Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

He's now talking about road resurfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's like a Troy McClure infomercial.

"Hi, I'm Donald Trump, you may remember me from such fake miracle cures as hydroxychloroquine and Trump Juice, the miracle juice that cures everything!, available online for the low, low price of $500 a bottle."

The US seems to have a number of "political commentators" that try to shift dodgy cures for anything and everything. If Trump had set up his own news network I could see them peddling colloidal silver and magnets between rambling opinion pieces pretending to be news.

Shutting down the AP from asking a difficult "wiseguy" questions. He's such a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Shutting down the AP from asking a difficult "wiseguy" questions. He's such a child.

Also shutting down the doc when a reporter asked him(the doc) about hydroxychloroquine

I missed that while I had the kettle on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

https://twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1245765508156268560

I know Trump was a little upset about governors not being nice to him, but I'm not sure the administration would be doing this without so many people noticing the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

signostic wrote: »
    Also shutting down the doc when a reporter asked him(the doc) about hydroxychloroquine

Yeah, Dr Fauci had been sidelined for most of the presser, as In actually sitting down on the side and off the podium. He may just be knackered and/or his joints are sore, but the body language was awful. Meanwhile, Debbie's fashion show proceeded apace on stage. Trump's shutdown of the chloroquine question was his really low moment this presser. I thought he had done better on many of the questions than in some recent outings, but that was clearly a question too far for him... He simply couldn't allow a medical expert to answer a crucial medical question because he (Trump) had given his own totally unqualified opinion for quite a bit of time earlier. He clearly has NO understanding of the scientific basis for treatments and cures. But what else would you expect from a snake oil salesman???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think he knows what he’s at pushing this as a cure, if it isn’t effective he tried and will just shrug off any blame but if there is any level of success with it he will make a big deal of knowing better than doctors, most people would see this for what it was but his support would lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

kowloon wrote: »

I know Trump was a little upset about governors not being nice to him, but I'm not sure the administration would be doing this without so many people noticing the numbers.

No one should be surprised that aid is being apportioned based on the political significance of the state. Key swing states will get all the love, and perpetual blue states will be told to go and take a running jump. It's transparently partisan and it's a repulsive response from a repulsive leadership.

I wonder how this will work long term politically as lots of people from all over the States will have relatives that live in the big cities that will be affected by this kind of characteristically short-sighted policy.

Also, snake oil as a panacea is a well trodden path for the career con man. Who knows what miracle cure will be promoted next from the daily press briefings?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The firing of the I.G. who was involved in reporting the W.B. complaint was already mentioned here.

I just wanted to post it again, as it was beyond disgraceful and it warrants repeating.

No one defending this I see.

Utterly despicable.

Horowitz would want to be updating his C.V. after he defended him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

More certainly needs to be made of, by way of investigation and the holding to account how the requests are being treated and the apportionment. Even for the most ardent Trump supporter it is surely a shameful, indefensible move to place one American life over another based on where they live and whether the state governor kisses ass or not. No republicans living in Illinois etc?

Doesn't matter if it's a traditional blue state, it shows a complete lack of concern and care and is another reveal for Trump for what he is, what he has always been.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of OAN until Trump started taking questions from them. And the content of those questions had already given me suspicion they were Bad Actors. But as the latest John Oliver breakdown reveals, they're dangerous, disingenuous purveyors of nonsense masquerading as truth seekers. It takes a lot to make Fox News look like sober commentators, but OAN achieves it. The defiance of the lockdown and distancing ruling is quite sickening mind; really highlights how Freedom Cultists are putting their country in danger

I know video dumps are rightly verboten, so remove away if it ain't on. But honestly, it as informative as it is darkly, sadly hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Christy42 wrote: »
    Does it require a doctor's prescription at least?

Otherwise, this will end bad. People have to admit the man has his die hard fans and they will believe this nonsense. They will be stocking up and taking it for a common cold. Or taking it just in case

It seems it can be bought online as a generic drug without prescription under different brand names, which hydroxchloroquine is not. Most of the sites seem to be Ad sites for pharmacies so I won't bother giving them free Ad space here by posting links. Some advise of the dangers of use, incl to the retinas, others that it is used for arthritis and headlice.

The link below is from a LUPUS site caring for people with lupus and covers the current availability of the drug for their use, and the status of the drug in the official eyes of the FDA where it come to its use in the fight against Covid-19.

https://www.lupus.org/resources/hydroxychloroquine-plaquenil-coronavirus-covid19-questions-answers

I edited mine to include the LUPUS paragraph after duploelabs posted below.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

aloyisious wrote: »
    It seems it can be bought online as a generic drug without prescription under different brand names, which hydroxchloroquine is not. Most of the sites seem to be Ad sites for pharmacies so I won't bother giving them free Ad space here by posting links. Some advise of the dangers of use, incl to the retinas.

It's also used in aquariums. A man and his wife took that aquarium additive used for cleaning in an effort to self medicate as they'd heard Trump say it was effective cure. He's now dead and his wife ended up in critical care.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820512107/man-dies-woman-hospitalized-after-taking-form-of-chloroquine-to-prevent-covid-19

So please Maniac, tell me again why you believe Trump's words have little or no effect. I'm still waiting for your answer

More certainly needs to be made of, by way of investigation and the holding to account how the requests are being treated and the apportionment. Even for the most ardent Trump supporter it is surely a shameful, indefensible move to place one American life over another based on where they live and whether the state governor kisses ass or not. No republicans living in Illinois etc?

Doesn't matter if it's a traditional blue state, it shows a complete lack of concern and care and is another reveal for Trump for what he is, what he has always been.

Its not as if the virus is being selective in whom it attacks and kills, bypassing the homes with an R on the door regardless of the state one lives in. That could be the factor that might bite Don in the ass. I won't say it's a definite factor as it's obvious there are voters who will put Don and the party above their lives and the lives of their children.

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's also used in aquariums. A man and his wife took that aquarium additive used for cleaning in an effort to self medicate as they'd heard Trump say it was effective cure. He's now dead and his wife ended up in critical care.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820512107/man-dies-woman-hospitalized-after-taking-form-of-chloroquine-to-prevent-covid-19

So please Maniac, tell me again why you believe Trump's words have little or no effect. I'm still waiting for your answer

Without wishing to put words in Manic's mouth, I can say what the generic response will be. It'll be the same nonsense we heard when Trump called CNN "the enemy of the people" and then defended him when pipe bombs were sent to those news outlets. The line will be "he cannot control what certain members of society do", "it's a free Country" etc etc.

I will gladly remortgage my house and donate the entirety of the proceeds to the reporter that says to Trump, the next time he spouts nonsensical medical mumbo jumbo

"Sir (he will love that!), why should anyone listen to your words regarding medical matters when you said vaccines cause Autism, looked directly into the sun when medical advice was that it could irreparably damage your eyesight and claimed that windmills cause cancer?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yeah, Dr Fauci had been sidelined for most of the presser, as In actually sitting down on the side and off the podium. He may just be knackered and/or his joints are sore, but the body language was awful. Meanwhile, Debbie's fashion show proceeded apace on stage. Trump's shutdown of the chloroquine question was his really low moment this presser. I thought he had done better on many of the questions than in some recent outings, but that was clearly a question too far for him... He simply couldn't allow a medical expert to answer a crucial medical question because he (Trump) had given his own totally unqualified opinion for quite a bit of time earlier. He clearly has NO understanding of the scientific basis for treatments and cures. But what else would you expect from a snake oil salesman???

Scarf Woman :pac:

Maybe I'm wrong in my opinion but saying that what the president says is not important or has no effect is somewhat contrary when you consider the fact his office is the highest in the land and the one most sought after in terms of the cachet and power carried with it. If what the president says is not to be seen as important, then what point is there in running for the office at such a high cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Regarding the ventilators sounds like the federal government buys a stockpile, the states then bid for them, FEMA is outbidding states and getting them then Trump decides where to send them. The states are paying for them multiple times this sounds like the worst way possible to distribute them. Whichever states kiss his ass the most gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kowloon wrote: »

Your assuming that the administration cares.
    Trump is treating the presidency as a fiefdom and every federal allocation as a reward to loyal barons.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    Regarding the ventilators sounds like the federal government buys a stockpile, the states then bid for them, FEMA is outbidding states and getting them then Trump decides where to send them. The states are paying for them multiple times this sounds like the worst way possible to distribute them. Whichever states kiss his ass the most gets them.

Reading the stories of people acting as buying agents for the US at airports abroad seizing and sequestering essential medical supplies bought and paid for by others countries for use in their countries [incl materiel made in China by 3M] it seems like thievery is also the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe I'm wrong in my opinion but saying that what the president says is not important or has no effect is somewhat contrary when you consider the fact his office is the highest in the land and the one most sought after in terms of the cachet and power carried with it. If what the president says is not to be seen as important, then what point is there in running for the office at such a high cost?

They are only saying it to suit their view. Of course what POTUS says is of the utmost importance. You only have to look at how terrified they all were of HC becoming POTUS to know how important they see POTUS position as being.

IN the same way to now want to blame for the state governors on the basis that they are in charge, but only recently the economy and unemployment was all down to Trump. So which is it? Do he have any impact or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Reading the stories of people acting as buying agents for the US at airports abroad seizing and sequestering essential medical supplies bought and paid for by others countries for use in their countries [incl materiel made in China by 3M] it seems like thievery is also the order of the day.

Piracy, it's really more akin to piracy.

The administration giving carte blanche both morally and financially to Wal-Mart and all the other Corps is what is facilitating this.

The Federal govt have said they will pay whatever is asked, and on top of that certain states have said the same.
    Particularly N.Y, the agents pirate the product in transit then ramp up their own profit by having the Federal v State government bid each other up.

Surely a model lesson in disaster capitalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Watched a bit (under 30 seconds) of yesterdays presser. Ivanka was there. Is her brand producing masks now? Or was she just slumming?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

duploelabs wrote: »

There’s no accounting for Darwinism. Sure, weren’t people eating tide pods a while ago? Or do you think that we should abandon any form of personal responsibility for our actions? Common bloody sense should tell you that aquarium additive isn’t likely good for you, even if you can’t tell the difference between chloroquine and chloroquine phosphate.

It’s like one doctor on TV saying that nitroglycerin is good for some heart conditions (it is) and then some idiot goes and blows himself up, thus the doctor is responsible for the death. He isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

"Try it, what have you got to lose"

Not much spin you can put on that. A clear statement from POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

There’s no accounting for Darwinism. Sure, weren’t people eating tide pods a while ago? Or do you think that we should abandon any form of personal responsibility for our actions? Common bloody sense should tell you that aquarium additive isn’t likely good for you, even if you can’t tell the difference between chloroquine and chloroquine phosphate.

It’s like one doctor on TV saying that nitroglycerin is good for some heart conditions (it is) and then some idiot goes and blows himself up, thus the doctor is responsible for the death. He isn’t.

Should we abandon all personal responsibility for our words. They have an effect. We can either stick out heads in the sand and presume that they don't or we can deal with reality.

There is a reason for the Queen's speech or Leo's speeches. They weren't medical advise but they are aware that words have an effect. If the president tells you to stay in, more people will stay in. Similar for governer/mayor/queen etc. If someone tells you to take a drug people are going to think about it. They are scared and quite frankly you don't have a good enough education system for people to figure this out.

There is a reason all the drug ads (which are really weird btw) use the wording ask your doctor if this is right for you. Instead of ah go take it. Just give it a go sure why not.

If they did they would be ripped off the air incredibly quickly for this very reason.

As for the example. Depends on what the doctor said. If he said it like you phrase then yeah he has some culpability (as does the idiot blowing himself up there are two involved). If he says as an an additive and when advised by a doctor then he is being clear about what he means. I think most doctors are aware that they need to be clear and cautious about how they word things to patients for this reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

He is important.

But he is important because of his position and powers as ascribed to him in the Constitution. He controls the military. He engages in international treaties. He signs or vetoes laws which affect interstate commerce, which includes setting minimum standards for things (He has vetoed six things, all to do with the international stage) And so on. Most anything else is a supporting function for the States (Tenth Amendment), be it law enforcement, road construction or medical advisory.

Running your local hospital is not his problem. St. Vincent’s can be traced up through the HSE to the Taoiseach. University Hospital (my local public one) has a line traced up to the County Commisioners. Not even the State. And that applies to everything from police services to garbage collection. At the state and below level, he doesn’t run anything, neither does any federal agency.

Utter, utter nonsense.

You have claimed before not to be a Trump defender, but moreover an honest broker, but this post displays a motive can be nothing else other than to defend Trump (yet again) and this time, there's no way out of posing it as anything else.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246556219311079425?s=20

He specifically said that they should try it.

If you cannot see this as utterly dangerous and irresponsible, then frankly I would question your judgement on the most basic level when it comes to Trump.

• Advertisement

He is important.

But he is important because of his position and powers as ascribed to him in the Constitution. He controls the military. He engages in international treaties. He signs or vetoes laws which affect interstate commerce, which includes setting minimum standards for things (He has vetoed six things, all to do with the international stage) And so on. Most anything else is a supporting function for the States (Tenth Amendment), be it law enforcement, road construction or medical advisory.

Running your local hospital is not his problem. St. Vincent’s can be traced up through the HSE to the Taoiseach. University Hospital (my local public one) has a line traced up to the County Commisioners. Not even the State. And that applies to everything from police services to garbage collection. At the state and below level, he doesn’t run anything, neither does any federal agency.

You seem to be arguing that people shouldn't or don't listen to him because he is merely in a supporting role.

Well, in that case, why don't you advocate that he should sit the hell down and not open his mouth on things that he has no control over/doesn't concern him.

Certainly, less harm would be caused by him if he did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement