Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I or should I not go for L62

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    For sure, but it's "fast, medium, slow" as opposed to number of amps/kW

Aye. A quick google will show you what those speeds are though, or in the case of granny charging, it is pretty easy to measure it yourself with a EUR10 plug in power meter. That's what I did. Ioniq on the granny charger is 0.86, 1.40 and 2.00 kW respectively (from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

OK, lads

Could you clear for me if I understand correctly:

I can have two 7.2KW chargers installed
    I can put a device connected to them (I guess this is the priority switch) that does not allow the two of them to be on at the same time.
    In other words when one is on, the second is not getting power. The minute the first one is finished, the second can start working....

Sorry, but my leccy knowledge is not there yet...

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

peposhi wrote: »
    OK, lads

I can put a device connected to them (I guess this is the priority switch) that does not allow the two of them to be on at the same time.
    In other words when one is on, the second is not getting power. The minute the first one is finished, the second can start working....

That would be my understanding of it. One device gets priority, if it's pulling power then the 2nd device gets no power. Someone hopefully can clarify that a bit more. EVs tend to pull some power when plugged in, charging the 12v battery or what not. Wonder might that keep device 1 on all the time? Thus the priority switch never switches from the master to the slave device.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

OK, lads

It depends on what two charge points you have. What models are they?

Priority switches are usually manual type devices between a shower and a charge point so that when you pull the string on the shower to give it power it cuts the power to the charge point and when you turn the shower off the charge point gets turned on again.

That wouldnt work between two charge points as the charge point doesnt turn itself off when finished and obviously manually flicking it off isnt viable for night time charging. You'd need something with a bit more intelligence between them to load share (or balance) between two charge points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

KCross wrote: »

Priority switches are usually manual type devices between a shower and a charge point so that when you pull the string on the shower to give it power it cuts the power to the charge point and when you turn the shower off the charge point gets turned on again.

That wouldnt work between two charge points as the charge point doesnt turn itself off when finished and obviously manually flicking it off isnt viable for night time charging. You'd need something with a bit more intelligence between them to load share (or balance) between two charge points.

Only the JuicePro does that intelligence to manage multiple vehicle charging sharing:

Safely manage multiple vehicles charging - If you have more than one EV, you can set up your two (or more) JuiceBox Pro units to share one electrical circuit. Say, you have only 30 A capacity in your panel but have two vehicles charging simultaneously. You can program your JuiceBox Pro units to never exceed 30 A combined draw. If only one car is charging, it gets the full 30 A of current. When the second car shows up, the current gets shared 15 A / 15 A between the two. When one of the cars finishes charging, the remaining car ramps back to 30 A.

https://evcharging.enelx.com/eu/residential/juicebox

• Advertisement

What mileage do you do? If it's not huge, will you not save a fortune by just having one charge point and charging the cars on alternate nights? Even charging during the day if you have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If you have a zappi and one other charger then the zappi can sense the load and reduce its charge accordingly.

If you had one car charging at 7.2kw then the zappi might only charge at 2kw (or not at all, this can probably be set in the zappi but I have never changed the settings from the installer) until the other car reduces it's draw then the zappi can kick in at full.

rolion wrote: »
    Only the JuicePro does that intelligence to manage multiple vehicle charging sharing:

Loads of them can do load sharing between charge points.
    e.g. Tesla Wall Connector, CTEK, Zappi, etc etc.

Load sensing and limiting to prevent fuse blowing is much rarer. Only a few can do that and I dont think the JuicePro is one that can?

Spoke to an installer this afternoon. He suggested a load balancing device but in this case the two chargers have to be the same to be able to communicate between themselves. On the other hand if I did put a priority switch between the two chargers it is not ideal he said as the priority switch is there for to stop a unit from getting powered up for some time - minutes/half an hour e.g. when you’re taking a shower... it is not recommended for long periods of time, did not understand why. The second option though is fine by me as I’d have one car charged from 1pm till 3am and the second - 3am till 8 am or whatever. He said he’d discuss that further with a different engineer and come back to me on it next week.

unkel wrote: »
    What mileage do you do? If it's not huge, will you not save a fortune by just having one charge point and charging the cars on alternate nights? Even charging during the day if you have to?

It’s not that massive so that’s why I’m not too fussed about having the two chargers on at the same time...

• Advertisement

Spoke to an installer this afternoon. He suggested a load balancing device but in this case the two chargers have to be the same to be able to communicate between themselves.

Correct, like two Tesla Wall Connectors. A comms cable goes between the two and they share the load and you set a max load that they can use when they are both on to protect your fuse.
    On the other hand if I did put a priority switch between the two chargers it is not ideal he said as the priority switch is there for to stop a unit from getting powered up for some time - minutes/half an hour e.g. when you’re taking a shower... it is not recommended for long periods of time, did not understand why.

Because its manually activated.

If you have 2 cars plugged in and set to charge at night you would have to manually flip the switch to turn off the first charge point so that the second one would turn on. Its not practical to use that style of priority switch between two charge points. Its fine between a shower and a charge point as you do manually turn the shower on/off.
    The second option though is fine by me as I’d have one car charged from 1pm till 3am and the second - 3am till 8 am or whatever. He said he’d discuss that further with a different engineer and come back to me on it next week.

A load sensing charge point (Zappi, Garo, CTEK etc) is what you need. It will ramp up/down by sensing the whole house load. Any other option is likely to be messy or manual or risky.

Correct, like two Tesla Wall Connectors. A comms cable goes between the two and they share the load and you set a max load that they can use when they are both on to protect your fuse.

If you have 2 cars plugged in and set to charge at night you would have to manually flip the switch to turn off the first charge point so that the second one would turn on. Its not practical to use that style of priority switch between two charge points. Its fine between a shower and a charge point as you do manually turn the shower on/off.

A load sensing charge point (Zappi, Garo, CTEK etc) is what you need. It will ramp up/down by sensing the whole house load. Any other option is likely to be messy or manual or risky.

The lad I was talking to did sound very genuine and interested to make it work for me. He did not recommend Zappi as they have gone downhill quality wise he said...

It’s not that massive so that’s why I’m not too fussed about having the two chargers on at the same time...

If it's not massive then why bother with having two chargers?

Charge car A on Monday night, car B on Tuesday night, etc. just with the one charger. Save yourself over a thousand euro too...

unkel wrote: »
    If it's not massive then why bother with having two chargers?

Charge car A on Monday night, car B on Tuesday night, etc. just with the one charger. Save yourself over a thousand euro too...

Quite possible it’s a case of I want rather than I need, unkel...

The lad I was talking to did sound very genuine and interested to make it work for me. He did not recommend Zappi as they have gone downhill quality wise he said...

Garo is another option. They are a long standing electrical device manufacturer so look at them.

Garo is another option. They are a long standing electrical device manufacturer so look at them.

Will do
    Tha

Quite possible it’s a case of I want rather than I need, unkel...

I'm all for spending a bit of money if it makes a huge improvement in convenience. But does 2 chargers do that for you?

Only you can be the judge of that, just playing devil's advocate here :)

Does that mean the timer set in the second car would not get the charging session going?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Priority switches are not manually operated, at least not directly, the user doesn't switch over as such. See the following description from the GARO priority switches:

Garo Shower Boards are designed to facilitate the use of two electric showers which are being supplied from
    a domestic 63A single phase supply. Both showers may continually use <3kW of power each, however, when
    one exceeds this power use the Board will automatically cut the power to the second shower thus protecting
    the main supply fuse.
    There are two types of Shower Boards:
    Priority Shower Board (CV8-PS) - This unit allows one designated shower(A) to be
    given priority of use over the second shower(B). Whenever Shower(A) is using >3kW it will automatically
    cut the power supply to Shower(B), even if Shower(B) is being used at that time.
    Non-priority Shower Board (CV12-NPS) - Restricts power to one unit at a time. Whichever
    shower is using >3kW first, remains on. The power to the other shower will be switched off until such time as
    the shower in use is turned off. Neither shower has priority of use.

_dof_ wrote: »
    Priority switches are not manually operated, at least not directly, the user doesn't switch over as such. See the following description from the GARO priority switches:

Garo Shower Boards are designed to facilitate the use of two electric showers which are being supplied from
    a domestic 63A single phase supply. Both showers may continually use <3kW of power each, however, when
    one exceeds this power use the Board will automatically cut the power to the second shower thus protecting
    the main supply fuse.

I'd wonder how well that would work in practice for 2 EV's. As you get towards the end of the charge session the charge rate ramps down which would take it <3kW and then the second charge point would fire up and take 6.6kW and knock off the first one before its fully charged. Might be fine if you dont need 100% I suppose.

Cabin pre-heating might also have some unintended consequences as it would also pull >3kW and could prematurely end the other session.

His installer didnt seem to like the idea either so I dont know.

@peposhi, I guess your guy said he'd come back with a solution. Lets see what he comes up with. It will be interesting for everyone. I'm still a fan of a sensor monitoring the whole house load and dynamically adjusting based on that. It gives maximium flexibility but maybe he'll come up with something we havent thought of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

is it possible to charge one with the wall charger and granny cable charge the second?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    is it possible to charge one with the wall charger and granny cable charge the second?

Yes.

But again if you have other electrical appliances with very high consumption like electric showers, you've got to be careful not to use them at the same time. Or install a priority switch.

charlieIRL wrote: »

This is what I've been doing for the last 2 years.
    The cars were with only 24kwh and 30kwh batteries and it worked fine to have them both 100% charged in the morning. Bear in mind if i had the tumble dryer & the washing machine on at the same time as the cars charge and I turn on the dishwasher - the power switch tripped, no exception... so I always tried to have the appliances cycle starting spread on with timers over the night, usually early morning to start, as the 7.2kw charger would have charged either the L30 or the L24 by that time and only granny charger would have been on if it had not completed the charge yet.

Now I will have an L30 and 64K3 which could be a challenge to manage with my current set up and even bigger challenge to find a proper set up for 2 7.2kw chargers that would not burn the house down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Probably already mentioned but this CTEK looks like it might be ideal for you.

https://www.eways.se/produkter/laddstationer/chargestorm-connected-typ-2/

Ain't cheap though :cool:.

Kramer wrote: »
    Probably already mentioned but this CTEK looks like it might be ideal for you.

https://www.eways.se/produkter/laddstationer/chargestorm-connected-typ-2/

Ain't cheap though :cool:.

At around 18000skr for a decent config... not a hope:D

Grant still not approved... going into 4th week already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Didnt want to hear that! I'm only on week 1!

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Didnt want to hear that! I'm only on week 1!

Just got a call from the dealer.
    He spoke to whoever in SEAI and got explained that there was a backlog of applications to be gotten through. He was advised the backlog (including my application) should be cleared by Friday. So it might be next Monday/Tuesday to collect the car...

Yop-top... it looks like the call made this morning has moved a thing or two and the dealer rang me this eve saying we are all good to go. Asked if I’d prefer to register the car in Jan or Feb and collect this Friday or next week. I didn’t really get why that makes any difference so I pick Friday collection....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yop-top... it looks like the call made this morning has moved a thing or two and the dealer rang me this eve saying we are all good to go. Asked if I’d prefer to register the car in Jan or Feb and collect this Friday or next week. I didn’t really get why that makes any difference so I pick Friday collection....

Paying tax for January, for all of 1 day, if you pick it up on Friday. Tis electric, so it's only €10 a month. It's a bigger deal when tax is €100s

You also get to show up in the beepbeep.ie stats for January now :)

Advertisement