Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hate Speech Public Consultation

1798081828385»

Comments

• You've called me paranoid and have told me to grow a spine (a clear inference that I have no backbone and am therefore cowardly).

On a public platform.

How is that not hatred?

It sure seems like targeted harassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,671 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, nothing wrong with hatred, I reserve the right to dislike or hate anyone. And as required, express that.

Hate is simply intense dislike.

the expression of which is legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

love often leads to hate. Splitting up with a partner can bring the nasty side out. Will that be investigated for hate speech too. This is my issue its to nebulous.

• I intensely dislike the proposed hate speech law.

This is incitement of hate.

The law is guilty of itself

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

She shot herself in the foot with RibenaGate. I can't remember what university had given her a makey uppy degree and let her lecture there, but when she doubled down after RibenaGate and moved onto the racist statues outside a hotel they distanced themselves from her. This is the same woman who comes from a wealthy family that's part of a wealthy tribe that were at the forefront of selling slaves to white slavers. She's a neck like a jockeys arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Nuts102

We haven't enough guards on the street as it is.

Yet some people believe we should have them wasting time going after someone who said something somebody was offended by.

I can imagine it, someone killed in an altercation and the guards couldn't get their quick enough because they were off chasing someone who called an adult a name they didn't like.

What a world.

• Also people thinking that a crime is worse because they can put "hate" as a prefix.

If me and my mate got hopped on, some here would think that if my friend was called a "sexuality slur/racist slur" while it was happening, it should be deemed more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That’s quite the bond between you two it’s endearing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I think hate speech laws are really just designed to ensure that the NGO gravy train keeps chugging along, no pun intended. You can't stop people thinking or feeling certain ways. People who are racist or homophobic or bigots of whatever kind will always be like that, no amount of legislation will change that. But I don't believe that Hate Speech laws are actually intended to change anything.

Most people have bigger issues in life than someone else's skin colour/religion/gender/sexual orientation or whatever. What we do have is an awful lot of NGO's chasing a certain trough of money. If we have social cohesion that trough won't be refilled. That's why there's constant pushing of agendas saying Ireland has a massive racism problem, we don't, if we did we wouldn't have the numbers that we do coming here.

It takes just over 2 years for an application for asylum to be processed for some bizarre reason. Helen McEntee recently announced a scheme giving everyone who has been waiting over 2 years for their claim to be processed the right to stay here. So far this year we've had 5000 applicants and again most are from Africa, yet we've no end of NGO's telling Paddy were all a bunch of racist bastards. We had 12,000 mostly Africans a year arriving before the loophole was closed and we're well on target to reach if not exceed that number this year.

I think it's just intended to shut people up. To shut down public discussion and debate. Calling Paddy racist stopped working long ago, the race card was played too many times. People openly discuss being annoyed at having to fund scam artists whether they be overpaid staff working for NGO's or economic migrants and this is just the next step in shutting down debate. People aren't afraid to speak their minds anymore so this is just a way of scaring them into submission again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Sorry what's transphobic ?

The fact that saying trans women aren't women ?

You see the problem ?

You see that as hate speech when it is just a fact - one that you find offensive, but unfortunately facts don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's not hate speech, it's an opinion. I wish people would actually comment on what's in the proposed legislation rather than what's in their fevered imaginations.

Thanks for that post, it really sums up the creepy side of the argument, that people aren't even allowed to feel something.

Are people allowed to feel angry? Or sad? Or hungry? Or wistful? Apparently something invented by a creepy weirdo in the last century can form the basis of legislation based on something that people feel but one of the most basic human feelings is to be outlawed. It's a funny old world.

• The problem is the interpretation of hate speech within the legislation. The grounds for determining if something is hate speech gives a lot of leeway in judging others because the vagueness of certain articles.. while elevating certain groups above criticism or similar judgment.

I've read it before, and I'm not jumping to an extreme here. The legalisation itself relies heavily on those in authority not pursuing some kind of agenda... and honestly, I'd say the creators of the bill were heavily influenced by the PC movement. It has a similar theme to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would like to think that hate speech legislation will eliminate extremists calling for the murder/deportation/beating up of people they disagree with.

Open hate speech leads directly to hate crimes and Ireland has seen a few to many examples recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Let's take a looks at the UK......

In the UK, after an alleged 'transphobic' tweet by ex-police officer Harry Miller was recorded on a national database as a non-crime hate incident. won a legal challenge against a national policy for forces to record gender-critical views as non-crime "hate incidents". UK court of appeal ruled that the recording of ‘non-crime hate incidents’ was unlawful and not only violated his right to free speech but had a "chilling effect" on Miller's freedom of speech.

A kid, a very dangerous suspect, from Wiltshire, UK was accused of calling an eleven-year-old boy ‘shorty’ and a 'leprechaun' is now on file as having perpetrated a ‘non-hate incident’. Even though the child has not committed an actual crime, the incident will show in criminal record checks for the next six years which will of course impact his future employment opportunities. The child nor his parents dont have the right to appeal the ‘non-hate incident’ despite the fact UK police have been told by the government to cease recording so-called ‘hate incidents’ because again they're not actual crimes. In December 2021 the Appeal Court ruled that the policy unlawfully interferes with the right to freedom of expression. And what makes this policy pathetic, Wiltshire was named as the worst force in the country last year when it came to solving sex attacks, cracking just one in 140 rape cases….

An Ex-West Mercia PC was jailed for 20 weeks after racist memes which mocked George Floyd. He was found guilty of 10 counts of "sending a grossly offensive or menacing message by a public communication network". Deputy chief magistrate Tan Ikram “But the fact remains that over a period of about a month, you continued to post messages which were grossly offensive” and “no doubt you would have received training in relation to diversity and inclusion in that role". Grossly offensive content and racism are two different things in this context. But then again you must not state facts, question or mock G Floyd

An inquiry has reaffirmed findings that Telford police, schools & social services repeatedly refused to address the sexual abuse of more than a thousand children in Telford by Muslim, south Asian men due to fears that it could inflame racial tensions. The independent inquiry into grooming gangs in Telford found that "Unnecessary suffering and even deaths of children might have been avoided, had West Mercia Police (WMP) “done its most basic job” in acting on reports of such crime"

Samanta Smith, a survivor of the Telford rape gangs, went on GBNews to discuss child sex crimes in Telford. The following day, officers came to her home banging on her door, demanding that she speak to them about her interview telling her that when she goes on the News and talks about grooming gangs in Telford, it is their duty to follow up with her. A victim is being made to feel like a criminal for simply having the Gaul to speak out about the failings of the police, council and social services in Telford! They ignored victims for decades but tried to intimidate her for exposing their failings on the tele. Under no cicumstances should law enforment be nervous nor hestitant out of fears of accusations of racism or fearing an investigation could inflame racial tensions when investigating non nationals, regardless of culture or religion. The exploitation of children should never be ignored. If we now try to educaye people through use of findings from the likes of this case and we dare to try and prevent this from happening in Irish communities, you'll be charged with hate speech.

Chief Inspector of Constabulary, Andy Cooke said Police forces are “not the thought police”, adding “Thoughts, unless they become actions, aren’t an offence”. going on to stated that 'hate-related non-crimes or Hate incidents' can remain on police records and could turn up on enhanced vetting checks by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Policing needs to ensure the public can have confidence that the police will take action against criminality, whatever level that is. The serious criminality needs to be addressed. right through [to] neighbourhood crimes, burglaries and car theft as well

Sir Tom Winsor, Cooke's predecessor previously warned against the influence of 'thought crime' on the police force, adding that chief constables must remember they 'enforce not create' the law. Home Office stated police are solving the lowest proportion of crimes ever, with only 5% of all crimes resulted in a charge in the year to September 2021. The figure is equivalent to only one in 17 offences being solved, with Cooke adding crime rates were now the worst in his 36-year career. Crimes such as burglaries, robberies and shoplifting, and sexual offences, were going unpunished The fact that the police has to be reminded that they are not the thought police tells you everything about the state of the UK.

McEntee is out of her depth being kept afloat by the NGOs degenerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You have more " privilege " in their eyes and thus much harder to commit wrongdoing against

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

"Hate speech is designed to shut people down, to shut them up, to make them afraid to say who they are and to exclude and isolate them. There is nothing free about that, and there is, frankly, no place for it in our society.” - Helen McEntee

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/1027/1331672-hate-speech-bill-latest/

The irony. The legislation is designed to shut people down and shut them up. The only debate that's to be had will be in the Dail amongst docile self-serving career politicians who will just push it through.

Secondary school science teachers will be brought before the Irish Ministry of Truth facing up to five years imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭lmao10

The far right meltdown has been very enjoyable. "I'm going to continue being racist and hateful and these laws won't stop me!!! boohoo!!!". Along with a Hindu becoming british PM and the meltdown in the multiculturalism thread, it's all been very enjoyable to watch. Fair play to Helen, she has done a positive thing here and hopefully those who are marginalised and targeted by these lowlife scum incels will feel a little safer. Great to see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's terrible Joe. I can no longer scream racist or homophobic epithets at someone while I'm beating them up lest it be considered an aggravating factor in my subsequent conviction. I'm so oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,741 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - The public consultation on this is over and the legislation is making its way through the various approval stages

I'm closing this thread, there is no need for two active threads on the same topic

Please discuss the pending legislation in this thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058269087/new-hate-speech-laws-and-transgenderism#latest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement