Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Football League 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Aaron Byrne doing well again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Both commentators, Billy Joe Padden and Mike Finnerty are from Mayo, hence the verbal diarrhoea from both of them.

Attempting to make a link between having 14 men and the result. The reality is that Mayo had as many cards as they had scores in the game.

STB. wrote: »
    Both commentators, Billy Joe Padden and Mike Finnerty are from Mayo, hence the verbal diarrhoea from both of them.

Attempting to make a link between having 14 men and the result. The reality is that Mayo had as many cards as they had scores in the game.

Eir are a joke having them both on it, and Moran stuck there too. They’ve always been like Mayo fan TV though.

That’s a fair win for Laois.

And Cavan... oh dear.

Fair balls to Cavan in the second half of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

1-1 from Kerry in injury time to beat Galway by one.

Referee totally ruined Mayo v Dublin. Has to be all about Barry Cassidy as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

munster87 wrote: »
    Aaron Byrne doing well again

Aaron Harry Byrne 😉

The excuses they’re making for the Mayo red are laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Tackle to the head in a striking motion when off his feet in front of the ref was always going to result in a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Can you imagine if Eir had two Dubs, doing the commentary, and all Dubs doing the sideline wrap up.

Four assessing the game afterwards, not one Dub among them. Laughable stuff. Who is the fecking head of sport in there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Tackle to the head in a striking motion when off his feet in front of the ref was always going to result in a red.

Look i can see why it was a red but it could easily have been a yellow. Flynn needs to learn quick. An angry young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Galvin finally off the mark for Wexford. Played well too even if Carlow failed to score from play (0-6 frees, one penalty).

Plenty of encouragement, particularly some of our kick passing and use of space. Picked off some lovely scores- our second goal was a carbon-copy of about 50 of those goals Dublin score where a few handpasses take the opposition out of it and its lofted to the back post for a simple palm to the net. Already far removed from the stagnation of the last couple of years.

Early days but I have seen enough evidence to suggest we should be in the shake-up for promotion. Limerick away and Sligo home will be key (provided we win the other games of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

STB. wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Eir had two Dubs, doing the commentary, and all Dubs doing the sideline wrap up.

Four assessing the game afterwards, not one Dub among them. Laughable stuff. Who is the fecking head of sport in there ?

David Brady.

Might be one less Mayo one there if Moran explodes. He’s not far off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lundstram wrote: »
    1-1 from Kerry in injury time to beat Galway by one.

Referee totally ruined Mayo v Dublin. Has to be all about Barry Cassidy as usual.

Red card all day long in my book. Deliberate late hit, missed making proper contact with Small , who looked like he was playing for Man City with his exaggerated reaction, but nonetheless an attempted, late strike and by rule a red card.
    The only way it's remarkable is that referees don't tend to implement that rule properly, but Cassidy was within hie rights IMHO on this occasion. The Mayo lads though don't like rules applying f to them, are fond of the late hit, and Saint O'Connor II up to his usual sh1t housing throughout the game. This guy has a lot of talent, but thankfully he becomes distracted acting the hard man and trying to be an enforcer, and it seems nobody in the Mayo backroom is strong enough to direct him to play football properly. Mayo missed a lot of chances on the night, no back up freetaker to Cillian yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Slattsy wrote: »
    David Brady.

LOL !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

A loss for Derry, imagine going to Newry on a winter night for that carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A loss for Derry, imagine going to Newry on a winter night for that carry on

Derry will reap what they sow. Same as Donegal did.

Derry would hardly be expected to beat Down at this stage anyway would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Congratulations to Donegal. Best kickout in the country, Pattton. Murphy is one of the modern greats. Bonner/Rockford managment team, quality management, lots of quality young players, a team to look out for in the coming years and I wouldnt be surprised they are All Ireland champions in 2 to 3 years time. They will be an All Ireland final at least in the next 2 to 3 years. Well done Donegal , better team won.

Meath we are not good enough. Its simple as. I was hoping we could improve on super 8s but its not happening. We are in trouble and Mayo is a must win game, lose that and its pretty much curtains. What we can hope for then is get more players back from injury. Get more div 1 experience and try and get a victory in div 1. If the league is over, its the championship, get players back from injury and aim for super 8s again. Playing the top teams will help. And if we go down, we should be young enough to go up again. Even though div 2 again this year is an unreal competitive division looking at the results in first two weeks. Its never easy getting out of div 2.

Div 1 is a steep learning curve, best teams in the country , all the evidence is pointing to Meath are not good enough. But we just got keep at it. These games v best teams in the country , best players in the country, is invaluable experience for Meath. I suspose the question is will we learn from it. Are will we continue to be a kind of top div 2 team but not good enough for div 1 team. A team.that can reach super 8s but are losing badly at that level. Thats the level it seems we are at the moment. Still there is the championship. All GAA in every county when the championship comes the hope is a bit stronger. But at the moment Meath are getting a tough lesson by the best teams in the country. Thats what sport is at the elite level. Brutally tough. We just gotta keep at. Hopefully over a couple seasons can make headway. But it looks at the moment we are not good enough.
    Well done again Donegal. A modern superpower in the game. And great gaa supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Congratulations to Donegal. Best kickout in the country, Pattton. Murphy is one of the modern greats. Bonner/Rockford managment team, quality management, lots of quality young players, a team to look out for in the coming years and I wouldnt be surprised they are All Ireland champions in 2 to 3 years time. They will be an All Ireland final at least in the next 2 to 3 years. Well done Donegal , better team won.

Meath we are not good enough. Its simple as. I was hoping we could improve on super 8s but its not happening. We are in trouble and Mayo is a must win game, lose that and its pretty much curtains. What we can hope for then is get more players back from injury. Get more div 1 experience and try and get a victory in div 1. If the league is over, its the championship, get players back from injury and aim for super 8s again. Playing the top teams will help. And if we go down, we should be young enough to go up again. Even though div 2 again this year is an unreal competitive division looking at the results in first two weeks. Its never easy getting out of div 2.

Div 1 is a steep learning curve, best teams in the country , all the evidence is pointing to Meath are not good enough. But we just got keep at it. These games v best teams in the country , best players in the country, is invaluable experience for Meath. I suspose the question is will we learn from it. Are will we continue to be a kind of top div 2 team but not good enough for div 1 team. A team.that can reach super 8s but are losing badly at that level. Thats the level it seems we are at the moment. Still there is the championship. All GAA in every county when the championship comes the hope is a bit stronger. But at the moment Meath are getting a tough lesson by the best teams in the country. Thats what sport is at the elite level. Brutally tough. We just gotta keep at. Hopefully over a couple seasons can make headway. But it looks at the moment we are not good enough.
    Well done again Donegal. A modern superpower in the game. And great gaa supporters.

Pattons kickouts are good but nowhere near Cluxtons as of yet. I think the real worry for Meath is the ease which they are being bet. Surely there is a goalie somewhere in the countu? Brennan today pulled off 2 good saves but was at fault for 4 points id say. You wont go anywhere without a goalie.

Patton does some unreal stuff but it’s not as consistent yet. Better peak than Cluxton but bigger lows when he messes up one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Fair balls to Cavan in the second half of that one.

Some game of two halves - 3 points in the first, 1-14 in the second!

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Some game of two halves - 3 points in the first, 1-14 in the second!

Man down and all wasn’t it? Fair play, and a good reply to being written off last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Man down and all wasn’t it? Fair play, and a good reply to being written off last week.

Down to 14 men from 25 minutes and had a black card before that too. Some rollercoaster.

Five down at half time. Got it level. Then go six points down with just over ten minutes to go. Win by four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Patton does some unreal stuff but it’s not as consistent yet. Better peak than Cluxton but bigger lows when he messes up one.

100% return again today including one which hit the opposition 45.

• Advertisement

This is not an excuse. We are not good enough, simple as. But for any div 2 trying to stay in div 1 to have over half their first team starters injured its not ideal situation to be in.

Look at injurys in div 1 ( as far I can see worst effected, open to correction kerry and Monaghan might have a few, but I think they are near full strenght, open to correction on that. Tyrone have few , I think like Harte, but not sure exact number , I think it was 4 injuries but open to correction on that)

Dublin 3 injured - Callaghan, Cluxton, Sullivan
    Mayo 4 injured- Clarke, Barret, O Shea, O Connor
    Galway 6 injured - Molloy, Silke, kerins, Burke, Conroy, Power.
    Donegal 6 injured - McNelis, McGee, Gillespie, McBreaty, McGrath, McMenimin.
    Meath 11 injured - Lavin, Kane, Gallagher, McEntee, Campion, Harnan, Lenihan, Newman, Walsh, Kennelly, Colgan.

Kerry have pretty much full 15 starting I think, I think Monaghan are pretty full strenght also. Open to correction on that, but if that is right Meath could have more players injured then Mayo, Dublin, Kerry and Monaghan put together. Its not an excuse. But for any div 2 trying to break into div 1 it is a concern and a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Look at injurys in div 1 ( as far I can see worst effected, open to correction kerry and Monaghan might have a few, but I think they are near full strenght, open to correction on that. Tyrone have few , I think like Harte, but not sure exact number , I think it was 4 injuries but open to correction on that)

Kerry have pretty much full 15 starting I think, I think Monaghan are pretty full strenght also. Open to correction on that, but if that is right Meath could have more players injured then Mayo, Dublin, Kerry and Monaghan put together. Its not an excuse. But for any div 2 trying to break into div 1 it is a concern and a worry.

:confused: Kerry were down 3 all star players and 3 regular starters from their 2019 team against Galway last night. So that's at least 6 players they're down and probably 1 or 2 more that are better than what was there. Jack Barry also spent a week on the beer after winning the club all Ireland and still played ok. Few other lads just coming back from injuries. Nowhere near their full 15.

dobman88 wrote: »
    :confused: Kerry were down 3 all star players and 3 regular starters from their 2019 team against Galway last night. So that's at least 6 players they're down and probably 1 or 2 more that are better than what was there. Jack Barry also spent a week on the beer after winning the club all Ireland and still played ok. Few other lads just coming back from injuries. Nowhere near their full 15.

Ok fair enough. I didnt know that. As I said I was open to correction on that. And you pointed out the correct info.
    So kerry have 6 players injured I just read somewhere it said Kerry were near full strenght. I dont know kerry first starting 15, I just read somewhere it was very strong kerry team. I didnt know that. Sorry about that. The problem also for Meath they are missing three best forwards, thats not good for any team.

Ok fair enough. I didnt know that. As I said I was open to correction on that. And you pointed out the correct info.
    So kerry have 6 players injured I just read somewhere it said Kerry were near full strenght. I dont know kerry first starting 15, I just read somewhere it was very strong kerry team. I didnt know that. Sorry about that. The problem also for Meath they are missing three best forwards, thats not good for any team.

Last night they were missing Sean O Shea and it showed as we had no playmaker or reliable free taker, reason given was illness but he got a bad bang on the head last weekend so maybe a precaution to give him a weeks rest. Keeper dropped 2 45s short. Missing David Moran but that's thought to be an extended break more so than injury. And Tom O Sullivan who came on as a late sub and didnt see a lot of action so hard to tell where hes at. Diarmuid O Connor came on as sub also but he was celebrating for a few days too after winning club all Ireland. I cant think off the top of my head the other lads right now, it's late and I'm watching this super bowl but will have a think and come back to you.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Last night they were missing Sean O Shea and it showed as we had no playmaker or reliable free taker, reason given was illness but he got a bad bang on the head last weekend so maybe a precaution to give him a weeks rest. Keeper dropped 2 45s short. Missing David Moran but that's thought to be an extended break more so than injury. And Tom O Sullivan who came on as a late sub and didnt see a lot of action so hard to tell where hes at. Diarmuid O Connor came on as sub also but he was celebrating for a few days too after winning club all Ireland. I cant think off the top of my head the other lads right now, it's late and I'm watching this super bowl but will have a think and come back to you.

Meath have players 5 had surgeries recently. The 11 that are injured:
    Newmans out til June with hip injury.
    Colgans out for 6 months.
    Harnan and Lavin are out til.end of the league maybe start of championship, due to surgery.
    Walsh and lenihan are out for a few more weeks, McEntee who had surgery is out longer.
    I dont know how long Gallagher , Kane, Campion or Kennelly are ouy. Campion was on crutchs recently which is not a good sign. Gallagher has been injured for a while. Kennelly picked up an injury in the Byrne cup and kane got injured before Byrne cup and no mention or sign when they will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Some amount of booing in McHale Park when Rock taking free, but sure it’s only the Dublin fans who boo!!!!

Same as the Yerras last week.

Not a drip about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Same as the Yerras last week.

Not a drip about it...

Sssshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Some amount of booing in McHale Park when Rock taking free, but sure it’s only the Dublin fans who boo!!!!

I think we can all agree there's an element of all counties support bases that will engage in this unsportsmanlike behaviour.So no one can have a claim the high ground re same.

https://twitter.com/fionamchale/status/1223724055016214528?s=09

Can't disagree with her sentiments.

I was none too happy with many of his decisions but the booing was OTT and cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not the first time and won't be the last time Cassidly gets booed. A controversial and inconsistent ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

PressRun wrote: »
    Not the first time and won't be the last time Cassidly gets booed. A controversial and inconsistent ref.

Is there any consistency in Gaelic football refs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Is there any consistency in Gaelic football refs?

Not really. A problem with the rule book more than anything, too much left to interpretation and the discretion of the ref. The whole system is very susceptible to controversy as a result.
    I do think Cassidy is particularly bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think we can all agree there's an element of all counties support bases that will engage in this unsportsmanlike behaviour.So no one can have a claim the high ground re same.

https://twitter.com/fionamchale/status/1223724055016214528?s=09

Can't disagree with her sentiments.

I was none too happy with many of his decisions but the booing was OTT and cringeworthy.

It was childish, but some of the booing at his decisions in the second half was also laughable, it was like some people didn't know the rules at all.

blanch152 wrote: »
    it was like some people didn't know the rules at all.

Speaking of this. At the Meath match yesterday, some absolute mouth behind me roaring all game and a Meath man made a clean catch from a free kick. He starts roaring at the ref, cmon to fcuk wheres the mark will ya know the rules. Mentioned there was no mark from a free, everyone around us just laughed at him. Ah sure what do you know he says :pac: with lads like that, the ref will never win

Some start for Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

Some start for Monaghan.

Dublin really struggle if you can lock off the D. Hopeless shooting so far from distance. Monaghan could have another 3 or 4.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Dublin really struggle if you can lock off the D. Hopeless shooting so far from distance. Monaghan could have another 3 or 4.

Easier said than done.

Evan Comerford has struggled a bit on the kickouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Steps there from McManus is a joke

Mc Manus is an absolute genius.

Easier said than done.

Evan Comerford has struggled a bit on the kickouts.

Yes but it can be done. Monaghan have two lads inside the D marking space at all times when defending.

Beggan is having some game,exemplary kickouts and that was a quality free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What does this display from a Dublin say about Mayo and Kerry?

Beggan is having some game,exemplary kickouts and that was a quality free.

Some boot on him. If you can clear the high press you can do serious damage.

That Monaghan have a better defensive system and also Dublin are down a gear from the Kerry game.

Would'nt read too much into a February night display with an apparently leggy Dublin Team.

Kerry is real live All Ireland contenders,Mayo are a team in transition.

Great credit to Monaghan,bit of a league bogey team for Dublin.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    That Monaghan have a better defensive system and also Dublin are down a gear from the Kerry game.

Indeed Monaghan's defensive set up is a step up on the others mentioned.

Everything they touch tonight is turning into gold.Won't always happen.

They could be further out of sight.

Advertisement