Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer J. Fong IS The Walrus - Grand Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

So long since I've heard this song, need to sit down and have a bit of a NiN binge sometime soon
    Having this and "terrible lie" as the opening tracks to their debut album was some going!

Bit of a change in genre now. The first two rounds were rough on Lolliclarke but they refuse to go down without a fight, as they stake their claim on 7th place and 11 points for Blackstreet - No Diggity

Pre-listening notes:
    Doo doo, doo doo, mmm hmmm
    Doo doo….NUH-NUH NUH-NUH NUH-NUH NUH

Listening notes:
    Such a recognisable tune, yet I couldn’t tell you another one by them….wonder why they didn’t have more commercial success? Fun fact actually; three former members of Blackstreet randomly ended up as backing vocalists for the 2015 Macedonian entry at the Eurovision Song Contest…it did not go well. Anyway, back to the song; smooth groove, some very nice voices actually; guy singing the second verse has a really nice voice. Lyrics are very relatable, of course: “Giving 'em eargasms with my mellow accent” sure don’t I always have to deal with that exact problem! I may lack the medical credentials that the good Doctor has but otherwise myself and Dre are peas in a pod!

Verdict:
    Wouldn’t say it’s my type of thing normally (to be fair, extremely white boy from rural county Cork was probably not the target audience!) but it’s fairly difficult to dislike this one. It’s so catchy and hummable, and definitely evokes the spirit of the nineties, and it’s got 205 million plus hits on Youtube for a reason! Not a song I’d choose for a playlist normally but on a night out I imagine I’d be thrilled to hear this come on. Nice submission. Worst thing about this is the ventriloquist dummy in the video - fúcking hate those yokes. :(

Back to RAWK now! Hayesshine gets 12th place and 6 points for Aerosmith - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

Pre-listening notes:
    Our second Aerosmith track of the competition. I’m on much more familiar territory with this one than I was with Love in an Elevator. I haven’t seen Armageddon (I hear it’s terrible!) but this song was MASSIVE and unavoidable at the time.

Listening notes:
    Nice bit of cello on the intro, the cello always sounds both beautiful and depressing doesn’t it? We then get to the piano and vocals, both perfectly nice. This song does have a nice melody, it is a bit overblown and melodramatic but it’s still got a quality of “prettiness” to it, which is unusual from such a macho, swaggering rock band like Aerosmith. One line of this song that always bothered me a bit is “then I kiss you eyes” – whhhyyy? Kiss lips fine, cheek, forehead, maybe even neck if you’re looking to go a bit further down….but kissing eyes is just weird. Steve Tyler really goes to town on the “yeah, yeah. YEAAAAAAHHHH” bit to make for a suitably booming finish.

Verdict:
    This is the kind of song that I’d roll my eyes at if it started playing but be humming along by the time it’s finished. It’s not a bad tune at all but I think the sense of over-familiarity kills my enthusiasm for hearing it.

Still very much rocking in the free world as we turn out attention to 6th place and 12 points - tonight they go to Fanghoward for Queen - The Show Must Go On

Pre-listening notes:
    I have very mixed feelings when it comes to Queen. Some of their stuff is properly magnificent, other songs I could take or leave, and some songs are painfully overplayed and overrated (*cough* Bohemian Rhapsody *cough* ) Freddie’s voice was obviously superb and he was arguably unbeatable as a showman but I often find the music quite overblown and pompous.

Listening notes:
    So my understanding is that this was one of the last songs Queen recorded before Freddie’s death, and the lyrics are basically his way of acknowledging that he knew he didn’t have much time left. Nice synthy intro, similarities to INXS’s Never Tear Us Apart. The standard doesn't slip during the song, powerful fist-punching chorus. Nice statement of defiance.

Verdict:
    I doubt I’ll ever call myself a fan of Queen, because there are too many of their songs that rub me up the wrong way. Thankfully this is not one of them. This is up there with Who Wants to Live Forever as one of their best songs imo. The poignancy of the lyrics, knowing what we know now about Freddie's imminent death, make it even more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Still very much rocking in the free world as we turn out attention to 6th place and 12 points - tonight they go to Fanghoward for Queen - The Show Must Go On

Pre-listening notes:
    I have very mixed feelings when it comes to Queen. Some of their stuff is properly magnificent, other songs I could take or leave, and some songs are painfully overplayed and overrated (*cough* Bohemian Rhapsody *cough* ) Freddie’s voice was obviously superb and he was arguably unbeatable as a showman but I often find the music quite overblown and pompous.

