Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer J. Fong IS The Walrus - Grand Reveal!

Options

Comments

17th place and 1 point for:

Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness

This Joker was submitted by
    …….Rosparkle…..

Aka
    Our Best of the Noughties co-ordinator Necro

Giving them a final Walrus score of
    Comments:

Oh dear, this is not going to go well. I have always despised Manic Street Preachers, their music is generally quite bland and they have a major attitude problem. I find them extremely pretentious and arrogant, particularly Nicky Wire.

The riff here is a bit wearisome, you might think “oh that’s catchy” first time you hear it but by the zillionth time you’re just annoyed by it. James Dean Bradfield’s voice leaves me cold, he might technically be competent but I find him a bit shouty without any real emotion.

I really did try to be as objective as possible about this, because I know they have a large fanbase and plenty of critical acclaim…but I just can’t see anything in this I value. Sorry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's ok to be wrong Homer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

good choon. went through a msp phase at one point

16th place and 2 points for

Slade - Universe

Are spoiler tags necessary? Yollins Roseverse

Aka
    Slade’s number 1 superfan spook_ie

Comments:

I've listened to more Slade in this contest than I thought I'd ever listen to in my life! :p And to be fair I've quite enjoyed some of their stuff. I guess knowing only the Christmas song and Cum On Feel The Noize had made think of them as just a bit of a novelty band. This one, sadly, is not one of their better ones. It's very much 80's power ballad territory (although it was actually early 90's, so already sounded dated when released!) and it just doesn't suit them - it's missing the glam rock touches and the element of fun that their best moments have. But hey, I still have more respect for Slade overall now than I did before we started, so perhaps "Yollins" is the real winner after all! :p

Necro wrote: »
    It's ok to be wrong Homer :D

Seeing how my nominations go down on the Best Of...threads I'm well used to being wrong by now. :(

To be fair I'm probably in the minority when it comes to the Manics, on paper I probably shouldn't dislike them but they just rub me up the wrong way. I'll accept that it's a case of "it's not you, it's me" (even though it is the rest of the world that's wrong, really! :cool: )

• Advertisement

15th place and 3 points for

Kings of Leon - Revelry

Hey Hey Hayesshine

Aka
    And I feel my finger on your Trigger

Comments:

I hate to be one of "those" people....but I did like Kings of Leon better in their pre-Sex on Fire era. :o To be fair I did actaully buy Only By The Night when it was released, and there were a few tracks on it I did really enjoy - Closer and Crawl were a fantastic opening duo. I also quite liked I Want You. Any of those songs would have scored very well here. But even at the time Revelry did absolutely nothing for me. There's nothing specifically wrong with it, it's just a bit sleepy. Doesn't really go anywhere or have any standout moments.

14th place and 4 points for

Duran Duran - The Valley

Our boozy fish Aleshark

Aka
    Lab Equipment Joseph, known to his friends as beakerjoe

Comments:
    I had high hopes for this when it started; it has a nice squelchy synthy opening, and I do love me some synthpop. Sadly it quickly grew a bit stale. It plods along quite flatly, the vocal is almost robotic to my ears. Some of the instrumentation is still quite nice but this is a song that ultimately adds up to less than the sum of its parts.

13th place and 5 points for

JJD & Revelationz Hardstyle - Toss a Coin To Your Witcher (Remix)

Marshallazora Satanwest

Aka
    JUST TELL ME THAT YOU WANT ME, AH AH EEEH…. TUSK!

Comments:
    Witcher is a TV show, that's about all I know....Ok nice acoustic guitar strumming, so far so go....OH MOTHER OF GOD! :eek:

32atmq.png

I'm going to award points here for the sheer balls of submitting something as ridiculous as this. Not that I ever want to listen to it again, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

13th place and 5 points for

JJD & Revelationz Hardstyle - Toss a Coin To Your Witcher (Remix)

Marshallazora Satanwest

Aka
    JUST TELL ME THAT YOU WANT ME, AH AH EEEH…. TUSK!

Comments:
    Witcher is a TV show, that's about all I know....Ok nice acoustic guitar strumming, so far so go....OH MOTHER OF GOD! :eek:

32atmq.png

I'm going to award points here for the sheer balls of submitting something as ridiculous as this. Not that I ever want to listen to it again, mind!

Yes tusk. Great entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

F**k yes Tusk! Ya legend!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That is class :D

12th place and 6 points for

HAIM - Forever

My boy Lolliclarke bop bop bop bop

Aka
    Barney92 is a dinosaur from our imagination

Comments:
    I sound like a broken record but this is yet another case of "verses are cool, chorus is meh". I have seen HAIM live, way back in 2012 when they played support to Florence + the Machine. They were.....fine. Surprisingly loud actually! But I wasn't inspired to check them out again afterwards, and this isn't really doing it for me either. There are some nice individual elements for sure but overall it's just not lighting my world on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm going to award points here for the sheer balls of submitting something as ridiculous as this

I know which one I'm listening to first! That's the sort of description Walrus entries should get :p

11th place and 7 points for

Joonas Rahmo - Radiance

Spencerpop goes the Weasel

Aka
    .......Rikand Morty..........

Comments:
    So dance/techno isn't really my thing, as previous scores may have indicated. But this has a pretty good beat to it. Am nodding my head along, which is a good sign. It's always good to be dragged out of your comfort zone and hear songs/artists you may never have heard of otherwise.

10th place and 8 points for

Less Than Jake - The Rest of My Life

Together in perfecrt Harmony Cullran

Aka
    The Buckeeeet residence, the Lady of the house speaking…oh it’s you Sheridan81.

Comments:
    Have heard of Less Than Jake but never listened to them. This seems to be a pop-punk type tune, probably huge with angsty teens and grown-ups who were angsty teens when it came out! It's fairly benign, moves along quite inoffensively. An agreeable song but not necessarily one I'll be in any rush to revisit.

We're at the halfway point now.

9th place and 9 points for

Métisse - Boom Boom Ba

Fa fa fa fa, fa fa fa Fanghoward

Aka
    And here come the Pretzills

Comments:
    Never heard of this band before, an Afro-Irish electronica-soul band. Sounds interesting. Definitely an interesting mish-mash of styles - the non-English bits appear to be Dioula, a language spoken in parts of West Africa - those bits in particular are very nice and melodic, she has quite a pretty voice. I'd like to score this higher but there is one thing that grates with this song and that is the constant repetition of "a boom boom ba" - it's just a bit too much. Which is a shame, because otherwise there are some very nice aspects of this song. Very interesting submission anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

sometimes art is just too highbrow for some people. I'm okay with it :pac:

8th place and 10 points for

Broadcast - Come On Let's Go

You’re Marflutter-fly, sugar, baby

Aka
    Choose a starter; Snivy, Tepig or OSHawott?

Comments:
    Interesting sound here, kind of old school psychedelic. It's quite a slow burner. Laconic vocal delivery, reminds me a little of Nico (minus the strong accent). It's very nice but missing a "wow" moment. I'd be interested in hearing more by them though, so that's always a positive.

7th place and 11 points for

Placebo - Loud Like Love

The splendid Countess of Bathrobinson Bailecoffin

Aka
    It's very difficult to do any kind of wordplay with Triceratops Ballet

Comments:

I do like Placebo but generally only in small doses; his voice is so distinctive and peculiar, I would find it hard to listen to it over the course of a whole album. I wasn't familiar with this song before listening but first impressions are positive; has a suitably fist-pumping feel to it, can imagine going down a storm live. I hear some Smashing Pumpkins influences in here (though apparently Billy Corgan hates them, which isn't saying a whole lot as he hates pretty much everyone! :pac: ), could imagine Billy singing this tune. Very nice, will definitely be listening to this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

15th place and 3 points for

Kings of Leon - Revelry

Hey Hey Hayesshine

Aka
    And I feel my finger on your Trigger

Comments:

I hate to be one of "those" people....but I did like Kings of Leon better in their pre-Sex on Fire era. :o To be fair I did actaully buy Only By The Night when it was released, and there were a few tracks on it I did really enjoy - Closer and Crawl were a fantastic opening duo. I also quite liked I Want You. Any of those songs would have scored very well here. But even at the time Revelry did absolutely nothing for me. There's nothing specifically wrong with it, it's just a bit sleepy. Doesn't really go anywhere or have any standout moments.

I love this song

• Advertisement

6th place and 12 points for

Frou Frou - Let Go

Yompson "It's a marvellous night for a" Hamoondancer

Aka
    Michael’s Big Cat – MicksJaguar

Comments:
    Many years ago, in the days before Shazam, I heard a track I liked playing in the background in (what used to be) HMV in Cork city. Asked the lad behind the counter what it was and he said it was a band called Frou Frou. The song that was playing was called Psychobabble and I remembered listening to it and adding it to a playlist but I never properly listened to the parent album in full. Similarly I'm familiar with Imogen Heap's big solo hit Hide And Seek but haven't yet listened to much more by her.

Anyway this is quite nice, has a lovely trip-hop feel but a bit more uptempo. Love the strings on it; cello at around the 02:30 mark is really nice, adding cello is almost always a good idea! Should definitely listen to more of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

6th place and 12 points for

Frou Frou - Let Go

Yompson "It's a marvellous night for a" Hamoondancer

Aka
    Michael’s Big Cat – MicksJaguar

Comments:
    Many years ago, in the days before Shazam, I heard a track I liked playing in the background in (what used to be) HMV in Cork city. Asked the lad behind the counter what it was and he said it was a band called Frou Frou. The song that was playing was called Psychobabble and I remembered listening to it and adding it to a playlist but I never properly listened to the parent album in full. Similarly I'm familiar with Imogen Heap's big solo hit Hide And Seek but haven't yet listened to much more by her.

