Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer J. Fong IS The Walrus - Grand Reveal!

Options

Comments

I hope we're all feeling the love at this point? Ready for something sweet and romantic for easy-listening by the fire? Helraham Jamesorty says no, you're getting self-loathing grunge instead! Alice In Chains - Love Hate Love gets 4th place and 14 points.

Pre-listening notes:
    Wonder was this the same person who submitted Pearl Jam?* Definitely in the same genre and era here. I don’t know Alice In Chains that well, only song that comes to mind is Would? But I like that song so let’s see what this one does for me.

*it wasn't

Listening notes:
    Layne Staley’s voice is a bit easier on the ear than Vedder’s. He’s got some real power in those lungs (well, HAD real power). This is quite a slow tempo song but with plenty of power. “I want to peel the skin from your face” – charming! Lots of drama in the lyrics, he’s not a very happy bunny is he? Definitely one I’ll listen to again though, so that’s good.

Verdict:
    This song is definitely not one for a nice easy-listening session or for when you want to be happy. It’s like a love song that a psychopath might sing but it’s beautiful in its own twisted way. When I’m alone (again) on Valentine’s Day next month, this might be on the playlist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Meatloaf had a handful of good songs, but by the gods that definnitely isn't one of them. Surprirsed you found any worse!

So, before we get onto the top and bottom three here's just a quick reminder of the six players left to reveal and how they scored in Round 1:

Name Round 1 Score Round 2 Score
    Hayesshine 16 ?
    Rosparkle 13 ?
    Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin 8 ?
    Harmony Cullran 7 ?
    Marflutter 5 ?
    Lolliclarke 2 ?
    Ooh, first time I've really disagreed with you Homer - I love Pulp and that version of Can't Help Falling In Love makes my skin crawl!

When I first saw Can't Help Falling In Love I wasn't expecting to score it particularly high but something about it just worked for me. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

When I first saw Can't Help Falling In Love I wasn't expecting to score it particularly high but something about it just worked for me. *shrug*

Ah yeah, horses for courses. I actually don't like Andrea Bocelli's voice, but feel I have to whisper that :p

Hayesshine is tonight's 15th place finisher, with 3 points for Rag'n'Bone Man - Love You Any Less

Pre-listening notes:
    I know that song Human, even someone like me who rarely ever listens to the radio and doesn’t watch much TV couldn’t avoid hearing that! It’s a pretty good tune and this fella definitely has a good voice, so cautiously optimistic that I’ll like this one.

Listening notes:
    Ominous intro…vocals kick in. He does have a great set of lungs, doesn’t he? Verses are quite sinister sounding, in contrast with the romantic lyrics. Feels like this is building to something…..hmm chorus is very anti-climactic tbh. This is a shame, because I was really liking this up until that point. It's just fallen a bit flat now.

Verdict:
    Full marks for this guy’s voice but the tune as a whole package isn’t memorable enough to score this higher, I’m afraid. The verses are good and the strings add a nice touch but the chorus just brings it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Love you any less is a lovely song, it's about an ex girlfriend with mental help issues IIRC, when you listen with that context I think that's why he keeps the chorus low.

And now for something completely different! Harmony Cullran is tonight's bronze medallist, winning 15 points for Flipper's Guitar - Young, Alive, in Love

Pre-listening notes:
    Assuming we’re not talking about the dolphin from the movies I can’t say I’ve heard of Flipper’s Guitar. Oh, this is a Japanese band? オーケー…..

Listening notes:
    Intro is…weird. The opening “la la las” made me giggle, they sound a bit silly. Oooh segueing into a very nice jazzy background here, is that double bass I hear? Once it gets going this is actually rather splendid. Bizarre but oddly charming. Is it a bit weird that I’m thinking of Fairground Attraction and Perfect here? If they had two Japanese lads singing…and were based in Paris. Obvious thought patterns here! I don’t speak Japanese sadly (not yet anyway >_> ) but it’s lyrically flowing along quite nicely. The two singers have very nice harmonies. Yeah, I like this. It's a bit wtf? at first but definitely worth sticking with.

