Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I've weathered the recent chaos quite well. Over the last two months my portfolio has probably fluctuated between -2% to
    +2%

Holding in order of position size:

Providence Resources (Oil) - Didnt fall even close to bep over the last two months - Up 20% overall

Barra Resources (Gold) - Rose over the last two months by 60-100%, back down however to below bep but somewhat of a hedge for negative US sentiment with gold involved

Annovis Biotech (Biotech) - Break even currently and wishing to load up on more

GameStop (Retail and E-commerce) - Break even and I'd bet a short squeeze is coming soon

Regulus Therapeutics (Penny biotech) - held a small position which is down 35% through my own stupidity, missed my sell point completely misreading a catalyst and I'll sell for a loss soon

I might open a sizeable position in STOR sometime but have only started my research on it

This year I am up around 350%+ overall from a small starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I poured a huge amount into Amazon right before it plunged... Have been looking for a good point to double down and stay for the long term. I'm not sure how the fibonacci works but it looks like it's hitting a resistance point at 2900. Could this be the turning point I'm looking for? Probably a bull trap with my luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I poured a huge amount into Amazon right before it plunged... Have been looking for a good point to double down and stay for the long term. I'm not sure how the fibonacci works but it looks like it's hitting a resistance point at 2900. Could this be the turning point I'm looking for? Probably a bull trap with my luck...

What's your intended holding period? Doubling down on a losing position is just adding to the pain. Amazon could go up from here or it could fall further, even test its 200 day moving average which would still leave it well above its March lows so not an impossible situation. If you have no reason to buy the stock other than you plan to hold it long term, then that's a major risk. Have you an exit strategy if it falls further?

jams100 wrote: »
    20 stocks. 20 Red :eek:
    Bought another Amazon share today, they are going to once again have phenomenal sales in Q3 and more so in Q4!

Red on the day just or red from your entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shakespeare021

Mongo DB - Database
    Nio - EV's
    Xiaomi - Electronics and smartphones
    Beyond Meat - Vegan Grub

Also Fast.ly - Content Delivery network... Bit volatile due to Tiktok being there biggest client.

All growing, disruptive companies in their respective fields.

Usual companies that will thrive with the stay at home stay safe brigade is.
    Fedex Courier
    Zoom Video conference
    Roku Streaming
    Netflix Streaming
    DouYu Streaming
    JD.com Ecommerce
    Square Payments.

Get feeding Sharks.

• Advertisement

GME hitting a new 52 week high pre market. Another positive catalyst here and the short squeeze will be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

When do you have to declare CGT by? Is there a charge if you declare late? If so, what is it?
    Thanks

When do you have to declare CGT by? Is there a charge if you declare late? If so, what is it?
    Thanks

15th of December for gains/losses realised between January and November.

31st of January for gains/losses realised in December

Late interest is about 0.0219% per day I think

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Kilboor wrote: »
    15th of December for gains/losses realised between January and November.

31st of January for gains/losses realised in December

Late interest is about 0.0219% per day I think

and this is only above the €1270 exemption? (which still needs to be filled in your tax return?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    and this is only above the €1270 exemption? (which still needs to be filled in your tax return?)

correct - you just pay now the Tax owed by the deadline in ROS but all gets filled next year when you are doing form 11 for 2020 - so keep track of everything and how you calculated what you owe. I sold last year and had CGT , paid up but only filing it now as part of 2019 tax return !

• Advertisement

iAcesHigh wrote: »

Yes but you can also file your losses and write those off against next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

If people want/need to diverse there is so much gain in spac's. It wont last forever but they are a goldmine at the moment.

Anybody on here trade US stocks?

Trade, not long term holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    If people want/need to diverse there is so much gain in spac's. It wont last forever but they are a goldmine at the moment.
    I'm a big supporter of SPAC's and have done very well from them, there's 2 strategies:
    1. Pick an investor (ie before they announce the company) - find out who's running the stock. Is he someone you'd want running your money? You're basically getting him as a free financial advisor (Chamath, Bill Ackman etc). Don't give you're money to someone's SPAC if you don't know who they are.
    2. Pick a growth company (once the company has been announced) - once announced, the stock will jump a bit, but still loads of space to grow.

And most importantly the SPAC's to avoid, are the opposite of those. If you don't know the investor, don't give them your money blind. And once the company has been announced, is it a company you'd invest in if it wasn't a SPAC? There's some awful boring, small SPACs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm a big supporter of SPAC's and have done very well from them, there's 2 strategies:
    1. Pick an investor (ie before they announce the company) - find out who's running the stock. Is he someone you'd want running your money? You're basically getting him as a free financial advisor (Chamath, Bill Ackman etc). Don't give you're money to someone's SPAC if you don't know who they are.
    2. Pick a growth company (once the company has been announced) - once announced, the stock will jump a bit, but still loads of space to grow.

And most importantly the SPAC's to avoid, are the opposite of those. If you don't know the investor, don't give them your money blind. And once the company has been announced, is it a company you'd invest in if it wasn't a SPAC? There's some awful boring, small SPACs.

Couple of good posts here regarding them as well.

https://twitter.com/Doc_Steve_Brule/status/1299928579451637760

I have a feeling the GameStop short squeeze is in full motion now. Up 28% pre market at 100% + short interest and a 10 day short ratio.

Most shorts are in at 6 dollars, price is currently 11.40 with more good news in Xbox pre orders arriving today

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Lads, do you believe Ryanair may go bust soon?

voluntary wrote: »
    Lads, do you believe Ryanair may go bust soon?

Eh, no

DilD wrote: »
    What's your intended holding period? Doubling down on a losing position is just adding to the pain. Amazon could go up from here or it could fall further, even test its 200 day moving average which would still leave it well above its March lows so not an impossible situation. If you have no reason to buy the stock other than you plan to hold it long term, then that's a major risk. Have you an exit strategy if it falls further?

Plan is to hold for 2+ years so long as everything going well. Wasn't too concerned initially but seeing it drop 2-3% for every 100,000 jobs announced or new distribution facility opened had me very concerned that it was in a bubble all along. Did a quick out and back in last week to lower my BEP to 3180 which seems a bit safer. Seems to be getting a nice boost today so maybe I missed my chance to double down. I'll hold and see what happens. Hoping a split around the corner too.

Kilboor wrote: »
    Yes but you can also file your losses and write those off against next year.

I made a CGT loss this year (so far) do I still need to declare that this year in order to be able to use it in following years? I thought only gains had to be paid this year and filed properly next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

All red here too, years of gains being wiped out :(

I'm down 20% overall, exactly were I was 2 years ago.. its a hard slog

I made a CGT loss this year (so far) do I still need to declare that this year in order to be able to use it in following years? I thought only gains had to be paid this year and filed properly next year.

This will actually be my first year declaring so I'd like to know myself.

Plan is to hold for 2+ years so long as everything going well. Wasn't too concerned initially but seeing it drop 2-3% for every 100,000 jobs announced or new distribution facility opened had me very concerned that it was in a bubble all along. Did a quick out and back in last week to lower my BEP to 3180 which seems a bit safer. Seems to be getting a nice boost today so maybe I missed my chance to double down. I'll hold and see what happens. Hoping a split around the corner too.

Holding for 2 years might work out for you or it might not. The thing with buy and hold positions is you just never know where the company is going to be in the future. Of course Amazon is a household name and a monster of a company, that doesn't mean it is any safer to hold, many household names have gone bust before and take many many years to recoup losses if at all. I'm not saying to avoid Amazon, I just think you need to have an exit strategy for the possibility of failure. IMO averaging down on a stock to get a 'better' price is not a great way to go investing (it may make more sense if you hold for 20+ years, maybe...)

In Amazons situation, it topped out in Sept 2018. If you bought here then you didn't see a sustainable profit until April this year. That's a long time for your money to be sitting idle when it could have been working in a company that was proving it's worth. All stocks go through periods of sideways action, sometimes for weeks sometimes for years. I just cant see the benefit of buying a falling stock when there are more attractive companies proving they are holding up better Amazon right now. Albeit I am looking at a shorter holding period so that's where my head is at.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do!

4D Pharma ........

EihcZqLWAAE50PQ?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Augeo wrote: »
    4D Pharma ........

EihcZqLWAAE50PQ?format=jpg&name=large

This baby could fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CG harvesters or payers, i point you to this post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114105410&postcount=413

Pay through myAccount >> Payments/Repayment section >> Make a Payment >> Tax >> Capital Gains Tax >> Select year and amount.

Here is how to Calculate:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/how-to-calculate-cgt.aspx

Don't forget costs and fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any opinions on Hostel world?

I've been looking at these for a while looking for a price point to enter. Down 12% in the last week not entirely sure why apart from the covid situation. Obviously getting decimated at the moment but would be thinking semi long term.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any opinions on Hostel world?

I've been looking at these for a while looking for a price point to enter. Down 12% in the last week not entirely sure why apart from the covid situation. Obviously getting decimated at the moment but would be thinking semi long term.

From a technical point of view it's getting slaughtered and has been for a long long time, it's made an attempt to come off the March lows, couldn't even get back up to 50% from the highs in January after an almost 80% thrashing, 80%!!! It's been falling since March 2018 with a few failed attempts at starting a new uptrend. I would avoid like the plague, but like I said it's from a technical viewpoint, know nothing about their fundamentals but the fact it's been falling for well over two years tells me all I need to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

Bought another Amazon share today, they are going to once again have phenomenal sales in Q3 and more so in Q4!

Up 6% in a day.
    I still think its worth joining the ride. They are very opportunistic, if they see something they go after it and when they go after something they generally get it.
    Peloton fans beware amazon are now selling a $499 knock off peloton bike. If you want a peloton bike right now you have a 7 week wait and thats in America I can only imagine how long it is in other regions.
    Bottom line is Amazon is a money machine and by the time q3 results are released they'll be back to cirrca 3,500 imo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/22/tech/amazon-prime-bike-peloton/index.html

• Advertisement

Peloton fans beware amazon are now selling a $499 knock off peloton bike. If you want a peloton bike right now you have a 7 week wait and thats in America I can only imagine how long it is in other regions.
    Bottom line is Amazon is a money machine and by the time q3 results are released they'll be back to cirrca 3,500 imo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/22/tech/amazon-prime-bike-peloton/index.html

They were selling another company's exercise bike through Amazon, very different to being a Peloton competitor. And looks like they've pulled it already

Advertisement