Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman sues Dunnes Stores over glass jug which shattered after she poured hot water in

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Do judges get a % of the claim amount as well as the solicitor and the claimant ?.. seems the only logic to some of Irish courts payouts !

Everyone should have a couple of claims on the go in this country , even if you only dreamt you had an accident there are solicitors out there could get you a payout from some of these judges .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, that is shocking.

Some people say Communism instilled a complete distrust of Authority in eastern europeans and therefore corruption is endemic. Her disrepect of of Irish legal system in this case is perhaps influenced by this. She is basically chancing her arm and getting the Irish tax payer to foot the bill for her own stupidity.

"Some say"... who says? You?

It's nothing our own Paddies and Patricias haven't tried before.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Do judges get a % of the claim amount as well as the solicitor and the claimant ?.. seems the only logic to some of Irish courts payouts !

Everyone should have a couple of claims on the go in this country , even if you only dreamt you had an accident there are solicitors out there could get you a payout from some of these judges .

Judges get a set salary and no commission on awards determined in Court. However, all of the judiciary were Barristers or Solicitors prior to being appointed to the Bench, so it would be natural instinct to keep the awards going in order to keep personal injury litigation lucrative for the practitioners - their former colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Wasn’t Maria Bailey fierce unlucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Motivator wrote: »
    She actually sounds quite stupid.

She's a slow-vakian.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

My wife is Slovak, and makes tea every day in one of these glass jugs.

But she was clever enough to check it could handle the temperature before she bought it. When are judges going to start to ask themselves whether there is any personal responsibility in any of these actions.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

My wife is Slovak, and makes tea every day in one of these glass jugs.

But she was clever enough to check it could handle the temperature before she bought it. When are judges going to start to ask themselves whether there is any personal responsibility in any of these actions.

The judge did mention contributory negligence and reduced the award by 25%. Its still a preposterous but completely unsurprising award. Accountability is rarely a consideration. I'd expect Dunnes to appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Motivator wrote: »
    She actually sounds quite stupid.

To be fair, ignorance is not the same thing as stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

The cultural certainties, he said of an Ireland of “sturdy youths and maidens dancing at the crossroads” is no longer applicable to this country.
    So what now, it's an Ireland filled with thick frail foreigners that need protecting from their own ignorance?
    The judge said he accepted that in Slovakia, which is Ms Cekanova’s home country and in parts of Eastern Europe it is the custom to make tea in a glass jug.
    No, it's not. They (or we as I'm from those parts myself) use metal kettles, boiled over gas hobs.

I'm a bit offended now, should I be calling my solicitor? The Judge comments were condescending to say the least, even borderline racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

All this **** is because judges delighted to throw out money

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brilliant that it was stopped.

I'd love to see her paying costs, she won't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is there any consequence for Justice Cross for coming to such an obviously ridiculous decision in the original case?

Wishful thinking I know but it's stupidity from judges like this that are putting huge numbers of businesses out of business because they don't have the deep pockets to challenge them like Dunnes Stores do or pay the massive insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Delighted to see this overturned. Common sense for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

She might have enough left for a kettle now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is there any consequence for Justice Cross for coming to such an obviously ridiculous decision in the original case?

I was thinking the same, especially for his comment that Dunnes should have known foreigners shop in there and Dunnes should know the customs of every single country in the world (he specifically said Slovakia, but the message would apply to all countries if that is his line of thinking).

At present, I don't think there's any judicial overview committee. I think it's up to the BAR and LAW councils to do anything about a judge, or indeed the person who was affected by the decision, in this case, Dunnes could possibly lodge a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,188 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sooner a few of them with dodgy claims have to pay the costs which in some cases will mean them losing their car or at the higher end their house the better. Hopefully Dunnes costs bankrupt her.

I'd love to see the total bill for all the legal professionals involved. The compensation paid in these nonsense cases is pretty much an irrelevance, as long as everyone gets paid the cases will keep on coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

She might have enough left for a kettle now

Or a teapot! Delighted that it was overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wishful thinking I know but it's stupidity from judges like this that are putting huge numbers of businesses out of business because they don't have the deep pockets to challenge them like Dunnes Stores do or pay the massive insurance premiums.

He'll probably be promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

hope she has afew hundred thousand to pay in legal expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wish it were just stupidity of judges that resulted in awards like this. The more cynical side of me wonders whether it's about keeping the legal gravy train going. Fair play to Dunnes for challenging this and the appeals court for pointing out in plain language just how absurd it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

LillySV wrote: »
    hope she has afew hundred thousand to pay in legal expenses
    Where upon her ambulance chasing legal team will vanish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

She probably had the money spent in her head. delighted for her. she wouldnt get it in Slovakia.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

pgj2015 wrote: »
    She probably had the money spent in her head. delighted for her. she wouldnt get it in Slovakia.

Get shatter-proof jugs there though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I'd love to see the total bill for all the legal professionals involved. The compensation paid in these nonsense cases is pretty much an irrelevance, as long as everyone gets paid the cases will keep on coming.

There should criminal proceedings too for people who take reckless compo cases in the hope they might get a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should be a warning on the oven or microwave to not insert any body parts including head

Similar to coffee cups, content may be hot for example....

What's the best warning or funniest others have seen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A woman I know sued the local rugby club after her kid fell off a bouncy castle , he sprained/broke his wrist . She sued and got 20,000 and still goes up to the club like nothing happened, no one can stand her . It's about time a judge seen sense threw out a claim .

Advertisement