Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

People will probably need an NYT subscription [which I don't have] to access this link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/business/coronavirus-rural-america-oregon.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Basically it's about the spread of the virus to rural towns and remote farms and how the virus is creeping into middle US America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_America_(United_States)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

At what point should they have stepped in and triggered 25? To my mind it was years ago. But this is just next level. I think he’s laying groundwork for a dementia defence.
    This is just too bizarre to be anything else

https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/status/1246550562667143170?s=21

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The man is a compulsive liar... I've known a few in my years and he's exactly that.

He lives in a walter mitty like plane where all he thinks is "all I have to do is say it and it will be true".... He contradicts himself so often, all he thinks he has to do is say "I didn't say that" and so be it...

How are Americans not completely embarrassed at best, and ultimately terrified at worst, of having this thing as their leader

Runaways wrote: »
    At what point should they have stepped in and triggered 25? To my mind it was years ago. But this is just next level. I think he’s laying groundwork for a dementia defence.
    This is just too bizarre to be anything else

https://twitter.com/miffythegamer/status/1246550562667143170?s=21

Don's being buttressed in his actions and deeds by his V/P, who will step into his shoes if Don is deemed temporarily unfit to serve as president under the 25th clause. I think that Mike Pence will simply continue Don's actions in response to the virus outbreak so the death-toll effect on their fellow citizens in continental US borders will continue to rise unabated.

You will have to get Mike to change tack completely on two fronts: 1: being a willing aide to Don. 2: to swear on the bible before taking up the office of president that he will do as Drs Fauci and the best Drs in the hospital emergency depts dealing with the present medical practicalities caused by the virus outbreak advise to kill off the virus.

I don't see Mike Pence changing his religious beliefs colouring his V/P actions in respect to the virus outbreak and connected matters affecting the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The man is a compulsive liar... I've known a few in my years and he's exactly that.

He lives in a walter mitty like plane where all he thinks is "all I have to do is say it and it will be true".... He contradicts himself so often, all he thinks he has to do is say "I didn't say that" and so be it...

How are Americans not completely embarrassed at best, and ultimately terrified at worst, of having this thing as their leader

After things really get bad in the USA I could see Trump having his Lee Harvey Oswald moment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don's being buttressed in his actions and deeds by his V/P, who will step into his shoes if Don is deemed temporarily unfit to serve as president under the 25th clause. I think that Mike Pence will simply continue Don's actions in response to the virus outbreak so the death-toll effect on their fellow citizens in continental US borders will continue to rise unabated.

You will have to get Mike to change tack completely on two fronts: 1: being a willing aide to Don. 2: to swear on the bible before taking up the office of president that he will do as Drs Fauci and the best Drs in the hospital emergency depts dealing with the present medical practicalities caused by the virus outbreak advise to kill off the virus.

I don't see Mike Pence changing his religious beliefs colouring his V/P actions in respect to the virus outbreak and connected matters affecting the US.

And if he was taken out of the picture as well? Nancy Pelosi is next in the line of succession. She would surely bring some sanity to things.

I wonder about pence. We know he’s extreme.

Is he one of these ‘this virus is a punishment from god for our immoral ways’ people?

I wonder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Leftists do seem to have one of their tactics to question a person's actions based on a straw man characteristic of faith that they have no experience for partisan point scoring. Back before Romney was lauded by the democrates as the anti-Trump, he was similarlly deemed an extremist by the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Manach wrote: »
    Leftists do seem to have one of their tactics to question a person's actions based on a straw man characteristic of faith that they have no experience for partisan point scoring. Back before Romney was lauded by the democrates as the anti-Trump, he was similarlly deemed an extremist by the left.

You're making a straw man yourself.

Romney is an extremist. It's just that in comparison to the increasing fascism (and not name-calling fascism, but literal jackboot, ethno-nationalist, concentration-camp running, cultish, demagogic, single-party ruling, theocratic, misogynistic, post-truth fascism) of the Republican party he looks less extreme by comparison.

Leftists do seem to have one of their tactics to question a person's actions based on a straw man characteristic of faith that they have no experience for partisan point scoring. Back before Romney was lauded by the democrates as the anti-Trump, he was similarlly deemed an extremist by the left.[/QUOTE

How long would you give Don [in his present persona] to be a successful contestant in one of his previous TV talent shows judged by him in his previous TV show role before he called out "next please" in respect of Don the contestant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I wonder about pence. We know he’s extreme.

Is he one of these ‘this virus is a punishment from god for our immoral ways’ people?

I wonder
    Nah, he's just your garden variety Republican who votes against things like the Employment Non-Discrimination Act because he believes it “wages war on freedom and religion in the workplace.”

Thankfully, blaming the gays for this particular global pandemic is too much even for this Adminisration.

White House slams pastor leading Cabinet Bible studies for linking homosexuality, coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That's a fair point, he is held in much higher regard now, but it's a relative thing: Romney has some extreme religious views but Trump is utterly unsuitable as a president. I'm embarrassed for anyone who defends him at this stage.

gizmo wrote: »
    Nah, he's just your garden variety Republican who votes against things like the Employment Non-Discrimination Act because he believes it “wages war on freedom and religion in the workplace.”

Thankfully, blaming the gays for this particular global pandemic is too much even for this Adminisration.

White House slams pastor leading Cabinet Bible studies for linking homosexuality, coronavirus

Didn’t stop a certain DUP member blaming abortion and the gays on it just this week but they’re even further back in prehistory than the Americans

Don will be OK, he has Tucker Carlson at his back. His opinion is that Dr Fauci wants to close down the US for a year, that with 10 million Americans unemployed it makes America and Americans poor and that poor people die. Tucker's cure:don't impoverish Americans. He's of the opinion, on the pandemic, Dr Fauci has been wrong repeatedly. Good man Tucker, on the ball as usual, even when it comes to the State Governors actually setting out the stay-at-home edicts. The risk is that Don might think Tucker is right and decide to issue a presidential order that people don't have to comply with the stay-at-home avoid spreading the virus policy advised by his medical experts to ensure the virus does not spread any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don will be OK, he has Tucker Carlson at his back. His opinion is that Dr Fauci wants to close down the US for a year, that with 10 million Americans unemployed it makes America and Americans poor and that poor people die. Tucker's cure:don't impoverish Americans. He's of the opinion, on the pandemic, Dr Fauci has been wrong repeatedly. Good man Tucker, on the ball as usual, even when it comes to the State Governors actually setting out the stay-at-home edicts.

Apparently Fox are layering up to the hilt for the impending deluge of lawsuits coming from their early advice and coverage.

Didn't cop till I read it that of course that's how it will play out.

I can definitely see at least a few class action lawsuits headed Fox’s way. They willfully lied and spun this completely and totally the wrong way. To fit what narrative I don’t even know but talk about up the creek. People have and will continue to die owing to their lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I can definitely see at least a few class action lawsuits headed Fox’s way. They willfully lied and spun this completely and totally the wrong way. To fit what narrative I don’t even know but talk about up the creek. People have and will continue to die owing to their lies.

They are really running scared of this, thats the main reason they let go your one from fox business who called it a hoax first, and probably why they are trying now to gaslight everyone into beliving that they were warning everyone about it from the beginning.

Pity theres recordings and evidence of everything disgusting, immoral and evil thing they said thats going to make them complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands.

Not only that. But this. This is beyond dangerous. You’d have to hope someone is saying to him don’t say this. But here we are. Haven’t two people already died following his medical advice??
    How is he still doing this?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246556219311079425?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Not only that. But this. This is beyond dangerous. You’d have to hope someone is saying to him don’t say this. But here we are. Haven’t two people already died following his medical advice??
    How is he still doing this?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246556219311079425?s=21

Its like he is annoyed with the people who are sick, who are in ICU and people dying because they will effect his political career.

How selfish can one man be, we may find out on the 1st of May

kowloon wrote: »
    That's a fair point, he is held in much higher regard now, but it's a relative thing: Romney has some extreme religious views but Trump is utterly unsuitable as a president. I'm embarrassed for anyone who defends him at this stage.

Yep it's basically that the overton window has moved further than it ever has in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The chloroquine angle makes me irrationally, genuinely angry with Trump. It's obscene enough as it is where we live in an age such that anti intellectualism has scuttled former truths such as vaccination. Even flatearthers still exist. Here is the President of the United States, a political seat that sits somewhere between statesman and cult leader, advocating an untested drug - that has already killed through his egged on misuse - to a noted, undereducated population. Sheer bloody hubris, formed from the unearned confidence of the chronically ignorant.

I don't hope for ill health, but I certainly hope Trump dies in penury, drowned in legal fees from the civil - maybe even criminal - suits brought against him for the dreadful and irresponsible advice he's giving on stage as "leader of the free world". There's no defending this, no new location for ones argumentative goalpost here. If Varadker spitballed that (say) Humira might work, he'd be shunted out of a job, rightly pilloried for the chaos that'd cause. Here? Oh it's just America, what larks. Sure the President doesn't have real power, some will sneer. I'm sick of living in a world where the terminally stupid put herd Immunity and lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

The man is actively trying to kill people. There is no other logical explanation. Surely there are laws against non medical people telling others what drugs to take? Can he be sued for it?

He also tweeted some articles about it from right wing sources (hilarious that they have to churn out articles to back up his nonsense).

Doctors won't prescribe because it doesn't work and then people will look to get it elsewhere and the dosage will be wrong.

Biden is a bit weird but he hasn't actively (or inactively) encouraged people to take medicinal drugs that don't f'in work. This should be the basics of any position that puts you in front of a camera. Never mind a position people are meant to trust

It's not remarkable that Don says its the states fault they don't have ventilators because they didn't stockpile them a few days after he commented on states and hospitals doing exactly that, condemning them and saying that his Govt might step in and take ventilators from state and hospital stores. As for his Chloroquine usage quote, he's cynically put in a plausible denial blame clause with his "if you'd like" words after his "what do you have to lose?".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump is desperate for the economy to stay afloat. Not for honourable reasons (he doesn't know the meaning of the word). It's because he is a one trick pony. He sells wealth. To him, wealth = success. He couldn't care for things other, normal people want, such as a family, a home, joy etc. That stuff doesn't compute.

Therefore, if the one thing he hitched his trailer to, the economy, tanks, he will obviously try and blame others, but he will be devastated. Its the only thing that distracted people from all the other dumpster fires in his administration.

So, he will tell people "it's the flu", he'll tell people the warm weather will sort it, he'll tell people it'll all be over by easter. Basically, he will lie through his ****ing face to try and con people into thinking it'll all be okay so that the economy will rally and it's four more years of staying out of jail. I've always called him a "snake oil salesman" and that is basically his current and last resort.

The problem is, no one believes him anymore. Turns out lying over 16,000 times has some consequences.. who would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The WP headline sums up the Trump administration handling of COVID-19 perfectly:-

https://twitter.com/Paulgobrien/status/1246698820983042048?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

GM228 wrote: »
    The WP headline sums up the Trump administration handling of COVID-19 perfectly:-

https://twitter.com/Paulgobrien/status/1246698820983042048?s=19

Korea cost Truman whatever chance he had of extending his presidency, Vietnam utterly destroyed Johnson, Iraq shredded whatever positive legacy GW had a chance of leaving. To think Trump could get out of this unprecedented catastrophe politically unscathed is historically unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see the governor of Georgia Brian kemp who it seems missed the email on how this virus spreads and so took a long time to go to a stay at home order is now ordering beaches to open. Well one place in Georgia tybee island has told him to go and do one. These governors can't honestly be this stupid and ignorant of the facts can they ? There's a difference between not linking the advice and not believing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

VinLieger wrote: »
    They are really running scared of this, thats the main reason they let go your one from fox business who called it a hoax first, and probably why they are trying now to gaslight everyone into beliving that they were warning everyone about it from the beginning.

Pity theres recordings and evidence of everything disgusting, immoral and evil thing they said thats going to make them complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands.

Trish Regan ? Oh well don't spout dangerous rubbish on national TV. Was she the same presenter who made some bizarre comments about Denmark a while back or was that another one of the "journalists" on fox who was made to look stupid. I think it was covered by John Oliver which is how I remember it.

This Is a good read. Scary peak behind the curtain

https://twitter.com/donal_okeeffe/status/1246765390845358080?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

by Alexandria Petri
    How lucky we are! The man and the hour have met.

In crises, there come moments that cry out for leadership. If only the right person will rise to the call, then the course of history can be altered. Well, can there be any doubt that we have found that right person?

Into every age there comes this epoch-defining human being. The 19th century had Napoleon, the 18th, George Washington, the 20th, Einstein and Franklin Delano Roosevelt both. How lucky for the 21st century that we have someone who combines all their virtues and all their intellect and all their business acumen into a single slim body with a suit on it. And he’s barely 39 years old! And it just so happens, also, that he is the president’s son-in-law!

What are the odds?
    Full Article here...

Washington Post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement