Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

The self harm/suicide card that is always played by trans activists and rights groups really is low and utterly pathetic.

its a question that should be answered though.

are those high rates due to:

1. the harassment/isolation/bullying?
    or
    2. the regret of altering their entire body that it can no longer do what it was originally designed to do?

maybe there's a 3rd reason?

i'm gonna go with option 2.

really, who gives a **** what other people do?

which leaves option 2. a decision you cant live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JoannaJag

or
    2. the regret of altering their entire body that it can no longer do what it was originally designed to do?

I’d guess it has something to do with the insistence that “trans women are women” - and desperately trying to live out this fallacy, knowing full well that you can live your life playing out gender stereotypes, you can take cross sex hormones for the rest of your life but you will never be the opposite sex and every time you are reminded of that fact, via misgendering, or looking in a mirror, or somebody else referring to this unavoidable truth it’s a reminder.

That must be extremely hard to live with, especially if no one is allowed to counsel you as a trans or gender nonconforming person, incorporating the acknowledgement of that fact for fear of being accused of conversion therapy.

The affirmation model only works if the whole world buys into it. And we don’t. JK Rowling continues to be Classy and dignified while Mermaid are scrabbling around with threats of suicide to try and maintain their crumbling image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The Mermaids team centre their response on the innuendo that JK Rowling has increased levels of self harm and suicide attempts in children.
    That is very manipulative and ugly.
    Èven Dr Polly Carmichael, director of the Tavistock clinic for gender dysphoric children, said in 2017 that suicidal ideation or attempts were no higher among those children than among any children under the remit of CAMHS.

https://www.transgendertrend.com/the-suicide-myth/

Mermaids has recently been removed as a linked organisation for reference on the BBC. When the affirmation model will be subjected to proper scientific scrutiny I believe it will be found to have caused great harm and Mermaids has been one of the biggest drivers of that model in the UK. Will they and their supporters quoting them approvingly own the very real harm and devastation they have facilitated?

Recent studies have also shown mental health outcomes ďo not improve for people with gender dysphoria post hormones or surgery. And in my opinion they are now left with continuing dysphoria PLUS a loss of healthy function in the bodies mechanisms and reproductive organs. Not just fertility is lost by these sterilising treatments which have been promoted for children by organisations like Mermaids, but also sexual potency is hugely disrupted. This will cause pain.

In the end it will likely be , in my opinion, that people like Rowling will have lessened the sum total of suffering in the world by standing up to the emotional bullying of Mermaids and standing against experimental treatment of vulnerable children, whereas Mermaids will have increased the sum total of suffering in the world with their aggressive cult like pedagogy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quite disgusting to apportion blame for self harm onto JKRs very measured statement

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

or

Wheres your evidence for your assertion?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Quite disgusting to apportion blame for self harm onto JKRs very measured statement

Not really. Mermaids have been completely calm and open at all times. Its a calm factual statement for them to explain the results of this toxic debate. They have offered to meet JK Rowling numerous times and are still willing to sit down and talk to her yet she refuses to reply.

I think JKR is playing games. She keeps saying the debate is toxic but then continuously adding to the toxicity herself while trying to completely cleanse herself of any responsibility. Almost like the traditional definition of trolling.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not really. Mermaids have been completely calm and open at all times. Its a calm factual statement for them to explain the results of this toxic debate. They have offered to meet JK Rowling numerous times and are still willing to sit down and talk to her yet she refuses to reply.

I think JKR is playing games. She keeps saying the debate is toxic but then continuously adding to the toxicity herself while trying to completely cleanse herself of any responsibility. Almost like the traditional definition of trolling.

Pretty sure JK Rowling has never said the debate is toxic, but send me a quote if I’m wrong. My impression is that she is challenging the shutting down of debate.

Making JK Rowling responsible for the self harm and suicide attempts of troubled youngsters is appalling behavior by Mermaids. Who is telling these children that people who care for their welfare but question the narrative obviously hate them?

What psychological help are these young self harmers receiving? Have they been hospitalized?

What message does it send to young people that “real” trans people self harm.

This is a mental health crisis that is being perpetuated and exacerbated by Mermaids and their supporters.

JoannaJag wrote: »
    Pretty sure JK Rowling has never said the debate is toxic, but send me a quote if I’m wrong. My impression is that she is challenging the shutting down of debate.

Making JK Rowling responsible for the self harm and suicide attempts of troubled youngsters is appalling behavior by Mermaids. Who is telling these children that people who care for their welfare but question the narrative obviously hate them?

What psychological help are these young self harmers receiving? Have they been hospitalized?

What message does it send to young people that “real” trans people self harm.

This is a mental health crisis that is being perpetuated and exacerbated by Mermaids and their supporters.

Ah you’re referring to “the toxicity surrounding this discussion”. But I believe The toxicity she refers to is from those trying to shut down discussion (eg, shut up terf). The discussion itself is one which she has been trying to open. That’s my reading of her words anyway, coupled with her continued participation. I don’t blame her for ignoring Mermaids tbh, their behaviour is seriously questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's a big difference between a debate in good faith, and a "debate" with people with your mindset. As has been seen on here, people like you just hurl insults and call people hateful, it's pretty much all you have. There's literally zero purpose to such a debate, bar maybe to expose to cheap tactics of the trans lobby.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's a big difference between a debate in good faith, and a "debate" with people with your mindset. As has been seen on here, people like you just hurl insults and call people hateful, it's pretty much all you have. There's literally zero purpose to such a debate, bar maybe to expose the cheap tactics of the trans lobby.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Suicide attempts and self harm are horrific - none of us want people to be in such a heartbreaking position. But these are not happening because JKR said biology is not subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I find it hard to express how little respect I have for people who weaponise suicide. It is truly despicable. When did it become okay to do that? It’s emotional blackmail. Always has been, always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ok playing devil's advocate here, dont shoot me! Suicide was "used" in the abortion debate...ie: denying abortion services to women who were desperate and had suicidal ideation...i know it's not exactly the same as trans people are not being denied treatment just being denied everyone confirming their own vision of themselves. I'm just thinking out loud i guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Alkamee

I am a TERF and proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ok playing devil's advocate here, dont shoot me! Suicide was "used" in the abortion debate...ie: denying abortion services to women who were desperate and had suicidal ideation...i know it's not exactly the same as trans people are not being denied treatment just being denied everyone confirming their own vision of themselves. I'm just thinking out loud i guess.

That was indeed one facet of the abortion debate. For me though, wanting abortion to be legal in Ireland was primarily about women being able to access abortion aftercare out in the open instead of furtively sloping off to the UK and then having to keep quiet on their return.

That’s an interesting comparison.
    I think there was an element of ‘using’ suicide in the abortion debate too. Anything to repeal the 8th. It’s used in the UK too, to give an ‘acceptable’ reason for providing an abortion, but seems more of a box ticking exercise there. I don’t think any individual was ever held Personally accountable for holding a view that directly caused suicidal women to self harm though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Alkamee wrote: »
    I am a TERF and proud.
    I'm neither trans exclusionary nor a radical feminist but I would be deemed a TERF. It's another one of those terms that had a meaning once but is now meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I'm neither trans exclusionary nor a radical feminist but I would be deemed a TERF. It's another one of those terms that had a meaning once but is now meaningless.

Next time someone calls me a TERF I am going to call them a WERM. Saw this acronym recently. Women Exclusionary Radical Misogynist. Hehe. Silly and mean. Just like TERF. But if people throw poo at me I might just throw poo back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭raclle

Meanwhile, my admiration for Rowling soars higher.
    While everyone else still hating on her. I never had a problem with what she said and actually agree with her. There's so many hypocrites out there its unreal. Imagine the reaction to one of those people if they seen the opposite sex going into "wrong" bathroom.

TBH I'm just sick of hearing about it at this stage. I don't really care anymore. Its the same with black lives matter and and all the other equality crap that's been spouted.

The world needs to grow up. It'll get to the point where nobody will actually give a f**k anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

raclle wrote: »
    While everyone else still hating on her. I never had a problem with what she said and actually agree with her. There's so many hypocrites out there its unreal. Imagine the reaction to one of those people if they seen the opposite sex going into "wrong" bathroom.

TBH I'm just sick of hearing about it at this stage. I don't really care anymore. Its the same with black lives matter and and all the other equality crap that's been spouted.

The world needs to grow up. It'll get to the point where nobody will actually give a f**k anymore.

You're right, it will get to a point where the majority of people don't care about these issues anymore and it'll be a free for all where anything goes. Alot of these protests for equality aren't really about equality, but, about wanting to get special treatment, to gain an advantage over others in society and anyone that disagrees is instantly labelled racist, bigot, homophobic trans phobic etc and gets threatened with being"cancelled ".
    The western world is generally very tolerant and allows people to live their lives as they want. People need to realise that you can't always get what you want and all your own way, everyone gets knockbacks in life regardless of gender or race. Life is full of compromises and is not always fair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Phil Bogan

Women blindly follow liberal causes and this is what they get.

Also, why should I have any sympathy for JK Rowling when she supported the witch hunt of Kevin Myers? Personally I'm happy to see her get a taste of her own medicine.

Phil Bogan wrote: »

Also, why should I have any sympathy for JK Rowling when she supported the witch hunt of Kevin Myers? Personally I'm happy to see her get a taste of her own medicine.

Is that you, Kev?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/welcome-to-the-world-you-created-j-k-rowling

Is that you, Kev?

No it's me, Phil. Please explain why I should have any sympathy for ultra-rich, ultra-left JK Rowling?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Myers was caught talking through his hole

No it's me, Phil. Please explain why I should have any sympathy for ultra-rich, ultra-left JK Rowling?

"Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.' "
    Matthew 18:21-22

Need I say more?

Caught? He was hardly doing it in secret, made a good living out of it.

He made one joke about the Jews (thought they were know for their sense of humor).

Anyway, to hell with Rowling.

Y
    Caught? He was hardly doing it in secret, made a good living out of it.

He made a mistake of insulting people outside of Ireland

Y

He made a mistake of insulting people outside of Ireland

He lost his career over a joke. JK Rowling was part of the mob, now the mob has turned on her. Good.

• Advertisement

He lost his career over a joke. JK Rowling was part of the mob, now the mob has turned on her. Good.

What joke?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement