Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Haha I knew when the guy went off on a tangent about his job at the first question that he was going to be a dose. BOC probably had the same feeling. The guy is in love with himself I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep.

Bang of the jobsworth off that contributer.

such boring fare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

O'Connor appears totally surprised about journalists phones being bugged!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

conor Lenihan ??? Really??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Fond memories of listening to 'Get an earful of this' as a teenager. Radio Luxemburg came a close second on my little transister.

Great to hear Rosaleen a very funny woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was there a misery/mental health/fitness/diet segment yet? Did he say "listen" at all?

Am listening to playback on BBC Sounds about niche podcasts. Great stuff, and the choice of topics from BBC overall is amazing and easy to search and find on the app.

RTE is samey, formulaic, and full of The Family of RTE wannabes. Can't stand it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Brendan giving her nothing back when she makes a joke.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

It was a non-PC joke and Brendan was afraid to find it funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Coming up later after Brendan, women in the military and their stories of abuse at male superiors. Fcuk me is there no end to the victims queue at Donnybrook hq?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting they should stay silent and let the “boys be boys”?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I know it's a running joke on the thread now and I don't know if anyone would believe this but I was honestly in the kitchen making lunch and the radio hadn't been turned on at all today so far. I thought about switching on but thought ,"nah".

Then when eating lunch I though "ah sure ill stick it on while I eat this"

Switch on.

Ballsy and guest talking about grieving over the deaths of their siblings.

I've no right to complain or anything. The exact thing I thought would be discussed was being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It takes a fair bit of skill to turn an interview with the bould and manically upbeat Hector into a miseryfest, but Beefy managed it with gusto.

Could someone please explain why O'Connor was given this slot when Marian died? RTE have **** loads of staffers who could do it better and for a lot less money, Rachel English for example.

I’d say they were terrified Newstalk would “poach” him as a replacement for Ivan. Misreading the mood of the country just as they did when they took Ray D’Arcy away from Today FM.

The tide is turning…

I think Brendan has turned into a parody of himself. The repetitive words and phrasing (“listen”), the endless verbal apologia in case anyone is offended by a contributor’s comment (“we’re not suggesting everyone lives in a tree house”) and the brutal ending of an interview (Jenni Murray today, hastened off the airwaves).

I’m not sure what the programme is trying to be, but whatever it is, it ain’t making it.

Ever since the RTÉ payout to the homophobes, Brendan has been a slave to the RTÉ “balance”. As long as he gets thing balanced by the end of the show it is deemed a success.

The tide is turning…

Jesus wept. RTE sports hack (Greg Allen) at the Ryder Cup is blaming an animated crowd on Trump.

Seriously. What an absolute bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"... a lot of young people shouting at the radio right now."

I doubt there's too many"young people" listening to you, Brendan.

The mental elf slot again.

• Advertisement

And the world media is racist for reporting on the Petito case (courtesy of Sophie White, another unbiased contributor).

Beefy pondering why Friends hasn't been "cancelled" given how "unwoke" (paraphrasing) it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

You'd wonder what it costs to send that lad and his team to the US....

and that Sophie wan, its amazing how they can find a "rasist" or misogyny angle in every story they cover, its a virus which has taken root in rte some time back, ah I miss Charles Mitchell telling us what happened and leaving us to make up our own minds like adults

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭CptMonkey

Show was fairly poor this morning. The economist saying the housing shortage isn’t a major issue 🙈

where do they find these people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ballsy Sticking up for the Irish footballer who won't take the vaccine: it's a bad idea to harangue people like this!!!

Radio on

ex td john halligan

radio off

It's interesting that the late Marian Finucanes thread was 100 times busier than this one, even though that her work/show was pretty poor for well over a decade at the time of her death. The worst thing than being talked about is not being talked about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Did I hear the contributor Eileen / Ellen say that the banks were offering more money than they were comfortable to take?

• Advertisement

I’m a sales rep. Travel around a lot and talk to lots of people during my work day.

Anecdotally from talking to ppl on Mondays most of them never mention the show or him. I have brought it up a few times and the general vibe is “can’t stand Brendan o connor, hes sanctimonious, insincere, fake, etc etc”

for all her faults Finucane seemed to have more of a connection with the audience

Advertisement