Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

It must be very traumatic for you...having those delicate psychological sensibilities pounded by the Angelus every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jaysus did Ballsy introduce Daniel McConnell as Daniel O’ Connell at the programme start.

That said,folks, let’s not take these journos too seriously, dudes like McConnell spout stuff as if they know everything.

They may be right………sometimes…. but Ballsy and all these talking heads are playing for the same team….. so,as I do, don’t be taken in but some of the bull they put out.

The ‘luvvies ‘ are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The first input from the female contributor was to point out that the nphet v gov spat was due to gender.

Jesus , Michael Harding on again.

Must be topping the charts of 'most used guest' in RTE.

You get the feeling he is used as filler, just to pad out the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Getting very predictable and tiresome at this stage, a bit like the whole show at this point. But I’m sure such that gender card related comments are guaranteed to get “likes” from Ballsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thats the kind WOKE fluff which passes for insightful and important commentary nowadays .

Ballsy quick to second guess Dan o Brien for pointing out how not one person under fourteen had died from covid , the gimp then had to row back five minutes later and confirm that o Brien was indeed correct , the goal was met though , to deter any notion that this might not be a threat to kids

o Connor is the biggest company man on irish radio these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭dublin49

in fairness he said one of the producers thought that statement re young deaths might not be accurate,he was then in the unenviable situation of ignoring what might be an insensitive remark or challenging it ,

he rowed back and accepted that Dan o Brien was indeed correct within a minute or two , his questioning o Briens comments was purely designed to sway listeners from thinking kids are at no threat from covid

My interpretation was there was concern from producers tranmitted to him and he caveated Dan O Briens statement until it was checked and quickly withdrew the caveat once it was checked.

• Advertisement

why so quick to question the validity of o Briens comment ?

Maybe in this woke time there is a hyper sensitivity to giving possible offence with an inaccurate statement.

Someone did make a good point during the show today.

That if it's found that the new variant isn't as dangerous, and the numbers in hospital keep improving, just drop the new restrictions instantly. Forget about any date in the future, do it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

It was a good point, not 100% sure who made it, but whoever it was will be a long time waiting for another invite from the media, a bit like Dan, who is on far too infrequently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was Dan O Brien who made that point and he was bang on. Instead of engaging with the point he made BOC deferred to the other panelist, Laura Durcan, who agreed with his point. This was followed up by BOC floundering about to tow the government line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I generally like Stephen Fry..... but what a media hoore

As usual question radio presenter ..... 'Tell me about your first ****'? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Didn’t take long for Brendan to bring up the 50% no shows for booster vaccines.

Donnelly, Martin and Reid will be happy that the state broadcaster follows the official line that the public are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭littlevillage

To

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I don’t rate MM as a politician but as a father and human he came across very real discussing the loss of two of his children. I think I forget at times they are human after all. Good interview, some interesting insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Micheál Martin on with Beefy this morning.

Not a bad interview, I thought, even if the latter did have to bring up the misery quota by raising the matter of the Taoiseach's personal family tragedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Didn't hear all of it, but of what I did had hoped that 'ballsy' would actually question our leader about the supposed protection that our wonderful vaccination system offered and why we need more boosting all of a sudden?

However the Pandemic Poet has appeared which induces an immediate and swift Pavlovian response, to reach for the OFF switch.

You made the right call.

The Christmas Mental Elf is now getting its usual airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

That was tacky and irrelevant. The whole interview was littered with parochial 'come eer to me and ' like ' interjections. He should remember he is on national radio and not some back street amateur hour radio in Cork.

Corkonian here. The two rival talk radio presenters down this way (Peedge and Prendeville) don't indulge in these silly Joe Duffy-esque colloquialisms, I don't know why the beefy ballsy fella feels the need to.

I can only come to the conclusion that there is an imperative for RTÉ interviewers to bring up family tragedies at every possible occasion whether relevant or not to the interview, and especially coming up to Christmas. Who is dictating this? Did the organisation hire in some pop psychologist who suggested it was good for the mental health of the nation to be forever reminded of everybody else’s misery in order to keep from being unrestfully envious of guests or speakers on the various shows? I can only imagine there is some design and purpose behind it.

I think Michéal Martin is probably a particularly nice human being, outside of politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I turned off the interview before it was over out of pure frustration.

We keep being told about the COVID crisis upon us, that we are facing a bigger challenge than ever before in this pandemic. Vaccine Vaccine Vaccine….Booster Booster Booster, the drip feeding of scare and misery is endless.

Then Brendan asks……can people living in the UK come home for Christmas. Yeah no problem, if they have the booster or not. So just to be sure to be sure, we will allow people living in a country with a huge spike in the most transmissible variant home to a country with a health service on its knees.

If Animal, Scooter and the Swedish Chef from the Muppets became the leaders of our country…….would we notice a difference ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ballsy and others don’t seem to be able to sustain two hours anymore.

Has to be a reason…. Would Noel have anything to do with it.

You have Drivetime now having the last half hour passed over to Paddy O’Gorman and before that PBH.

Load of bolloxe.

Advertisement