of people who annoy the hell outta me.

1. People who are sitting on the floor and don't get up when the train is packed. Honestly feet out, taking up loads of standing space and bag beside them. Everyone else is squashed around them and trying their best not to fall on them if the train jerks (no more than they deserve). Few times people have asked them to stand and they ignore it and look at their phone. Always young college students.

2. also college students who put their big stupid bags on their backs, taking up more space than they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Students? Bag o' sh*te.

• Advertisement

Why didnt you walk around him or ask him to get out of the way?
    He could have had a hundred reasons for standing up, might of thought it was his stop but realised it wasn't, might have been freeing his seat up for someone else, maybe he just wanted to stand up which he's entitled to do.
    Youre not his responsibility.
    I wasnt there so didnt see but going by your comment and the context you gave, it's a bit strange that you waited until after the doors closed before you said something.

Are you a regular Luas user? Back of the Luas, its a single door. He is stood at the door giving all the impressions he intends getting off. Door opens and he flattens himself to the side and lets the hoard on.

If you were there you might understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are you a regular Luas user? Back of the Luas, its a single door. He is stood at the door giving all the impressions he intends getting off. Door opens and he flattens himself to the side and lets the hoard on.

If you were there you might understand.

Happens again walk through them.

I do.

I do.

Usually thats exactly I do, but I was expecting him to step off. I wasn't expecting his Ninja leap to the side and the flood of people, by which time it was too late to try and get through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Students? Bag o' sh*te.

Worst when they are standing around the center pole to hole for holding on to with their bags on. Circle time for simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I do.

Or the normal way where you get the stranger's attention and go past them.

Neither meekly saying nothing until the door closes and go bananas or walking through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

sallysue2 wrote: »
    Get the train from oranmore to galway every morning. Its a small railcar and seats are usually taken with a few people standing by the time the train arrives. A lot of people get on in oranmore and train is jammed. Packed in like sardines for 10 minute journey. Usually people are fine on the commute, train driver is sound and will wait if he sees anyone running from the car park. But There are 2 types of people who annoy the hell outta me.

1. People who are sitting on the floor and don't get up when the train is packed. Honestly feet out, taking up loads of standing space and bag beside them. Everyone else is squashed around them and trying their best not to fall on them if the train jerks (no more than they deserve). Few times people have asked them to stand and they ignore it and look at their phone. Always young college students.

2. also college students who put their big stupid bags on their backs, taking up more space than they need.

I find a good heel pinch on a soft part of their flesh will usually have the desired effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Best way for me (and it works every time) regarding the bag on the unpaid for seat all to itself, lol is not to say anything but raise an eyebrow, widen the eyes and gesture with a nod of the head towards the offending bag and add a smile. Always works, and then I sit down and say thanks. Although I shouldn't have to thank someone for removing their bag but discretion is the better part of valour sometimes. Have used the same method abroad too. No language barrier if you don't say anything. Ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Elysium1 wrote: »
    I’m watching someone who sat near me, other side stick their leg out in the isle of the train, not just foot, much leg too.

People are literally climbing over to pass through on the train and no one has said anything. At the previous stop, someone actually tripped over, I guess they had shorter legs .

Small gripes and first world problems I know.... What is wrong with people? It’s a public space, not your place! I’ve seen other things but...one per day! Ha

See crap like this on your commute?

Jerk! Come on. Jerk really?.

1995 American called they want their word back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,991 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Best way for me (and it works every time) regarding the bag on the unpaid for seat all to itself, lol is not to say anything but raise an eyebrow, widen the eyes and gesture with a nod of the head towards the offending bag and add a smile. Always works, and then I sit down and say thanks. Although I shouldn't have to thank someone for removing their bag but discretion is the better part of valour sometimes. Have used the same method abroad too. No language barrier if you don't say anything. Ha.

This is precisely the simplest approach. Anyone with a bag on the seat would understand the dynamic. Easy-peasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Even more easy-peasy if people kept their bag on their own side of their seat so people could just sit down without having to ask permission (even if the communication is non-verbal, thats what they're doing)

Advertisement