Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Smacruairi wrote: »
    It's enough that many many many people are leaving quotes and accounts under that Panti tweet. So if you're saying they are just a minority, fine, but then that means that we are dismissing every twitter opinion going forward, no #metoo etc

Nope you don't have to take one issue and decide you are going to dismiss all tweets/reports on it for all time. You can talk to people, do some research etc.

For example, in the metoo stuff, rather than just believe Twitter reports, I looked at experiences I had (observing the harrassment of women) and talked to women about what they had experienced. It unanimously confirmed what I read of the experiences of women on Twitter.

However in the case of lesbians being harrassed to sleep with transwomen literally ZERO of the many lesbians I know have experienced it, nor have the wider lesbian circles they themselves move in raised it as an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Ok I'll deal with a few (that you selectively picked, I challenge you to pick 5 randomly which I know you won't as we both know they'll be perfectly fine and not support your point at all)

This is abusive? It's not even disrespectful. It's a bit hyperbolic but I could post probably 100 posts from this boards thread that accuse TRAs of causing all manner of horrible things to young girls/ciswomen

Saying someone is a hypocrite is not abusive or harrassment.

This is pointing out the frankly strange argument TERFs make that focus solely on genitals. And yes, it is weird if the only thing you are attracted to in a person is their genitals.

I agree with you this one is disrespectful.

Yes disrespectful because of the language used.

So out of the non-random selectively picked selection there are maybe 2 bad ones?

Can I just point out that in the few days before I took my last break from this thread I was called a pathetic loser by one person, evil by another person, and a number of words that were starred out by another.

I have never called anyone evil or a pathetic loser. So there is no point in showing me that.

You ignore use of the word ''transphobic''. It is obviously a term of abuse. It is similar to homophobic. It means the other hates or is disgusted by the person. It is a very abusive term which for some reason is casually permitted on here, just like TERF, which is another slur.

It is not in the least bit weird to consider genitals as fundamentally important when it comes to the matter of SEXUAL attraction and relationship. Note also that gay men are not being targeted in the same manner and instructed that they are hypocrites, transmisandrist trash, violent, etc if they are not wanting to fcuk people with pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Nope you don't have to take one issue and decide you are going to dismiss all tweets/reports on it for all time. You can talk to people, do some research etc.

For example, in the metoo stuff, rather than just believe Twitter reports, I looked at experiences I had (observing the harrassment of women) and talked to women about what they had experienced. It unanimously confirmed what I read of the experiences of women on Twitter.

However in the case of lesbians being harrassed to sleep with transwomen literally ZERO of the many lesbians I know have experienced it, nor have the wider lesbian circles they themselves move in raised it as an issue.

So you asked people you knew, one issue they had, other they hadn't, thus you went with your own anecdotal opinion, grand.

Say no more, unless it's your own bubble and you are affected it is just hearsay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It can be rare and not be nonsense at the same time. Nobody is saying it happens all the time. Just not that it's not nonsense.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I have never called anyone evil or a pathetic loser. So there is no point in showing me that.

EXACTLY. So why do a few nuts on Twitter get commonly used to dismiss the respectful debate? You can't have it both ways.

You ignore use of the word ''transphobic''. It is obviously a term of abuse. It is similar to homophobic. It means the other hates or is disgusted by the person. It is a very abusive term which for some reason is casually permitted on here, just like TERF, which is another slur.

No it doesn't. You can be racist without supposedly hating people of other races. It's why people who claim to have "black friends" are widely derided when they say something racist. It just suits you to use the "hatred" definition that pretty much nobody uses anymore.

It is not in the least bit weird to consider genitals as fundamentally important when it comes to the matter of SEXUAL attraction and relationship. Note also that gay men are not being targeted in the same manner and instructed that they are hypocrites, transmisandrist trash, violent, etc if they are not wanting to fcuk people with pussies.

And that's not what the tweet said. It said that it's weird for those TERFs who make out that genitals is the ONLY thing they care about.

• Advertisement

It can be rare and not be nonsense at the same time. Nobody is saying it happens all the time. Just not that it's not nonsense.

That's fair enough. I'll freely admit there are some abusive nutters on Twitter.

It obviously IS happening though. Or is just a little bit okay in your book, like just a couple of male bodied prisoners in the female wing is okay. A little bit of abuse is tolerable. A girl or two or ten under pressure to be nice is not too bad.

So you asked people you knew, one issue they had, other they hadn't, thus you went with your own anecdotal opinion, grand.

Say no more, unless it's your own bubble and you are affected it is just hearsay

Well in the absence of any kind of objective study on the issue then....yeah. Can you provide me with any figures as to the prevalence of this issue?

Well in the absence of any kind of objective study on the issue then....yeah. Can you provide me with any figures as to the prevalence of this issue?

Receipts, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Dante7 wrote: »
    Oh the irony;
    A gay white male who has made his career on the back of 'impersonating' (some might say no different to Black Face), oversexualising and demeaning women - gaymansplains to lesbians that they are not being targeted and harassed because they don't want ladydick.
    Ultimate privilege.

• Advertisement

That's called sealioning, and arguing in totally bad faith. You have been provided with websites, screenshot, articles, and more you want even more evidence because a couple of people you asked didn't seem to encounter it.

It obviously IS happening though. Or is just a little bit okay in your book, like just a couple of male bodied prisoners in the female wing is okay. A little bit of abuse is tolerable. A girl or two or ten under pressure to be nice is not too bad.

You mean the 2 prisoners who are kept completely isolated from the other female prisoners?

Of course your completely manipulating what I'm saying. No abuse is not acceptable and you know well that is not my opinion. It's a pretty dodgy debating tactic.

What I actually mean is that when there is an extreme minority of abusers it should not be taken to be the Vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Well in the absence of any kind of objective study on the issue then....yeah. Can you provide me with any scientific studies that shows trans women are women and trans men are men and non-binary is...whatever it is?

That's called sealioning, and arguing in totally bad faith. You have been provided with websites, screenshot, articles, and more you want even more evidence because a couple of people you asked didn't seem to encounter it.

Eh the screenshots were benign.

Sealioning, gaslighting..... What are you guys gonna come up with next?

Come up with next, I don't know, maybe something mad, like the definition of a woman without resorting to "exemplars" or other such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The one screenshot you asked for my opinion on was certainly not benign, but I can understand why you need to dismiss it as benign - you’re not the person who is being told to question your state of mind and having it undermined by being told your sexual orientation is the result of your environment and you should be open to experimenting with your sexuality.

It’s as though you’re not aware that it was tried before many times, this being one of the more notorious examples -

I still have no idea how he was allowed get away with that shìte, I’ve seen videos taken down for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He should have said that then rather then just basically calling lesbians liars. He said it was bollox. So just completely denying it. He didn't say that it happens but it's an extreme.

I don't know how prevalent it is as I am not a lesbian but if lesbians are saying it's happening then I would be inclined to believe them. I don't really see a motivation for them to lie.

He hasn't replied to all the receipts provided. I'm kind of thinking who the **** does he think he is.

That’s it, it’s arrogant. Like, who is HE? I think fame has gone to his head a bit, like “I am the arbiter! I will decide if this is nonsense or not!”. When in reality, nobody owes him jack shit.

ingalway wrote: »
    It's lesbian baiting.
    It never takes long for the "if you exclude trans women, black women, women of size" blah blah blah then you are transphobic and a simpleton because you just don't understand you have been conned into believing in biological sex "rather than looking deeper and realize that our attraction are very much environmental"

Black women, disabled women, fat women, tall women, short women are all WOMEN. Trans women are biological males.

EXACTLY. This is so stupid. The reasons why black women were segregated were unconscionable. There is no comparison. Black women are female, white women are female. The reason for segregation was superficial and racist. Whereas transgender women are biological males and therefore stronger and we know that males are far more likely to be violent. That doesn’t mean I think all men are violent before somebody says that. That’s where the comparison to gay rights breaks down too. Gay women are females.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

I wonder what the end goal to all this rowing is. How can anyone possibly be that arrogant and deluded that they think they can break through a ‘cotton ceiling’ by force of will and re-education? It really is like hoping to pray the gay away. Like, “lesbians are suddenly gonna see the light and start craving cock if we are just persistent and offensive enough”. I am failing to see a bigger picture here. So much so, that it is starting to look like just plain old sexism, all dressed up and nowhere to go, so the frustration and the insults come out.

ingalway wrote: »
    Oh the irony;
    A gay white male who has made his career on the back of 'impersonating' (some might say no different to Black Face), oversexualising and demeaning women - gaymansplains to lesbians that they are not being targeted and harassed because they don't want ladydick.
    Ultimate privilege.

Interestingly Panti was accused of being transphobic a few years back himself because he does drag and used to refer to himself as a trannie. It’s hard to keep up.
    seenitall wrote: »
    I wonder what the end goal to all this rowing is. How can anyone possibly be that arrogant and deluded that they think they can break through a ‘cotton ceiling’ by force of will and re-education? It really is like hoping to pray the gay away. Like, “lesbians are suddenly gonna see the light and start craving cock if we are just persistent and offensive enough”. I am failing to see a bigger picture here. So much so, that it is starting to look like just plain old sexism, all dressed up and nowhere to go, so the frustration and the insults come out.

Ding ding ding. Misogyny with a lovely progressive coating. Socially acceptable misogyny.

• Advertisement

Just finished reading this piece on Martina Navratilova in yesterday’s Irish Times, and the absolute bang of irony off it is really something -

Navratilova married her wife, Julia Lemigova, in 2014. She says that “life has gotten much better for us LGBTQ people around the world” but cautions that the community “still has a long way to go”.

“It’s still punishable by death in some countries. Certainly there are prison sentences in many countries. We’re talking about sports and people getting paid equally but people are still getting penalised for being who they are around the world so there are a lot of battles to be fought. I was just glad that I was able to do my part and help people be themselves and help move the laws forward in the right direction.

“One day we won’t have to say it. One day we won’t have to define ourselves or validate ourselves or say, ‘I’m gay, hear me roar!’ One day it won’t matter.”

Now 64, Navratilova continues to speak out on issues. Occasionally, she has drawn criticism for her views. Last year, she came under fire when she wrote that allowing transgender women to compete in women’s sports was “insane” and akin to “cheating”. As a result, she was dropped as an ambassador by Athlete Ally, an LGBTQ athletic advisory group. She subsequently made a documentary on the subject for the BBC and has since stated that her desire is to “include as many trans girls and women as possible while keeping a level playing field for girls and women in sports”.

Elsewhere, she continues to be vocal about issues within tennis. Earlier this year, she and John McEnroe called for the Margaret Court Arena in Australia to be renamed. Court holds the all-time record for the most Grand Slam title, but has been a vocal critic of homosexuality and same-sex marriage in recent years.

As such, Navratilova believes it would be more appropriate for the arena to be renamed in honour of Evonne Goolagong-Cawley.

“Margaret will forever be a tennis champion. She’s just not a human rights champion. When you name buildings after people, it’s for the body of work. It’s not for one thing they did really well, it’s for who they are as human beings.

“The idea of still revering someone who is actively harming people just rubs me the wrong way. I don’t take it personally even though she made it personal 30 years ago. It’s not about me. I know who I am and I am okay with it. But there are still people struggling with their sexuality and their sexual orientation and this is not helpful.

“To be revering and honouring people like that by naming buildings or streets or airports after them, that’s not okay. That’s why we’re taking down some statues, right?”

She also doesn’t hold back when I ask her about Novak Djokovic. The men’s number one has had quite the 2020. During the summer, he organised a tennis tournament, at which he and several other top players contracted Covid-19. His plans for a breakaway tennis players’ association were also criticised when it was found the group was excluding women. (He has since said that he is open to women joining.)

Martina Navratilova: ‘If I had Twitter 30 years ago, I would have been raising holy hell’

I could swear the woman has bigger cojones than I do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ding ding ding. Misogyny with a lovely progressive coating. Socially acceptable misogyny.

Yep. Spot the difference? I genuinely cant. The only difference seems to be that when the male identifies as a woman, the below behaviour is acceptable
    Incel stands for "involuntary celibate" – the name assumed by deeply misogynistic men who believe women are to blame for their lack of sexual intimacy. Incels often believe women should be verbally shamed and, in extreme, physically punished with sexual assault, rape or disfigurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its really fascinating watching this if you ask me. Anti trans ideology wasnt particularly working very well so they looked around to who their allies were and decided to turn their allies against them. Thats what all this drivel about trans existence being homophobic is really about - trying to get lesbian gay and bi people to turn against our trans brothers and sisters and trying to get the general population to believe this insanely nonsensical idea that the existence of lgb trans people is homophobic, biphobic or lesbophobic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its really fascinating watching this if you ask me. Anti trans ideology wasnt particularly working very well so they looked around to who their allies were and decided to turn their allies against them. Thats what all this drivel about trans existence being homophobic is really about - trying to get lesbian gay and bi people to turn against our trans brothers and sisters and trying to get the general population to believe this insanely nonsensical idea that the existence of lgb trans people is homophobic, biphobic or lesbophobic.

Incredible the power of this unknown "they".
    'They' look around them, hatching their terrible cackling plots, and then like body snatchers 'they' turn the heads of the poor addled lgb people and 'they' make them defend same sex attraction as being...well...based on actual sex and not gender identity. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya. As usual "they" are behind it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

homophobic, biphobic or lesbophobic.
    Well that's a lot of phobics being thrown around. Frankly at this point I'm getting phobicphobic with it all.

The thing I've noticed about this Trans debate is the almost entire lack of female to male Trans in the mix. Pretty much nada. No idiotic calls for straight women to blindly accept "gentleman vulvas" or they're "transhpobic", no M-F screaming loonies on Twitter going on about these endless phobias. F-M Trans seem to be just getting on with their lives for the most part and this nonsense is almost entirely a M-F Trans narrative.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Incredible the power of this unknown "they".
    And it's also a sure sign of any politic going towards the nuttier end, a sure sign that their arguments are beginning to look porous, a sure sign that it's far more about what they believe to be true, rather than what may actually be true, and it goes for no matter what left, right, whatever you're having yourself political compass you care to think of. You'll find the same thing played out on both the fringes of the most "progressive" rantings on twitter as well as stormfront.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And it's also a sure sign of any politic going towards the nuttier end, a sure sign that their arguments are beginning to look porous, a sure sign that it's far more about what they believe to be true, rather than what may actually be true, and it goes for no matter what left, right, whatever you're having yourself political compass you care to think of. You'll find the same thing played out on both the fringes of the most "progressive" rantings on twitter as well as stormfront.

I know. The first places I saw the mysterious "they" was years ago on right wing parts of interweb. But it seems "they" have diversified to do all manner of evil things.

With all due respect Joey, who needs the LGB Alliance to create division and spread resentment when they have the likes of Rory O’ Neill demanding that women provide him with proof or it didn’t happen?

Who needs the LGB Alliance when women who aren’t completely on board with the whole transgender ideology are dismissed by other women as TERFs and all sorts of other vile epithets?

Who needs the LGB Alliance when Martina Navratilova complains about how she was treated, and then joins John McEnroe in trying to have Margaret Court written out of the history books and then tries to claim it’s nothing personal, just a 30 year resentment where she’s now in a position of power and the first thing she wants to do is write another woman’s achievements out of the history books?

Who needs anti-trans ideology with ‘allies’ and brothers and sisters like that? Nobody should need to prove to anyone that they’re being treated unfairly, people should see it for themselves, it’s worse when there are people who refuse to acknowledge that the behaviour goes on, and then get all uppity when people want nothing to do with them because they don’t feel supported, and they go seeking support elsewhere. Why should anyone continue to support people who they feel don’t support them, and not just don’t support them, but want to put them down?

Instead of defending the behaviour, it would do more to acknowledge that it’s just wrong, and there’s nothing justifies punching down on other people when the little bit of power someone feels they have over others goes to their heads.

“Our trans brothers and sisters”... how about just our brothers and sisters, and leave the identity politics out of it? Last time I checked people who are transgender were part of the general population too and were held to the same standards of behaviour as everyone else - treat people as you would like to be treated.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well that's a lot of phobics being thrown around. Frankly at this point I'm getting phobicphobic with it all.

The thing I've noticed about this Trans debate is the almost entire lack of female to male Trans in the mix. Pretty much nada. No idiotic calls for straight women to blindly accept "gentleman vulvas" or they're "transhpobic", no M-F screaming loonies on Twitter going on about these endless phobias. F-M Trans seem to be just getting on with their lives for the most part and this nonsense is almost entirely a M-F Trans narrative.

And this is because TERF ideology 100% centres around the idea that ciswomen need to be protected from transwomen or the bogey-cis-men who apparently will pretend to be trans to assault them.

It's really quite an insane PR Enterprise that TERFs centred the debate around transwomen, then complain that the debate tends to not mention transmen.

• Advertisement

“Our trans brothers and sisters”... how about just our brothers and sisters, and leave the identity politics out of it? Last time I checked people who are transgender were part of the general population too and were held to the same standards of behaviour as everyone else - treat people as you would like to be treated.

Lol in a thread about trans people you Have an issue with someone saying "trans brothers and sisters"?

I think he is treating others as he wants to be treated.....with respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement