Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman sues Dunnes Stores over glass jug which shattered after she poured hot water in

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

rafatoni wrote: »
    The word is out across the EU, they give great social welfare and ya do f all or fall and get 60k.

Treasure Ireland is right. Yad get fu** all ik eastern european countries.
    You need to stop foaming at the mouth, it's dripping all over your keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Head in the sand stuff there. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

People are angry and are right to be, especially those involved in small businesses, sports, and voluntary organisations, the likes of these payouts make it more difficult for them to get insurance to continue what they do, of course others, who have a limited knowledge of how things work, think it's ok it's the insurance companies money

People are angry and are right to be, especially those involved in small businesses, sports, and voluntary organisations, the likes of these payouts make it more difficult for them to get insurance to continue what they do, of course others, who have a limited knowledge of how things work, think it's ok it's the insurance companies money
    "People are angry" so it's alright to make out that there was some sort of bulletin across Eastern Europe that "Treasure Ireland" is there for the taking. I don't believe that you can just make **** up, even if "people are angry."

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

"People are angry" so it's alright to make out that there was some sort of bulletin across Eastern Europe that "Treasure Ireland" is there for the taking. I don't believe that you can just make **** up, even if "people are angry."
    calm down woke you will give yourself a coronary.

• Advertisement

rafatoni wrote: »
    calm down woke you will give yourself a coronary.
    People are angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People can read news reports like this from Ireland, they're not fücking stupid or illiterate.

The compensation claim culture here is at comical levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This doesn't seem as off the wall as a lot of cases. I don't have a big problem, with this, people are stupid. There should be documentation stating not to put water over a certain temperature in the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bubble wrap sales to go through the roof.....

Stupid people win stupid prizes well in this case stupid came out on top......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

People fly in to sign for dole fraud.

People fly in to collect childrens allowance when living somewhere else

People fly in to commit insurance fraud.

Its well known at this point that there is easy money here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Even if dunnes sold a faulty jug.. 56k is just fecking silly. Where do they get these numbers from

I think the problem is that judges are so well paid that 56K seems small to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

SACK THE JUDGES!

WE WANT DREDD!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It pays to be stupid. Something seriously stinks in Ireland, where doing something stupid like pouring hot water in a jug, hanging onto a tram or slipping on a chip gets you the equivalent of a few years pay for the average hard working family. Time to get out people. I'm glad I no longer have to tolerate this sort of nonsense where I live, the idea of such claims would be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

eagle eye wrote: »
    This doesn't seem as off the wall as a lot of cases. I don't have a big problem, with this, people are stupid. There should be documentation stating not to put water over a certain temperature in the glass.

Are you really that stupid you don’t know how to use a glass jug?

And €56k for the pleasure? Jesus wept. What would be wrong with just covering her medical expenses and telling her not to be a ****ing idiot in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No there shouldn't, we'd need a large book of all the stupid things not to do with every item we buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think dunnes said there was a sticker on it saying it was for cold drinks only...what more can they be expected to do?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

If people are stupid, let their stupidity be their tutor. A shattered jug and a good old scalding teaches one not to pour hot water into a glass jug. Rewarding stupidity only encourages more stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

jester77 wrote: »
    It pays to be stupid. Something seriously stinks in Ireland, where doing something stupid like pouring hot water in a jug, hanging onto a tram or slipping on a chip gets you the equivalent of a few years pay for the average hard working family. Time to get out people. I'm glad I no longer have to tolerate this sort of nonsense where I live, the idea of such claims would be laughed at.

And where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

easypazz wrote: »
    People fly in to sign for dole fraud.

People fly in to collect childrens allowance when living somewhere else

People fly in to commit insurance fraud.

Its well known at this point that there is easy money here.

The children’s allowance part was widely known abused but fairly well managed now (school age anyway) but you can still get Irish CA and have a child in Poland.

Didn’t some tourist get compensation for missing a step in Brown Thomas last year, even though the stairway was there 70 years?

It’s not just Eastern Europe, you’d get nothing in Spain or Portugal either. Judge said she lived here a number of years, either she’s a slow learner or more likely a fast learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

People can read news reports like this from Ireland, they're not fücking stupid or illiterate.

The compensation claim culture here is at comical levels.

It’s been well documented about people from Easten Europe flying into Dublin, renting a car and staging an accident and then lodging their claims. Ireland’s ridiculous compensation levels are well known far and wide and idiot judges like Cross are mostly to blame for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

DeanAustin wrote: »
    And where is that?

Pick any other country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

fullstop wrote: »

And €56k for the pleasure? Jesus wept. What would be wrong with just covering her medical expenses and telling her not to be a ****ing idiot in future?

She'll sue the Judge for emotional trauma... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

If the same had happened in Slovakia. Would anyone have an idea what kind of case would you have and what kind of compensation could you expect if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

fullstop wrote: »

By awarding such a large amount well over medical expenses the judge is making a statement that Dunnes were seriously negligent and needs to be punished hard to ensure they do better next time.

In some cases this is necessary to make sure large companies do not ignore a problem, of course this case is ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

There's something incredibly unsettling about seeing awards such as this. It undermines trust in our society and its institutions.

I think back on similar ordeals I've suffered and start to feel indignant that I didn't receive compensation.

When I was a child, my father irresponsibly let me fill his car's petrol tank and some malfunction caused it to back-spray petrol into my face and eyes. I was rushed to hospital and had numerous subsequent check-ups, etc. Shouldn't there have been a sign? And even if there was, isn't the garage nonetheless culpable because there was a malfunction and they had no eye-cleaning products to to offer?

I was staying in a hostel in Dublin and a local scumbag who was hanging out in the common room took issue with me and punched me in the face. Are the hostel not culpable for permitting him inside? Surely they ought to ensure a safe environment?

Now, I don't believe in either of the above cases that I was entitled to compensation. But if this one deserves almost twice the average wage, why not me too? These unwarranted payouts genuinely undermine the fabric of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was in a night club and bouncers were chucking out a young lady and she reached for a glass and threw it at bouncers, it missed them and hit me in face ...

I have a scar just above my right eye .....anyone have any idea how much I left behind me ....

I might not have the loot but I certainly have my pride and dignity. .

I agree with previous posters about doing good causes for charity and local events and not getting insurance ..... we had an open day for kids at our local creche and local companies donated prizes and we raffeled them off for charity ....

One child fell and mother put in a claim months later , child wasnt even in creche , mother just brought child along. Mother is a teacher in school and her husband has a claim in local complex sports club for something else I'm not sure of. Fecking scum ......

The whole lot should be burned and fed to pigs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The power and arse licking of these Judges is ridiculous. They are untouchable and so many are making insane rulings and orders.

The whole system of legal aid etc is costing the country an absolute fortune and nobody seems to put much pass on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's no wonder people are turning to the likes of Boris Johnson, the genuine working class are being ridden raw by the dregs of society and their enablers.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Bloody hell, that is shocking.

Some people say Communism instilled a complete distrust of Authority in eastern europeans and therefore corruption is endemic. Her disrepect of of Irish legal system in this case is perhaps influenced by this. She is basically chancing her arm and getting the Irish tax payer to foot the bill for her own stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My daughter has never drank tea or coffee in her life. She's had very little reason to boil water in her life. During the boil water notice I found her pouring boiling water into a glass to cool. She's in her 20s and she's not stupid. She just was never told.

The suing part is stupid alright

She actually sounds quite stupid.

Advertisement