Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Travelling to Armagh this evening with Cavan having six debutants and being 10-3 in the bookies - blind optimism to expect any type of result given how things are looking but that’s being a supporter for ya!

Didn’t realise this was in Croke Park, was looking forward to a bit of atmosphere for the opening game too. Mayo Donegal would probably be the better option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Leitrim and Derry (in Derry) draw opening league game 1-14 to 2-11.

Leitrim desperately unlucky not to win having stormed out the gate leading 1-3 to a point after 13 minutes. Derry scored a goal close to half time and added two more points to lead at half. Leitrim again started strong in second half and led by 3 after opening 11 minutes. After that it was close with a point separating them after 35. Ciaran McFaul getting the final score of the game to get Derry a draw in injury time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Did you see the Kerry team ?

They certainly do give a shiney shyte about it based on that

Did u not read the second half of the sentence Compadre? Find me one Kerry player or pundit still banging on about how great it was to win the league 3 years ago, or how important it was "in the grand scheme of things." Ultimately, it didn't matter. And what happens tonight won't really matter, or have any impact on what happens 8 or 9 months from now.

Kerry have a very young squad for the most part. They can go the whole year with risk of burn out. They don't have many aul lads needing to rest up during the Spring, or lads on the go for 10+ years needing to rehab temperamental hammers & groins. So of course we'll see more of last year's AI finalists playing tonight, than we might have had 5 years ago, or 10 years ago. But they won't do anything tonight, or risk playing tonight anyone that could negatively impact what happens in July/August/September. 'Zat was my point, if not expressed very well.

Is there no other goalkeeper in Mayo they could give a try out? Clarke has never been any more inter-county level than I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is there no other goalkeeper in Mayo they could give a try out? Clarke has never been any more inter-county level than I am.

This is his 20th year intercounty
    Over half his life
    But yeah
    You are better

They are out early this year

In some real news
    Excellent goal by Clifford
    Some player

km79 wrote: »
    This is his 20th year intercounty
    Over half his life
    But yeah
    You are better

They are out early this year

In some real news
    Excellent goal by Clifford
    Some player

I said I was better? Reading not your strong suit I take it.
    He’s a poor goalkeeper at the top level, and in a strong footballing county there has to be someone they could be trying at this stage if they’re still realistically thinking about going all the way in the near future. Which they haven’t done in his 20 years remember.

Decent enough game though and thankfully not too much of this stupid mark making it unwatchable yet. We probably won’t see the full effects for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Great game for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Great game for January.

Yeah. Wasn't expecting it to be so full throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I said I was better? Reading not your strong suit I take it.
    He’s a poor goalkeeper at the top level, and in a strong footballing county there has to be someone they could be trying at this stage if they’re still realistically thinking about going all the way in the near future. Which they haven’t done in his 20 years remember.

“ Clarke has never been any more inter-county level than I am.”
    Sorry you must have meant ye were equal ability
    Or is writing what you actually mean not your strong point

Another for the list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Slattsy wrote: »
    Great game for January.

The outstanding kick passing from both teams, the movement of the forwards which is causing pandemonium for defenses, no one standing still, the great tempo that both teams are attempting to play tonight, front foot attacking football.

Wow its brilliant to watch, long may it continue!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Derry drawing with the likes of Leitrim and a Derry city resident on the starting line up. Changing times.

km79 wrote: »
    “ Clarke has never been any more inter-county level than I am.”
    Sorry you must have meant ye were equal ability
    Or is writing what you actually mean not your strong point

Another for the list

I’d normally speak slower for someone like you but unfortunately I can’t write slower. I am not an inter county standard goalkeeper, David Clarke is not an inter county standard goalkeeper. We are both not inter county standard goalkeepers.
    There is no implication of quality in comparison to each other but you’ve made a balls of trying to take a figure of speech literally to try make an argument because you’re sour over what I said.

He flails about too much and has a very poor command of his goal area. And his kicking is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I don't like that Kerry jersey.

Good match though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Rock took a dive there for that penalty.

Fenton masterful.

Clifford brilliant.

Good game.

Speaking of diving, it’s been promising looking tonight how much the referee is ignoring them and not giving frees for obvious ones. Donegal have tried a fair few. Hopefully they’ve been told to focus on it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Cracker for a league game

Building up to be some rivalry here in the years ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

John.Icy wrote: »
    Rock took a dive there for that penalty.

Penalty should be given for whatever type of tackle the keeper was trying. Even if he wasn't going down hed have been taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Weepsie wrote: »
    Penalty should be given for whatever type of tackle the keeper was trying. Even if he wasn't going down hed have been taken out.

That’s what the game needs, fouls for tackles that might happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

munster87 wrote: »
    That’s what the game needs, fouls for tackles that might happen.

It did happen though. You can't slide on a player like that. He wasn't blocking a shot, he wasn't anywhere remotely near the ball, and be ended up taking out both Rock and his own player.

It was moronic and you don't tackle like that unless you are 100 % only getting the ball

• Advertisement

Poor enough scoring from Cavan looking at the scores. They could be in serious danger of tier 2 championship with the glut of players they’ve lost.

Sin bin surely won’t work unless the time is stopped for injuries.

munster87 wrote: »
    Sin bin surely won’t work unless the time is stopped for injuries.

Should never have been brought in without changing the timing to match the LGFA method too.

Fair pace to this now. Mayo much better this half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is touching David Clifford a yellow card offence now?

Ah yes. The "you can't look at Clifford" rule.

Can't touch golden boy.

Some advantage there

Referee doing his best to make us forget the good first half.

• Advertisement

Ref is having a nightmare here. Can't touch a Kerry jersey.

Advertisement