Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman sues Dunnes Stores over glass jug which shattered after she poured hot water in

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do people not pour boiling water into glasses ever? I know I have, when making Lemsip or hot whiskeys or whatever. I wouldn’t be suing of course.

Not boiling water, just quite hot water, and as for hot whiskey, well once you put a metal spoon in there it's all good. Never had any glass shatter on me, let alone a jug in all my years, unless they jumped out of the dishwasher without me seeing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not boiling water, just quite hot water, and as for hot whiskey, well once you put a metal spoon in there it's all good. Never had any glass shatter on me, let alone a jug in all my years, unless they jumped out of the dishwasher without me seeing :p

Aye. I usually put a spoon in but not always. Glasses can take boiling water in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And here's me working like a fool.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The judiciary is a disgrace.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭893bet

A ****ing disgrace.

The judges are ****ing at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

EvaCekanovaCourt13Dec19_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-970292

Hot-tea alert!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Article wrote:
    Mr Justice Cross said making tea in a glass jug was not an Irish custom, but it is a custom in other parts of the EU.

The judge said he accepted that in Slovakia, which is Ms Cekanova’s home country and in parts of Eastern Europe it is the custom to make tea in a glass jug.

Does this mean if an Irish person had of made the exact same claim, then he would have thrown it out of court?
    Article wrote:
    The cultural certainties, he said of an Ireland of “sturdy youths and maidens dancing at the crossroads” is no longer applicable to this country.

Also WTF is this about.

I hope she buys a proper heat proof jug with her settlement now.

Seems to me it depends on the judge on the day really.

There should be a table of compo and get on with it. Less is more. Most people are annoyed with this type of claim. But what can we do?

Bet there will be lots of Vodka Tea in a jug tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

56k.... ****in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Soon you will need a warning on doors out of buildings to say rain might fall on you.

• Advertisement

Once upon a time you'd need a neck like a jockey's b*llocks to take such a case to court.

Nowadays you'd be a fool not to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There should be a table of compo and get on with it. Less is more. Most people are annoyed with this type of claim. But what can we do?

It would not apply in this case, but they could start with fining any chancer solicitors who aid and abet fraudulent claims.

spurious wrote: »
    It would not apply in this case, but they could start with fining any chancer solicitors who aid and abet fraudulent claims.

Why would it not apply in this case, is it because of current regs and so on?

The judges in Court should be well able to suss out chancer solicitors now. Really.

Closed shop to me it seems, despite the odd dismissal twice a year to keep us thinking the judiciary are onto it. They are not in the main IMV.

And we are here with open jaws looking at a woman who put boiling water in a jug and got 50k.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TL/DR? Don't blame the chancer, blame the enabler.

How about blame both?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

whiskeyman wrote: »
    EvaCekanovaCourt13Dec19_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-970292

Hot-tea alert!!

Tea-leaf???

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Username you choose

I wouldn't be surprised if her and her husband have previous claims paid out. I know of a couple who had three payouts totally €70,000 for whiplash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The fact that this lawsuit made it to court is truly depressing. Anybody with a percent of kop on knows not to pour hot water into a glass jug without at least putting a spoon in. The fact that this made it to court is a damning indictment of our legal system. This case was a waste of everybody's time except the litigant. The fact that the litigant won is frightening. Shame on the judge. Case should have been thrown out and the litigant fined for wasting court time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The government need to get rid of idiot judges like Cross. He is very obviously so far removed from reality that he’s lost the run of himself.

A fair judge may have awarded 5k which would have been more than enough money to give to a complete idiot who through her own stupidity injured herself badly.

I hope Dunnes appeal the award and get a judge who has some semblance of intelligence and fairness which Judge Cross is quite clearly totally devoid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Even if dunnes sold a faulty jug.. 56k is just fecking silly. Where do they get these numbers from

Nobody said it was faulty, which makes even worse.a

Added: she claimed it was defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

The judiciary is a disgrace.
    Kevin Cross.. A FG appointee never fails to disappoint at the breath taking pay-outs he awards. It would not surprise me if he is secreting a Bong in his chambers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Them lot are an expert at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

moceri wrote: »
    Kevin Cross.. A FG appointee never fails to disappoint at the breath taking pay-outs he awards. It would not surprise me if he is secreting a Bong in his chambers.

It’s funny when across the hall High Court Judge Twomey is going the other extreme awarding meagre sums to Gardaí who have been badly injured by way of assaults or otherwise in the course of their duties.

Do judges see the book of quantum and just decide they’ll ignore it completely and under/over award accordingly ?

How about blame both?

Because again, without sounding like I sympathise or agree, it's hardly your one's fault that the courts have ruled you can pick up two years salary for breaking a glass. It's not as if she's writing her own cheque here or anything, the case was presented and argued by (presumably) competent and experienced legal counsel for both sides. The court made its decision based on the law of the land, I don't like it, you don't like it, and like it or not there's technically no wrong doing on the part of the claimant.

Of course I think it sucks, ultimately the cost just gets passed from the insurer to the business to the customer, but if people simply prefer to gripe about it online instead of forcing it to be an election issue next time your TD comes knocking on your door looking for "the aul number one" then you can like it or lump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

**** this Judge. What's next, warning labels to not inhale water while drinking from a mug? To not put food straight into the mouth just out of the oven? Will the Government start a new social scheme of hand holding while one baths to ensure retards don't drown in 1cm of water?

The rapid downfall of people being responsible for themselves, for readily available handouts, is ****ing disgusting in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

when in Rome commence frivolous lawsuits to win lots of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My daughter has never drank tea or coffee in her life. She's had very little reason to boil water in her life. During the boil water notice I found her pouring boiling water into a glass to cool. She's in her 20s and she's not stupid. She just was never told.

The suing part is stupid alright

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My daughter has never drank tea or coffee in her life. She's had very little reason to boil water in her life. During the boil water notice I found her pouring boiling water into a glass to cool. She's in her 20s and she's not stupid. She just was never told.

The suing part is stupid alright

the award is also preposterous. 56 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

She’s taken Dunnes as mugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think the judges get off on the power of awarding the big payouts. there is no other explanation for it, its certainly nothing to do with proportionality or natural justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

The word is out across the EU, they give great social welfare and ya do f all or fall and get 60k.

Treasure Ireland is right. Yad get fu** all ik eastern european countries.

Advertisement