Listening notes:
    So my understanding is that this was one of the last songs Queen recorded before Freddie’s death, and the lyrics are basically his way of acknowledging that he knew he didn’t have much time left. Nice synthy intro, similarities to INXS’s Never Tear Us Apart. The standard doesn't slip during the song, powerful fist-punching chorus. Nice statement of defiance.

Verdict:
    I doubt I’ll ever call myself a fan of Queen, because there are too many of their songs that rub me up the wrong way. Thankfully this is not one of them. This is up there with Who Wants to Live Forever as one of their best songs imo. The poignancy of the lyrics, knowing what we know now about Freddie's imminent death, make it even more powerful.

Belter

• Advertisement

Yollins Roseverse is up next. So we all know who's coming! :pac:
    13th place and 5 points for Slade - Radio Wall of Sound

Pre-listening notes:
    NIBBLE NOBBY'S NUTS!!!

Listening notes:
    Is this definitely nineties yeah? *turns to Google*….ok, it checks out. Still has that “classic” Slade sound from earlier days (heh, listen to me talking as if I’m a Slade connoisseur! Which at this stage I guess I kind of am tbh :pac: ) Anyway this is….well, it’s Slade. Noddy Holder’s got a good voice in fairness, and it almost has a comforting familiarity at this stage, given the extent that I’ve now listened to it! :D I like the “Telegram Sam” reference, nice of them to pay tribute to Marc Bolan and T-Rex….am I crazy or does the chorus sound a bit like Jesus Christ Superstar?

Verdict:
    Ah sure it’s grand. If you like your 90’s music to sound like the 70’s then this is the song for you. Not sure I’ll revisit it much but won’t object if it too strongly if I hear it somewhere.

We're into the top five now. Kicking us off is Kingolas, who gets 13 points for Marion - Fallen Through

Pre-listening notes:
    Back in Britpop territory here, it would seem. I have vaguely heard of them but couldn’t tell you any of their songs.

Listening notes:
    Ooh this has a tasty riff! Vocals are pretty good, usually Britpop vocalists don’t do much for me but he’s got a bit of power to his voice. Actually can hear a lshades of Matt Bellamy in that chorus, although a bit rougher (and better). Yeah this is quite cool.

Verdict:
    Pretty good! I like this. Has a heavier sound than I was expecting, definitely more bite than your average Oasis or Blur track. Would put this on a playlist and investigate more by these guys.

14th place and 4 points go to Mediphira for The Sons - Too Much of a Good Thing

Pre-listening notes:
    This is an unknown quantity…Dumb and Dumber soundtrack, eh? I have a feeling I saw that movie years and years ago, when I was too young to really remember it. Adult me has no desire to ever watch it tbh.

Listening notes:
    Both the intro and the voice sound oddly familiar, although I don’t think I know this song at all. He has a twang in his voice that reminds me more of seventies style country rock more so than nineties, for some reason. This is all perfectly fine but it’s not really exciting me.

Verdict:
    It’s ok. That’s as much as I have to say about it really. Perhaps it evokes something special for the submitter but I’m afraid I’m rather indifferent to it. It’s listenable but it’s not lighting up my world. After a couple of listens I still struggled to remember this. Sorry. :(

Our 4th place finisher with 14 sugar-coated points is Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin with Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever

Pre-listening notes:
    Oh wow, talk about nostalgia! It doesn’t get much more nostalgiac than this. I definitely remember this song in the charts when I was a kid, but struggle to remember a time before this song existed. This is very much a song I grew up with, and although I’ve never sought it out to add to a playlist or played it of my own accord I still smile if I hear it on the radio or in a shop. This was one of the songs I thought of after Kolido’s “One Hit Wonder” competition that nobody nominated, somebody probably should have!

Listening notes:
    Very sweet, girl-like vocals here, actually a bit like Cyndi Lauper isn’t she? Rumbling bass chugs along with some light flourishes of piano combining nicely. Something very calming about this song, I wonder why she didn’t manage another big hit? My inner bitter, single self wants to hate this but I can’t – some of these lines are properly lovely.

“You've got the most unbelievable blue eyes I've ever seen
    You've got me almost melting away
    As we lay there under blue sky with pure white stars
    Exotic sweetness a magical time”
    – I mean, is this not fúcking beautiful?

Romantic without being too saccharine. It certainly won’t make my anti-Valentines day playlist but I’ll happily listen on most other days of the year.

Verdict:
    Unmistakeably nineties but with clear eighties influences, this song has “guilty pleasure” written all over it but in reality there’s no guilt, just pleasure. You could possibly write it off as inconsequential fluff but really this is a very sweet, airy, romantic song with some lovely coo’ed vocals and a sense of warm fuzziness throughout. Lovely submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So hard to join in on the reveals without revealing which songs I nommed and where I am being positioned lol
    It's a great dynamic though too because nobody except the people who know their songs know where they stand

And tusk of course lol

• Advertisement

So here are our top three and bottom three for the nineties round; below is where they stood in the table after the first two rounds.

Will Marflutter make it two wins in a row?
    Will it be a second wooden spoon for either Rosparkle or Yompson Hamoondancer?
    And will Spencerpop gives us some easy-listening for a change?
    Stay tuned to find out.....

Rank (after Round 2) Alias Colours Score Love Score 90's Score
    4 Marflutter 5 17 ?
    7 Helraham Jamesorty 6 14 ?
    10 Jameslon Barspell 15 4 ?
    12 Spencerpop 11 6 ?
    14 Rosparkle 13 1 ?
    15 Yompson Hamoondancer 1 13 ?

No diggity such a tune!

I'm really looking forward to one of the entries..I hope it's a banger!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Rikand wrote: »
    No diggity such a tune!

I normally don't like hip hop but I have to admit it's a catchy tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Based on your scoring you are going to hate my song for number 4 and you may either love or hate number 5. I'm actually really interested to see your thoughts on number 5.

Tonight's 15th place finisher, scoring 3 points, is Spencerpop with Sash! - La Primavera

Pre-listening notes:
    Off the top of my head I know two songs by Sash! – Encore Une Fois and Ecuador. I’m going to take a wild guess that this one operates in a similar musical space.

Listening notes:
    So we have some sultry Italian one purring at us….oh this tune sounds familiar actually. I probably did hear this years ago, it just faded from my memory. Definitely has a “Top 30 Hits” vibe to it. Brass kicks in around the two minute mark, helps lift it a bit. When in doubt, add some brass! Overall though this is kinda....meh. Only three and a half minutes but feels longer somehow.

Verdict:
    It’s not an earth-shatteringly brilliant piece of music or anything but it is VERY 1990’s. Just like Ronseal, it does exactly what it says on the tin! But I’m honestly not in a rush to listen again. Encore Une Fois would possibly have fared a bit better in the scores.

Taking a Monster 3rd place in this Reveal is someone who's definitely on the way Up! Yompson Hamoondancer wins a Document-ed 15 points for REM - At My Most Beautiful

Incidentally I don't know if our submitter, or anyone else, considered other REM songs for this round but there is one particular REM song (from the '90's) that is among my favourite songs of all time and would almost certainly have won this round. Have a guess, and then see if you're right. :cool:

Pre-listening notes:
    I do like REM, or most of what I know by them anyway. They’re kind of a “greatest hits” band for me, in that I know and like most of (though not all) their hits without ever having investigated their (vast) back catalogue properly. Having said that, this isn’t one that comes to mind straight away so looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Listening notes:
    Ah yes, I do know this one actually, it's buried in the back of my mind somewhere. It’s not one of their best known ones (for me, anyway) but it’s definitely in my brain somewhere. Nice gentle piano intro, really like the drums when they kick in, sets up the song nicely. Michael Stipe has such a distinctive voice, it runs the full gamut between grating and sublime depending on the song, thankfully closer to the latter here. “I found a way to make you smile, I read bad poetry into your machine” – that’s a beautiful line, really sweet. Hmm the only negative here is the “doo doo doo” bits in the background, they’re a bit unnecessary and slightly irritating but this is only a small component……oof, “I count your eyelashes secretly” – that line crosses the thin line from romantic to creepy! This song actually passes by pretty quickly, feels shorter than its three and a half minutes.

Verdict:
    I wouldn’t say this is my favourite REM song but it’s still a very good one. The melody is quite lovely, there are some really sweet lines and Michael Stipe sings rather angelically here. This is a very good submission. Well done.

The good news for Rosparkle is that they avoid a second successive wooden spoon. The bad news is they still have to settle for 16th place and 2 points for Puff Daddy feat. Faith Evans - I'll Be Missing You

Pre-listening notes:
    This was one of the biggest Number Ones of my youth. I remember this being in the charts for quite a while. This was before I knew of the Police song that it heavily samples….in all honesty, I don’t particularly like “I’ll Be Watching You” and that feeds into my assessment of this song. But I owe it a listen with fresh ears, so here goes.

Listening notes:
    That (now) unmistakable riff kicks off, and just as in the Police song it doesn’t do a whole lot for me. Puffy beings his rapping….while I’m far from a connoisseur of rap music, his lyrical flow isn’t exactly awe-inspiring; I’d like to think I can at least recognise good rappers from poor ones, and Mr Diddy just sounds like he’s reeling off a script rather than putting in any real emotion to it. Faith Evans sings her chorus perfectly fine but she’s not really given much of a chance to shine throughout the song which, given that she was Notorious BIG's widow, seems almost kinda disrespectful, like she's been pushed into the background. The subject matter of the song obviously should give it some emotional heft, but it doesn’t really come across in the recording too well; even in the video Puffy is doing his posturing and coming across more like someone trying to sell his image rather than grieve for his departed friend.

Verdict:
    It’s difficult to judge this one, given the subject matter. Was it actually a heartfelt tribute from a grieving friend, or a cynical cash-in from an astute business man? Having said that, I realise this song may mean a lot to someone who has lost a loved one so I’m reluctant to be too critical about it (I hope this is not the case with our submitter; if it is then I am sorry). But at the end of the day this just isn't a song that I'd listen to out of choice.

Marflutter just misses out on a second successive win but still scores a healthy 16 points and 2nd place for DJ Shadow - Midnight In a Perfect World

Pre-listening notes:
    I've got nothing on this one. I’m sure I have heard of DJ Shadow but couldn’t tell you anything about him/her/them/it.

Listening notes:
    An odd seven second intro with some warped rapping, and then a keys intro “Think about it, and understand this” – I will and I probably won’t. Seems we’re in trip-hop territory again, that’s no bad thing at all. Definitely getting some Blue Lines-era Massive Attack vibes from this. Very soulful female vocal, no idea what she’s singing but it all sounds good. Lovely cello at 2:15, can’t go too far wrong with cello can you? I’m liking this very much so far, the vocal samples can be a little jarring but maybe that’s the intention, to contrast with the really smooth and lovely instrumentals? This is quite a complex piece, gonna take quite a few listens to get every nuance of this.

Verdict:
    I thought one song had this sewn up but this is making a strong first impression on me. Musically it’s a gorgeous piece that you can really sink into, and the female vocal samples are very soulful and soothing. The hip hop vocal samples are where I’m struggling a little. The guy who sounds like he’s going “like a fish” over and over again, plus the n-n-n-n-n-noww bits – I could live without them. But overall there’s far more here I like than dislike. Very glad to have been introduced to this.

Oh-oo-oh, Jameslon Barspell may think this is special, oh-oo-oh might think it's something else. Sadly, I can't quite agree. 17th place and a solitary point for Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much

I haven't included the official video here, because the audio sounds weird on it; the instrumentation is twangier and less dancey, it's definitely not what I remember growing up anyway! So below is a lyric video with what I regard as the more "classic" version

Pre-listening notes:
    Tempting fate a little with this song title, aren’t we? :pac: Now this does take me back, I remember this being top of the charts. I can even recall the video with her in the leopard print coat out in the desert. When it comes to nineties music, Shania Twain is not among the artists I’m keen to revisit. I actually do think “You’re Still the One” is a very nice song, and holds up as a genuinely good love song. But this one never did a whole lot for me. Has anything changed?

Listening notes:
    I can imagine a group of rowdy women on a hen night going nuts to this but otherwise the mass appeal this song had is a bit lost on me. Vocals are fine but nothing spectacular (You’re Still the One proves that she can sing but here it’s mostly just talking in a vaguely sing-songy way). Melody is pretty straightforward, there aren’t any great instrumental flourishes that jump out at me. Lyrics are cheeky and vaguely amusing but perhaps not as clever as they think they are. I get a sense of smugness from this song, like she’s really the one who thinks she’s special and something else.

Verdict:
    Well look, the nostalgia factor is probably the biggest asset this song has. It reminds me of my childhood but even back then it felt like a bit of a novelty tune rather than a proper good song. Shania Twain was ridiculously successful, her albums are among the biggest-selling of all time. But what do I have to say to her? "Ok, so you’re a multi-millionaire and sold a shítload of records; That don’t impress me much!"

• Advertisement

And now for tonight's winner.
    Unlike the previous two rounds, this was a song I already knew. But despite some very stiff competition from a previous unknown in the form of DJ Shadow it still came out on top.

Congratulations to Helraham Jamesorty, who's certainly no Dummy as they collect 17 points for Portishead - Glory Box

Pre-listening notes:
    Oh yes, we’re on very safe ground here. I love a good dose of trip-hop and Portishead are one of the best in the business for this music. I must say I’ve probably listened to Third more often than Dummy but I do know this song quite well and look forward to spinning it again.

Listening notes:
    Beautiful eerie intro, setting up like a Bond theme (one of the good ones, not a shít one like Sam Smith)….Beth’s vocals in the first verse have always sounded a little odd, I get that she’s putting on some femme-fatale persona here but some of the phrasing is just a little strange, thankfully when we reach the lovely "give me a reason…" bridge we hear her natural voice burst forth in all its beauty. There’s something both unsettling and yet oddly sensual about this song, like it’s meant to be both sexy and sinister. I particularly love the "forever and EVER" at the three minute mark, that's an awesome moment. Yeah, it's gonna take a lot to beat this one. Excellent choice.

Verdict:
    The only negative thing I can say about Glory Box is that it’s not my absolute favourite song on Dummy – Sour Times or Wandering Star would have been received even more enthusiastically by me. But this is still an awesome shout and one I’m very happy to see. Of the ones on the list that I was already familiar with, this was the one that instantly jumped out and unless a previously unknown tune blows my mind then this is going to the top of the pile.  

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Good game homester!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Looking forward to the playlist for this one, there was some great songs submitted.
    It was probably the toughest round for me as I found it really difficult to stick with one track, the 90's is easily my favourite decade of music!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A good mix to listen to tonight - well done to the top 3! Thanks Homer for another well thought out commentary - I was thinking about the Queen entry (thanks whomever chose it) and Homer's initial blurb on that category being they were a 90's child.

I remember a very early musical memory sitting on the front step and hearing Bohemian Rhapsody playing on the radio - it was my first outward feeling of emotion - I immediately felt sorry and fearful for this guy who killed a man. It was the summer of 1976 - really warm too. I was 8 - it's funny how music from such early years can stick with you.

I'm not from the 70's (Jaysus 60's) but it's good to see a 90's bitch still listening to the likes of Queen. The music generations are short. Enjoyed tonight's category.

Here's tonight's playlist; unfortunately Slade's Radio Wall of Sound isn't on Spotify so instead I've included a cover version by The Chalets (it was either this or a cover by Mick White; had a quick listen to both and the Chalets sounded marginally better)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1IsgHUPEitEFHZxh8HvJxw

And here's the table after Round 3: Marflutter and The Countess are neck-and-neck at the top, while Lolliclarke makes up some substantial ground at the bottom and is closing in on Rosparkle. With two rounds left it's still anybody's game though!

Rank # Alias Colours Score Love Score 90's Score 10's Score Joker Score Total Score
    1 Marflutter 5 17 16 38
    2 Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin 8 16 14 38
    3 Helraham Jamesorty 6 14 17 37
    4 Palka Stephenflame 14 12 10 36
    5 Kingolas 17 5 13 35
    6 Fanghoward 12 10 12 34
    7 Harmony Cullran 7 15 9 31
    8 Yompson Hamoondancer 1 13 15 29
    9 Hayesshine 16 3 6 25
    10 Mediphira 9 11 4 24
    11 Yollins Roseverse 10 9 5 24
    12 Jameslon Barspell 15 4 1 20
    13 Spencerpop 11 6 3 20
    14 Marshallazora Satanwest 3 8 8 19
    15 Aleshark 4 7 7 18
    16 Rosparkle 13 1 2 16
    17 Lolliclarke 2 2 11 15

Thanks everyone who tuned in tonight, I'll hopefully get the 2010's round scored over the weekend and then see if I can fit in the Jokers too, if not it might be next weekend before the final round is revealed.

Until next time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sorry I missed the reveal Homer, good round. Very close at the top!

I worry for spencerpops next submission

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, missed this

Looking forward to catching up

Can't argue with a DJ Shadow/Portishead 1-2.

There used to be a band called Introducing who performed Endroducing live, no samples etc. They were awesome, I wonder if they're still going... it was a long time ago!

Portishead at Glastonbury a few years back is my favourite ever gig. The Other Stage was packed but while they played you could have heard a pin drop in the mud, the crowd was reverential. It felt almost religious, it was incredible :)

The anon thing is a bit odd, I it want to comment and argue about my choices but don't want to give it away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Checked out some vids of that band there. They’re pretty good alright. Did you see them live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

osh wrote: »
    Checked out some vids of that band there. They’re pretty good alright. Did you see them live?

Introducing...?
    Yeah, they were brilliant. Endtroducing was the first album ever made from samples alone (I think!) so they took it on to play it with none, and they were basically flawless. It did mean in some ways it was witnessing an amazing technical accomplishment rather than it being a great gig, but it was brilliant to see nonetheless

Incidentally, I didn't nominate DJ Shadow :p

Advertisement