Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Augeo wrote: »
    The markets don't price these lads too wrong IMO ........
    Johnson + Johnson
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    Siemens
    BASF
    Apple

Days, months, years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Long time lurker on this thread. Was wondering what people think of SOLO? Have Nio shares thanks to a recommendation here so big thanks to whomever that was.

Johnson + Johnson
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    Siemens
    BASF
    Apple
    Treppen wrote: »
    Days, months, years ?

Sorry? What are you asking me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sorry? What are you asking me ?

The guy was talking about quick gains, over what time span (and why)?

Treppen wrote: »
    The guy was talking about quick gains, over what time span (and why)?

Right, maybe quote him so if you want him to reply to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

INTEL selling its nand memory buisness for 8Billion . It will retain the Optane division. Good piece of business IMO.
    Now all we need is the intel dual gpu XE chips to hit the market and the stock price valuations with AMD and NVDIA may rebalance a bit in favour of INTC.
    INTC earnings this week. IVe traded both AMD and NVDA but placed a bet a few weeks back that INTC has some unrealised gains not factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

IMO AMD and NVDA are both overvalued, well for that matter all the IT stocks are overvalued bar one or two exceptions

On other hand Logitech announcing bumper quarter with people grabbing their cams and mices :)....May be that's why they are all over-valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Johnson + Johnson
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    Siemens
    BASF
    Apple

It's why I am asking the poster why do they think they are undervalued.

I have no idea about them but the poster is recommending them as a certainty with no analysis or other input besides speculation.

Some people reading it may unquestionably follow and end up losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I've looked into this before.
    Basically you can't sell shares and use the loss to reduce your CGT bill if you buy them back within 30 days.
    This is to avoid potentially making a gain from the loss on disposal by reducing your CGT by more than it cost to buy them back. For this to happen they'd need to drop in value in the intervening 30 days.

Lets say you have a stock and want to keep it for a few years but you see some short term downside risk. Does it make sense to sell it and buy it back or should you hold through all the downside. if you sell, do you have to pay the tax if you buy it back again (cheaper)?

If you dont - Do you have to buy it back in 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Lets say you have a stock and want to keep it for a few years but you see some short term downside risk. Does it make sense to sell it and buy it back or should you hold through all the downside. if you sell, do you have to pay the tax if you buy it back again (cheaper)?

If you dont - Do you have to buy it back in 30 days?

If you sell now ahead of the downside risk you can buy back whenever you like whether you sell for a gain or a loss.
    However - if you sell for a loss and use this loss to offset gains elsewhere then you can't buy again for 30 days. If you don't use this loss for a CGT offset then you can buy within 30 days.

If you have a gain you can buy back whenever you like.

As for whether it's better to hold or sell - it depends on many factors like whether you're up or down on the trade, if you have your allowance still available etc but if you have a long term outlook then short-term downside is part and parcel of holding so I'd be inclined to put it in the bottom drawer and hold and if you believe in it long term add more when it does dip.

• Advertisement

IMO AMD and NVDA are both overvalued, well for that matter all the IT stocks are overvalued bar one or two exceptions

On other hand Logitech announcing bumper quarter with people grabbing their cams and mices :)....May be that's why they are all over-valued.

your preaching to the converted. Ive some DEC21 LOGI Calls up 370%:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

RIGOLO wrote: »
    INTEL selling its nand memory buisness for 8Billion . It will retain the Optane division. Good piece of business IMO.
    Now all we need is the intel dual gpu XE chips to hit the market and the stock price valuations with AMD and NVDIA may rebalance a bit in favour of INTC.
    INTC earnings this week. IVe traded both AMD and NVDA but placed a bet a few weeks back that INTC has some unrealised gains not factored in.

I don't know, does intel selling a piece of their company not indicate that they can't keep up with AMD NVDIA - I think there might be a reduction with earnings..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

your preaching to the converted. Ive some DEC21 LOGI Calls up 370%:D

Could be some gains to be had @ PLT who haven't had as much of a run.

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I don't know, does intel selling a piece of their company not indicate that they can't keep up with AMD NVDIA - I think there might be a reduction with earnings..

