Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Looking at sat24 we might get some lightning a little later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

flazio wrote: »
    Who named it Elsa?
    Disney :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Authorities in Galway have advised people to avoid the promenade where waves are overtopping.
    Galway City Council says trees are down in a number of areas and people should not "venture outdoors unless absolutely necessary".
    Met Éireann has said it will remain very windy tonight with severe and damaging gusts in parts of Connacht for a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

I thought it had died down here in East Clare, but it has pick up alot in the last 10 mins..
    Worst wind in a while..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Portuguese Met Service

It would have been a perfect name for a storm that is a beast from the east, here comes Elsa and be prepared to be frozen :pac:
    Instead we got Emma, Portugal should have used Elsa last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Its an active and quite prominent twitter account dealing with Irish weather in general. Has 18,000 followers.

And a fantastic source for information too, none of the sensationalist stuff the other prominent news outlets throw out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Went to Salthill it was unreal terrible flooding huge waves people trapped in cars on the main road .Never saw so many fire. Ambulance and Garda cars roads all closed people in car that are trapped flashing lights and blowing horns fair play to the fire service for rescuing them. I recorded wind gusts of 78mph definitely a night to remember here lots of video going up on twitter check out Galway City Tribune lots of video etc there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

endainoz wrote: »
    And a fantastic source for information too, none of the sensationalist stuff the other prominent news outlets throw out.
    Nonsense, he ramps up an awful lot too and often gets it very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Villain wrote: »
    Haha! I tweet about weather all over Ireland :D
    Carlow imperialism at its most blatant.:mad:

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

t9wCOTx.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Went to Salthill it was unreal terrible flooding huge waves people trapped in cars on the main road .Never saw so many fire. Ambulance and Garda cars roads all closed people in car that are trapped flashing lights and blowing horns fair play to the fire service for rescuing them. I recorded wind gusts of 78mph definitely a night to remember here lots of video going up on twitter
    Pity Met Éireann didn't see it coming until 20:00.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Fierce here in SW Donegal right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nonsense, he ramps up an awful lot too and often gets it very wrong.

Best part about me posting publicly is everyone gets to have an opinion on my posts :D

My best advice to those who don’t like it is to not follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Lissavane wrote: »

To be honest, whether it's Yellow or Orange, you should never park in Salthill at high tide during a storm. Any storm! All the locals know that. The water actually comes up from underneath the car parks. It's why people always get caught out. They expect the water/waves to come over the top of the Prom wall but it is already coming up behind them through gaps in the boulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Your man that posted the video telling people to get tgeir cars. It didn't look like that was a good idea at that point. The video of 15 minutes later reinforces that. Crazy to suggest someone goes and gets their car in that weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

take that chip on your shoulder and have a read of forecasts about 24 hours back ,both on tv and on radio. then come back :) you were probably waiting on the click bait article to appear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Holy **** it's like a hurrican here, I can't remember seeing it this bad.

South sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

So much for a weather forecast or warning:

"Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway and Mayo

Strong southerly winds, veering southwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts up to 120km/h for a short time tonight.

Valid: 21:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 01:00 Thursday 19/12/2019

Issued: 20:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019"

We'd be better off consulting our barometers than rely on Met Éireann. It's a shame how their service has deteriorated, despite advances in technology.
    The ludicrous system of countywide colour coded weather warnings tends to lull people into a false sense of security. Mayo and Galway are large counties, stretching from the Atlantic coast to the midlands.
    This feels like the worst storm of the year in East Mayo but I may be wrong. Figures from Claremorris and Knock Airport will tell the tale.
    take that chip on your shoulder and have a read of forecasts about 24 hours back ,both on tv and on radio. then come back :) you were probably waiting on the click bait article to appear

I wasn't waiting on any article, mate. I made my views clear previously.

Totally died down here but the rain now making as much noise as the wind earlier.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

JJayoo wrote: »
    Holy **** it's like a hurrican here, I can't remember seeing it this bad.

South sligo

Same here outside Sligo Town .Unbelievable gusts at times.
    The worst around Sligo for a long time.

Easing off rapidly in Galway. Time for bed. Night night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

That's on you for ignoring a yellow which is winds to 110km/h, which the majority of the South and West stayed under. A slender strip of orange gusts by the looks - Athenry didn't even reach 90km/h. Newport and Claremorris also not reaching Orange.

A very weird distribution of wind out West.

Just bin the technical element to the warnings. You actually cannot successfully warn a storm in this country. Twitter is a wash with people all over the country claiming it should be red out there. We'll see more at 11 if more places went into Orange.

Edit: Newport 113km/h at 11 and Belmullet 117km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Central Donegal, worst gusts all year..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just been talking to friends in Galway and they said it's kinda scary. Salthill is a no go area at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

I drove from work around 9pm from sligo to leitrim and the winds around ballinafad and boyle were shocking! I did not hear of any weather warnings ( flat out at work) and at first thought there was something wrong with my car when it was shaking so much in the winds then i saw the branches and debris. Very surprised there wasnt any timely warnings about this? It should have been orange for sligo and roscommon too!

John.Icy wrote: »
    Just bin the technical element to the warnings. You actually cannot successfully warn a storm in this country.

Just bin the warnings altogether. What does a yellow or orange warning say that the well established 'strong to gale force winds' in certain regions do not?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

They are afraid to predict anything now in case theyre wrong.... n theyre still wrong

Just look at the satellite. Its a factual forecast.

This was always a dangerous storm for the West but past experiences meant Met Eireann werent able to warn too much in case it went badly wrong.

Also the difference with this and othet storms is the inland gradient is tight meaning places that dont normally get wind are getting it

E.g Knock 115
    Claremorris 109
    Casement 98

They went Orange at 8pm it was too late Salthill was already getting flooded there was not enough time to get sand bags to prevent flooding it's lucky no one is dead tonight with all the trees down in the City and County bad call no matter which way you look at it, Galway City and County Council had emergency meeting at 10pm they should have been told w hat might happen way earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

They are coming out from the cinema in Salthill to their cars flooded. Horrendous.
    Family at home inland saying it's awful. Already planning detours for the morning with reports of trees down everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Seems to be moving up the west coast pretty quickly as we only had about an hour of violent gusts in Castlebar, still quite wet and blustery out though.

A max gust here of 111 km/hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

To be honest, whether it's Yellow or Orange, you should never park in Salthill at high tide during a storm. Any storm! All the locals know that. The water actually comes up from underneath the car parks. It's why people always get caught out. They expect the water/waves to come over the top of the Prom wall but it is already coming up behind them through gaps in the boulders.

Yellow issued

When was the storm named by the Portuguese? We’re ME not tracking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Drove through Lietrim earlier between 8 and 930. Lots of light debris on roads. A serious wave of rain passed over Carrick On Shannon; was it a front or cloud burst ( do we get cloud bursts? ) ? Seemed like the whole of Leitrim village blinked on and off a few times and Drumshanbo was a total blackout with only the glimmer of candlelight in pub windows offering solace to the stragglers dotting the street.

Latest obs

rafales_uk_auj2.png

2JfECuu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

The previous named storm was not a 'non-event' in the SW.
    Plus, as outlined by others, there was some indication of poor weather ahead but this system deepened rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Windy now in the NW, and I don't even think we are getting the worst tonight.

As a good friend of mine from the Claddagh once said, Salthill was stolen from the sea so it will only be a matter of time before the sea claims it back.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Can we go one single storm thread without it descending into a tedious colour debate?

Windy here with some strong gusts but nothing to get worked up over, just a brief spell of strong wind that'll probably leave the odd tree down and there'll be some twigs on the road in the morning. Salthill floods every year as well..

So this storm is exactly as the GFS predicted yesterday before it eased on its prediction. Stick with your gut GFS.

An Orange ... (even Red for Salthill...thats dreadful) level storm for several counties. Sligo and Donegal orange Galway and Mayo too...Cork ...the only one they said

This colour coded thing needs to be abandoned.

Why not just say severe and damaging gusts and coastal flooding at times...then even if your wrong you can just say we dodged a bullet there.

For example they say showers some with thunder and the thunder doesnt come but no one cares because at least they advised us.

no.8 wrote: »
    The previous named storm was not a 'non-event' in the SW.
    Plus, as outlined by others, there eased some indication of poor weather ahead but this system deepened rapidly.
    I've lost count of the number of Yellow, Orange and even Red warnings (sorry Donegal Storm :o) that have been issued for Co. Galway for them only to come to nothing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

No colour, yellow orange red purple or blue, will stop people parking in that car park.

Yellow Warning (late orange is not an excuse) and high tide approaching and the cars just left there. Hard to have sympathy bar genuine cases where people have not been able to get to their cars in the several hours previous to when the water initially rose.

Every.single.storm.

125.9 kmh was the highest gust I recorded in Galway City tonight it was gusting well up to that for nearly 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

flazio wrote: »
    Who named it Elsa?

It's not Elsa it's a very naughty depression (associated with Elsa)

John.Icy wrote: »
    No colour, yellow orange red purple or blue, will stop people parking in that car park.

Yellow Warning (late orange is not an excuse) and high tide approaching and the cars just left there. Hard to have sympathy bar genuine cases where people have not been able to get to their cars in the several hours previous to when the water initially rose.

Every.single.storm.
    Given that Salthill is a big tourist spot, how do we know how many of those cars parked there were belonging to people not familiar with the local foibles?

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

Also there is a cinema across the road..,people will have the movie they wanna see in mind and park where ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo got a hammering. Because the orange warnings have been usually a bit of a non event, nobody expected anything tonight because it was only a yellow warning. A yellow warning like the rest of the country usually means a bit blustery. It was wild here between 10 and 11 pm. Trees and branches down. Rattling slates and gutters. Bins rolling around.
    It seems that Sligo and Leitrim are expected to be jumped by storms moving up the west coast. Often the warnings are for Galway, Mayo and Donegal only. Then we get hit anyway. This one was only Galway and Mayo. But Sligo and Donegal are walloped.
    It’s been a continual issue here. If they want people to take the warnings seriously, it’s not the overuse of warnings that Met Eireann need to worry about but not warning people about potentially dangerous storms about to hit them.
    Hopefully nobody got hurt and the main damage is the overtime to council workers clearing trees off the roads. I’ve seen blue and orange lights in every direction in the last hour.

From Sligo County Council

Storm conditions and severe gusts have resulted in fallen trees all over the county. Roads crews and Fire Service personnel
    have been attending to incidents in

Ballymote
    Calry,
    Cloonamahon
    Ballina rd.
    Sligo Town
    Strandhill Rd Sligo Town
    L3502 WoodVille Road completely blocked
    Holy Well road on the dromahair side
    Ballincar.
    Ballymote to Buninadden road between 5 crossroads and buninadden

• Advertisement