Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Thiem wins, I think he has the potential to beat Djokovic ...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This was a big step forward for Zverev but at the end of the day he's still gonna need to be far more aggressive to win these kind of matches.

Anyway, hoping and praying Thiem can get the job done Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

final is going to be interesting, Thiem is riding a wave of 5 tiebreaker wins in row. I didn't see much of it but Zverev looked good, if a bit passive on occasion.

If Djokovic picked up one tip from the last two Thiem matches, its that Thiem certainly isn't going to beat himself in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

No doubt about it, it will be a huge upset should Thiem win on Sunday. If he brings his A game, it's a possibility though, and I wouldn't rule it out. Needs the serve to click and suppress any nerves. Here's hoping it's at least competitive

Thiem has a chance for sure.

What particularly impresses me is his tiebreak tennis against Nadal and Zverev - he won 5 tie-breaks between the 2 matches (100% win rate).

That is the mark of a champion.

He wasn't 100% today - needs to cut out the little lapses against Djokovic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

lostcat wrote: »
    final is going to be interesting, Thiem is riding a wave of 5 tiebreaker wins in row. I didn't see much of it but Zverev looked good, if a bit passive on occasion.

If Djokovic picked up one tip from the last two Thiem matches, its that Thiem certainly isn't going to beat himself in the final.

An interesting comment early on from Frew - Zverev needs to put more "steam" on his forehand. He's right, he doesn't hurt you with it, whereas Thiem can get you from way back by the fence. I'd like to see Thiem do it, but its good to see Zverev play so well. How he lost a set only losing 4 first serve points is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

glasso wrote: »

What particularly impresses me is his tiebreak tennis against Nadal and Zverev - he won 5 tie-breaks between the 2 matches (100% win rate).

Djokovic has won something like 13 of the last 14 tiebreakers he has played, he seems to have absolute mental clarity in them at present.

that said, statistically over a long period of time and matches tiebreaks are little more than 50/50, so somehting might have to give on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

To be fair, Djokovic wasn't totally convincing against Federer the other day either, was v poor in the first set especially. Also had a medical timeout/intervention for a stomach issue. May offer a small bit of hope for Thiem!

lostcat wrote: »
    Djokovic has won something like 13 of the last 14 tiebreakers he has played, he seems to have absolute mental clarity in them at present.

that said, statistically over a long period of time and matches tiebreaks are little more than 50/50, so somehting might have to give on Sunday.

Don't believe that for a second, surely the best players win more of the breakers and it's more than 50/50?

(stands to reason)

e.g. Fed had a 65% win-rate up to 2018

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/federer-fedex-atp-performance-zone-september-2018-tie-breaks

The elite players have the ability to focus and perform in these crucial tie-break moments.

Even tho Nadal wasn't at his best Thiem winning 3 tie-breaks against him in a match definitely points to champion material imo.

Not saying that he will win but hopefully should be a great battle if both turn up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thiem wins final in 4 sets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First time getting a proper look at Kenin, I think she's very reminiscent of Kasatkina?

Anyway glad Garbine's winning, hope she keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Kenin playing well though. Still anyone's match although Muguruza the favourite ATM obviously. Vamos Gabby! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Kenin has been really solid all tournament, no great signs of mental weakness. Anyones match from here i reckon.

That was some game from kenin. Could never guess you were looking at a slam final novice out there.

Kenin's defence is better than Halep's. It's unrivalled in this final.

Great comeback from love forty down.

Kenin played to win the points back, not just to play them out.

And breaks next game

muguruza can't take her breaks

She's such a clever player, no fierce weapons but everything is well directed. Intetesting ti see if she tightens now.

Seriously it's embarrassing tho for a GS final that a player hits two double faults in a row three times. And another one on match point.

Ugh

Garbine just wasted way too many opportunities. 2/12 on BP's compared to 5/6 for Kenin and being broken from 40-15 up twice on her own serve in the final set, and then not closing out at 0-40 on Kenin's. Can't complain after that.

Not the result I wanted, but hey. Fair play to Kenin, deserved.

Kenins mental attitude was just so much superior which is extraordinary given how little experience she has. Remains to be seen how she backs it up but thats for another day. She was excellent today and for past 2 weeks, very worthy champion.

• Advertisement

Seriously it's embarrassing tho for a GS final that a player hits two double faults in a row three times. And another one on match point.

Ugh

Agreed, I cringed when Djokovic did it at RG.

Now that Williams is finished it's a merry go round of inconsistency

Agreed, I cringed when Djokovic did it at RG.

He didn't double double three times. And three faults in the last game

Muck

Not the result I wanted at all, will be a tough defeat to take for Garbine. Had 0-40 on Kenin's serve at 2-2 and 40-15 on her own serve in the next. Just complete capitulation.

He didn't double double three times. And three faults in the last game

Muck

So how many double faults is acceptable when serving for a slam title? One is ok but three is "muck"?

So how many double faults is acceptable when serving for a slam title? One is ok but three is "muck"?

Three times worse obviously yes.

Stop being silly.

As well as three separate occasions of double faulting twice in a row.

That's just muck, in a final ffs

Three times worse obviously yes.

Stop being silly.

As well as three separate occasions of double faulting twice in a row.

That's just muck, in a final ffs

Ah now, stop getting defensive just cause I'm calling out your double standards again :pac:

Ah now, stop getting defensive just cause I'm calling out your double standards again :pac:

lol you coudn't debate your way out of a paper bag.

you were rinsed the last time on the prize money issue :pac:

seriously that final there was promising for a while but such bad standards just rob it of any credibility.

even Kenin was cringing for a moment there after the final game.

Women's tennis used to be decent and worth watching but that period was a long long time ago. players like Graf were great to watch.

it's sad really.

• Advertisement

lol you coudn't argue your way out of a paper bag.

you were rinsed the last time on the prize money issue :pac:

seriously that final there was promising for a while but such bad standards just rob it of any credibility.

even Kenin was cringing for a moment there after the final game.

What's there to argue? All I'm doing is highlighting your double standards and complete lack of logic. You're complaining about the fact she got nervous and double faulted the match away. Djokovic did the same at RG because he got distracted by a partisan crowd. You'd never have displayed such hostility to Djokovic, or anyone on the ATP, for doing the same thing. Double standards. I asked for your clarification on how many double faults are acceptable, given that one is seemingly fine but three is "muck", but you got defensive and said I was being silly. Not sure who's having trouble arguing their points here tbh.

And again, trying to state that the match has been robbed of credibility is totally your subjective, nonsensical opinion. Who on Earth will look back on Sofia's great win and think it lacks credibility because Muguruza had a poor service game at the end? Just total nonsense being spouted.

Advertisement