Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

House with no driveway, on-street parking - what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The way to make sure it's not an issue for anyone using the footpath is to not have it on the footpath. Put the charger on the road, at the roadside and charge from there. Keep cables off the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I wouldn't be a fan of running cable across the path, even with a protector. Solution is to have a charge point/bollard at the kerb-side, or to run a chase channel across the path with galvanised drop in, or hinged trunking. The owner would simply lift the covering when the car needed charging and lay the cable in the channel to the car. No hazards.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

You could look into a charge arm

not sure if they are available here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

In one of the cases I mentioned about. The owner contacted the developer who still is responsible for the estate and asked about performing work on the path to run a cable underneath for a post charger.

They got told contact the council, council said talk to the developer. Repeat.

The other case also requested something similar from developer and was told it is unlikely to be allowed because in the path in front of their house runs all the fibre cables for their road. So the developer did not want to give permission to allow a channel to be dug in the path to allow a cable to be run for post charger.

Practical solutions need to be found but neither developers or councils are very accommodating at the present. These two cases I know the details of aren't even the most complex as they have designated parking outside their homes but separated by a path. What about all the other new developments where parking is not directly in front of the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think the NMD installed charging arm (the photo with the outlander PHEV above) is what I would go for in the scenario. I know you wouldnt get the grant for it but it works, and is safer IMO than putting the cable on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

I have no interest in an EV for any amount of reasons but the Mrs does and it would suit her driving.

However we are in the same position as many on this thread,end of terrace town house with no designated parking (but I nearly always get the spot outside my house)

It's not possible to install a charger in this situation therefore it's not possible for her to have an EV.Im sure there are hundreds of thousands if not over a million people in a similar situation and I'm glad to see it being talked about.Its the elephant in the room that never seems to get much airtime when the topic of EV comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If you ever plan on buying an EV dont even entertain the idea of buying a house without a driveway.

Even if you could install a charger across the path. There is not even a garantee that someone else ownt park in your space that you put the charger in.

That said i have seen a person who just cut out a trench with a consaw and stuck a socket into the kerb. Then just cemented over the path and its perfectly smooth. I wonder if they ever had a problem where someone else parked in that space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Home charger isn’t going to work for you unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Much better would be to enquire with the management company or council when buying the house, we've had a kerbside charger for 5 years in an non dedicated space. We've never had an issue and run two EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Newoven

I’m a terraced house owner who just bought an EV. I can’t charge at home. Of course I knew this before I bought the car so I was prepared to rely on eCars chargers in Dublin 2 & 8 plus superchargers on longer journeys. It’s not ideal but it works ok for me. I charge to 100% on Sunday afternoons when parking is free around D2. It takes a while to charge at 11kw AC but I just leave it there for a few hours and pick it up later. It’s a minor hassle I’m prepared to put up with for the pleasure of driving a Tesla and living close to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I live in a terraced without a drive in Ashbourne, non managed cul-de-sac, not handed over to management firm and not touched by council so right fudged however i have two options from 3 installers, Cable across path with cable cover or can chase into pavement and then a kerbside pedestal - there is a price difference but as we ar ein a very low foot fall location as in near zero i could live with cable cover and trip hazard signage when cable is in use.. contacted council members in area and was told if installed correctly they were fine, i took that as a " we dont care" reply to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't mean to have a go at you specifically, and I understand that Sunday afternoon isn't the busiest times in the world, and that you're paying for the charge.

But IMO public chargers should ideally be left for top ups for people passing through who need it to get home, rather than a full, slow, charge.

Kind of related, but I very often see the PHEVs with tiny batteries taking both charging ports around D2/D4 spaces for hours on end.

IMO, and as a PHEV driver myself, no way should they be allowed use public EV chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Just to be clear here I'm not having a go,you've stated your goals and what you do to achieve that so fair play to you.

In my opinion it's complete madness to pay however much you had to pay for a car and then have to put that level of planning and organisation into making sure the car can drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

But IMO public chargers should ideally be left for top ups for people passing through who need it to get home, rather than a full, slow, charge.

Everyone is opinionated on public charger usage, the opinions can be pretty much summed up as "someone is using it in a different way to my use case therefore they are using it wrong". Charge points are for charging cars, whether that's a weekly top up for someone without private charging or someone who bought a car with a battery too small that needs a top up either of the users are correctly charging. My only bugbear is the eCars locations where they mix AC and DC leading to reduced capacity on the DC chargers, that's an issue with the infra rather than the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The bigger issue with houses without parking is should they be allowed to be stored on public space in the first place. Maybe a parking garage where all of the cars on a particular street, area could be stored and charged would be a better use of public space than rows of cars on narrow streets, on footpaths etc...

Would mean you could effectively remove cars from streets, maybe leave a handful of disabled spaces or for elderly people.

Leaving space for kids, bikes, trees etc..

Radical change but worth looking at.

You're not allowed put your garden shed out on the path but no one bats an eyelid at a car parked there every day

The bigger issue with houses without parking is should they be allowed to be stored on public space in the first place. Maybe a parking garage where all of the cars on a particular street, area could be stored and charged would be a better use of public space than rows of cars on narrow streets, on footpaths etc...

Putting on the mod hat for a second, that's well outside the remit of the EV forum, probably a discussion more suited to general infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You're probably right, was just thinking in terms of trying to solve on street charging. Maybe we're looking at solutions that just cause more problems and a more radical change is needed.

• Advertisement

No offence taken, I get your point. All EV drivers have to calculate the range available and consider the charging that they will need I’ve just gotten back from a trip to Cork and I had to supercharge on the way. The car needs 80% of the battery to make the full trip so it’s no problem if it’s fully charged, but I left Dublin with 55% charge and had to work out where to charge and for how long. The thing is the car’s satnav will work it out as will apps like A Better Route Planner so it’s easy to do. I’d like to have a charger somewhere where I’ll be parked anyway like the golf club or gym or supermarket. Some do have them so I can charge while I’m doing something else but it’s early days for others.

Your comment about how much I had to pay for the car reminds me of my father’s reaction - 50k for a car to sit outside the door! But I have the money and I like the car so I am as happy to spend it on the car as to watch the cash slowly lose value in the bank. Conveniently Tesla increased the price of Model 3s by more than €3k last week so mine has actually gone up in value in the first month. That and the current diesel prices make me feel quite smug! Here’s hoping it continues when I’m competing with 50 Kia and Hyundai drivers for those eCars chargers shortly.

No worries, I take your point.

At the moment there are 10 22kw AC chargers in walking distance from my house, most of them in the D2 business district. That means they’re not busy at weekends or at night which coincides with the times parking is free and I am likely to use them. So I hope I’m not blocking them when others badly need them, but even if I am I THINK that’s not something I can avoid as a city living EV owner. The answer must be more neighbourhood chargers and more fast chargers for those in urgent need of a top up to get home. ECars faster chargers have a 45 minute limit so they are ideal for anyone in a rush, the trouble is there are very few of them.

My network of streets is beginning to see more EVs now and there are a selection of good spots where lamppost chargers or slow AC chargers could be located. We don’t need personal chargers on our houses, we need to be able to plug into 7kw overnight once every week or ten days. But nobody seems to be listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I once heard someone say owning an EV is like owning a horse for transport. You cant just get in and drive it. You have to plan everything and not push it too hard and basically make a fuss over it. Its like owning an animal you have to care for all the time :) As an EV driver (not actually mine but I drive it a lot) I would say thats true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Where there is a will, there is a way..

This article might be of interest;

On the general issue of chargers, I'm not sure why some EV owners seem to expect the State to provide. The State never provided petrol stations. Surely this should be a commercial service provided on a commercial basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I found a truly green solution that is available here.

On the general issue of chargers, I'm not sure why some EV owners seem to expect the State to provide. The State never provided petrol stations. Surely this should be a commercial service provided on a commercial basis

Probably a bad time to point out the state tenders for build and operation of motorway service stations ...

Which is a tiny portion of the overall fuel station market, a smaller portion than the portion of the current EV charging market already provided by the State.

So it’s time for the great free market economy to step up. It would surely be a good opportunity for existing fuel stations,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

It's in the state's interest to encourage the use of EVs, public transport and active transport so we can avoid paying huge fines for excessive pollution in the future. As it stands, EV charging isn't (or doesn't appear to be) commercially viable and this could discourage people from buying them. This is why people expect the government to subsidise it or at the very least, co-ordinate it.

Once EVs reach sufficient market coverage that charging is commercially viable, state supports/subsidies should be wound down.

• Advertisement

We're still very early days into the infrastructure transition, the state has provided funding to kick start the movement. It's a typical chicken and egg problem, EV charging needs to be ubiquitous to enable EV ownership, EV ownership needs to be bigger to make EV charging sustainable. The alternative is EVs are only used by people who can charge at home and pay for a battery that covers 1000km between charges.

I'd much rather see us remove the €5,000 purchase subsidy for a new vehicle and instead use that money to incentivise charging infrastructure, if we had charging infrastructure on the same scale as Norway people could spend less money and buy cars with smaller batteries.

Advertisement