Anyway this is quite nice, has a lovely trip-hop feel but a bit more uptempo. Love the strings on it; cello at around the 02:30 mark is really nice, adding cello is almost always a good idea! Should definitely listen to more of these guys.

I really like that, never heard of them before

5th place and 13 points for

The Gutter Twins - Each to Each

And oh oh woah, I was a Kingolas under your control

Aka
    I sing the Body Electric (Nitwit), baby!

Comments:
    Not familiar with this band, vaguely recall hearing the name before but couldn't have told you what genre they were. I see Mark Lanigan is involved, I know of him through his work with Queens of The Stone Age and that one song I know by Screaming Trees (Halo of Ashes, a great tune it is too!) I like his voice. Love the riff that repeats throughout this song, very simple but effective. Definitely planning to listen to more by these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Love the Gutter twins stuff, its a pity they only have the one album

4th place and 14 points for

Faker - Sleepwalking

Mediphira fi fo fum

Aka
    Also Starring Joan Burton….oops, I mean Also Starring LeVar Burton

Comments:
    More so than any other song, in any other round, this was one I did a complete 180-turn on. After my first listen to the Jokers this was in the bottom half of the pack - maybe I was just in a bad mood but I had written down "meh, not doing much, don't like his voice, possibly a grower"...that last bit is key. This absolutely is a grower, and how! On repeated listens this song wedged its way into my brain and shot up hugely in my estimation. His voice is perfectly fine, I'm not sure what I heard first time round that bugged me but now I'm actually keen to listen to more by these guys. This is actually a really catchy, infectious, well-written tune and I'm very glad to have heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Nice. My best finish! Very happy with that, I was quite nervous, because as you mentioned the song is a grower. Wasn't too gone on it myself first time I heard it, but fast became one of my all-time favourites.

giphy.gif

3rd place and 15 points for

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Is this burning An Eternal (Palka Stephen)flame

Aka
    If you're not really here, I don't wanna be either, I wanna be next you, Green and Red, Green and Red, Green&Red

Comments:
    A modern classic, one that was disgracefully unappreciated by those philistines in the Best of the Noughties thread (it wasn't even my nomination but I was still disgusted by the lack of love it got). :mad: Not even my favourite YYY's song, which shows what a class band they are!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs are often quite lyrically obtuse, their songs very rarely have any clear meaning but the chorus "they don't love you like I love you" is filled with such longing and heartbreak that it's impossible to not be moved. If I had one criticism of this song it would be the "say say say" repetition in the first verse - that does feel a little like they just ran out of ideas a bit. But otherwise this is a gorgeous song that will be remembered in years to come. If I hadn't heard it before it would have blown me away and almost certainly have won this round.

16 points and 2nd place for

Hans Zimmer - Time

I put a (Jameslon Bar)spell on you, because you're mine...

Aka
    Mustang Shelly, guess you better slow that Mustang down

Comments:
    First let me say that I've never seen Inception (yes, yes, I do live under a rock!) Furthermore, while I've heard of Hans Zimmer and gather that he's quite a big deal in the film-scoring world, I wouldn't be able to name or hum a piece by him offhand. So this was kind of a step into the unknown here.

And what a step it was. Takes a while to get going, for sure; the first minute is so subtle and calm that it almost feels like the song hasn't even started. But when it takes off the results are magnificent; tension is built steadily throughout, can definitely imagine this underscoring a very dramatic moment. The strings have a sinister edge but still sound beautiful. This is a lovely piece, and a very interesting submission.

I might actually go watch Inception now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,358 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

If* I were to ever host my own Walrus, Hans Zimmer can never go wrong;)

* that's a very big IF.

I'm pleasantly surprised how well this went down. Another personal favourite that I thought was risky but did well for me.

The entire Inception soundtrack is absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement

1st place and 17 points for

Tigran Hamasyan - Entertain Me

Highway to Hel-raham Jamesorty

Aka
    Oooh phatkev-en is a place on Earth

Comments:
    Armenian jazz pianist, you say? We're taking a leftfield approach to this round anyway!...Oh wow ok, there's so much going on here it's hard to keep track. Jazz is a genre I'm trying to listen to more of and I'm delighted to see some make its way in here, particularly from someone I may never have stumbled across myself. This isn't just jazz though, it's got some clear hard rock/metal influences. And it absolutely works. This is exactly wwhat everyone who hosts a Walrus wants; something they've never heard before that would blows them away. I can't even begin to imagine how much musical skill is required to compose and play something like this, it's mindblowing! It's probably not a song that has universal appeal and in that sense this is a pretty ballsy submission. But I love it. Really do love this. A most excellently played Joker, indeed!

Advertisement