Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford travellers in major row on towns main Street.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Its easy to be strict about it until someones uncle daddy threatens you. If anyone can find a way around it, its them. Its naive to think otherwise.

The CA department is strict about the school

Not sure how they're getting round it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

tuxy wrote: »
    It would just result in a rise in criminal activity and will not lower traveller birth rates.
    Locking them up at a cost of €80k - €100k each a year is not going to help with crime either. They don't care, prison does not scare them.

crime isnt guaranteed money though, having a load of kids is money in the bank, they know the childrens allowance will be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    The CA department is strict about the school

Not sure how they're getting round it

They are ‘home educated’ apparently. There is obviously a state condoned attitude to turning a blind eye. Such a shame for the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Re education , theres a family in my town, son and daughter now both both about 19/20c went to school, did their leaving i presume? Were on work experience etc in local shops during TY, which i thought was great, seemed normal teenagers etc but always alone. Now finished school and they dont seem to have be up to anything but just hanging around town but seem like nice kids. How do actually go about this i dont know but they seem the kind of kids that should be targeted by some sort of positive discrimination scheme and do everything to help them maybe get further education or into the local workforce, it has to start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Niall Boylan is a right wing shock jock. He deliberately puts those types on his show.

You almost say that like it's a bad thing

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why cant the government just cut child allowance after your say third kid? that would make them think twice about having 10 kids.

Probably be labelled as racial targeting.

Media would go nuts on any TD who suggested it and most of the cabinet don't have to worry about travellers, they pay lip service to travellers and other PC causes and RTE and the Irish Times go relatively easy on them in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

crime isnt guaranteed money though, having a load of kids is money in the bank, they know the childrens allowance will be paid.

Then the kids just go without, it was their culture to have loads before the large SW payments and they will do the same if it stops.
    The only hope is education which also leads to integration, this is why they are so opposed to their kids going to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

We definitely need a huge prison built in the back of beyond. You get two choices 1. Rehabilitation and education. 2. Hard labour.

Prison in this country isn't a deterrent, the Guards are beyond useless apart from being useful revenue collectors and these thugs are taking advantage of these flaws.

Decriminalisation of drugs will free up plenty of prison cells so we can punish real criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

GeetarPick wrote: »
    W
    Prison in this country isn't a deterrent,

In which country is prison a deterrent?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Probably be labelled as racial targeting.

Media would go nuts on any TD who suggested it and most of the cabinet don't have to worry about travellers, they pay lip service to travellers and other PC causes and RTE and the Irish Times go relatively easy on them in general.

I am talking about cutting childrens allowance for all citizens, not just the travellers.

• Advertisement

You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. The adult training and education board runs traveller specific courses, but participants drop out after a couple of weeks. These courses cost thousands nationwide. Money wasted.

I am talking about cutting childrens allowance for all citizens, not just the travellers.

Could be argued that travellers are disproportionately effected, that awful term "dog whistle" would get trotted out

Could be argued that travellers are disproportionately effected, that awful term "dog whistle" would get trotted out

im sure they would be provided with free contraption like everything else they get for free.

you know the way we look at the way our parents are, going to mass every sunday, very conservative in ways and decide we will live a different life, i wonder will it ever be that way for the travellers. will they look at how their parents live and decide they are going to live a different life, no more bare knuckle brawls in fields, no getting married at 16, no more attacking each other with slash hooks and meat cleavers, no more life on the dole with no desire to get an education, no more robbing old people in their homes for their life savings, no more prison time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

you know the way we look at the way our parents are, going to mass every sunday, very conservative in ways and decide we will live a different life, i wonder will it ever be that way for the travellers. will they look at how their parents live and decide they are going to live a different life, no more bare knuckle brawls in fields, no getting married at 16, no more attacking each other with slash hooks and meat cleavers, no more life on the dole with no desire to get an education, no more robbing old people in their homes for their life savings, no more prison time.

About the only one they might try to keep to would be the, no more prison time, one

The culture is celebrated in the media and with ethnic status, is more or less immune from any sort of honest scrutiny.

Probably be another generation before the tide turns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The culture is celebrated in the media and with ethnic status, is more or less immune from any sort of honest scrutiny.

Hopefully just one more generation before the inbreeding means they can no longer keep reproducing like rabbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If they keep breeding at present birth levels and at as young an age there will be quarter of a million travellers in 20 years time . It’s UN peacekeeping forces we’ll need at that stage .
    Best estimates at present is somewhere between 80,000-90,000 . Census numbers are a joke as it’s estimated as few as a third of travellers completed census forms , census collectors have given up reporting failure to comply with census to the authorities .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Enda Kenny needs a big kick for espousing ethnic identity for this crowd.

No wonder he has been mute for the last few years. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LuasSimon wrote: »
    If they keep breeding at present birth levels and at as young an age there will be quarter of a million travellers in 20 years time . It’s UN peacekeeping forces we’ll need at that stage .
    Best estimates at present is somewhere between 80,000-90,000 . Census numbers are a joke as it’s estimated as few as a third of travellers completed census forms , census collectors have given up reporting failure to comply with census to the authorities .

Nobody else would get away with that level of noncompliance regarding census forms. They play the old racist card and claim they can’t read or write to cover themselves even though the collectors are there to help them fill in the forms.

• Advertisement

Enda Kenny needs a big kick for espousing ethnic identity for this crowd.

No wonder he has been mute for the last few years. Idiot.

He was under pressure from the media and quango sector to deliver on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He was under pressure from the media and quango sector to deliver on that one

If he had a backbone he would have told them where to go

Anyway that’s his legacy now

Never forgotten

If he had a backbone he would have told them where to go

Anyway that’s his legacy now

Never forgotten

And another Fine Gael man Alan Shatter did them a even bigger favour by closing most of the garda stations in rural ireland allowing travellers to rob rural Ireland at their leisure ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Travellers that don't travel and are constantly speaking out of how they aren't provided housing but yet they are it's just they tend to destroy and burn most of these properties....

Nutgrove had amazing newly built detached homes 2 destroyed, 1 done up and destroyed again so both stand as shells for the last many years.....

Amazing country how is tax paying fools fund these thugs, drug dealers, robbers and plain old spongers.

Got a feeling some politicians were taking money under the table to have these useless sponges labled an ethnic minority group to be protected.

Biggest ****ing joke ever. And that's coming from an actural minority (I am half Indian that moved to Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Got a feeling some politicians were taking money under the table to have these useless sponges labled an ethnic minority group to be protected.

Biggest ****ing joke ever. And that's coming from an actural minority (I am half Indian that moved to Ireland).
    I thought it was outside political pressure from the human rights obsessed UN? I vaguely remember reading something like that a year or two ago and it's too late to be doing proper research. Apparently they got recognised in the UK before us. Again, it's late and I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

why is this not in current affairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

BeerWolf wrote: »

As a blow in :P can I ask you what was your initial reaction on hearing about travellers and your reaction after having dealings with them?

I know an American woman who was indifferent to them and didn't think they were that bad but her opinion changed when she realised how they treated their animals. Her opinion was further sullied when her friend's dog was stolen and put up for sale in the nearby halting site.

Not all travellers are bad and while we can tell by the tone of this thread what the "settled" community think of them, it's always interesting to get an outside perspective.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    As a blow in :P can I ask you what was your initial reaction on hearing about travellers and your reaction after having dealings with them?

I know an American woman who was indifferent to them and didn't think they were that bad but her opinion changed when she realised how they treated their animals. Her opinion was further sullied when her friend's dog was stolen and put up for sale in the nearby halting site.

Not all travellers are bad and while we can tell by the tone of this thread what the "settled" community think of them, it's always interesting to get an outside perspective.

A grocery shop near where I work is ran by Pakistan staff who suffer serious racist abuse from young travellers . Have seen one of the shop staff trying to stop young travellers stealing and is met with a tirade of Paki c**t and go back to your own country etc from the young travellers ....
    The shop workers can’t understand how this country tolerates travellers lawlessness . They are talking about closing the shop and moving to UK to relations where they might have some chance of taking over a shop and not been subjected to hourly shoplifting and less racist abuse and general intimidation from travellers .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I’m no fan of criminality, but the whole anti traveler topic has been done to death on this forum. It’s the same sh!t repeated by the same echo chamber on an almost weekly basis. “Sterilization, blah, blah, blah, parasites, blah, blah, dole, blah, free houses, blah, blah, stealing.......”.

Regardless of the veracity of the argument for the live of God give it a rest.

Thank you 😊

• Advertisement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    A grocery shop near where I work is ran by Pakistan staff who suffer serious racist abuse from young travellers . Have seen one of the shop staff trying to stop young travellers stealing and is met with a tirade of Paki c**t and go back to your own country etc from the young travellers ....
    The shop workers can’t understand how this country tolerates travellers lawlessness . They are talking about closing the shop and moving to UK to relations where they might have some chance of taking over a shop and not been subjected to hourly shoplifting and less racist abuse and general intimidation from travellers .

have you ever spoken to the eastern europeans about what they think of travellers ?

i once witnessed a supremely fit bald eastern european LIDL employee stand his ground against a tirade of abuse from a traveller couple , she tore into him for interurpting the kids stealing , he folded his arms and told her exactly what his job was and that he would do the same again , ten minutes later the husband charges into the store , the husband was more reasonable and their was a sort of peaceful conclusion

the eastern europeans dont buy into the cultural relativism of the situation at all

good on em

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement