Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If I were a Dem strategist, right now I'd be making an advert showing Pence walking around the Mayo Clinic and disobeying their rule about mandatory masks. As commentary, I'd be quoting his words on regret and masks.

Great idea!

However, the problem that the likes of Dem strategists, The Lincoln Project and others have right now is that there simply isn't enough money to make adverts from all of the material Trump/Pence/Mitch have given them as fodder. There are 'truckloads' of clips and soundbites that may never be reprised as adverts, because there is soooo much to choose from...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It doesn't get any electors - They are "non-voting" members in the House.

I don't really understand the system too well, but we were always taught that DC had electoral college votes equivalent to the smallest state. So 3 votes like Alaska and a few others get.

I don't really understand the system too well, but we were always taught that DC had electoral college votes equivalent to the smallest state. So 3 votes like Alaska and a few others get.

Correct!

In a nutshell, DC gets:

3 x Electoral College Votes
    Zero Senators
    1 x Delegate to the House of Representatives with limited voting rights in procedural matters, but not on floor votes.
    Zero Governors (Mayor performs Gov functions)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Correct!

In a nutshell, DC gets:

3 x Electoral College Votes
    Zero Senators
    1 x Delegate to the House of Representatives with limited voting rights in procedural matters, but not on floor votes.
    Zero Governors (Mayor performs Gov functions)

DC and Puerto Rico seeking statehood must really be a worry for the GOP.
    2 states, 4 senators and however many college votes that will be allocated going to what will be very, very blue states.

It harkens back to the antebellum Missouri compromise, although without splitting Texas I don't see where a new red state will appear from and even Texas is turning more purple than red.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Great idea!

However, the problem that the likes of Dem strategists, The Lincoln Project and others have right now is that there simply isn't enough money to make adverts from all of the material Trump/Pence/Mitch have given them as fodder. There are 'truckloads' of clips and soundbites that may never be reprised as adverts, because there is soooo much to choose from...

An embarrassment of riches.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    DC and Puerto Rico seeking statehood must really be a worry for the GOP.
    2 states, 4 senators and however many college votes that will be allocated going to what will be very, very blue states.

It harkens back to the antebellum Missouri compromise, although without splitting Texas I don't see where a new red state will appear from and even Texas is turning more purple than red.

All these very important observations underpin the two biggest achievements of the Trump/Mc Connell era, i.e. Attacking the courts and future-proofing the SCOTUS. Beyond anything else, these will be crucial in maintaining GOP power for the next decade at least. And they are definite wins for the GOP leadership.

As to Puerto Rico, I see DC Statehood as much more likely / possible than PR Statehood. While DC has 3 Electoral College votes, PR has none.

As to a possible Texas split, which might create an extra 2 Senate seats for the GOP with some radical/extreme gerrymandering, which might offset a DC Dem-oriented pair, I can't see how that would even be mooted without splitting California as well. And a California split would almost certainly produce another Dem pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As to a possible Texas split, which might create an extra 2 Senate seats for the GOP with some radical/extreme gerrymandering, which might offset a DC Dem-oriented pair, I can't see how that would even be mooted without splitting California as well. And a California split would almost certainly produce another Dem pair.

Oh I agree, although if it ever came to States splitting I'd honestly as extreme as it sounds, expect California and a few other states to moot secession.

A proviso of Statehood however is that States cannot subsequently split into smaller states without approval of Congress.

Texan Divisionists are of the opinion that the resolution to grant Texas statehood allows for Texas to divide without that permission.
    Although given that Texas seceded in 1861 and was readmitted to the Union in 1865 it could be easily argued that the 1845 provisions are void.

The above is purely hypothetical of course.
    I just find oddly curious as to how the pattern of circumstance and political disenfranchisement that played such a part in the causes of the Civil War are being played out in an eerily similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Wow. Just watched Pence's press. Another 120000 Americans will die and he's saying they're doing well and banging on about success.

That's neglience not far off manslaughter in my book.

Still, when you have a president who brags openly about sexual assault, why would you be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

China ? Obama ? Clinton ? Antifa ? Fake news ? Pretty easy to spin

ha yeah you're right, i'm sure he'll reference all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Midlife wrote: »
    Wow. Just watched Pence's press. Another 120000 Americans will die and he's saying they're doing well and banging on about success.

Still, when you have a president who brags openly about sexual assault, why would you be surprised.

that speech and trump's tweets on corona this week are going to be played over and over next week when things started getting real over there. and it'll be the end of his presidency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Midlife wrote: »

It's exactly what the UK Government are doing, Johnson, Rabb and Hancock in particular. When called out on a lie, just repeat it but with a bit more vigour.

froog wrote: »
    that speech and trump's tweets on corona this week are going to be played over and over next week when things started getting real over there. and it'll be the end of his presidency.
    I'm disgusted with Birx and Fauci to stand there and give credence to the HooRay!!! propaganda and lies being spouted not 2 metres away from them. Shameful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I'm disgusted with Birx and Fauci to stand there and give credence to the HooRay!!! propaganda and lies being spouted not 2 metres away from them. Shameful!

