Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed and the genetic "evidence" for ethnicity to back this up was bloody dubious too. You may as well argue all men with M222 on their Y chromosome with names associated with O'Neill are also an "ethnic group". On the different cultural aspects there was more solid ground, but by god it's a stretch and far more about the political decision you mention.

Which BTW I wouldn't have much of an issue with if it were a positive way of changing things for them and wider Irish society, but instead it has meant more of the nothing to see here, let's ignore the facts and accuse those raising those facts however civilly of being racists. I don't mean Casey or support for him in this. The support he got was as much about the shock of hearing someone, somewhere on the national airwaves raising this without being filtered through Pavee Point's prism of perpetual victimhood.

And again it seems you have lost the ability to bloody well read. When it suits. From the link I posted from the on the ground sources: A Catalan high school teacher, Manel Riu, appeared in court on Thursday accused of hate speech for his tweets and Facebook posts criticizing Spain, government members and the Guardia Civil police. And yes the police were added as a group to Spanish "hate speech" legislation. That's precisely how the man was charged with those offences in the first bloody place.

Maybe a report in Spain's El Pais newspaper on the back of Amnesty international expressing concern might help. If you can get your literacy skills back in play. You don't even have to understand Spanish. In its annual report on the state of human rights in countries across the world, Amnesty International has criticized Spain for making excessive terrorism allegations against people expressing a difference of opinion on social media These were prosecuted under Spain's "hate speech" legislation.

But ah no, that could never happen here. "Multiculturalism" and "diversity" is current government political policy. There have already been a couple on here clutching their outrage and offence pearls over others criticising those policies and out and out called them racists for holding this viewpoint. As for the proposed legislation we've little actual hard facts as to what it will actually contain. It's still in the planning stage. That's the point of this very thread

But please don't let anyone stop you from continuing on with your usual deflection.

Once again - my reading skills are fine, cheers. And the legislation that the Catalan guy was charged under has nothing to do with the Spanish hate speech legislation. It has to do with the completely separate terrorism incitement laws - as I’ve already stated, and which is confirmed in the EL País link you kindly provided. Now to avoid any more confusion on your part - it’s legislation that is related to publishing and speech, but it’s nothing to do with their existing hate speech laws with regard to race/gender/ethnicity etc. So please don’t repeat your bull**** about the legislation being extended to include the king or police or whatever - it wasn’t. That’s separate incitement legislation.

To add to this: at the time I actually looked up the relevant study, something I doubt most of the Traveller cheerleaders have done. It did state that Travellers had some minor genetic differences from normal Irish people, but the bit most people leave out is that this was down to inbreeding. Further, the same authors had previously published a separate study which indicated that people from the Midlands were genetically more distinct from other Irish people than Travellers were - surely they qualify for 'ethnic minority' status then?

Given that Peter Casey saying that Travellers should be treated equally to everyone else is regarded by some here as hate speech, I'm sure the above would see me in the dock if this farcical law comes in.

A reminder - ethnicity is not purely about genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

alastair wrote: »
    A reminder - ethnicity is not purely about genetics.

I don't recollect saying it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Once a year I find a tweet by David Quinn I actually like.

https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/1205595828640989184

I don't recollect saying it was.

You don’t?
    a separate study which indicated that people from the Midlands were genetically more distinct from other Irish people than Travellers were - surely they qualify for 'ethnic minority' status then?

What’s all that then?

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Once a year I find a tweet by David Quinn I actually like.

https://twitter.com/DavQuinn/status/1205595828640989184

Dave’s campaign of victimhood trundles on, despite no-one actually caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dave’s campaign of victimhood trundles on, despite no-one actually caring.

Actually Catholics have taken a battering, unlike us colorful LGBT's of late, who apparently need a halo of constant protection lest we melt.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Actually Catholics have taken a battering, unlike us colorful LGBT's of late, who apparently need a halo of constant protection lest we melt.

Dave doesn’t speak for Catholics - plenty of whom are on the left. Nope the only victimhood he’s interested in, is his own imaginary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There is a rally at 1 pm tomorrow outside Leinster house for those who are not aware.

https://twitter.com/FreeSpeechIre/status/1205185296968667144

i had intended to go to that march myself but my other half is working and i have to mind the kids

the so called " march for peace " (which deliberately arranged to counter the free speech demo which was planned months ago ) is a rogues gallery of NGO hacks and various grievance industry hustlers .

Dave doesn’t speak for Catholics - plenty of whom are on the left. Nope the only victimhood he’s interested in, is his own imaginary one.

identity politics industry hustlers dont speak for many on the left either .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i had intended to go to that march myself but my other half is working and i have to mind the kids

So that will be 9 at it.

Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is a rally at 1 pm tomorrow outside Leinster house for those who are not aware.

https://twitter.com/FreeSpeechIre/status/1205185296968667144

Its ok thsnks. I will be standing firmly against hate speech today

https://facebook.com/events/2374096729569681/?ti=as

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Boggles wrote: »
    So that will be 9 at it.

Pity.

are you some sort of mole ?

are you some sort of mole ?

Yes I'm a mole.

I want your freedom of screech!

kissclipart-sad-mole-cartoon-clipart-moles-cartoon-80e54e23fb2ac2b0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the so called " march for peace " (which deliberately arranged to counter the free speech demo which was planned months ago ) is a rogues gallery of NGO hacks and various grievance industry hustlers .
    "Hate is rising, we need more funding"

Boggles wrote: »
    Yes I'm a mole.

I want your freedom of screech!

kissclipart-sad-mole-cartoon-clipart-moles-cartoon-80e54e23fb2ac2b0.png

no one can screech like an intolerant lefty

no one can screech like an intolerant lefty

Are you a righty? :rolleyes:

Grow up man FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sosndt

I think it should be simple i.e.

That knack/black/Muslim is a ****er simply because he is a knack/black/Muslim should not be ok.

However
    That knack/black/muslim is a ****er cause he banged my missus while I was at work should be fine.

Some words like knacker rag head etc are offensive and always will be. Personally I'm glad we no longer say things like ni##er etc.

The biggest issue here is the ****e politicians we have will **** it up regardless.

the best antidote to bad ideas is sunlight

the best antidote to bad ideas is sunlight

Don’t worry - these clown’s bad ideas will continue to come in spades, and be subject to the appropriate ridicule, it’s just the hate speech dressing will be subject to prosecution.

• Advertisement

which clowns are these?

which clowns are these?

Those gathered around the turd, Justin, Niall, Tracey and her fantasy soldier boyfriend today.

Those gathered around the turd, Justin, Niall, Tracey and her fantasy soldier boyfriend today.
    no idea who they are

no idea who they are

Ah well. I guess they’re not doing a great job on the promotional front then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lot of Antifa scum there starting to throw objects

"Hate is rising, we need more funding"

those in the grievance industry are disappointed just how little actual fascist activity exists in this country so they either invent a threat of hugely exaggerate it .

Ah well. I guess they’re not doing a great job on the promotional front then.

they dont have the funding of the nations unions , NGO,s and various professional leftists

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lot of Antifa scum there starting to throw objects

I see thejournal have decided to wash iver the facts completely and say that the free speech protest was infact a counter protest to the ‘march for peace’ . How low can they go really.

Why have people correlated a desire for freedom of speech and racism so much, is it possible to campaign for freedom of speech anymore without being branded a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I see thejournal have decided to wash iver the facts completely and say that the free speech protest was infact a counter protest to the ‘march for peace’ . How low can they go really.

Why have people correlated a desire for freedom of speech and racism so much, is it possible to campaign for freedom of speech anymore without being branded a racist
    A member of the counter-protest group said the rally for peace was trying to stop freedom of speech.

A dangerous way to go when reporting on issues like this. We have seen hat has happened in the US and UK when the left abuse the racism card to acuse every single person outside of their political views .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I hate most people so it is a good thing that I don't talk much anyway. They can't arrest me for my sinister thoughts, can they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement