Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

interesting first and second video in the thread. Christ almighty

https://twitter.com/AllPassingThing/status/1205638644893200384

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    they dont have the funding of the nations unions , NGO,s and various professional leftists

No Soros? You nearly had a wingnut bingo line. And all I saw were social media banners shared by people on both sides. I suppose Christy Moore does garner a bit more attention than that scissors-for-defence-in-minority-areas eejit all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

no idea who they are

A handful of irrelevant hand bangers who are only known on the Internet.
    Reading some of the Walter Mitty types on here, you would think it was Germany in 1938.

I see thejournal have decided to wash iver the facts completely and say that the free speech protest was infact a counter protest to the ‘march for peace’ . How low can they go really.

Why have people correlated a desire for freedom of speech and racism so much, is it possible to campaign for freedom of speech anymore without being branded a racist

Maybe it’s the corollary that stems from those specific clowns and their proven record of racism and homophobia? Just a suggestion.

I genuinely hope a bunch a knackers curbstomp you.

Not being edgy, I really hope that happens to you.

Sweet.

• Advertisement

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Reading some of the Walter Mitty types on here, you would think it was Germany in 1938.

Based on what exactly? Seems to me you’re engaging in a flight of fantasy yourself.

Seriously I do. The scene in American History X where Ed Norton stomps the black? I hope that happens to you

Sweet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

Its ok thsnks. I will be standing firmly against hate speech today

https://facebook.com/events/2374096729569681/?ti=as

I've a question or two.

Ursula Halligan, who was there protesting, said (didn't know she was an activist, though I've not seen her on TV3 in years so maybe unemployment is a pre requisite) some blather about all refugees and migrants being welcome here.

Now, here's what I don't get.

Why are all refugees treated as one, homogeneous people?

Like, why not say, all refugees who are background checked, who abide by our laws and who have a work ethic are welcome.

Why not say that. There seems to be a ludicrous belief that every refugee, asylum seeker and migrant is a good person.

Most probably are. But much like the Irish, a significant percent of them will be complete arseholes. Most studies show that 4 percent of most Western populations are incapable of working, so at the very least 4 percent of refugees will fall under this category, although various studies will show it's probably a bit more than that.

Like, one catchphrase I've seen at these things is "racists out- refugees in" or "swap refugees for racists".

Where does the thinking come that they are mutually exclusive? That there's no venn diagram crossover allowing for a racist refugee.

And what about the opinions of these people on other pet subjects of the left?

Do you think Olutunde from Nigeria has views on homosexuality that are more in line with yours, or with those of the Iona Institute?

Do you think Mohammed from Algeria has views on women's place outside the home that are more in line with Ruth Coppinger or with Borat?

This is a genuine question. Why do the left give a blanket welcome to people from abroad, without at least a caveat of "as long as they are prepared to abide by x y and z"

Refugees welcome?

To a certain extent I say. In a numerical quota, without being bumped to the top of any housing list, with background checking, and with a review process rather than being handed a passport at the earliest opportunity (i.e. repeated run ins with the law or extended periods on welfare, home you go)

But this attitude of refugees welcome, no matter who they are, what work ethic they have, what opinions they hold, it's fcking daft.

interesting first and second video in the thread. Christ almighty

https://twitter.com/AllPassingThing/status/1205638644893200384

There are very disturbed people on all sides. Nobody can claim with a straight face that this mutant is a kinder, sweeter, gentler person than troglodytes like G'OD and Dee Wall. They're all to a man/ woman angry, twisted hateful individuals, usually detached from wider society.

All refugees are background-checked. That’s part and parcel of the asylum claim investigation. And those going through the asylum process are extremely limited in accessing employment, on account of rules set by our system. So by those measures you seem to be in agreement that refugees are welcome here. Successful asylum seekers get no preference in housing lists - plenty of them are stuck in DP as they have no access to alternative accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Antifa allegedly attacked Women and Children at the rally today, a couple were arrested. Videos floating around online.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Antifa allegedly attacked Women and Children at the rally today, a couple were arrested. Videos floating around online.

Ill await the videos but that doesnt seem outside their wheel house, disgraceful if true

The sole arrest video I saw - with the lad in the blue waistcoat being bundled into the car - he looked like an alt-****e candidate. Those around him had tricolours rolled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ill await the videos but that doesnt seem outside their wheel house, disgraceful if true

Not saying it didn't happen as I despise the antics of ANTIFA, but from looking online I'm seeing absolutely nothing about this and it's also posted from a literally brand 'new' account.

alastair wrote: »
    The sole arrest video I saw - with the lad in the blue waistcoat being bundled into the car - he looked like an alt-****e candidate. Those around him had tricolours rolled up.

Is the tri colour an ‘alt right’ flag now ?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Not saying it didn't happen as I despise the antics of ANTIFA, but from looking online I'm seeing absolutely nothing about this and it's also posted from a literally brand 'new' account.

Hence my skepticism in offering opinion until i see the videos myself.

alastair wrote: »
    All refugees are background-checked. That’s part and parcel of the asylum claim investigation.

Are they?

How many fail the background checks and are refused entry, out of interest?

Like, I know the government has been "background checking" people in camps in Lebanon, Greece, Italy etc.

If the background checks work, it is impossible that a fair few of these people would fail the background check.

How many have failed it?

If the answer is zero it would seem the background check isn't successful.

. Successful asylum seekers get no preference in housing lists - plenty of them are stuck in DP as they have no access to alternative accommodation.

But programme refugees from Syria do get preferential access to housing. Three months is the target from reception centre to permanent home. Show me anyone who has got an actual council house in this country within 3 months of asking in the last 30 years.

Also, while you claim successful asylum seekers don't, would I be right in saying a Nigerian single mother would find herself better placed than, say, a seperated man in his 40's who has worked and contributed since he was 15?

Does that seem fair to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Wonder would Kitty Hollands tweet fall foul of the proposed hate speech laws.

In my view it was cleary anti semitic.

statesaver wrote: »

Yes it was, but Kitty is confident that the Hate Speech laws won't apply to her and people of her political persuasion..and she's probably right.

statesaver wrote: »

Do you mean the one where she linked to an article highlighting the difference between anti-semitism and anti-Zionism?

eg. the difference between hating Jewish people and hating the actions taken by the Israeli state?

• Advertisement

Do you mean the one where she linked to an article highlighting the difference between anti-semitism and anti-Zionism?

eg. the difference between hating Jewish people and hating the actions taken by the Israeli state?
    No, the one where she said
    "It's a great result for Zionism, Monsters are roaring their delight"

You see the proposed laws state that the perception of the victim is what matters, so Kittys perception of what constitutes Anti Semitism is completely irrelevant.
    So if a Jewish person takes this to be 'hate' then it is hate. And what Kitty thinks is neither here nor there.

You see the proposed laws state that the perception of the victim is what matters, so Kittys perception of what constitutes Anti Semitism is completely irrelevant.
    So if a Jewish person takes this to be 'hate' then it is hate. And what Kitty thinks is neither here nor there.

Not saying you're wrong, but have you got a link to the tweet and context?

I don't really know who Kitty is so I've no real place to judge it.

She's a columnist for the Irish times. The tweet was a reaction to the Conservatives victory, I guess in relation to the charges of Anti Semitism levelled at Corbyn.
    She deleted it after a couple of hours but as with everything online it was saved by a lot of people.

And herein lies the danger , we have female and minority journalists who even currently with nothing to gain label a critique of them or their work as an attack on women / minorities , imagine what theyll do if they had a legal framework which allows a conviction based on that.

Laws like this allow bigots like una mullally and emma dabiri to peddle their hate agenda unabashed as there is no doubt in my mind that this perception of hate couldnt be used by white middle class people or catholics to get a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

I've a question or two.

Ursula Halligan, who was there protesting, said (didn't know she was an activist, though I've not seen her on TV3 in years so maybe unemployment is a pre requisite) some blather about all refugees and migrants being welcome here.

Now, here's what I don't get.

Why are all refugees treated as one, homogeneous people?

Like, why not say, all refugees who are background checked, who abide by our laws and who have a work ethic are welcome.

Why not say that. There seems to be a ludicrous belief that every refugee, asylum seeker and migrant is a good person.

Most probably are. But much like the Irish, a significant percent of them will be complete arseholes. Most studies show that 4 percent of most Western populations are incapable of working, so at the very least 4 percent of refugees will fall under this category, although various studies will show it's probably a bit more than that.

Like, one catchphrase I've seen at these things is "racists out- refugees in" or "swap refugees for racists".

Where does the thinking come that they are mutually exclusive? That there's no venn diagram crossover allowing for a racist refugee.

And what about the opinions of these people on other pet subjects of the left?

Do you think Olutunde from Nigeria has views on homosexuality that are more in line with yours, or with those of the Iona Institute?

Do you think Mohammed from Algeria has views on women's place outside the home that are more in line with Ruth Coppinger or with Borat?

This is a genuine question. Why do the left give a blanket welcome to people from abroad, without at least a caveat of "as long as they are prepared to abide by x y and z"

Refugees welcome?

To a certain extent I say. In a numerical quota, without being bumped to the top of any housing list, with background checking, and with a review process rather than being handed a passport at the earliest opportunity (i.e. repeated run ins with the law or extended periods on welfare, home you go)

But this attitude of refugees welcome, no matter who they are, what work ethic they have, what opinions they hold, it's fcking daft.

I suspect a lot of the type of people you are thinking about were themselves kind of the outsiders growing up,who weren't in with the popular crowd maybe some were even bullied by some of the "cool kids" and now feel some sort of affinity to refugees and other minorities,
    They kinda remind me of ephialtes from the movie "the 300', rejected by his own people so turns to their enemies to betray them.

Is the tri colour an ‘alt right’ flag now ?

If there’s a preponderance of ‘patriots’ at a protest - sure - it’s a reliable marker of the alt-****e. They’ve not got much creativity on the whole banner front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Think she deleted the tweet.

It's a great result for Zionism.
    Monsters are roaring their delight

Think she may of been implying the anti semitic accusations labour in britain faced were made up by zionists.
    Very stupid tweet and just shows those like her who want hate speech laws, really have no idea.

She writes for the Irish Times.

Are they?

How many fail the background checks and are refused entry, out of interest?

Like, I know the government has been "background checking" people in camps in Lebanon, Greece, Italy etc.

If the background checks work, it is impossible that a fair few of these people would fail the background check.

How many have failed it?

If the answer is zero it would seem the background check isn't successful.

But programme refugees from Syria do get preferential access to housing. Three months is the target from reception centre to permanent home. Show me anyone who has got an actual council house in this country within 3 months of asking in the last 30 years.

Also, while you claim successful asylum seekers don't, would I be right in saying a Nigerian single mother would find herself better placed than, say, a seperated man in his 40's who has worked and contributed since he was 15?

Does that seem fair to you?

All refugees are background checked. Those who make their claim here are checked here, the few that we’ve taken in from foreign UN camps are checked by the UN. The vast majority of asylum claims here are rejected, but that’s not to say their backgrounds don’t check out - their claim may be valid but not meet the criteria for protection.

Programme refugees have been given allocated housing, but they comprise a minority of refugees that make their way here. And yes - a family will generally rank higher on housing wait lists than a single adult - irrespective of any other criteria.

gw80 wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of the type of people you are thinking about were themselves kind of the outsiders growing up,who weren't in with the popular crowd maybe some were even bullied by some of the "cool kids" and now feel some sort of affinity to refugees and other minorities,
    They kinda remind me of ephialtes from the movie "the 300', rejected by his own people so turns to their enemies to betray them.

Theres a lot of truth in that.
    Many of these people don't fit in with societies standards of the 'ideal' be it Woman or Man. These ideals are largely still pushed and promoted by the media, Hollywood, Womens magazines etc And most people still have these standards by which they judge people.

So whilst these people have been empowered, they still don't fit in, or to put it bluntly..the ugly girls are still ugly. The nerdy boys are still nerdy. And the boys still go for the hot girls and the girls still go for the hot guys.
    This drives them demented, and thus a lot of them are all rage, hate, resentment and practically radioactive with neurosis.

• Advertisement

Theres a lot of truth in that.
    Many of these people don't fit in with societies standards of the 'ideal' be it Woman or Man. These ideals are largely still pushed and promoted by the media, Hollywood, Womens magazines etc And most people still have these standards by which they judge people.

So whilst these people have been empowered, they still don't fit in, or to put it bluntly..the ugly girls are still ugly. The nerdy boys are still nerdy. And the boys still go for the hot girls and the girls still go for the hot guys.
    This drives them demented, and thus a lot of them are all rage, hate, resentment and practically radioactive with neurosis.

Have you had a look at the ‘ideal examples of men and women’ who make up the freezepeach contingent? 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement