Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man slaps reporters ass live on air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Give her a smack on the arse and tell her I was asking for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I agree, but why wouldn’t she?

So as not to look like a cynical careerist who is not, contrary to her own words...
    To the man who smacked my butt on live TV this morning: You violated, objectified, and embarrassed me. No woman should EVER have to put up with this at work or anywhere!! Do better.

But, that's the cesspit that is American media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

anewme wrote: »
    And why wouldn't she?

Seize the day.

Fair enough. She's entitled to seize the day — but onlookers are also entitled to observe that her actions seem to be driven by a desire for career-enhancing publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KiKiReturns

So as not to look like a cynical careerist who is not, contrary to her own words...

But, that's the cesspit that is American media.

She was put in a situation she didn’t ask for, she’s making the best of it. Fair fücks to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I will explain it simply for you that is the general tenant of the level of media sensationalism in the OP's video for example.
    That is the general implied undertones of it.
    As I said it is understandable it attracts interest - marketing and is spun to give other women a send of empowerment on thier last? - crusade.

It is an historical legacy of being tied to the cooker, unable to vote until recent history etc. That is why there is such a reaction because there is constant search for new angles for first world women to 'fight the good fight.'
    You don't need to explain it simply for me. And it's "tenet".

Only you and those who refuse to condemn it are whatabouting and going on about empowerment and bla bla.

The rest of us are just talking about the incident, and how that's a sh1t thing for anyone to do to anyone doing a live broadcast. Only some are hell bent on a battle of the sexes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

She would want to toughen up a bit

Fair enough. She's entitled to seize the day — but onlookers are also entitled to observe that her actions seem to be driven by a desire for career-enhancing publicity.

She may have more than one motivation. It’s quite likely she’s motivated both by career enhancement and the opportunity to highlight that what happened to her was wrong.

Now it has turned into a sh1t storm out of proportion I agree - and she is an opportunist

But that doesn't change how sh1tty the incident was, and the downplaying and ridiculing (purely because she's a woman) started early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What makes me laugh is that people say feminists have a victim mentality. And yet when a woman gets slapped on the arse on live tv, somehow men are the real victims here.

No where have I said that I merely pointed out the senstationism and the reason for it as historically women generally have a different standing in society to men on the whole.
    Women constantly search for ways to decries thier inequality it is pure politics.
    Unfortunately women cannot make men pregnant so they will never be true equality. Jobs etc etc CEO's and so on.

If videos like the OP's make women feel good about themselves and make themselves feel stronger fair enough, no harm I suppose.
    But if it is done too sensationally and too often sensationally it loses its effect.
    This is the point another poster was trying to make.
    Plus it also devalues other women in the more serious cases as a result.
    It becomes a slow erosion of credibility.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yep, so what though.?

She didn't ask for that eejit to hit her.

For every action there is a reaction. His action caused her reaction and now he has to face the consequences.

If she gets a better job out of it, fair play.

• Advertisement

I’d feel very differently if the guy in question owned his behaviour- he could have said something like “It was the end of the race, there was a lot of high jinks and in the spur of the moment I did something totally out of character. I apologise unreservedly to the reporter.”

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Someone's been watching too many Liam Neeson films.
    Always laugh when i read that nonsense on here. As Mcg would say "ya will do bleeding nuting"

Can I just remind people that it was the man slapping her on the arse that has caused this story to be seen around the world. THAT is the reason why;

A. There is a story

B. We're discussing it now.

Had he not done so, the woman would have carried on with her job as normal, reporting the news, and we'd all be wandering around the rest of Boards.

You'd swear she jumped on his hand, and then cried foul, the way some of ye are carrying on.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    You don't need to explain it simply for me. And it's "tenet".

Only you and those who refuse to condemn it are whatabouting and going on about empowerment and bla bla.

The rest of us are just talking about the incident, and how that's a sh1t thing for anyone to do to anyone doing a live broadcast. Only some are hell bent on a battle of the sexes.
    ?

I was thinking of the beer I think?
    Again you are making assumptions nowhere did I say it was OK. I said it was wrong given its context. My main gripe is the sensatinalism and if any comparision is made that people cannot counter it is termed as whataboutery.

It is an historical legacy -

I think it is basically

The Power chain world is like this =

White Men
    White Women -white Gay men -subsets of
    Black men subsets of
    Black women subsets of etc etc

Travellers would be the lowest tier in Ireland I would think - so they have a lot of climbing to do

There is always the talk of glass ceilings when it comes to women and or minorities. It is why videos like the OP get spun as a crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

"He stole a part of my body" .... Missus will YA SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!!!

disrespectful to actual sexual assault victims!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

But where is the witch-hunt in this story? It’s not a story about the male gender as a whole, it’s about this one guy. We know it’s not made up because he was retarded enough to do it on camera.

Do you think there should be any consequences at all to touching a woman’s behind on live tv as she goes about her work?

If not, where would you draw the line? What if he’s honka honk’d her boobs? Grabbed her vagina? How would you feel if it was your wife/ daughter/ sister?

The only people making this about men in general are the men on the thread.

But again, it's the fact that there are so many 'bad male behaviour' stories out there, they're never ending. Now maybe men are all bad and women are all victims, but I seriously doubt it.

In fact what I saw at my christmas party last week was the exact opposite, it was the ladies slapping mens arses and nothing in return but you won't hear that reported on the news, no chance!

But if we're purely talking about this story in isolation, yes of course he was stupid to do what he done, it was idiotic. I don't think a slap on the arse is a big news story though, I've had female colleagues do it to me, but hey, I have a nice arse :-)

Ps, would I do it back? No chance, not if I wanted to stay employed!!!

That is the type of thing I am trying to explain - but apparently it is engaging in whataboutery and condoning the man in questions behaviour on here.

Apparently there is no grey went it comes to the issue, you are either with them or against them!:confused:

Ach, I dunno. I don't care about the glass ceiling, I don't feel bitter about treatment of women in the past, I've always been treated very well, the gender pay gap is a crock, I hate seeing men experience unfairness because of being men... there is a rise in misogyny online though, and a belittling of women's experiences like this. Not earth shattering - but still absolutely zero grounds for dismissal/ridicule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

The sad thing is, is what he did was wrong and she shouldn't have to put up with, but she is blatantly playing victim here.

Apparently, if you watch the interview I linked earlier, he 'hit her so hard it hurt, 'It hurt her emotionally and physically', and a few other things.

Tbh, I kind of have doubts he did it in on puprose to begin with, but time will tell.

anewme wrote: »
    For every action there is a reaction. His action caused her reaction and now he has to face the consequences.

Well, it's more complicated. Her initial reaction was a Tweet condemning the man's actions — but that Tweet got almost 200,000 retweets and almost three-quarters of a million likes. It led to a lot of publicity, and got her bookings on national talk shows, but also attracted criticism that she was making a mountain out of a molehill. So now she has filed criminal charges for sexual battery in an effort to prove her critics wrong and/or gain even more publicity.

He undeniably did something wrong. But the way that it has escalated, so that a slap on the ass in Georgia is now being hotly debated on a discussion forum thousands of miles away and will likely lead to a widely publicized court case, is a classic instance of social media snowballing.

• Advertisement

But again, it's the fact that there are so many 'bad male behaviour' stories out there, they're never ending. Now maybe men are all bad and women are all victims, but I seriously doubt it.

In fact what I saw at my christmas party last week was the exact opposite, it was the ladies slapping mens arses and nothing in return but you won't hear that reported on the news, no chance!

But if we're purely talking about this story in isolation, yes of course he was stupid to do what he done, it was idiotic. I don't think a slap on the arse is a big news story though, I've had female colleagues do it to me, but hey, I have a nice arse :-)

The biggest stories in the news lately that paint men in a bad light have been to do with Harvey Weinstein’s settlement, Jeffrey Epstein’s victims, the Prince Andrew debacle etc

Maybe you should be mad at them for doing such awful stuff that it’s in the news all the time. These stories are newsworthy, it’s not a witch-hunt.

That is the type of thing I am trying to explain - but apparently it is engaging in whataboutery and condoning the man in questions behaviour on here.

Apparently there is no grey went it comes to the issue, you are either with them or against them!:confused:
    What she said is pure scutter of course - it's not whatabouting to say that. But there was very much whatabouting earlier. I mean it was literally "and what about when men are slapped on the arse".

She's letting the side down now.

This woman here sued for 10m dollars from an airline as she was sexually assaulted on a plane.

10m dollars!!!

the alleged must have been hitting the drinks trolley hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But no one is saying that those stories mean that men are "all bad"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Dollar bills boys,dollar bills.

Exactly, but the pity is there are I assume - lots of intelligent women on this thread who are unwilling to even consider this well point.
    As it would make them seem less of a feminist maybe?
    Women and men will never to be truly equal how offices would find it acceptable to have a man cry about a mini crisis. Whereas many women are wired to cry more (the minority use it as a tactic to turn on the waterworks.

Smacking people on the arse is wrong in the OP's context but there are of course scenarios where it is acceptable.

The fact that this video has gone viral only highlights the difference in social standing that women still have v men. If a man was smacked it would not get any interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Who's holding "men" responsible?

A man is being held responsible for a thing he did himself. On camera.

It's one incident. Nobody is denying the wider issues but this is one incident!

Yes I know, and we'll hear of another soon enough, then another.....and another and they will all be men doing terrible things to women.

Listen, I naively thought a few years ago that media outlets were doing good in highlighting genuinely terrible things that men were doing to women (and I would honestly not make light of that, they need to be highlighted).

But again it was every single day, there had to be at least one 'man bad, woman victim' story and to me that's witch hunt 101. Call it what you like, but you can't seriously call it balanced reporting.

Ps, yes the man was absolutely wrong to do what he done in this particular case, no denying that.

The biggest stories in the news lately that paint men in a bad light have been to do with Harvey Weinstein’s settlement, Jeffrey Epstein’s victims, the Prince Andrew debacle etc

It would be nice if we could have a sense of proportion, though.

Weinstein allegedly sexually abused over 80 women. Epstein sexually abused and trafficked numerous young women, including girls as young as 14.

This marathon runner slapped a reporter on the ass. What he did was wrong, but it's not remotely in the same league as Weinstein/Epstein wrong.

• Advertisement

beyond doubt this was bang out of order but the guy's life is going to be really fooked now with the whole "virality" aspect of this. probably doesn't deserve the level of impact that it is going to have.

I would agree as others have said that if it was a male reporter in the race who had his ass slapped by a woman then there would be no story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement