Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

throwing cigarette butts out the car window

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Oh god you're not doing anything about it lol.

Being very rude to a stranger and treating her like a child isn't going to make her not flick cigarettes away in the future. Take it from me, you were the asshole in that situation, not her. And I'm sorry to tell you that you didn't make a blind bit of difference in that situation, nor have you made any difference in this situation. You don't care about the environment. Give me your shopping list and your make of car and I guarantee I'll find a way in which to argue you're harming the environment, just in a different way. Because guess what, we all are! Every single one of us is guilty one way or the other because it turns out quite a lot of things are harmful to the planet.

I'd bet a million euro you eat fish and here you are berating smokers for murdering sea creatures with their cigarette butts. I'm certain this is a multi-layered hypocrisy on your part.

Behave like a child, you get treated like a child.

You're the asshole in all the situations in which you throw your toxic litter on the ground, actually. You have the cheek to say others don't care about the environment when you're the one actually causing the harm to it, and willfully being ignorant about it. Logic according to you: "some fish die so we can eat them so I'll pollute the earth and the fish you're going to eat with harmful toxins." Or, "everyone on earth impacts it negatively so I may as well make it even worse." How can one person be so ignorant. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

No it's more of a case of you having the cheek to lecture people about the environment without realising you more than likely contribute to the destruction of it in other ways.

Or are you squeaky clean in this respect? Do you line-dry your clothes instead of using a tumble dryer? Do you cycle everywhere instead of driving or getting the bus? Do you eat meat? Is your central heating on a timer or is it liable to stay on a bit longer than it needs to be sometimes? Do you compost your food waste? If the answer to any of these is 'no' then you honestly don't have a leg to stand on pal. And that's precisely my point. We live on a planet where it's virtually impossible for any first-world human being not to damage it in some way. If you want to gloss over that fact well then I'd suggest you're far more ignorant than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No it's more of a case of you having the cheek to lecture people about the environment without realising you more than likely contribute to the destruction of it in other ways.

Or are you squeaky clean in this respect? Do you line-dry your clothes instead of using a tumble dryer? Do you cycle everywhere instead of driving or getting the bus? Do you eat meat? Is your central heating on a timer or is it liable to stay on a bit longer than it needs to be sometimes? Do you compost your food waste? If the answer to any of these is 'no' then you honestly don't have a leg to stand on pal. And that's precisely my point. We live on a planet where it's virtually impossible for any first-world human being not to damage it in some way. If you want to gloss over that fact well then I'd suggest you're far more ignorant than I am.
    None of this in the slightest justifies your littering. Pick up your own litter, like any mature adult would.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was guilty of this. It was a habit. But thanks to this thread I now see it for what it is. Disgusting littering. Now if I smoke in the car ( rarely ) I flick the lit bit off and dump the filter in a bin when I'm near one. Thanks boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

See, we as a society built entirely unsustainable necessities being willfully ignorant of how we treat the environment. These were taken for granted for so long that they are now basically necessities because we built our lives and infrastructures around it.
    Many people have to drive cars because the infrastructure in Ireland is fukced, the housing supply is out of sync and work is concentrated in places that are now expensive and people are being pushed out.
    Meat has a strong lobby and very vested interests, eating it is cultural and it takes a long time to chance these views because they're deeply engrained. The good thing is, more and more people become very conscious of their habits and try to change it.
    Ireland is a very humid country and with bad weather it's virtually impossible drying clothes on a line outside, drying them inside can invite mould into your house depending on how and when it was built.

Many people are very aware of how they damage the environment but you know, sometimes people have extremely limited options depending on their circumstances to make instant changes.
    What this planet needs is many people trying really hard instead of a handful doing it perfectly. More and more people try to do what they can to make a tiny change.

Having said all that, littering is entirely preventable and a lazy choice. The brain gymnastics it takes to compare carelessly fecking a cigarette bud out the window to a commuter who has no real options to get to work is beyond me. Apples and pears.
    Also driving a car, eating meat and using a tumble dryer are not criminal offences, littering is and you can go to court for it.

Don't excuse your laziness with "BUT BUT the others do bad things too!" Yes we know we drive cars, yes we know it's not good for the environment but there is no solid working solution for the car dependency our society has. But the solution for disposing of buds is putting it into a bin, super simple, super preventable without having to question societal and political values and incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

cjmc wrote: »
    I was guilty of this. It was a habit. But thanks to this thread I now see it for what it is. Disgusting littering. Now if I smoke in the car ( rarely ) I flick the lit bit off and dump the filter in a bin when I'm near one. Thanks boards :)

You made me smile :)

LirW wrote: »
    But the solution for disposing of buds is putting it into a bin, super simple, super preventable without having to question societal and political values and incompetence.

That's only the solution if you're near a bin. If you aren't near a bin you have three options: a) throw it away b) walk until you find a bin or c) put it in your pocket.

Would you walk to find a bin if you were a smoker? I don't think so, and you absolutely wouldn't put it in your pocket until you find one later because you'd stink to high heaven. Cigarette butts themselves smell worse than the smoke. If any of you were smokers you would do the exact same as many more smokers if there was no receptacle, which is drop it on the f*cking ground and stamp on it, or flick it away. I guarantee it.

That's only the solution if you're near a bin. If you aren't near a bin you have three options: a) throw it away b) walk until you find a bin or c) put it in your pocket.

Would you walk to find a bin if you were a smoker? I don't think so, and you absolutely wouldn't put it in your pocket until you find one later because you'd stink to high heaven. Cigarette butts themselves smell worse than the smoke. If any of you were smokers you would do the exact same as many more smokers if there was no receptacle, which is drop it on the f*cking ground and stamp on it, or flick it away. I guarantee it.
    If you're able to remember to carry your smokes and your lighter with you, then you're able to remember to carry an ashtray with you.
    5118n8s9n1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Clean up after yourself.

I absolutely take steps where I can to reduce my footprint. I don't just throw my hands up in the air and say oh well, why even bother doing my best. You've stated things here that completely fly in the face of science and fact even after it was pointed out. Height of ignorance. We should all do better once we know better, not just stubbornly continue on doing harm. If it's easily preventable, why wouldn't you just stop doing it. Because you don't care, and you're lazy. A horrible attitude. We're talking about the impact of cigarette butts here, pal. Not the negative impact of every other human activity. Talk about no leg to stand on. When you point blank admit to littering toxic trash and refuse to listen to reason and scientific fact about it, you have less of leg to stand on than anyone.

• Advertisement

I don't know who else needs to hear this, but when you smoke you actually reek of the stink anyway. Lame excuse.

Edit, And if you are a smoker, why wouldn't you just remember to bring a little bag to wrap up the butt with. There are solutions, but you just want the lazy way out because you couldn't care less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303046425543

Pocket ashtray, they exist! First link that came up after googling, 5 second search and already a solution - and a cheap one too.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I absolutely take steps where I can to reduce my footprint.

I don't believe you. I don't believe you would sacrifice the convenience of a tumble-dryer, for example, just to lower your carbon footprint. I just don't buy this boyscout act I'm afraid.

I think you're just making stuff up as you go along. Want proof? Today you wrote: "Behave like a child, you get treated like a child." Last week you wrote: "Treat people like infants and they'll resent their employer and find ways around it." Verbatim.

So do you reduce your footprint or did you just make it up on the spot in response to what was a very good point? Could you do more to reduce your footprint? If so then why exactly are you calling me lazy and questioning my attitude. Maybe I'm not the one who needs a good look in the mirror. At least I know my stance on things.

If you're able to remember to carry your smokes and your lighter with you, then you're able to remember to carry an ashtray with you.
    5118n8s9n1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Clean up after yourself.

You’re not going to avoid one yourself.

I don't believe you. I don't believe you would sacrifice the convenience of a tumble-dryer, for example, just to lower your carbon footprint. I just don't buy this boyscout act I'm afraid.

I think you're just making stuff up as you go along. Want proof? Today you wrote: "Behave like a child, you get treated like a child." Last week you wrote: "Treat people like infants and they'll resent their employer and find ways around it." Verbatim.

So do you reduce your footprint or did you just make it up on the spot in response to what was a very good point? Could you do more to reduce your footprint? If so then why exactly are you calling me lazy and questioning my attitude. Maybe I'm not the one who needs a good look in the mirror. At least I know my stance on things.

Different situations call for different advice, what a crazy concept. Ha ha

Look at yourself, getting so wound up for being criticized in that terrible behavior (and I'm not the only one) that you've taken the time to go back and read through my previous posts looking for a fault. And trying to find one in me, to what, bring me down to your level? State of you. Look at yourself and change your own behavior. I don't throw cigarette butts or any litter on the ground for that matter. As per the topic on this post. If it's not laziness, then what is it. Could you do more to reduce your footprint? Yeah, stop throwing your disgusting butts on the ground.

Interesting that I effectively said you were lying when you claimed to reduce your footprint where you can and you didn't deny it. I'd rather be lazy and have a bad attitude than be a liar and a hypocrite.

You’re not going to avoid one yourself.
    True enough, though not smoking gives me a good shot at avoiding it for years more than a smoker.

Interesting that I effectively said you were lying when you claimed to reduce your footprint where you can and you didn't deny it. I'd rather be lazy and have a bad attitude than be a liar and a hypocrite.

The world would rather that you'd not litter. Stop littering please.

I don't need to prove anything to you, and I know myself all I've done and continue to do so I'm not going to engage with you on that. This topic is about throwing cigarette butts on the ground. People have posted their opinions on how disgusting it is, how wrong, and the science and facts behind why it's bad. You've decided to ignore that and claim there are non-existent processes of decomposition called "and suddenly" just to try and excuse your actions.

So you admit you're lazy with a bad attitude. Well it's only obvious. Be more like the other poster who has enough humility to admit its wrong and a change could be made. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Unfortunately Ireland seems to be increasingly full of litter louts

As an experiment, I'd invite all the sanctimonious non-smokers in here to take up eating 10 chewing gums a day for the next month and if you dispose of every single one of them in the correct manner - i.e putting them in a bin of some description - then I'd be extremely impressed. I genuinely would be, because there will be times when you're nowhere near a bin and the smaller something is, the more you can rationalise the 'littering' of it. And instead of putting it into your pocket or carrying it around with you until you find a bin, all of you will be tempted to litter and most of you will succumb to it out of sheer convenience. I promise you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

As an experiment, I'd invite all the sanctimonious non-smokers in here to take up eating 10 chewing gums a day for the next month and if you dispose of every single one of them in the correct manner - i.e putting them in a bin of some description - then I'd be extremely impressed. I genuinely would be, because there will be times when you're nowhere near a bin and the smaller something is, the more you can rationalise the 'littering' of it. And instead of putting it into your pocket or carrying it around with you until you find a bin, all of you will be tempted to litter and most of you will succumb to it out of sheer convenience. I promise you.

a guy i worked with use to stick his used gum behind his ear he would eat a few sticks in the morning then when he wanted take it out and place it behind his lug for later. Odd time he would forget it was there and he would be in the shop with what looked like an old hearing aid strapped behind his ear :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

One hundred years ago many cigarettes but no plastic filters.

No plastic at all one hundred years ago.

It is the plastic, I think, not the cigarettes

It looks like this is going to be a big surprise to you, but most decent people don't litter. They make other arrangements, however inconvenient that is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Still digging?
    Even after you have been shown a video of a biker with 3rd degree burns all over his torso and arms because a half wit decided to flick a butt out the window?

No point engaging further so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Jesus Christ it’s only cigarette butts. Along comes another car and squashes the butt flat on the road making it almost unnoticeable. Rain comes along and breaks down the cigarette butt.

Coffee cups, Tayto bags and fast food packaging are the biggest litter problems along roads. I’d be more pissed off about this than a cigarette butt.

It looks like this is going to be a big surprise to you, but most decent people don't litter. They make other arrangements, however inconvenient that is for them.

Well then do what I suggested Andrew and we'll see how decent you are when you have to discard something very small between 10-15 times a day in public. Believe me, on some occasions you're not going to go out of your way to find a bin if there isn't one nearby. On some occasion you will litter it because it's the most convenient solution at that time. Do the experiment.

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Still digging?
    Even after you have been shown a video of a biker with 3rd degree burns all over his torso and arms because a half wit decided to flick a butt out the window?

No point engaging further so.

Digging? I've been consistently making valid points throughout this entire fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They stopped putting ash trays in cars years ago. What else are they supposed to do with a lit cigarette?
    I suppose they could have a bottle of water in the car or something for cigarette waste. If you don't have an extinguishable in the car, I guess throwing them away is the only option.

Cars dont come with bins, can I just fling all my rubbish out the window?

EDIT, beaten to it .

Buy an ashtray for the car if you want to smoke.

Well then do what I suggested Andrew and we'll see how decent you are when you have to discard something very small between 10-15 times a day in public. Believe me, on some occasions you're not going to go out of your way to find a bin if there isn't one nearby. On some occasion you will litter it because it's the most convenient solution at that time. Do the experiment.

Buy a pocket ashtray and do your own experiment. It's not on anyone else to prove you right or wrong. Figure it out for yourself. There are cheap solutions, no excuse.

• Advertisement

Chewing gum is cheaper. Let me know how you get on a month from now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement