Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer J. Fong IS The Walrus - Grand Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I really like that Dua Lipa song

Oh Palka Stephenflame, it was going pretty well up to now wasn't it? And then this happened. :(

One point and 17th place for Gamper & Dadoni feat Daniel Ahearn - Close to You

Pre-listening notes:
    Gamper & Dadoni sounds like a wonderful Italian restaurant but I’m unfamiliar with their musical output.

Listening notes:
    What even is this? It’s primarily a dancey track I guess (but also not really) with some really naff saxophone throughout (sax has to be either done well or not done at all – the latter would have been preferable in this case). There’s also some.....plinky plonky stuff, marimba or xylophone or something like that? That bit’s alright actually. That’s about the highlight. Piano is unremarkable, guitars are cheesy, vocals are bland. I’m sorry, this just isn’t my thing at all.

Verdict:
    Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Oh Palka Stephenflame, it was going pretty well up to now wasn't it? And then this happened. :(

One point and 17th place for Gamper & Dadoni feat Daniel Ahearn - Close to You

Pre-listening notes:
    Gamper & Dadoni sounds like a wonderful Italian restaurant but I’m unfamiliar with their musical output.

Listening notes:
    What even is this? It’s primarily a dancey track I guess (but also not really) with some really naff saxophone throughout (sax has to be either done well or not done at all – the latter would have been preferable in this case). There’s also some.....plinky plonky stuff, marimba or xylophone or something like that? That bit’s alright actually. That’s about the highlight. Piano is unremarkable, guitars are cheesy, vocals are bland. I’m sorry, this just isn’t my thing at all.

Verdict:
    Absolutely not.

I love this song

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Green&Red wrote: »
    I love this song

It has a vibe of something else about - kind of Air Supply ish

Which means......tonight's winner (who will have Marflutter looking nervously over their shoulder) is Fanghoward who gets 17 points for Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You)

Pre-listening notes:
    This is one of the few songs in this category I do know but it's been a while since I've spun it. Remember the big hype about Future Islands a few years ago and I checked out their album Singles, it was definitely good if a little bit repetitive perhaps. He’s got a very distinctive voice anyway.

Listening notes:
    Those introductory synths are beautiful, sounds you could just melt into (if that makes any sense at all?) Bass and keyboards kick in and take it up a gear. And then that dulcet baritone arrives. This has all the ingredients of a great song, and they all blend well to produce something that will be very difficult to beat in this round.

Verdict:
    This is a great song, one I listened to quite a bit when it came out but that had fallen off my radar a bit in recent years. I’m glad it’s been brought back into my life, so thank you very much for re-introducing me! When I have time I must revisit Singles and check out their other stuff.

• Advertisement

So here's the table with one round to go. It's Marflutter's game to lose but Fanghoward, Kingolas and Helraham Jamesorty are all in with a fighting chance. Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin still has an outside chance of winning, though it would require both an epic comeback and some heavy slip-ups in the final round.

At the bottom of the table, Marshallazora Satanwest is 4 points adrift of the pack but the wooden spoon is far from decided yet!

Rank # Alias Colours Score Love Score 90's Score 10's Score Joker Score Total Score
    1 Marflutter 5 17 16 16 54
    2 Fanghoward 12 10 12 17 51
    3 Kingolas 17 5 13 15 50
    4 Helraham Jamesorty 6 14 17 13 50
    5 Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin 8 16 14 3 41
    6 Harmony Cullran 7 15 9 7 38
    7 Palka Stephenflame 14 12 10 1 37
    8 Mediphira 9 11 4 12 36
    9 Yompson Hamoondancer 1 13 15 4 33
    10 Yollins Roseverse 10 9 5 8 32
    11 Hayesshine 16 3 6 6 31
    12 Jameslon Barspell 15 4 1 9 29
    13 Lolliclarke 2 2 11 14 29
    14 Aleshark 4 7 7 11 29
    15 Rosparkle 13 1 2 10 26
    16 Spencerpop 11 6 3 5 25
    17 Marshallazora Satanwest 3 8 8 2 21

And here's tonight's playlist; as I mentioned in the discussion, the version of Daft Punk's Derezzed is only 1:44 for whatever reason, and the extended Mix of Rabbit Hole isn't on there so you'll have to make do with the regular version, a paltry 3:09 (sorry Spencerpop!)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/57Yagplss6gRrXXRxlO0Ku

Hope you're still enjoying the Reveal, and that I haven't offended anybody too much with the scoring! :p Probably won't get around to wrapping up until the weekend but I look forward to finally getting answers as to who's who as much as I do listening to your Jokers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Gg Homer. Just caught up.

Loving this walrus so far. Hopefully I can keep a fairly safe score for the last round

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

It will be interesting to see how the Joker round goes. My "safe" options didn't go down well and my more riskier ones did :D

I should of just went with all of my favourites instead of hedging my bets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Really enjoyed that round Homer more than I expected - congrats to Fanghoward :) on the top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I don't know what to think re my chances in the last round, some things went better than expected for me some less well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Good reveal Homer

That verdict on the sax dance song gave me a chuckle :D

Joker round should be interesting given its a blank slate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Really not too confident of my Joker, its definitely a bit of an acquired taste :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I didn't know a single one of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Some great songs in this round! Highlights for me would be...
    Once again, it's a fairly "niche" submission that ends up as our middle score tonight. But it's a big improvement from the last round for Jameslon Barspell, who gets 9 points and 9th place for In This Moment - Roots

Love this. Find of the round for me for sure. Definitely my cup of tea.
    Another player getting their highest score to date is Mediphira, who wins 6th place and 12 points for machineheart - Altar

This Mediphira character (whoever they are ;)) clearly has great taste in music. machineheart are probably the best music find of the decade for me as I only discovered them because they retweeted a tweet I had written about a new Paramore single a few years back, so decided to check them out. Been a fan ever since.
    Helraham Jamesorty gives me a song whose title pretty much describes me at any given point of time - The Staves - Tired as Fúck wins 5th place and 13 points.

Really great song. Good shout whoever nominated it. Must check out some more of The Staves now, think they're a band I would enjoy based on this one. I also love the simplicity of the video.
    Oh, no! Disaster for Divorce Referendum Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin as they turn in the opposite direction and simply run off the course.

15th place and 3 points for Dua Lipa - Be The One

Homer made a big mistake on this one. Should've been in the Top 5 not the bottom 3. Really catchy.
    It's a hugely impressive third consecutive Top Two finish for Marflutter - do they already have one hand on the (hypothetical) Walrus trophy? (Please note that there is no actual trophy, I cannot stress that enough!)

2nd place and 16 points for Cate Le Bon - Are You With Me Now

This sounds somewhat familiar, and the name rings a bell too. Nice song, will definitely be throwing it on a couple of playlists.

Great job as always Homer. Looking forward to the final reveal!

osh wrote: »

Joker round should be interesting given its a blank slate

Not gonna lie, I am kinda tempted to just toss out the previous 4 rounds and just judge it all on the Jokers! :p But you'd all kill me, tusk especially.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I didn't know a single one of them :(

Part of the joys of Walrus, finding new things! I'd like to think I'm pretty good at keeping up with new music but I only knew 4 of these songs (Seasons, I Love It, You Should See Me In a Crown and Chandelier), 4 and a half as I'd heard the chorus of Love The Way You Lie but didn't know the full song.

Some were artists I'd heard of but never listened to, and others were artists I'd never even heard of before; machineheart, In This Moment, Camel Phat and Gamper & Dadoni were all completely new names to me.
    Some great songs in this round! Highlights for me would be...

Homer made a big mistake on this one. Should've been in the Top 5 not the bottom 3. Really catchy.

I don't make mistakes. ;) But if you'd like to make a convincing case for Dua Lipa then I'll swap it with machineheart's score, I'm sure "Mediphira" won't mind! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Missed this tonight :(
    Looks like a good selection of songs I don't know too, hopefully I'll catch up tomorrow

My first joker choice was Portishead, who won the last round, but I changed it to give something you were less likely to know, much more of a gamble. It's not the winning, it's the taking part, right?!

I don't make mistakes. ;) But if you'd like to make a convincing case for Dua Lipa then I'll swap it with machineheart's score, I'm sure "Mediphira" won't mind! :P

Nah, it's all good... :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My first joker choice was Portishead, who won the last round, but I changed it to give something you were less likely to know, much more of a gamble. It's not the winning, it's the taking part, right?!

Why else would I enter :D

So I had my first listen to the Jokers round tonight. Very varied list, as you could imagine. A few very safe bets, others a bit more niche. At least one "what the actual fúck is this?" submission!

Very tough to decide the scoring, have a provisional Top 5 but don't have a clear winner as of yet. Will do listen #2 tomorrow and hopefully be ready to do the Reveal on Monday or Tuesday evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

At least one "what the actual fúck is this?" submission!

Anyone else get that sinking feeling that this song may be theirs or is it just me? :p

• Advertisement

Anyone else get that sinking feeling that this song may be theirs or is it just me? :p

Every damn time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not mine. I didnt go as nuts as I could have and maybe should have

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I reckon mine is one of the safe bets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

I'm actually fine if this never ends...

:pac:

"Hopefully" is a loaded term. Having a really hectic time at work so might be the weekend before we get finished. "Hopefully" Saturday night, Sunday at the absolute latest.

Tune in at 8pm tonight for the final reveal.

That's if I haven't died by then from exasperation over the results from the 70's and 00's threads. :p

Tune in at 8pm tonight for the final reveal.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I can't be there in person but I'll send a video message for when I win

tumblr_mb4lbtER2J1r902pso1_400.gif

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, running a bit late but do have final scores ready. Been a really hectic week so I haven't had time to make in-depth notes of each song, so it'll probably just be the overall verdict I'll give. I'm going to reveal the songs in reverse order, so starting with the one that came last in this round and working our way up to the winner. In each reveal I'll include the submitter, their "real" boards name and their final score.

Before I get going, just want to say thank you to everyone who entered. I discovered some great new music and had a lot of fun doing this. :) So regardless of who comes out on top tonight, you've all scored a moral victory! :D

I'll get going with our first song of the night in just a moment....

Advertisement