Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

There is also the problem of, as the Americans are calling it, destroying savings. As of about a week ago in California they had processed one in five 'covid19' (PPP) payment applications that were received .... in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

There you go!

I know plenty of people using zoom, I don't know anyone who's ever paid for it.
    I am sure you have heard the saying, Buy on Rumour and Sell on Fact. The problem is that everyone may be selling on fact, if figures are negative. You will have to join the queue.
    It might be better to sell now and bank your gains so far. From what you say some people have been selling on the upswing and happy to take whatever profit they have made. Many traders sell before results, ex dividend dates etc

A bird in the hand etc....

Yeah they've had hundreds of millions of additional users in the last couple 2-3 months but it all depends on how many they can turn into paid users. If insiders are selling then it doesn't exactly suggest they'll be reporting big numbers on that front come earnings.

That's just a guess though, they could easily just be selling because they have obviously made a fortune! The share price could tank at earnings or could surge. I got in at $109 and current price is now around $175 so could easily sell, but almost fancy seeing if that surge does happen in early June...will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Yeah they've had hundreds of millions of additional users in the last couple 2-3 months but it all depends on how many they can turn into paid users. If insiders are selling then it doesn't exactly suggest they'll be reporting big numbers on that front come earnings.

That's just a guess though, they could easily just be selling because they have obviously made a fortune! The share price could tank at earnings or could surge. I got in at $109 and current price is now around $175 so could easily sell, but almost fancy seeing if that surge does happen in early June...will see!

Just look back at the Dot Com bubble. Companies that had never earned one cent were valued higher than CRH, a company that had producing cash profits for years. Many investors were worth millions on paper but never actually turned these millions in to cash. Some people did cash in and we all heard the stories of these guys buying vineyards etc on the millions that they made.

Of course many people made money on the frenzy of activity. No harm in that. However there always comes a time to sell.

I know that this is not a Dot Com situation but the point remains....if you are making a profit you are not making a loss.

If you sell now and they continue to rise you will kick yourself. If you don't sell now and they drop you will kick yourself. Choose your exit price and be happy with your profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Just look back at the Dot Com bubble. Companies that had never earned one cent were valued higher than CRH, a company that had producing cash profits for years. Many investors were worth millions on paper but never actually turned these millions in to cash. Some people did cash in and we all heard the stories of these guys buying vineyards etc on the millions that they made.

Of course many people made money on the frenzy of activity. No harm in that. However there always comes a time to sell.

I know that this is not a Dot Com situation but the point remains....if you are making a profit you are not making a loss.

If you sell now and they continue to rise you will kick yourself. If you don't sell now and they drop you will kick yourself. Choose your exit price and be happy with your profit.

Yep you're bang on - I was thinking along the same lines and actually set a price target of $180, but at $174 that's pretty close and a very nice return!

That said, I saw this online and would agree it's very easy to see happening, so I'll wait as I've little doubt they'll get another bump on Friday. They saw a big increase last time they released new features around security, as it's been very topical.

$185 by Friday. They're releasing their draft cryptographic design for end-to-end encryption on Friday which will create a lot of buzz, and it puts them on the way to becoming the most secure video conferencing service in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Browney7 wrote: »
    Seen JD.com mentioned on here in the past - current valuation seems very lofty relative to earnings and other metrics. People still holding or taking profits at this stage?

This one keeps on moving at over 54 dollars along with Pinduoduo at 63.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

(Bloomberg) -- Investors need to guard against violent price swings as markets become increasingly fragile, according to Bank of America Corp.

Fragility has increased due to high-frequency traders shutting down machines as stress rises, which hurts liquidity, as well as by trend-chasing among investors reaching for better returns “against their better judgment in a world addicted to the central bank put,” BofA
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bofa-warns-volatility-shock-risk-064042070.html

Investors chasing trends AGAINST THEIR BETTER JUDGEMENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

MurDawg wrote: »
    Here we go again!

MongoDB - Its riding pretty high right now, however, i have very high hopes for it to go much further. Most used NoSQL database and most popular database to use voted for by developers - its revenue keeps growing at a very impressive rate. Plans for 2020 seem huge. With Amazon being a major 2020 competitor for NoSQL I wouldn't be surprised to see Google sniffing around.

Past the 200 mark yesterday

Close to 100% gain from this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭peterofthebr

iQuestion wrote: »
    Thinking of investing 20,000 euros in DAL.
    If it were to return to pre-corona values (60) it would yield 300%.

is DAL to big to fail? 20K is allot tied up on airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

is DAL to big to fail? 20K is allot tied up on airlines.

Why not put 20 k in Ryanair and it might double if extreme risk is someone's strategy ?

If trebling my money was my goal with an airline ,I'd choose easyjet over delta

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

Hello everyone, What you guys think about Co-Diagnostic? Looks like the best Covid test there. It hit 30 before earnings and went down to 15-16. Now gaining slowly again.

I'm also thinking of getting some shares of USA REITS such as MITT, NYMT. Surely in 6-12 months things should recover over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Have you missed the boat on Co-Diagnostic? Looks priced in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not that i acted on my instinct but i appear to have been way off in predicting a strong pullback this morning in europe , futures on wall st up quite a bit too

looks like facebook will make a new all time high today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Luckin Coffee will start trading again this morning, down 40% in pre-hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shedite27 wrote: »

Premarket is frenzied, talk about pump and dump fomo, watching from the sidelines, waaay to hot for my liking.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Diairist wrote: »
    There is also the problem of, as the Americans are calling it, destroying savings. As of about a week ago in California they had processed one in five 'covid19' (PPP) payment applications that were received .... in March.

I think thats because not everyone has yet to get their payments

The government want to send them direct but the local states want them to go through the state system which is very slow

Washington are saying they would like the money to go direct to the people, looks like they are setting it up to fail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shedite27 wrote: »

Looks like they'll be de listed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

Looks like they'll be de listed.

What happens if they are de listed and you own shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

jams100 wrote: »

afaik you can continue to hold your shares or your broker can sell them over the counter for you, pricing will be murky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Keep the shares but will have to trade on a secondary market. I got out at 3 dollars.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you think AMZN are just going to keep going? I have a good few but I'm wondering if I'm being an idiot and missing one of the shares you hold forever, have a fair pile of cash sitting there doing nothing aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you think AMZN are just going to keep going? I have a good few but I'm wondering if I'm being an idiot and missing one of the shares you hold forever, have a fair pile of cash sitting there doing nothing aswell.

Is Amazon not a "hold forever" share at this stage, some analysts seem to think so. I've seen 10K per share mentioned.

Berkshire B was looking good under $170 but moved up over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thargor wrote: »

I think the FAANG stocks (and replace Netflix with Microsoft) are hold forever stocks.
    Amazon/Google tech are effectively underpinning a lot of other tech stocks with AWS/GCP, and are much much more than an online store/serach engine. Microsoft is pivoting this way too. The future money/value is going to be from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

ACB Aurora getting set to rocket again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭peterofthebr

honest question here, i bough into BHP and Shell back in April..but sitting on the fence since..both are up a little (im a buy and hold person)..since the start of the year anyone inteststed in devulging how much they have made from buying and stelling this year so far - <€1K, <€5k, <€15k, <€20k...or more...id only be aound 1.5k if i sold what i bought now, but will hold for the longer term... just being nosy..

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

AmberGold wrote: »
    Is Amazon not a "hold forever" share at this stage, some analysts seem to think so. I've seen 10K per share mentioned.

That would give it a $5T valuation. That's like 20% of US GDP. :eek:

I'm old enough to remember when Cisco and Intel were the "hold forever" companies.

We are living in unparalleled times with massive buybacks, ZIRP and the Fed willing to do whatever it takes to prop this market. Nasdaq is right back to pre-COVID levels. Pure insanity. imo

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

zpehtsfd wrote: »

I'm old enough to remember when Cisco and Intel were the "hold forever" companies.

We are living in unparalleled times with massive buybacks, ZIRP and the Fed willing to do whatever it takes to prop this market. Nasdaq is right back to pre-COVID levels. Pure insanity. imo

Whilst your probably right about the Nasdaq. Amazon would seem to be a good long term investment, 10k is a bit far fetched but 3-5k valuation in the next 3-5 years doesn't seem unrealistic to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭riddles

Bob24 wrote: »
    I have had my eyes on them but since my assumption is that the overall market is about to experience a second leg of the dip I am waiting to see what the cruise operators are doing as part of this.

Having said that, at the current prices they are already dirt cheap if you have a medium to long term timeline and are assuming they will likely survive, and IMO for someone who is ready to lose all their money in case they go bankrupt, the reward/risk ratio is already pretty good (there will be almost no earnings this year, but based on last years earnings they all have a P/E ratio below between 1.5 and 3 ... so if/when earnings return to historical levels the current share prices will be insanely low). Anyone going in should keep in mind that there is a little of a gamble in buying them though, as there is a really possibility of the companies going bankrupt and those shares becoming worthless (I believe some of them have used ship as collaterals for very high interest rate loans they need to survive while they can’t operate, which I think means that if the impossibly to sail lasts for too long they could lose their ships which would likely be used by new companies in better financial shape once the situation becomes more favourable).

Do they have the resources to ride out another lockdown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Exactly. The actual real economy isn't functioning yet stocks are recovering and moving.
    None of it is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Whilst your probably right about the Nasdaq. Amazon would seem to be a good long term investment, 10k is a bit far fetched but 3-5k valuation in the next 3-5 years doesn't seem unrealistic to me

Is it possible that given Trumps animosity towards Bezos that there could be some antitrust move on Amazon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,391 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Those companies driving the Nasdaq have nothing to fear from the pandemic, why wouldn't it grow back?

Advertisement