Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Abolish car tax

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what percentage of the population are near luas or dart? Dublins transport is absolutely woeful!

At least they have some sort public transport, most other counties don't.

Also they are a lot closer to work, not like a lot of people commuting from Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford, Tipp etc. as they have no choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

pablo128 wrote: »
    That poll would change very quickly once people realised how much it would cost them.

I don't think so. Most of the arguments were trotted out before it closed. You can set up a new poll here if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think so. Most of the arguments were trotted out before it closed. You can set up a new poll here if you want to.

You haven't answered the other poster whether you've given up your diesel car to save the planet. Have you given it up?

You haven't answered the other poster whether you've given up your diesel car to save the planet. Have you given it up?

My personal situation or yours doesn't matter. Keep to the topic.
    Any chance you want to set up a new poll?

It's never ever going to happen anyway so no point in arguing about it.

Car tax is fair at the moment and thank feck it is and we are in line with the average EU price of petrol.

If you really want to make a difference email Donald Trump. They have 290 million registered vehicles on the road and petrol is only around 52C a liter. Car registration fee is around 250 dollars a year on average.

I still think you just want car tax abolished for your own benefit for your pre-2008 car but each to their own really.
    Going by your old posts your fond of classic cars which are brutal for the enviroment. HOW DARE YOU! Has Gretta not thought you anything?

• Advertisement

You started the thread about abolishing car tax but won't tell us how much you currently pay.

You say it's for the good of the environment, polluter pays etc but you drive a diesel car with no indication of giving it up.

Get up the yard. You just want free tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Have only read a few pages of this debate..

However, with the current crisis and level of government borrowing, I would expect taxes to rise next year, income, Vat and Motor tax....

You started the thread about abolishing car tax but won't tell us how much you currently pay.

You say it's for the good of the environment, polluter pays etc but you drive a diesel car with no indication of giving it up.

Get up the yard. You just want free tax.

It's not about me!

You don't know my situation and you won't so stop fishing.

It's not free if it is added to the fossil fuel.

It's never ever going to happen anyway so no point in arguing about it.

Car tax is fair at the moment and thank feck it is and we are in line with the average EU price of petrol.

If you really want to make a difference email Donald Trump. They have 290 million registered vehicles on the road and petrol is only around 52C a liter. Car registration fee is around 250 dollars a year on average.

I still think you just want car tax abolished for your own benefit for your pre-2008 car but each to their own really.
    Going by your old posts your fond of classic cars which are brutal for the enviroment. HOW DARE YOU! Has Gretta not thought you anything?

Stop fishing. There is no tax on classic cars as it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If car tax is fair why does my old 1.3 petrol cost twice as much to tax as my friends new 3.0 diesel?

I guess it's because I haven't paid a large VRT bill recently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

@20 cent a litre I doubt you'll get many takers. You realise that's 12 euro a tank extra for most cars? 12 x 52 = 624 . Let's say 600 a year extra when the road tax on most yokes now is 270 ish.
    My car is 710 a year to tax and I do low mileage and I still think it's not workable.

Reading your post made me think of how much this would cost a motorist. Flat 20c on a litre makes sense but I don't think most people use a tank a week.
    Cut that in half for a reasonable estimate of what drivers do and you're at 300 euro a year which is ballpark where most car tax is nowadays.
    You drive more, you pay more. Can't think of any fairer way and would lose the need to have an administration team taxing cars and gardai enforcing it.
    I'd happily exchange my 280 car tax for the same increase in fuel costs.

Reading your post made me think of how much this would cost a motorist. Flat 20c on a litre makes sense but I don't think most people use a tank a week.
    Cut that in half for a reasonable estimate of what drivers do and you're at 300 euro a year which is ballpark where most car tax is nowadays.
    You drive more, you pay more. Can't think of any fairer way and would lose the need to have an administration team taxing cars and gardai enforcing it.

True enough any system will have winners and losers but this is fairer, greener and simpler.

I'm not talking about tax, I'm talking about the environment.

tuxy wrote: »
    If car tax is fair why does my old 1.3 petrol cost twice as much to tax as my friends new 3.0 diesel?

I guess it's because I haven't paid a large VRT bill recently?

The whole pre 08 car thing is a completely different topic really. Should be brought in line with newer cars.

I'd imagine the same team that administrates the tax would be responsible for administrating the additional flat fee proposed by the OP in his first post.

I'd imagine the same team that administrates the tax would be responsible for administrating the additional flat fee proposed by the OP in his first post.

Not really, few are needed for that, as this way is much simpler. The fuel excise system is there already, just change the rate at the pumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what percentage of the population are near luas or dart? Dublins transport is absolutely woeful!

I smile when I hear the Dubs complaining about their public transport. Come outside the big smoke and see what woeful transport is really like. :)
    Any chance you want to set up a new poll?

Why are you so afraid to give any details about what you are driving or how much it costs to tax? Does it weaken your argument so much, maybe make you out to be bit of a hypocrite or give away your vested interest?

FWIW I drive a 3.0 litre diesel and I do about 25k km a year. I actually thank the Green Party as if it weren't for them I'd be paying €1500 instead of €390 in motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Except they are pushing people away from fossil fuels so it would be a diminishing return over the next 10/20 years. This coupled with less spent on servicing (VAT) with EVs and the Government will be faced with a sizable hole in the take from Motorists. Watch them dream up new taxes the ensure the cost of owning a car EV or otherwise continues to get more expensive every year.

Early adopters may be saving now but that will change once the rest of us plebs are forced to move to EVs (if we can afford to).

The ev battery annual recycle tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

While it might net the same amount of tax and seem fairer on the surface - what it won’t do is discourage personal car ownership which has become almost and entitlement in this country. And our personal car ownership obsession makes it too easy to bother with public transport- which in turn is pretty crap for the environment.
    Think of motor tax as a subscription that comes with car ownership and it puts you off the idea a little.
    It also won’t steer you in the direction of a car that pollutes less per km when it comes to changing the car.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Then who the hell have I been paying all these years for my classic and vintage cars?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I smile when I hear the Dubs complaining about their public transport. Come outside the big smoke and see what woeful transport is really like. :)

Why are you so afraid to give any details about what you are driving or how much it costs to tax? Does it weaken your argument so much, maybe make you out to be bit of a hypocrite or give away your vested interest?

FWIW I drive a 3.0 litre diesel and I do about 25k km a year. I actually thank the Green Party as if it weren't for them I'd be paying €1500 instead of €390 in motor tax.

What I drive or not is irrelevant to the argument. As I said before stop fishing this isn't personal.

antodeco wrote: »
    Then who the hell have I been paying all these years for my classic and vintage cars?

Correction the flat rate tax on classics is 56 euro, unlike 'normal' tax it doesn't matter if it's a Rolls or a Mini

'It also won’t steer you in the direction of a car that pollutes less per km when it comes to changing the car'

Unless you are rich why wouldn't it? The more fuel a car uses the more it pollutes. The higher the cost of fuel the more the incentive to choose a car that uses less.

'It also won’t steer you in the direction of a car that pollutes less per km when it comes to changing the car'

Unless you are rich why wouldn't it? The more fuel a car uses the more it pollutes. The higher the cost of fuel the more the incentive to choose a car that uses less.

What are you driving, a 1ltr Micra?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread has gone from bad to worse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement