Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl LIV Thread: 49ers v Chiefs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Congrats chiefs fans, was a great win, can honestly say I didn't think it was in any way over at 20-10, it's been the way the chiefs have played all through the playoffs.

Hard luck niners, on top of the loss earlier in the decade it's hard to take I'm sure. I know people always say the losing team will come back and that in the NFL sb losers often drop off the map but the niners really are a very strong team across the roster, think they'll be there or thereabouts next year.

Jaysus it looked a lot more like Erin Andrews was going to cry in that interview than Kyle Shanahan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Closer than the score suggests. Glad for Reid, not so happy for the Chiefs though!

As a fellow Donkey I would ordinarily agree.

But I've been raw cheering KC on tonight, all about Big Red for me!

Mahomes was stupid in the end.

That pass to Hill was a ****1ng outrageous throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Well, now that that's settled ...

Pitchers and catchers report in just two weeks.

a084.gif

EP0dTwOWoAA68JD?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The argument of a coward.

As I said, you are an example of one of the strangest/saddest kind of fans you encounter in the net.

Enjoy the off season

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

• As I said, you are an example of one of the strangest/saddest kind of fans you encounter in the net.

Enjoy the off season

You'll have to explain that...

I'm delighted that the best team and coach won..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Augme

I think Kyle Shannon has to take the most of the blame for that lose. Some very strange decisions by him in the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Fair play to the Chiefs, was a great 4th quarter effort.

I thought going into the game that they'd get behind and make their usual late surge, but I had expected the 49ers run game to control the clock and leave them with too little time.
    Very surprised how little they ran the ball towards the end.
    It's like the Falcons SB again, as soon as the other team starts scoring Shanahan feels the need to score back quickly instead of staying patient and running the football to control the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 icnsprtsjrsys

And now for an incredibly long off season

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GBPackers

At 20-10 with 6:15 left on the clock, SF with the ball i thought it was over.

But KC defense made a good stop and then, Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BizzyC wrote: »
    It's like the Falcons SB again, as soon as the other team starts scoring Shanahan feels the need to score back quickly instead of staying patient and running the football to control the game.
    Just finished watching the 2nd half, and that struck me as well. Shanahan kinda shat himself again.

No surprise to see Mahomes do what he did in the 4th quarter and get MVP. He's well on his way to greatness. He's gonna get a huge contract, so we'll see how that affects the roster going forward. SF will have a shot again next year, but this was a big chance that they blew with that 4th quarter performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭collybyrne

collybyrne wrote: »
    Picking the Chiefs here. I've been expecting the 49ers to be in the Superbowl from a long way out (along with the Ravens in fairness) but having seen what the Chiefs have done in the playoffs I just can't pick against them. As good as this SF defence is, I can't see how anyone stops Mahomes in this kind of form. In saying that I thought the same about Jackson and the Titans shut him down completely.

But to me Mahomes is on another level right now. I can't envisage a game where he doesn't rack up at least 25 - 30 points and I just don't have the same faith in the 49ers to match him point for point. Think it's going to be a cracker though, potentially one for the ages. And great to have two new faces in the mix. Can't wait.

This brings me to 173 - 94 overall. Think i'm the only one still doing this but might as well finish out the season!

Really enjoyed that one. Mahomes really is that kind of special where you never feel like he's out of the game and Hill is such a freak he's always going to get separation at some point. Special word for Damien Williams having the game of his life.

Another tough blow for Shanahan, we'll really see what he's made of now. Him and McVay have been annointed the exciting new future of offensive coaching but neither of them could get across the line in the big one and McVay had a tough time trying to get back to the business end this year. That 49ers roster is deep all over though so it would be surprise if they didn't continue to grow from here. Whether or not Garoppolo is going to be the one to take them all the way remains to be seen.

Great season overall though. Loads of exciting games and a good mixture of defence and offence dominating at different points. New names and teams coming through at the top and an exciting few years ahead watching these AFC QBs duking it out. Thanks to all the regular contributors on here over the season, always enjoy reading the different points of view and looking forward to getting back at it in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

GBPackers wrote: »

There was about 9mins left when Chiefs made that stop. They scored on the next possession. Was just over 6 mins left when 49ers got the ball back at 20-17.

Thought the play calling from Shanahan was bizarre at the end of the half and in the second half. He was playing scared. Just playing the clock out with a minute left and 3 time outs pretty terrible. Then he took a field goal on 4th and a short 2 on his first possession of the 2nd half. That was an automatic go for it spot.

Thought the refs ever so slightly favored the Chiefs but over the full game they deserved to win. The OPI call on Kittle was especially soft they have been calling none of those this year. Also there was numerous uncalled holding fouls by both OLs particularly the Chiefs.
    But that's by the by. Was a good spectacle and probably a fair result of who the best team is in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,455 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jimmy G didn't have a bad game overall. After that bad INT he got back on track and until the 4th quarter.

The DPI against the niners was correct but as the defender you know the drill of having to turn your head back towards the ball and if you don't then you're asking to get a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As expected, many here are leaning into the easy narrative of again pointing the finger at Shanahan.

Kyle was conservative for a lot of the game but he ended up being up 20-10 in the 4th quarter. Change some of that conservatism and there's as much chance the game ends up with the Chiefs leading earlier as the 49ers having a bigger lead.

In the same breath, people are then claiming he was also too aggressive throwing the ball in the 4th. Right now he'd be getting just as destroyed for more conservatism if they went 3 and out running the ball, especially as it wasn't as if they were carving the Chiefs up all game, like GB and the Vikings. On those questionable passing plays some either nearly came off or refs missed penalties which should have at least extended the drives - without watching back yet there were 2 missed roughing the passer calls (1 outrageously bad), Jones making a great play to tip a ball going to a wide open Kittle, a neutral zone infraction, and Jimmy and Sanders nearly connecting for a TD.

I'm sure Kyle would have done some things differently with the help of hindsight but sometimes things just don't go your way in a game either your player makes a mistake, the other side has a bit of luck, or they have a few more moments of magic than you. Unfortunately, after the Falcons dumping the blame on him last time this lazy narrative will be jumped on again today and one that he'll have to deal with until he wins a Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

That 3rd and long play Mahomes aired to Hill seemed like the turning play to me. After that dont think 49ers D got a stop on the chiefs. Thought Shanahan's conservatism at end of first half was not great, I know Chiefs still had timeouts and they were getting the ball in 3rd quarter but you have to be more aggressive. Jimmy was good and is a good QB but dont think he is elite. Overall think best team won and delighted for Andy Reid, a generally well liked guy and offensive genius. Interesting that Mahomes spoke about his background coming from Big 12 college football for how he can shake off interceptions and just keep gunning it with throws, not sure how many QB's can come back from those 3rd Qtr intercepts

• Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Superbowl MVP is a bit of a joke sometimes. Based on that game alone Mahomes should not have gotten it. Williams was the best offensive player and Breeland deserved consideration too I think.

Was that the fastest 3rd quarter ever in a super bowl ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

GBPackers wrote: »

I drifted off asleep after Mahomes' possibly worst throw of the night, low, with about 7 minutes left. It was over...

No way should mahomes have gotten the MVP as he wasn't even the best player on his team last night. He had for him a decidedly poor game by his high standards.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No way should mahomes have gotten the MVP as he wasn't even the best player on his team last night. He had for him a decidedly poor game by his high standards.

In fairness to Mahomes he was under the kosh from the get go. The OL was getting absolutely gashed by Bosa and Co early. But I'd agree that I don't think he should have gotten it. Probably would have given it to Chris Jones or Williams. But it was never going to be anyone else but Mahomes after the comeback.

BoldReason wrote: »
    In fairness to Mahomes he was under the kosh from the get go. The OL was getting absolutely gashed by Bosa and Co early. But I'd agree that I don't think he should have gotten it. Probably would have given it to Chris Jones or Williams. But it was never going to be anyone else but Mahomes after the comeback.

Probably Jones really. Take away that meaningless last TD possession from the Chiefs and Williams went for 60yards off 15 carries. Also another 30 and a TD receiving alright but thought Jones deserved it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

BoldReason wrote: »
    Probably Jones really. Take away that meaningless last TD possession from the Chiefs and Williams went for 60yards off 15 carries. Also another 30 and a TD receiving alright but thought Jones deserved it more.

Jones continuously destroyed the interior of the 49ers OL. They ended up having to leave Kittle in there to block a lot so they had a bit of time which takes away a lot of the offense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

I wonder if it sucks for Gould and kickers in Superbowls. I mean he was perfect and didn't make a mistake but they still lose!

I think Jimmy was a bigger factor in the lose than Kyle. He missed on the deep ball and missed Kittle wide open a few times. For me he had more time than Mahomes to make his plays and his receivers were getting better separation.

I am being harsh on the man but you are looking for the differences in two great times. Good just doesn't cut it!

Christy42 wrote: »
    I wonder if it sucks for Gould and kickers in Superbowls.

Gould has experience losing Super Bowls though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am being harsh on the man but you are looking for the differences in two great times. Good just doesn't cut it!
    Maybe a bit harsh, but he ain’t no Mahones, no shame in that.
    Shanahan buckled IMO, again. But he got to the SB and they look strong for next season; so overall he deserves praise.
    I didn’t notice at the time, but saw it posted here; that OTT celebration (which I’ve seen a number of teams do) after the 2nd INT came back to bite SF. They picked on Sherman in the 4th quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I know Mahomes got mvp but he fumbled a ball and threw two picks.... Hardly mvp ball security

I know Mahomes got mvp but he fumbled a ball and threw two picks.... Hardly mvp ball security

Seems the default is give it to the winning QB unless there is a clear and obvious(bit like replay) winning player that was a stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Maybe a bit harsh, but he ain’t no Mahones, no shame in that.
    Shanahan buckled IMO, again. But he got to the SB and they look strong for next season; so overall he deserves praise.
    I didn’t notice at the time, but saw it posted here; that OTT celebration (which I’ve seen a number of teams do) after the 2nd INT came back to bite SF. They picked on Sherman in the 4th quarter.

I feel like the Chiefs pick on Sherman even without the celebration. Every team does the Ott celebration. I have no issue with it.

Harvey mentioned something similar about celebrating first downs in a routine (it is literally the smallest achievement going).

Shanahan also made mistakes, Jimmy had the game in his hands a few times though. Between them they needed at least 1 first down between the Chiefs touchdowns to give their defense a chance to catch their breath.

To be fair Reid and Mahomes did the same but they took their shots when they had the chance. The SF was rolling a number of times and just dribbled to a fg when they got close. Two great teams and a bit of luck could have seen it the other way.

Mahomes maybe not the best choice but not terrible for a pick. He at least got the offense moving, had the 3rd and 15 and was under a massive amount of pressure all day long. I have seen QBs get it on far worse performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All the criticism of Shanahan, Jimmy G etc. is unwarranted. They played well all year and got to a Superbowl.
    They then got to face the second best coach in the league and one of the best quarterbacks.
    They led in the game, it didn't work out. They may learn from it and come back a better team. If they do then Kyle Shanahan will be lauded as a great coach. Andy Reid lost a Superbowl, lost numerous playoff games but he was still considered one of the best coaches in the league.

Advertisement