Verdict:
    My initial reaction to this one was one of bafflement but it actually won me over very quickly. I’ve no idea if I would ever have independently stumbled upon something like this. It seems so niche at first but it’s actually really likeable. よくやった !! ^_^

It's an unfortunate case of déjà vu for Lolliclarke, who picks up 2 points for 16th place with Justin Bieber - Love Yourself

Pre-listening notes:
    Ah, poor old Biebs. Diagnosed with Lyme Disease recently. Even if he is a bit of a twat he probably doesn’t deserve that. :( Anyway I’m far from a “Belieber” but I am somewhat sympathetic to the hatred and vitriol that was thrown at him from being in the spotlight at such a young age. I doubt any kid could have grown up well-adjusted from his situation. I do like the song Sorry, that’s a bit of a CHOON, but anything else I’ve heard by him goes in either the “meh” or “eww” category. This one is probably going to fall into one of those, but will need a listen to decide which!

Listening notes:
    I’ve heard this song plenty of times in the background (in shops, for example) but never paid close attention; for some reason I always thought it was Ed Sheeran, even though he and Bieber don’t really sound much alike. Was going by the music moreso than the vocals, I guess. Anyway Bieber’s voice is quite smooth to be fair, wouldn’t say it’s remarkable but it’s not unpleasant either. Some lyrics in this are actually quite cutting: “And I didn’t wanna write a song, ‘Cause I didn’t want anyone thinking I still care, I don’t” – ouch, that’s a burn. “My mama don’t like you, and she likes everyone” – that’s actually quite a funny line, one I’d expect from a “better” songwriter. My problem with the whole package is that it’s a bit bland – minimalism can really work wonders in some contexts but here the lack of instrumentation just makes this fall more into the category of “background music”….oh wait, there’s some brass now, that’s actually quite a nice touch, I like that! Not quite enough to raise it to another level, alas.

Verdict:
    This song isn’t entirely without merit, and if I deconstruct it some of the individual components would actually score decently. But as a whole overall package, it doesn’t quite come together enough to merit repeated listens or a higher score. On the plus side, I thought I would dislike this more than I actually do – it definitely falls into “meh” rather than “eww” and that in itself is a mini-victory here! :p

Tonight's silver medallist is Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin who brings us to the disco and wins 16 points for Donna Summer - I Feel Love

Pre-listening notes:
    What can I say about this? It’s a stone-cold classic CHOOON with a capital CH (and OOON)!! I believe this was in a previous Walrus – an exercise song, if I recall correctly? Not at all bothered to see it crop up again, though.

Listening notes:
    Even today this sounds kinda futuristic, can’t imagine how “out-there” it must have sounded back then! The relentless chugging synths and the siren-like vocals blend wonderfully together. If I was a smarter guy who knew more about music theory and production, I could probably talk for hours about this. But all I can say for now is that it sounds really damn good and is unlikely to ever sound old and tired.

Verdict:
    Yes, I very much feel love for this. If I was listening to this for the very first time I’d be blown away, but the nature of Walrus leads one to score unfamiliar songs a bit higher than ones we already know. So this might not get the top spot but will certainly get a very solid score.

Sadly, each round must have a last-place finisher. Apologies to Rosparkle who gets 1 point for The Darkness - I Believe In a Thing Called Love

Pre-listening notes:
    Hmm….this is one of those songs that I’m very familiar with due to how popular and (over)played it is; I practically know every word but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to it of my own volition. That sense of over-familiarity doesn’t bode well for the score here I’m afraid, but let us see…

Listening notes:
    Jaysus, forgot how nuts this video was! Anyway it’s a classic rock sound updated for the 21st Century, it’s clearly not taking itself too seriously and just wants to…well, rock. Guitar solo in the middle is quite nice, clearly the band is talented and able to write some cool guitar licks. Unfortunately Justin Hawkins isn’t as good a frontman as he thinks he is – his rock-star posing always seemed to come across more as arrogant and twattish than the sense of whimsy that he was aiming for. More importantly though his voice just doesn’t do it for me – his falsetto may be technically impressive but I don't find it enjoyable to listen to. Even in the verses, when he’s not caterwauling quite as shrilly, the tone of his voice just doesn’t do it for me.

Verdict:
    I probably sound like a massive grouch when I write about this song. I imagine it can go down an absolute storm at the right time and place, like at a big event with lots of happy drunk (as opposed to messy drunk) people! Taking just the tune, I can appreciate that it’s alright and might work as an instrumental. Unfortunately the OTT vocals and rock-star posing, coupled with the sense of over-familiarity I discussed in the pre-listening notes, bring this one down for me. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it but I’ve heard it so many times that I really wouldn’t be sad if I never had to hear it again. Sorry. :(

• Advertisement

Now I hope it goes without saying that I love all of you! :p But for tonight the lion's share of my love goes to Marflutter, who gets a richly deserved 17 points for Spiritualized - I Think I'm In Love

Pre-listening notes:
    I have heard of Spiritualized, although I hear Spiritualized is/are very good indeed. I have never listened to them before though because I’m a lazy bollocks. Let’s see if this lives up to the hype.

Listening notes:
    Very nice woozy intro. Heh, we’ve already got references to “wired”, “dope” and “DMT” – I suspect this is a song that has made many people like, hear colours and see time, man! I’m now 3 minutes in, 5 more to go, and so far so good. Harmonica is a nice touch, not the instrument I would have expected to hear on a song like this. Really like this call and response section; “I think…”, “probably just…” yeah really really like this. And just when you think “ok maybe it’s starting to drag a bit”, they bring out the brass. Awesome tune, love this!

Verdict:
    I started listening to the songs for each category in a random order and I’m only on song #2 out of 17 in this category, but already I’m thinking that this probably wins. Seriously brilliant choice here, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Good show Homer, good show!

Well done Mr/Mrs anonymous poster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, love me a bit of Spiritualized :)

Darkness bottom? Wow!
    I have a soft spot for that Bieber song too, lot because of the line "my mum don't like you and she likes everyone" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Marflutter for fluttering to the top of the love round.

Some class tracks tonight another brilliant reveal Homer with lots of great points made.

Looking forward to listen to the mix

Here is the Round 2 playlist with a couple of caveats; I couldn't find the duet of "Can't Help Falling In Love" so I have one with Andrea Bocelli singing it solo. Also I couldn't find the Florian Paetzold remix of "Ready For Your Love" so I put in the original (there were other remixes, including one quite drum'n'bassy sounding one, but none really sounded like the version submitted here so I think the original is the fairest compromise)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1NQgbQVFjKuKxh4q3fyim2?si=rME6SHGgTtWCEWKzKvIu2Q

AND here is the table after Round 2; where there's a tie, I put the person who got the highest score in any one round first, if they're the same then I look for who got the best second highest etc., and in cases where all is equal I just ranked them alphabetically.

Rank # Alias Colours Score Love Score 90's Score 10's Score Joker Score Total Score
    1 Palka Stephenflame 14 12 26
    2 Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin 8 16 24
    3 Kingolas 17 5 22
    4 Marflutter 5 17 22
    5 Harmony Cullran 7 15 22
    6 Fanghoward 12 10 22
    7 Helraham Jamesorty 6 14 20
    8 Mediphira 9 11 20
    9 Hayesshine 16 3 19
    10 Jameslon Barspell 15 4 19
    11 Yollins Roseverse 10 9 19
    12 Spencerpop 11 6 17
    13 Rosparkle 13 1 14
    14 Yompson Hamoondancer 1 13 14
    15 Marshallazora Satanwest 3 8 11
    16 Aleshark 4 7 11
    17 Lolliclarke 2 2 4

Thanks everyone for joining. I might move on to Round 3 on Friday evening. I've had a hectic week at work though so might be too exhausted; I still haven't listened to and scored the final two rounds, so there may be a bit of a delay between Round 3 and Round 4. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Nice reveal Homer, some great tunes on that list!
    I had initially had two different songs picked for both these rounds, but decided not to go with them as I was sure someone would pick them. I was a little disappointed to see neither of them feature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

what were they kev?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really enjoyed the majority of the songs in this round, but the big question is have I or have I not included my own choice among these highlights... The big standouts of the round for me have to be...
    The luvly filling of tonight's Walrus sandwich is Yollins Roseverse, who gets 9 points and 9th place for Slade - Coz I Luv You

I'll admit I'm not overly familiar with too much of Slade's repetoire, but really enjoyed this one a lot.
    Marshallazora Satanwest is tonight's 10th place finisher with 8 points for Shinedown - How Did You Love (Acoustic)

Not my favourite Shinedown track, but still really enjoy it. Although personally, would've gone for the original rather than the acoustic.
    Fanghoward has cast a spell that grants them 8th place and 10 points for John Grant - Love is Magic

John Grant is the GMF, 'nuff said.
    Mediphira is here to cause a racket and gets 7th place and 11 points for The Verve - Love Is Noise

This is by far my favourite song from The Verve, and everything about it just really suits Richard Ashcroft's voice.
    Hayesshine is tonight's 15th place finisher, with 3 points for Rag'n'Bone Man - Love You Any Less

Rag'n'Bone Man has a great voice, and this is a beautiful song. Can't believe you ranked it so low Homer!
    And now for something completely different! Harmony Cullran is tonight's bronze medallist, winning 15 points for Flipper's Guitar - Young, Alive, in Love

What the f**k just happened? At first I thought it was a joke having this in 3rd place, but by song's end I was actually shocked it hadn't gotten 1st!
    Now I hope it goes without saying that I love all of you! :p But for tonight the lion's share of my love goes to Marflutter, who gets a richly deserved 17 points for Spiritualized - I Think I'm In Love

On first listen, probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but played it a couple more times and it definitely is growing on me more and more.

Another great reveal Homer. Kudos. May not be around for the live reveal of the next round as I'm away to the continent for the weekend, but will catch up upon my return with some thoughts, I'm sure... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

osh wrote: »
    what were they kev?

I would have put the house on this paint it black being picked:o

Yeah thought paint it black and purple rain would make it in first round. I thought them too well known myself, prefer to go for something a bit different.

Not sure I know the bon iver song. Will have to have a listen

• Advertisement

I should have maybe just gone for nick drake pink moon first round given homer liked him in previous walruses :)

Edit: in case you haven't heard it yet homer. probably his most famous song though

Rag'n'Bone Man has a great voice, and this is a beautiful song. Can't believe you ranked it so low Homer!

What the f**k just happened? At first I thought it was a joke having this in 3rd place, but by song's end I was actually shocked it hadn't gotten 1st!
    [/B]

I had the same initial reaction to Flipper's Guitar but the more I listen to it the more I love it! That definitely rivals Spiritualized and LUH from Round 1 as the "find" of the competition for me thus far.

With regards to Rag'n'Bone Man, ranking it third last does seem harsh but that's more of a reflection of the high standard of the round than anything else. In a weaker round it might have got a more middling score, and if the chorus held up to the standard set by the verses then it certainly would have placed higher (I did read Trigger's note about the subject matter and why it might be that the chorus is "lacking", but you don't need a happy sing-along chorus to still make an impact and sadly this song just didn't strike the right note with me, felt like something was missing).
    phatkev wrote: »
    I would have put the house on this paint it black being picked:o

Pain It Black would certainly have done well but I'm not crazy about Bon Iver, just another case of someone's voice not being to my taste. So maybe it was best you left that one out! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I had Paint it Black link copied for inclusion but then another colour caught my eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Very happy that you enjoyed both my submissions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I cant remember my submissions so its fun seeing what i picked too. I think you've been more than fair with many of the tracks I know, especially my own tracks.

I hope everyone isn't too distracted by Kolido's '90's comp to dedicate a little of their time to my very own '90's Reveal here!

3. "You're from the 70's but I'm a 90's bitch"

I was born in December 1989, and so technically missed out on being a 90's kid by three weeks. :( But hearing a 90's song that I haven't heard for years can bring back memories of watching Top 30 Hits and (on the rare Sunday morning when I didn't have to go to mass) 2TV, and give a nice nostalgia feeling. Here you need to give me one of your favourite tunes from the 90's. It was the time of grunge, shoegaze, trip-hop, Britpop, girl power, rave and many many other music eras, so you won't be short of options!

So let's see what ye all brought to the table for this one....

tumblr_n6g8x3WIwz1ssaw6co1_500.gif

The scoring for this competition works out a little strangely sometimes; the song that I would regard as the most divisive and "out there" submission for this round has ended up getting the "I have no strong feelings one way or the other" score! 9th place and 9 points go to Harmony Cullran for KMFDM - Stray Bullet

Pre-listening notes:
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not a fúckin’ clue who or what this is! Oh it’s a German industrial band…fair enough. Gehen wir!

Listening notes:
    Well from the very first notes I can tell this is gonna be a LOUD one, bit of a Sonic Youth-esque intro…then all of a sudden drums that sounds like someone banging on metal dustbins appear…and now techno beats? Oh wow, this vocal is certainly a thing! It’s plodding along quite conventionally though for a song that has lyrics like “I am your apocalypse”…but wait! It changes again. The tempo escalates with the entry of the titular “stray bullet”…lordy this is jolting all over the place, it’s hard to keep up!! I get the feeling this is a song that works better in a live setting than on record; can easily imagine a crowd going absolutely mental to this with at least five percussionists and shítloads of pyro on stage.

Verdict:
    Well it’s certainly different, anyway! Definitely not what I’d consider a “safe” choice, so kudos to our submitter for rolling the dice and taking a chance here. Variety is the spice of life and I can imagine music like this having a place in my life but it would have to be a very particular time, place and mood to make me put this on again.

We're keeping things LOUD for 10th place and 8 points, which go to Marshallazora Satanwest for Metallica & the San Francisco Orchestra - No Leaf Clover (Live)

Pre-listening notes:
    Metallica wouldn’t generally be my thing but a live performance featuring an orchestra has me intrigued.

Listening notes:
    Suitably bombastic intro, I like the orchestra anyway! Some lovely woodwind around the forty-second mark…is that an oboe? Ah the guitars kick in at the minute mark, think I preferred when it was mainly the orchestra to be honest. Gruff vocals in the verses, as to be expected…oh interesting vocal effect on the chorus. I actually like Hetfield more when he sings softer and lower, the whole gruff belty thing is a bit tiresome. I really like the line in the chorus: “Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, Is just a freight train coming your way” that’s clever. On to the main instrumental now, its as booming and powerful as you’d expect. The orchestra definitely adds a powerful extra layer to this, it’s much more effective than it would have been with the band on its own.

Verdict:
    I doubt I’ll ever be a Metallica fan, though I certainly respect their talent and the influence they’ve had on other musicians. Had this been a standard Metallica album track, with just the band performing in the studio, it probably wouldn’t have scored particularly well. The live orchestra definitely enhances the quality of the overall package.

We're taking the volume down just a notch now, as we revisit a band we met in Round 2; Palka Stephenflame gets 8th place and 10 points for Pulp - Do You Remember The First Time?

Pre-listening notes:
    Ah Pulp, haven’t listened to them since Round 2! As I mentioned in that previous round, I really only know their two big hits well; I do vaguely recall hearing this one before but certainly don’t know well.

Listening notes:
    Nice shimmery intro, jingles along quite nicely ….hmm Cocker’s voice doing the weird thing on the word ‘strange’, “stray-eeay-ange” is a bit grating, I just can’t get on board with his voice too much. Chorus is decent, quite bittersweet (though more bitter than sweet!) It’s definitely more accessible than F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E. was anyway. Holds up together quite well overall, some rather nice instrumental flourishes.

Verdict:
    It’s no Disco 2000 but I do like this one more than the Pulp song in the previous round, both musically and lyrically. Jarvis’s voice is quite distinctive but it’s not a particularly pleasant voice to listen to if I’m honest, as such I reckon I could only really handle Pulp in small doses even if I quite like the tunes musically.  

• Advertisement

And after a comparitively brief respite for our ears, the dials get turned right back up to 11 again! For the second round in a row, Aleshark gets an 11th place finish and 7 points for Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole

Note this isn't the official video, which is about 30 seconds shorter and has the intro cut out; I initially listened to the lyric video (for the lyrics!) and it makes sense to include it here, given I specifically mention the intro below!

Pre-listening notes:
    This is not Closer, nor is it Hurt. Thus it’s not one I know. I imagine NIN is a band I probably would quite like, I just haven’t ever really gotten around to them.

Listening notes:
    Nice percussive intro, building anticipation quite nicely….groovy bass kicks in, like the bridge: “No you can’t take it, no you can’t take it, no you can’t take that away from me” sounds really good up to this point. Lost me a bit of the chorus though, it sounds more like it comes from a "stadium rock" song and is missing the murkier, menacing industrial sound of the rest of the song.

Verdict:
    Not bad at all, but I’m afraid Closer would have scored higher than this one. There seems to be at least one song in every round that has me nodding along during the verses only to lose me at the chorus; this is what happened here, though it's still a pretty decent tune overall.

Advertisement