Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options
1201202203204205207»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gervais08 wrote: »

I am beyond shocked that you are allowed to get away with breaching the very basic rule of this thread as detailed in post 1.

Actually if you read it ,I believe it actually means saying anything that could be construed as transpobic and your out of here ,
    Nothing was said about the rules applying both ways,

One group gets protection for whatever reason it's believed it's needed and sod everyone else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Absolutely not. As sittingpretty has pointed out. Few find cis to be offensive.

Deliberately missing the point now. That’s where we are eh ?

Once again for any slow readers - you do not get to decide a word is offensive based on numbers. You are told you are being offensuve. It is respectful to stop.

Ah I see why you’re not going to.

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually if you read it ,I believe it actually means saying anything that could be construed as transpobic and your out of here ,

One group gets protection for whatever reason it's believed it's needed and sod everyone else

A point I have made on report which has been resoundingly ignored - so QED eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

The debate is whether cis is offensive. You said few.find it offensive. We agree. How is that "I know you are but what am I"?

Because it entirely ignores the rest of my response.

Which is of course exactly what you intended to do because that 4 word excerpt from my post suits your narrative.

You know exactly what you’re doing. You are deliberately being obtuse which is why it’s akin to “I know you are but what am I”. It’s immature, irritating and frankly, beneath you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Go try it. I guarantee the answer will be that it's not a slur. Seriously actually try it.

I don’t need to, I already know that my friends are of the opinion that it’s a slur. It’s not that I haven’t tried to discuss it with them, it’s that they just don’t entertain your ideology as they are of the opinion that it’s an insult to their intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Deliberately missing the point now. That’s where we are eh ?

Once again for any slow readers - you do not get to decide a word is offensive based on numbers. You are told you are being offensuve. It is respectful to stop.

Ah I see why you’re not going to.

And the TERF side also do not get to decide whether something a word is offensive. Society as a whole does. And society as a whole does not find the word "cis" to be offensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gatling wrote: »

A point I have made on report which has been resoundingly ignored - so QED eh ?

Mod:

This is not the appropriate place to discuss moderation, do not bring it up in this thread again.

Because it entirely ignores the rest of my response.

Which is of course exactly what you intended to do because that 4 word excerpt from my post suits your narrative.

You know exactly what you’re doing. You are deliberately being obtuse which is why it’s akin to “I know you are but what am I”. It’s immature, irritating and frankly, beneath you.

Wasn't the rest of your response that I mean TERF when. I say cis.

That's just obviously incorrect.

1. TERF isnt offensive so if I wanted to say TERF I'd say TERF

2. I clearly don't equate cis with TERF. Billions of people are cis. There are a tiny number of TERFs. Why would I equate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

Some good(ish) news:

The Swedish U-Turn on Gender Transitioning for Children:
    https://genderreport.ca/the-swedish-u-turn-on-gender-transitioning/

This is like a chap jumping up and down shouting "n****r" at some black folk, claiming it can't be offensive because:

Black folk use it
    He's always used it
    Most people, in his opinion, don't find it offensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And the TERF side also do not get to decide whether something a word is offensive. Society as a whole does. And society as a whole does not find the word "cis" to be offensive.

I agree with you that most wouldnt find it offensive simply because they dont know wtf its about. Society as a whole would find the word cis to be completely unnecessary. Ask anyone who isn't entrenched in identity politics and I guarantee the sentiment of the vast vast majority would be "but why? Man/woman is grand" and they probably would object to being labeled as such, but not out of offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I disagree L, being offended by something is not something anyone has a choice in - it’s very much down to the individual whether they find a term offensive. Society as a whole doesn’t decide what terms are offensive. Generally when someone uses a term someone finds offensive, the other person’s continued use of the term is exactly what shuts down the discussion as it becomes obvious that the other person is deliberately trying to be offensive.

I'm not engaging on the use of the word cis anymore as it's pretty clear that there's an effort to get the word banned.

If people are genuinely interested in debating this with me I will respond to all PMs on the issue.

In an effort to cool things down on this thread I will not respond in the thread on the topic of whether cis is an offensive word.

I will continue to use it in my posts.

I'm not engaging on the use of the word cis anymore as it's pretty clear that there's an effort to get the word banned.

If people are genuinely interested in debating this with me I will respond to all PMs on the issue.

In an effort to cool things down on this thread I will not respond in the thread on the topic of whether cis is an offensive word.

I will continue to use it in my posts.

Wait...am I reading that right...

To avoid causing offence , you've decided not to engage in posts discussing whether its offensive...

But will continue to use it in your posts...

That's not particularly helpful and just increases the idea that anyone who disagrees is not welcome in the thread.

When that side can get away with insulting people with impunity I don’t really think donning the cloak of victimhood is especially helpful either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Why? I don't appreciate the acronym used by the person, so I devised my own inoffensive acronym to use to refer to them. I'm sure both will be allowed to stand, or both will be argued, either way a clear judgement will be made as to whether the term is indeed a slur,by both the poster and their supporters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Closed for review.

Mod:

After an extensive review of the thread it has been decided that this thread will remain closed. It has veered wildly off topic from the original subject and as such is not a Current Affairs discussion anymore.

However the mods recognise that there should be a platform to discuss some of the issues raised throughout the thread.

As such we have started a new thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058132572

Discussion should be directed there, and I would ask that people ensure to read the OP before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement