Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

Brendan hones in on the mental elf and daily poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It was a completely legitimate question to ask/observation to make and I was both shocked by the GP’s reaction and O’Carroll’s groveling back-pedaling apology - neither of which were proportionate. Some in the medical profession seem to have a grossly over-inflated opinion of their own contribution to the fight against Covid. She is a GP administering vaccines in a rural practice, not an ED or an ICU nurse treating dying patients and exposed to the virus daily. She also would have seen her income increase dramatically during Covid, where the nurse in the example above will be getting a €1,000 once off payment. I’ll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No problem for Ballsy Brendan. The mental health of the nation is his mission, no problem filling up two hours with babble and self analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The ballsy nickname was never a reference to any supposed actual cojones. Its because of an infamous 2007 Sunday Independent article in which he assured readers the "smart, ballsy guys" were all buying property now, despite the fact that the property crash had well and truly begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The same ‘smart, ballsy guys’ who later went crying to the courts to save their own skins and houses?

And expected the ‘slakkies’ in the taxpayers cohort to bail them out?

Nice one Jemser!!!

• Advertisement

Even Brendan sounds bored..

Marian would have made an interview like this interesting. Ballsy just sounds depressed.

Imelda May - overly self opinionated and national treasure not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Great interview with Joanna Lumley there. Reckon Brendan will be fine once the covid talk drops off completely. Will give him a chance to really show his “stuff”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Creativity/record company styling seems to have dried up of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,645 ✭✭✭✭elperello

She is such a pro, almost the perfect interviewee.

I enjoyed Imelda too.

I thought apart from the first segment being about ten minutes longer than it needed to be that today's show was pretty good.

• Advertisement

No update so far today. Just 1 hour to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

Thought the bit on the CAMHS scandal was quite good. Particularly the point that I think was texted in by a former member of the service, that what's needed is more "talk therapy" not necessarily more psychiatrists, whose job mainly seems to be to prescribe medication.

So, while there was obviously an issue with oversight of junior doctors in this case, and you need experienced consultants to handle that. But, I don't really buy the government's line that this problem is not about resources. The easiest and cheapest answer is always going to be to give someone a prescription and send them on their way. The various types of talk therapy are much more time consuming and therefore costly.

Proper diagnosis is important in all areas of health.

Too often in the public system prescriptions are used inappropriately.

An experienced consultant can in many cases save the patient from years of medication and it can actually work out cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

His thank you to Lumley at the end was so embarrassing, so obsequious. Am thinking of her silky tones and his awful Cark accent by.

Reminded me of Miriam O C saying to Van at the end of her interview; Thank you for your patience.

But Brendan's 'It's been SO LOVELY talking to you' spiel was too much. The next thing he'll be inviting her to Cork. I think he tends to be starstruck by the beautiful people (remember his interview with Nigella?) and embarrasses himself.

Post edited by bobbyss on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I never heard of Jonathan Joly before. If I never hear of him again I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I dunno I think it'll all end in tears, come back in ten years time Jonathan and bring your son Eduardo with you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RTE is just so formulaic. I very rarely turn it on anymore, far too parochial, full of BS, dubious celebrity presenters, and a terrible fear of upsetting the Government of the day by critiquing anything that the public is interested in.

At the moment I am enjoying an LBC phone in about Johnson's wife Carrie (Lady Macbeth) and her influence on his PMship. UK radio is just so engaging and different to the usual small country, local issues stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Giving that Saccone-Joly gom airtime to promote his nonsense book is surely a low point, even for this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not too sure about that. I just turned on LBC (5:35am).

First words: "where were you when Diana died?" repeated to every caller for the last five minutes.

You must be listening to a different RTE.

They never stop criticizing the Govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought the segment with Mairead Ronan, about how she decided to stop her daily gig so that she could spend more time at home, was a low too. The Marie Antoinette vibes off it was something to behold.

Two programmes which,for me, were standouts are very rapidly circling the drain.

Ballsy’s programme on weekends

Clare Byrnes on weekdays.

Ballsy is only able to go for the hour now, then it’s an interview with ‘usually’ some headbanger with a book, or some scone with anRTE connection like we had yesterday.

These programmes in my opinion are on their last legs in their current set up, far far removed from the status of the same programmes under different presenters and more importantly different production teams.

When was this?

I could tell you stories….

just before Christmas she was on the cover of RSVP (or one of those rags) talking about spending more time with her children. Except the photo only had her two children with her second husband, and not her son from her first marriage….who is in boarding school btw….so clearly she wants to see him every day….

I’d agree with you there on BO’C Brendan. I can’t listen to CB during the week for work reasons so can’t comment on that, but while I will listen most weekend-days to the first hour of BO’C I normally switch off at 12 as the second hour has reached “Today with Maura and Daithi” levels of filler.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Could be worse. This is Eduardo, the kid from the previous guest. I thought Joly was talking about his son Eduardo and his gender questioning as if his kid was 19 or 20 years of age but eh....

Yesterday was a low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Saturday morning.

How she conducts her domestic life is her own business. But I don't think the public broadcaster should be giving publicity to those seeking publicity! They could easily have covered the topic of "woman quitting work to spend more time with young family" without interviewing the wife of a multi millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

I though the other guests in the segment were more interesting but I understand why they included Mairead Ronan. Wasn't aware that her hubby was quite that wealthy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Advertisement

Absolutely her own business.

If our public broadcaster didn't give publicity to those seeking publicity I'm afraid it would rather limit the number of people they could interview.

Advertisement