Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

As someone who deals with Cloud infrastructure, it still amazes me when end users have an outage and wonder why cause they are sitting in the cloud - some just don't get that there infrastructure is sitting on poor AWS hardware in a datacenter somewhere in the world :)

apologies for going off topic
    Dan you probably saw this ... , Microsoft global outtage today ... buutt buttt buttt how could this happen its in the cloud .. .:D

thankfully few if any markets are in that cloud thingy

NYCT 23% today .. sweeett and their AGM is on today

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CloudHopping

Hi all, just wanted to ask your opinion on stock REGI. Showing strong growth, low debt, reasonable PE ratio and operates in both US and Europe supplying biodiesel. Personally, I see good growth potential for next few decades. Any thoughts on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

RIGOLO wrote: »
    apologies for going off topic
    Dan you probably saw this ... , Microsoft global outtage today ... buutt buttt buttt how could this happen its in the cloud .. .:D

thankfully few if any markets are in that cloud thingy

NYCT 23% today .. sweeett and their AGM is on today

Yeah, saw that, got a chuckle :) You would be surprised how many corporates ( even Rackspace ;) ) are moving offPrem and having a strong foothold in the cloud to leverage the best of both world, especially for Disaster recovery and now with more home users during Covid.

I have been holding VMW position for years having got in at a discount, a fairly static stock for the last while but I believe once the DELL/VMware divorce happens next year it may take a turn up, will see ;)

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/vmware-posts-q1-beat-reports-triple-digit-vmc-on-aws-growth/2020/05/

I have been holding VMW position for years having got in at a discount, a fairly static stock for the last while but I believe once the DELL/VMware divorce happens next year it may take a turn up, will see ;)

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/vmware-posts-q1-beat-reports-triple-digit-vmc-on-aws-growth/2020/05/

yes the DELL VMWARE split will happen, a 12 month hold, I own DELL shares myself, traded out of them before the first Covid crash and got back in in the 50s. Its patience and hoping the general economy gets out of this dip.

I read the IPO prospectus for JFROG.. did you know Dell owns 9% of that company , Michael Dell being the beneficial owner , he choose to let it ride rather than sell into the IPO.
    fecking amateur hour for me, still kicking myself about not jumping on FROG ..
    when you do the work, read the IPO prospectus , balance sheets, etc do all the due diligence , spot a winner and then fail to pull the trigger ..

MCAFEE IPO is coming up , next one on my radar but yet to research.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I see Aurora Cannabis are down 86% in the last year !

Is stock like this not worth touching until at least after the US Presidential election ?

Or would you not go near it full stop ?

I know I'm a stranger on the internet but the heartbreak that company has brought me I implore you to not go near that company. Ive been watching the car crash of this company for the better part of three years and I feel like homer simpson going "it's still good, it's still good" to his pig on a spit, I got out shortly after the R/S and made some money back. Its' now trading at 39cent pre R/S..

The partnership, the pelts going to turn it around all waffle. They upgraded there revenue targets like 2 weeks before earnings then missed them by 12% followed by the CFO to say they won't make money for 2 years. It's a **** company with yolo traders keeping it afloat. If I had just shorted it every three days for the last three years I genuinely think I'd have made a few million.

TLDR; Stay away for your own sanity but if you do go in I wish you the luck I didn't have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Aurora/Tilray are real pump n dump cannabis stocks with little or no substance behind them. IMHO Aphria and to a lesser extent Canopy and Cronos are serious players with Aphria being the pick of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Indeed the complaint is over their propietary device they use to adminster their vaccines, this device has been used and approved by the FDA for multiple previous trials by INO and the DOD bought $70 million worth of them a few months back so this hold up is a red herring

INO has recovered some bit, which tells me it was an epic head fake by Wall St with a little help from some friends in the FDA , all to cover their mega short exposure. The drop hasnt held , theres a floor holding strong.
    But this issue could still take 30 days or more to resolve.
    Welcome to the wild west of bio-pharma investing .

The INO news feels like silly season. In a global rush for a COVID 19 cure the FDA needed to temporaily suspend a P2/3 trial to ask quetions on the delivery device. Similar devices have already been used in approved vaccines, not to mention the very same device has been OK'd for other INO trials and even the P1 of this trial. Crazy stuff and unfortunately bios trend so strongly on the news that the whole thing almost seems scripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Anyone making adjustments/gambles ahead of the debate? I can see this being Bidens first and last debate, he will be eaten alive and we'll see a very green day tomorrow and a strengthening of the dollar again.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Anyone making adjustments/gambles ahead of the debate? I can see this being Bidens first and last debate, he will be eaten alive and we'll see a very green day tomorrow and a strengthening of the dollar again.

I was thinking along the same lines and thought of making a play on an index. But dont feel the need, I think my portfolio is well balanced enough to ride the debate green bump.

If Biden astounds us and crushes Trump be wary of a looming sell off in hte near term and longterm. Biden and Democrats will hit CGT earnings and investors will look to sell by end of year before potential changes to the CGT rates by a new regime .

Anyone see the EV truck on the White House lawn yesterday.
    Its a LORDSTOWN truck but WKHS own a 10%(?) share of the manufacturing plant.
    LORDSTOWN + DPHC/RIDE + WKHS joint venture on this, repuposing an old GM plant for EV manufacturing.

I think having your truck on the WH lawn is a sure indication your in line for some big business and announcments.

f me
    never thought Gelsinger would be a boardsie, he probablty felt the need to make this announcment after seeing us two whales posting on this very topic..
    VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger says a Dell spinoff could give him freedom to work with more manufacturers

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/29/vmware-ceo-dell-spinoff-could-bring-freedom-on-go-to-market.html

If what your thinking about is what the market is talking about then you are making good investment choices.. but maybe your only thinking about it cos the market is talking about it.. who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

f me
    never thought Gelsinger would be a boardsie, he probablty felt the need to make this announcment after seeing us two whales posting on this very topic..

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/29/vmware-ceo-dell-spinoff-could-bring-freedom-on-go-to-market.html

If what your thinking about is what the market is talking about then you are making good investment choices.. but maybe your only thinking about it cos the market is talking about it.. who knows.

Hehe.. Pat is a shrewd operator - am recording his keynote at VMworld, will check it out later :) As mentioned, I am long on VMW since 2017 - its the nicest green in my book so no issue leaving it til Q3, or 4 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

hottipper wrote: »
    New kid in town - medical psychedelic lsd and mdna treatments now, who would have thunk it :pac: 10x or to 0 - my guess is the latter, yolo trade not an investment allocate accordingly
    mindmed
    https://www.mindmed.co/

https://assets.website-files.com/5d41a9def65670578680c4ef/5f528c991416e8fdf11b5ca1_MindMed%20Corporate%20Deck%20July_compressed_3.pdf

One of these is going to happen things. What company who knows. Someone posted pure pyscadelics a while back. Who becomes the big player and when they actually make money who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

What does everyone make of oil stock like Exonn Mobil?

Pretty much as low as it's been in like 10 years and basically back down to the level of peak COVID.

The stock is highly dependent on the price of a barrel of oil but surely it should bounce back up?

Thinking of going in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Liamo_mu wrote: »

Pretty much as low as it's been in like 10 years and basically back down to the level of peak COVID.

The stock is highly dependent on the price of a barrel of oil but surely it should bounce back up?

Jumped in just after peak COVID, bag holding now, can’t see it moving for a long time. I’d be putting my cash to use elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Just read this today, might be of help:
    https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/09/is-exxon-the-next-general-electric/

Don't have an opinion myself but would think that there's better opportunities elsewhere

I felt the same a few months back , have positions in APA, MRO, OXY, WLL . But looking at losses on paper for now although you only lose when you sell.
    Its part of balancing my portfolio, in case a sudden cure for Covid, a sudden FULL reopening of the economys.
    I still think APA is the best of the bargain basement oil plays.
    Oil stocks are probably as low as they will go so now is a buying oppurtunuity IF you have reconciled yourself to potentially having to hold them for 12-16 months.
    good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Just on the european theme again another one worth investigating is ADYEN N.V
    It's like a european version of stripe from the collison brothers from what i see.
    Great set of customers with lots of house hold names
    https://www.adyen.com/customers + its got a payments api similar to stripe.
    Its at all time high at the moment but if you buy dips and hold it for 10+ years it should do well.

I got another new recent ipo that looks good also but its way overvalued at the moment, will post when it dumps to something that looks like value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

hottipper wrote: »
    Just on the european theme again another one worth investigating is ADYEN N.V

I've read a lot about Adyen. Sounds a ver y good company.

Do you know what the difference between all the share classes are tho? Degiro has 3 tickets for it, all on the Amsterdam market, current share price €1,557 €1,567 and €1,574. Then Yahoo Finance has one on the Pink Sheets at $37

I've Square and PayPal (also Sea which has a bit of e-payments also) so probably overkill to buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've read a lot about Adyen. Sounds a ver y good company.

Do you know what the difference between all the share classes are tho? Degiro has 3 tickets for it, all on the Amsterdam market, current share price €1,557 €1,567 and €1,574. Then Yahoo Finance has one on the Pink Sheets at $37

I've Square and PayPal (also Sea which has a bit of e-payments also) so probably overkill to buy another.

Thanks for the tip. Which ticker is the best option to choose?

My tip is a company called Lemonade Ticker: LMND
    It is an innovation leader in the insurance industry ripe for disruption. It uses AI to resolve issues quickly and is seen as a kind of millennial insurance company that is expanding into Europe and picking the 'easy' low hanging fruit of insurance at first - pet insurance, devices etc.
    But mainly because I follow a stock tipping service and they recommend it :)

I felt the same a few months back , have positions in APA, MRO, OXY, WLL . But looking at losses on paper for now although you only lose when you sell.
    Its part of balancing my portfolio, in case a sudden cure for Covid, a sudden FULL reopening of the economys.
    I still think APA is the best of the bargain basement oil plays.
    Oil stocks are probably as low as they will go so now is a buying oppurtunuity IF you have reconciled yourself to potentially having to hold them for 12-16 months.
    good luck..

Cheers for the info man. Yeah I'd have no issue holding on for a till whenever required really.

Think I'll go for it, long term seem a no brainer. The world will return to normality and with it Oil will be in high demand. Would be very surprised if I lose on this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I bought some lagardere at €13 a month ago, it's at €21.30 now :D

ganmo wrote: »
    I bought some lagardere at €13 a month ago, it's at €21.30 now :D

Was going to like, then thought... did he give a heads up a month ago. If so :cool: If not :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Was going to like, then thought... did he give a heads up a month ago. If so :cool: If not :mad:

:D

Haha I bought it as a dividend play and it started shooting up im guessing as a result of a play by the chairman of the board of management

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Agree Oil stocks along with Airlines/Cruise look very attractive and I have a few of them...but if this prolongs there's a chance some of them could go belly up...so pick decent ones like and hold for long term.

Agree Oil stocks along with Airlines/Cruise look very attractive and I have a few of them...but if this prolongs there's a chance some of them could go belly up...so pick decent ones like and hold for long term.

Any in NCLH? Have a few in them myself.

Any in NCLH? Have a few in them myself.

Yep have them, NCLH and AAL have been my favourites...however there's a great chance AAL could go belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

If I had a big chunk of cash now I'd put it into UpWork.

Crazily undervalued in my humble opinion

Kilboor wrote: »

Man all the talk on Yahoo finance says its undervalued and Institutions hold 75% shares which include Vangaurd/Blackrock etc...its trading at close to its 52week high. I have added it to my Watchlist. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Kilboor wrote: »

I initiated a starter position in Fiverr $FVRR last week. A similar Company but seems to have managed to grab more of the Covid market momentum in terms of new users compared to UpWork. I actually have personally used Fiverr recently and was so impressed with it that I went and invested in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I initiated a starter position in Fiverr $FVRR last week. A similar Company but seems to have managed to grab more of the Covid market momentum in terms of new users compared to UpWork. I actually have personally used Fiverr recently and was so impressed with it that I went and invested in it

I have used fiverr myself as far back as 2014, excellent service however on a professional business level I believe Upwork has the potential to be a larger business.

Advertisement