If they say anything they get fired, holding their tongue is probably saving lives

If they say anything they get fired, holding their tongue is probably saving lives

I get the fact that they would probably be fired. I vehemently disagree with the second.

Their 'silence ' amounts to support and acceptance of the lies that are being propagated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I missed the context but it was in Florida I think, people giving thier views on masks at a hearing, okay they picked the nutters but scary anyway. "These masks are literally killing us","you are interfereing in god's natural breathing systems (or words to that effect)" and so on.

I missed the context but it was in Florida I think, people giving thier views on masks at a hearing, okay they picked the nutters but scary anyway. "These masks are literally killing us","you are interfereing in god's natural breathing systems (or words to that effect)" and so on.

I read that also.. Those folks are gonna really see interference in "god's natural breathing systems" when they're drowning in fluid in their lungs and have to have a great big tube stuck down their gullet!!

No mention at all about how their wearing of a mask might prevent others from catching the virus from their plague-ridden exhalations!! FFS! These "I'm safe coz I've been washed in the Blood of Jesus" ppl need to have a public health warning tattooed on their foreheads at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can't wait for his response to the ban that the EU is likely to put in place. I mean I can't blame the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭eire4

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can't wait for his response to the ban that the EU is likely to put in place. I mean I can't blame the EU.

Given how out of control the virus is in large swathes of the US the EU would be crazy to take any other stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,992 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

US Coronavirus death toll nears 125,000

Wow is all I can say tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Headshot wrote: »

Wow is all I can say tbh

I believe it's actually over 127k now. Trump's new prediction is around 150k deaths. He's changed his tune a little since he predicted the "15 cases will soon be down to zero".

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I believe it's actually over 127k now. Trump's new prediction is around 150k deaths. He's changed his tune a little since he predicted the "15 cases will soon be down to zero".

He's plucking figures out of his arse as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's staggering to think of how much higher than the official figure that total actually is too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Drs Fauci and Birx are reported to be now favouring a suggestion made back in March about group/pool sample testing instead of single sample testing whereby the samples of 100 are combined for testing and if the result comes back as positive, then all the samples are tested singly AND if the sample comes back negative, the testers go on to the next one hundred combined samples. It seems one of the U.S states is already using the method, as is India.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/06/26/what-covid-19-pool-testing-faqs-faucis-proposal/3262870001/

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kanpur/opt-for-pool-sampling-if-covid-19-cases-are-in-bulk/articleshow/75612172.cms

What could be even more troublesome for the U.S is if Trump sticks to his opposition to testing and mask wearing and Pence states differently in public. Before I switched off the TV, CNN news mentioned something about Trump standing by his anti-mask use position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Headshot wrote: »

Wow is all I can say tbh

Its come a long way since he tried to claim 17K died from Swine flu under Obama (it was officially 12K over a 12 month period) but America really needs to get rid of this unhinged loon in November

• Registered Users Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I cant rightly work out at this late hour whether this 2 to 1 court of appeal decision will have any effect on monies set aside by congress for defence as it might have already been spent on the border wall/fence following an earlier U.S.S.C decision allowed Trump to spend the $2.5 Billion on said works. The appeal court sided with local states and environmentalists against the executive branch saying the executive had failed, in concrete terms, to show the need for the fence was particularly significant as congress had determined the fence to be a lower priority [presumably than national defence]. I think the appeal court might also have made a tongue-in-cheek comment as well in its judgement with it's "in concrete terms" reference.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/trump-cannot-divert-military-funds-to-pay-for-his-border-wall-court-rules/ar-BB161d7z?ocid=msedgntp

There is a police body- camera video included in the link showing details of the arrest of a black man which has absolutely nothing to do with the court case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Based on this logic, literally all medical care is "interfering in God's will"!

Based on this logic, literally all medical care is "interfering in God's will"!

Well, yeah!!

Here's some examples depending on the particular flavour of 'God's Will' you're buying into:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/07/health/religion-medical-treatment/index.htmlyou

And sadly, much of this thinking permeates the Evangelical wing of Trump supporters, who will never vote for Biden, no matter what!

Trump's bestie Putin has been offering bounties to the Taliban to kill US soldiers in Afghanistan. Trump has known this since March.

All while Trump does Putin's bidding on the international stage, including trying to get them readmitted to the G7.

Fairly mad that a US President continues to act on behalf of a regime that is literally offering prize money for killing US soldiers. I'd have thought that's pretty treasonous.

From NY Times reporting.

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1276684680843218944

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/us/politics/russia-afghanistan-bounties.html

Well, yeah!!

Here's some examples depending on the particular flavour of 'God's Will' you're buying into:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/07/health/religion-medical-treatment/index.htmlyou

And sadly, much of this thinking permeates the Evangelical wing of Trump supporters, who will never vote for Biden, no matter what!

This was a doozy. Can't get Covid because she's "covered in Jesus's blood".

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/04/ohio-church-service-covid-19-pandemic-tuchman-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭amandstu

This was a doozy. Can't get Covid because she's "covered in Jesus's blood".

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/04/04/ohio-church-service-covid-19-pandemic-tuchman-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

Can you get masks that both laugh and cry?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement