Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Galway as a festival is muck, quality wise. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Didn’t percy get a private gallop in Galway as part of his cheltenham prep last year I seem to remember.
    GO ON THE PERCY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Slattsy wrote: »
    Galway as a festival is muck, quality wise. Bottom of the barrel stuff.

This has been done to death. National Hunt summer racing what are you expecting a champion hurdle book ended by a few Grade 1 flat races on an oval track? Goodwood is on the same week and despite being only 5 days is littered with as many maidens and upside down handicaps yet I find it strange the fawning over festival. Anyway going off topic we have the whole summer to bash Ballybrit yawn

They should leave Cheltenham as is. 5 days would dilute the quality even more than moving from 3 days to 4. And ffs leave it away from Saturday I fear you’ll just attract a wrong crowd. People who genuinely love the NH racing are the most part those who will take a day off work to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

If they were ever to move it to 5 days, I'd rather them just have 6 races a day so it's only an extra couple of races. Diluted as it is now, imagine adding in another 7 races. A lady riders race, a mares bumper, a 2m 4f G1 hurdle etc. that's what Aintree is for! Money will talk eventually unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Clique wrote: »
    If they were ever to move it to 5 days, I'd rather them just have 6 races a day so it's only an extra couple of races. Diluted as it is now, imagine adding in another 7 races. A lady riders race, a mares bumper, a 2m 4f G1 hurdle etc. that's what Aintree is for! Money will talk eventually unfortunately

Decent shout. If it’s an extra day have 6 races rather than 7. So not many extra races need to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Leave it at 4 I can’t drink for 5 days!!! That’s what alcoholics do 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

5 days with 6 races a day.
    Throw in a 2mile 4furlong grade 1 hurdle and a veterans race and the festival will be the better for it.
    I don't care for aintrees grade 1 hurdle.
    Cheltenham is the olympics and should have a middle distance grade 1 hurdle race.
    Im not a fan of the mares races either.

Percy in to 10/1 for the gold cup on pp.bet bet bet.
    GO ON THE PERCY

BumperD wrote: »
    This has been done to death. National Hunt summer racing what are you expecting a champion hurdle book ended by a few Grade 1 flat races on an oval track? Goodwood is on the same week and despite being only 5 days is littered with as many maidens and upside down handicaps yet I find it strange the fawning over festival. Anyway going off topic we have the whole summer to bash Ballybrit yawn

So my point stands, cheers for tidying that up for everyone.

• Advertisement

Percy in to 10/1 for the gold cup on pp.bet bet bet.
    GO ON THE PERCY

Have you been on the beer all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

5 days with 6 races a day.
    Throw in a 2mile 4furlong grade 1 hurdle and a veterans race and the festival will be the better for it.
    I don't care for aintrees grade 1 hurdle.
    Cheltenham is the olympics and should have a middle distance grade 1 hurdle race.
    Im not a fan of the mares races either.

I hate 6 race days. There too short ..

Have you been on the beer all day?

I wish slattsy.hes a local horse here is the Percy and I hope he goes well, hence GO ON THE PERCY 😂

I wish slattsy.hes a local horse here is the Percy and I hope he goes well, hence GO ON THE PERCY 😂

I don't know now...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

Presenting Percy never surrender. 4 day week 3 day bender

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

aidankkk wrote: »
    I hate 6 race days. There too short ..

No chance they cut it to 6 races a day.

If they really want the 5th day then i would keep everything the same for the 4 days and then have a bunch of Grade 2/3 and handicaps on the Saturday and cater to the casual racegoer. If they start moving the championship races then it is going to be a disaster. imo

So my point stands, cheers for tidying that up for everyone.

It’s a Cheltenham 2020 thread, your welcome. Ballybrit bashing is repeated here each year. Yawn. It’s like wheeling out an old chestnut to kick. It’s running 150 years give or take, time to get used to it. They are never going to get pattern races there despite throwing up Cheltenham, derby and Melbourne cup winners in the last 4 years. Focus is on a festival. The better races are quite rightly run at better tracks no one has an issue with that. Best attendance in the country and Reinvested to provide the best facilities - and rightly so. Other tracks could learn given they are dieing while Ballybrit thrives on “muck”.

MaxBet wrote: »
    I have a list of on my phone from last March , titled Cheltenham 2020 and number 4/15 on the list is no Antepost bets . First time in a good while that I’m sticking to that .
    My own experience of it is definitely not worth it , much better off waiting until the time ...

Anyone backing without NRNB, in today’s competitive market, is not betting sensibly. The ante post markets died years ago. NRNB is out far earlier now than ever you can get value and still have a run for your money, betting without that concession without inside information is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Good call on whoever tipped column of fire gor the martin pipe
    Best price 14/1 now. 10/1 nrnb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

carq wrote: »
    Good call on whoever tipped column of fire gor the martin pipe
    Best price 14/1 now. 10/1 nrnb

It was myself on the other page and he bolted up but hope his mark won’t be above 145, shouldn’t be though as Longhouse Poet is 142 who COF was behind a few starts ago and he was 3rd in a Grade 1 lto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

There once was a gelding called Percy
    Who had the gold cup at his mercy
    His trainer was mad
    It made us all sad
    When He lost and we all went home thirsty !

what about sizing john 50/1 nrnb for the gold cup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

carq wrote: »
    what about sizing john 50/1 nrnb for the gold cup ?

not at 500/1

BumperD wrote: »
    Anyone backing without NRNB, in today’s competitive market, is not betting sensibly. The ante post markets died years ago. NRNB is out far earlier now than ever you can get value and still have a run for your money, betting without that concession without inside information is idiotic.

Probably one of the most ill informed posts I've ever read on this forum. Goat level nonsense, and I'm sorry to say that because you're a good poster.

Didn't Skybet halve all prices once they went NRNB? And quite a few will shorten again.

So anyone sitting on a docket worth double, if not more, before them going NRNB, is an idiot?? **** me! I'd suggest they're a ****ing god damn shrewd punter.

Ap markets have not died. Ante post markets are absolutely the way to go. That's where the value lies. Always has been and always will. I don't need inside info for this. Like plenty of others. A horse can still get injured with inside info I assume? Is that idiotic too?

If you don't want to bet ante post don't. But I'd suggest not commenting on it.

There's always a risk, clearly. The game is about risks though, is it not? If people are worried about losing a few bob on an ap bet then horse racing probably isn't for them. I'd suggest a lucky 15 on the day might suit better? And I'd rather take that risk with a 20s docket in my hand with a horse that goes off less than half that price.

Rant. Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Ah Jaysus not you too Slattsy.
    What is it with the horse racing forum on boards where people have to spout like this.
    You like AP betting...we get it. Great, go for it. BD doesn't and has offered his opinion on why. And off you go with "Goat level nonsense" and "ill informed posts".

Thought you were better than that to be honest.

Probably one of the most ill informed posts I've ever read on this forum. Goat level nonsense, and I'm sorry to say that because you're a good poster.

Didn't Skybet halve all prices once they went NRNB? And quite a few will shorten again.

So anyone sitting on a docket worth double, if not more, before them going NRNB, is an idiot?? **** me! I'd suggest they're a ****ing god damn shrewd punter.

Ap markets have not died. Ante post markets are absolutely the way to go. That's where the value lies. Always has been and always will. I don't need inside info for this. Like plenty of others. A horse can still get injured with inside info I assume? Is that idiotic too?

If you don't want to bet ante post don't. But I'd suggest not commenting on it.

There's always a risk, clearly. The game is about risks though, is it not? If people are worried about losing a few bob on an ap bet then horse racing probably isn't for them. I'd suggest a lucky 15 on the day might suit better? And I'd rather take that risk with a 20s docket in my hand with a horse that goes off less than half that price.

Rant. Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Sure when Us and them Wins the Grand Annual, that will get me out of jail again ;-). This strong pace 2 miles will be perfect for him on hopefully somewhat decent ground. 50/1 antepost.

i am in between the 2 views.
    its great getting the value but you are gambling 3 times antepost

1) the horse will not get injured
    2) the horse will run in the race you bet on
    3) the horse will win the race you bet on

I gave antepost a good whack last year and got badly stung with injuries with horses at lovely odds
    Cialos emery / malone road / quick grabim
    Road to respect / Storyteller - race change

Was 200 euro down before a race was run.

With the above I think you would want to have some kind of inside track or be betting small stakes.
    i think the win any race market is a bit safer and can reduce the risk somewhat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would rather have the 200 euro for a bet of the 3rd or 4th favourite in the Supreme and sit back and enjoy the race. I cannot disagree with any of the above.

Earendil wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus not you too Slattsy.
    What is it with the horse racing forum on boards where people have to spout like this.
    You like AP betting...we get it. Great, go for it. BD doesn't and has offered his opinion on why. And off you go with "Goat level nonsense" and "ill informed posts".

Thought you were better than that to be honest.

The goat level was tongue in cheek obviously :)

Saying you need inside knowledge though?
    That ap markets died years ago? (When its probably gone the other direction with the exchanges as it gives a good early indication of where a nag may go)

But that's the definition of an ill informed post, and i'm sorry to disappoint you :(

I do however take particular issue with calling people idiots. Are Hugh Taylor/Kevin Blake idiots? (im sure there's more than these 2) They recopmmend AP bets but their opinions/angles dont reflect inside info.

I'll call anyone out on bullshít. And as i said, he's generally a good aul poster. Everyone is open to scrutiny, myself included! Its a forum, opinions will differ.

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    Sure when Us and them Wins the Grand Annual, that will get me out of jail again ;-). This strong pace 2 miles will be perfect for him on hopefully somewhat decent ground. 50/1 antepost.

He's on my radar for the GA also.

Magic Saint seems to be one Nicholls has laid out for this but i missed the bigger prices. Will keep an eye on which one of GE appears to be aiming, he's a few sneaky ones in there..

Bun Doran also on my list.

Advertisement