You might be right.. Ive no inside track .
    I see it as Intel selling off a memory/storage division in an are thats become comodisised, with alot of vendors . The buyer get to consolidate on their area of market.
    Holding onto Optane which is next gen nand afaik and more chance to be part of 5G IOT , and getting back to their chips basics .
    Either way they needed to shake things up to get Wall Sts attention.
    On a like for like balance sheet basis INTC should be trading at $400 if it caught the same breaks as AMD and NVDA
    Wall St are pricing the other two on some yellow brick road in the future land of Oz estimate. Good news for their investors , and hats off to them for their gains.

lovely action on NCYT this morning, Paris opens at 10.10 , drops it to 9.56 and recovers to 10.68 .. their are shaking the tree to accumulate ... but Covid and testing are on the up, everywhere you look lockdowns

AmberGold wrote: »
    Could be some gains to be had @ PLT who haven't had as much of a run.

PLT is what drove me to LOGI. I wanted to play a peripherals company with the lockdown demand for accessories.
    I picked PLT and accumulated a nice stake into the run up to their Q2 earnings, and even though those were positive the stock was worked down so I bailed.
    fek this for a game of soldiers and went looking into others and noticed LOGI 100 DEC 21 Calls were cheap at 1.45 and worth a shot, sitting over 6 now.

So yes PLT deserves some love, but check out the ytd chart its been up and down, maybe its on a rise now before earnings. Ive seen worse picks. good luck

Practically the same... So, I'm bag holding, but my BEP is about €6.40 so not so bad.

It was the epitome of Buy the Rumour, Sell the News. It only got to a level similar to when it was first expected the news would come out (but the company fluffed the original FDA application and had to go another 30 days).

There are lots of catalysts so not selling just yet. Canadian funding will spike it, company bought out will seriously spike it. Announcement of trial starts will give it a lift. Results of stage 2 trial will hopefully be another plus.

BTW, I think this stock has serious potential, considering the insider stock holding level, the management buying stocks at market value only a few days ago, plus the actual products are good (not just the Covid therapy). So, while holding long is a pain, it could be worse.

My BEP is 8.6 :eek: you're a while away from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

PLT is what drove me to LOGI. I wanted to play a peripherals company with the lockdown demand for accessories.
    I picked PLT and accumulated a nice stake into the run up to their Q2 earnings, and even though those were positive the stock was worked down so I bailed.
    fek this for a game of soldiers and went looking into others and noticed LOGI 100 DEC 21 Calls were cheap at 1.45 and worth a shot, sitting over 6 now.

So yes PLT deserves some love, but check out the ytd chart its been up and down, maybe its on a rise now before earnings. Ive seen worse picks. good luck

Where do you buy your options? Degiro seems to have a very limited amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Soo, how do we feel about Intel at the moment. SP opened 1% down on the Nand news.

Is it better to wait for results or take a punt now...?

Soo, how do we feel about Intel at the moment. SP opened 1% down on the Nand news.

Is it better to wait for results or take a punt now...?

My view is clouded I bought in under 50. INTC could come out and say their earnings are up %20 and still tank.
    If you plan to hold for12 months then pick some up pre earnings.

What can I say Wall St hates companies that make 40B in gross profit over 12 months. They much prefer companies that only make $4B like TSLA
    It pays a 2.4% dividend , dont ever ignore that . Im playing it as a place to park some money with low risk, that trades in a narrow band, potential for upside but a stable secure well established company.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bought Invitae (NVTA) today. They make an affordable DNA test to diagnose genetic diseases. The cheaper test allows diseases to be diagnosed earlier, thus making the health response to be preventative rather than reactionary giving a much better success rate.

Sold my Tattoo Chef to fund it (TTCF/FMCI). It was a SPAC that merged last week, netting myself a 75% profit. I wasn't planning on holding long past merger.

• Advertisement

Lads Edesa Biotech is having a nightmare 9% down..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Lads Edesa Biotech is having a nightmare 9% down..

Yeah,I have my finger on the trigger right now

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Yeah,I have my finger on the trigger right now

I checked their twitter feed/online and can't find any reason for it to be still ****ting the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bought Invitae (NVTA) today. They make an affordable DNA test to diagnose genetic diseases. The cheaper test allows diseases to be diagnosed earlier, thus making the health response to be preventative rather than reactionary giving a much better success rate.

Sold my Tattoo Chef to fund it (TTCF/FMCI). It was a SPAC that merged last week, netting myself a 75% profit. I wasn't planning on holding long past merger.

Sold my FMCI a day before merger...and noticed it's down nearly 20% since merger...was thinking in the long run it would do a BYND.?I guess you're not interested in it long term

Noticed some SPAC's not doing great after the merger, I guess it's a good idea to take your profit and put it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Shedite27 wrote: »

I've been in NVTA for god knows how long, performing well

Edit: checked my spreadsheet - August 2019

Talk of stimulus getting approved. A rising tide lifts all boats.
    Expecting one more pump before a pre-election selloff .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Talk of stimulus getting approved. A rising tide lifts all boats.
    Expecting one more pump before a pre-election selloff .

Gold as a hedge maybe? I'd be interested in your thoughts

Gold as a hedge maybe? I'd be interested in your thoughts

You dont say as a hedge against what, whihc is important.. so short question is going to get a long answer.

TBH my 2 cents on picking any hedging play. Its like being at one of those carnival fun fairs and your trying to pick up the ducks marked with a prize underneath with the fishing pole.
    From experience of watching the markets, back in the day, like way back in the day there was always a % of the market that was not logical, but the majority was (albeit rigged and even more corrupt, but at least logical) . That changed over the years , no need to get into the weeds, but the way I see it now the illogical part is in the majority.

So now its all a game. And once you accept the market can behave illogically , then you dont give a sht about what makes sense your just out to make some coin. No shame in that. A generalisation for the sake of discussion,

Gold plenty threads on that . FWIW I played BARRICK GOLD for a short period this year, done alot of research, bought low rode it up into its last earnings, felt it was still undervalued but I took my profit and exited. At the time it was not a rational decision, but in an irrational market it sometimes pays to make irrational decisions. Sometimes if a company is not getting the valuation you think it deserves then you cut loose, but theres a danger there that you cut loose too soon. Anyways 2 weeks after I left Buffett bought a major GOLD stake, and I said maybe I made a mistake, but look a month later and GOLD is down since his buy in. Again irrationality at work.

But I like to play sectors , I like to look at the news or documentarys and think ohh yeah Im invested in that sector, so Im back into gold mining with NAK super high risk , a total punt I will hold till doomsday or they get approval to kill the wild salmon and mine for gold. My investments are based on my areas of interests, the world has so much to offer.

So back to your question , Buffett trimmed his bank holdings at the same time as buying into gold and copper, investing about 500million. So does his position and reasoning apply to you , do you have 500million or the equivalent you need to park up, and are you investing for generations for shareholders grandchildren. I think not. His play is the ultimate hedge, its a 50 year play, in a time of negative interest rates he wants to protect whats under his bed.

But we have to live in the here and now, Covid is rocking the boat, it looks like it will be endemic, global economys are about to go into a second lockdown , in winter, no doubt many cracks will turn to total breaks. What will the world look like when we emerge in March or April. Gold looks to be in a dip at the moment. I think it will trade in a narrow band , with small upside but I dont see it spiking and if thats what your after so I would say gold is not the worst hedge out there against another major crash and a long tail economic recovery if thats what your talking about. Plenty ways to play gold. Jaysus that reminds me Ive a bunch of gold coins in the attic, buried under transformers and barbie dolls must dig em out.

But remember the carnival owner is the one who put the hooks on the ducks in the pool and he knows what prizes are on offer.

FWIW no ones forced to read my ramblings, these long threads are as much for my own 'compus mentis', call it wfh Covid lockdown syndromw, I find it good to air my internal investing dialogue, Id recommend it to everyone. Nothing like seeing what your thinking in print to know if its sound investment.

Have a great trading day people. These lockdowns are the great equalizer, having loads of dosh is useless if society is cracking at the seams. Its not about who dies with the biggest stash, its about who had the most fun and did the most good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

SNAP up 25% after results. Bodes well for Pinterest when they report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

I found a new cloud stock for ye all but this one hasn't run 300% yet :pac:

The company is ncino $ncno.
    They a cloud bank developing banking software built on top of salesforce. From their last earnings revenue up 52% (subscription revenue was up 70%). They have key partnerships with Accenture, Salesforce, JD Power, FICO, Experian, DocuSign, Equifax, and Infosys. They have TDBank, SunTrust, KeyBank, Santander, Bank of the West, and 13 other banks with over $10 billion + 36 banks with $10 billion. They also list AIB as a customer if it helps and just a few days ago they signed up barclays (from looking at there twitter account). Current price is about $80 so its kinda pricy as it was supposed to ipo at 31$ (initial valuation)- ipo'd at $77 instead with all the hype around this sector.
    Ive bought in already but prepared to buy more if it does dip down into the 40's range. Any thoughts? lots of banks stuck with old software systems that need an upgrade and its hard for them to move off these platforms once they in. Could be a good long term trade. lets see

https://www.ncino.com/
    https://www.ncino.com/success/financial-institutions

Advertisement