Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020 *Mod Note in First Post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭letowski

The Clare Champion live youtube broadcast is excellent. Great insight and interviews.

Rumours on the ground alot of Rita McInerney's transfers are geographically going to Breen, rather than along party lines.

Conway's transfers are rumoured to scatter.

Very exciting it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

FIFTH COUNT

Wynne Violet-Anne (SF) 9599 (+457)
    Crowe Cathal (FF) 8541 (+33)
    Dooley Timmy (FF) 7826 (+21)
    McNamara Michael (IND) 7702 (+114)
    Garvey Roisin (GP) 6213 (+435)
    Carey Joe (FG) 5771 (+26)
    Breen Pat (FG) 5494 (+16)
    McInerney Rita (FF) 4250 (+17)
    Conway Martin (FG) 2340 (+18)
    Woulfe Joseph (IND) 1504 (+102)

Non-Transferable – 47

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I assume alot of Roisin's transfers will go to McNamara and possibly Wynne? not so much the big (!)parties if she gets eliminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Sixth Count

Surname First Party Vote
    Wynne Violet-Anne (SF) 9807
    Crowe Cathal (FF) 8641
    McNamara Michael (IND) 8169
    Dooley Timmy (FF) 7906
    Garvey Roisin (GP) 6337
    Carey Joe (FG) 5814
    Breen Pat (FG) 5578
    McInerney Rita (FF) 4440
    Conway Martin (FG) 2424

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Seen on twitter that Timmy thinks he will loose his seat.

Thanks be the lord the useless bollix. Crowe got some surge off the RIC thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 maura2e

Woohooo! There is a god! Delighted for Clare that they are getting rid of him & now Michael Martin won't have that dilemma of whether to have him on the front bench or not. ;-) Really proud of Clare electing Violet Anne Wynne SF. Shows that the politics of old can be overturned. Hope this shift to SF will bring a huge change to the way this country is run and the next govt will focus on its people's issues rather than the corporates, bankers, vulture funds etc etc etc that FG has shoved down our throats for the last 9 yrs! So glad to see FG have lost a good few of their TDs. Interesting it took 5 counts for their dear Leader Leo to get elected. Wish he'd got the boot too!

I hope that Sinn Fein get into Government and show everyone how they can make their policies work...and then we'll see how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 maura2e

Yes totally agree. But to be fair they couldn't do worse than what FGFF have dished up for nearly 100 yrs. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out. My wish would be that Mary Lou could form a govt w/o FGFF but if she ends up going in with FF then SF will have a significant say in how this country will be run and I would love to see Pierce Doherty in charge of the purse strings, Louse O'Reilly over Health and Eoin O'Brion over Housing. That could bring significant change for all of us!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

maura2e wrote: »
    Yes totally agree. But to be fair they couldn't do worse than what FGFF have dished up for nearly 100 yrs. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out. My wish would be that Mary Lou could form a govt w/o FGFF but if she ends up going in with FF then SF will have a significant say in how this country will be run and I would love to see Pierce Doherty in charge of the purse strings, Louse O'Reilly over Health and Eoin O'Brion over Housing. That could bring significant change for all of us!

It's not possible for them to form a government without FF of FG. They'll have to go into coalition with one of them if they want to be in power.

I too would like to see them in power, if only to see how they'd manage to pay for their populist give away manifesto. Although I doubt I'd like to see the financial consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

It'll be a sad day for Ireland if the likes of Sinn Féin and their ilk get into government. Maybe Mary Lou can make Thomas Slab Murphy the new Garda Commissioner? Will she be saluting the Belfast brigade in her speech as Taoiseach? And saying Tiocfaidh ar lá? ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Dooley couldnt overtake McNamara after Rita McInerney's votes were distributed. I think MMc will increase that lead after Breen's votes are transferred. Dooley now totally reliant on Garvey's old Fianna Fail's roots to sneak him through. But he is in trouble no doubt as MMc has been very transfer friendly throughtout this process. Will a green vote transfer well to an independant farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Genuine question (please humour me): why are parties allowed to have more than one candidate in a constituency? Isn't it unfair on smaller parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A group made of SF, GP and SocDem might well have more seats than FF in the end.
    That group could then be the primary partner in a coalition gov. ...... IF FF would go into such a coalition.

We might well be facing another election, which would probably be the most interesting result :D

letowski wrote: »
    Dooley couldnt overtake McNamara after Rita McInerney's votes were distributed. I think MMc will increase that lead after Breen's votes are transferred. Dooley now totally reliant on Garvey's old Fianna Fail's roots to sneak him through. But he is in trouble no doubt as MMc has been very transfer friendly throughtout this process. Will a green vote transfer well to an independant farmer?

Yes Roisin's transfers will go to Ml McNamara, if she gets eliminated.
    Dooley is in trouble. Joe Carey needs probably half of Breen's transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Carey moves up to third off Breen's transfers, but less than 800 votes between 1st and 5th with Garvey's transfers to decide it.

Incredibly tight but unlikely that Dooley will overtake McNamara from her transfers. That's not the only question though, as even a mild swing could put anybody but Crowe into 5th.

If Wynne remains so unfriendly to transfers, she might be in for a sudden shock after such early success.

Cathal Crowe, FF 10,659
    Violet-Anne Wynne, SF 10,291
    Joe Carey, FG 10,193
    Michael Mcnamara, IND 10,113
    Timmy Dooley, FF 9,943
    Róisín Garvey, GP 7,339 (excluded)

osarusan wrote: »
    Carey moves up to third off Breen's transfers, but less than 800 votes between 1st and 5th with Garvey's transfers to decide it.

Incredibly tight but unlikely that Dooley will overtake McNamara from her transfers. That's not the only question though, as even a mild swing could put anybody but Crowe into 5th.

If Wynne remains so unfriendly to transfers, she might be in for a sudden shock after such early success.

Cathal Crowe, FF 10,659
    Violet-Anne Wynne, SF 10,291
    Joe Carey, FG 10,193
    Michael Mcnamara, IND 10,113
    Timmy Dooley, FF 9,943
    Róisín Garvey, GP 7,339 (excluded)

While Dooley and Carey may not do so well from Garvey's transfers, Dooley just needs to beat Carey by 250 votes. I think its do-able given Garvey's father was a prominent FF counsellor. But it's too close to call.

I think Wynne and McNamara will do fine from Garvey's transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

However our eventual 4 TDs do in the Dáil, at least they've given us a couple of days old fashioned political entertainment. Last count underway and Crowe is the only one who could even be thinking about organising his digs in the big smoke already.

This is kind of fun watching them sweat!!!

letowski wrote: »
    While Dooley and Carey may not do so well from Garvey's transfers, Dooley just needs to beat Carey by 250 votes. I think its do-able given Garvey's father was a prominent FF counsellor. But it's too close to call.

I think Wynne and McNamara will do fine from Garvey's transfer.

I agree with this, Mc Namara, Wynne, will get most of Roisin's transfers, Crowe a few , Dooley possibly enough to leapfrog Carey, but sure both are hardly inspiring.

Listening to Carey on Clare Fm was kind of harrowing, he kept welling up, obviously it's tough. Garvey's interview was refreshing actually when she went out, obviously proud of her campaign. Well done.

Dooley looks like he has pretty much given up on RTE, although there's so few votes in it...250 more than Carey out of several thousand isn't out of the question.

If he is eliminated, he must be pretty bitter about having to implement a vote management strategy that will end up seeing Crowe ease past him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

osarusan wrote: »
    Dooley looks like he has pretty much given up on RTE, although there's so few votes in it...250 more than Carey out of several thousand isn't out of the question.

If he is eliminated, he must be pretty bitter about having to implement a vote management strategy that will end up seeing Crowe ease past him.

Vote Management? I has two canvassers call for Dooley and one for Crowe. No mention about any voting strategy or even mention any other FF Canditates from any of them.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Vote Management? I has two canvassers call for Dooley and one for Crowe. No mention about any voting strategy or even mention any other FF Canditates from any of them.

I don't know what it would have looked like in Dooley and Crowe's case, but as somebody who lives a few hundred yards from the Limerick border, I know that in previous elections there, when Michael Noonan's election was pretty much a certainty, there were places that he wouldn't canvass in, to allow the other FG candidate to gain more votes in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Bye bye Timmy!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It'll be a sad day for Ireland if the likes of Sinn F and their ilk get into government. Maybe Mary Lou can make Thomas Slab Murphy the new Garda Commissioner? Will she be saluting the Belfast brigade in her speech as Taoiseach? And saying Tiocfaidh ar la

Their day has come.

Timmy Doolittle is gone :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Carey, Crowe, McNamara and Wynne elected, wow Dooley and Breen miss out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Timmy Doolittle is gone :D

PBH is absolutely shyte on the radio programme.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

715 votes between Dooley and Carey, I'd be amazed if there wasnt a recount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Delighted for Cathal.

Some young blood in the Dail certainly will help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Balagan1

Tefral wrote: »
    Delighted for Cathal.

Some young blood in the Dail certainly will help

You'll be thrilled about Violet-Anne so as she's a good 4 years+ younger!

Advertisement