Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It’s lower in the UK I believe, they aren’t tax resident in Ireland

HMRC are even less forgiving of tax evasion than our own lot.

And allowing your account to be used to facilitate tax evasion is mind-bogglingly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Here actually, I heard that on Revolut when buying crypto you don't actually buy the coins, Revolut just uses tokens that fluctuate with a real time exchange...

Anyone else heard of this? I've heard it from two different people now, who refused to buy crypto on Revolut because you don't actually OWN any of the "coins" you buy, only fluctuating tokens...

Interested to see if anyone else heard of this...
    I'm not sure if this is still true, but it definitely used to be - Depositing money into revolut wasn't actually money, you were/are buying revolut tokens that are worth the same amount. So if they went under, 'techinically' you bought revolut tokens that aren't worth anything anymore. They are so big now I doubt it is has much relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Suckit wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is still true, but it definitely used to be - Depositing money into revolut wasn't actually money, you were/are buying revolut tokens that are worth the same amount. So if they went under, 'techinically' you bought revolut tokens that aren't worth anything anymore. They are so big now I doubt it is has much relevance.

It's almost like that would be something that would need to be clearly flagged in terms and conditions that you'd read before you started using the crypto functions of their app, or, y'know, they'd be done for breach of trade descriptions legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Im wondering if anyone else has had this issue with Revolut.

I've made an online purchase paid by my Revolut virtual card . The merchant has requested the unique reference code that should appear along my transaction in my statement to verify my payment method but I cannot see a reference code anywhere ?

I have been onto support but they are requesting information from the merchant but may take a day or two due to time zone differences

Edit: Also just to add the transaction is showing pending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

dkd21 wrote: »
    Im wondering if anyone else has had this issue with Revolut.

I've made an online purchase paid by my Revolut virtual card . The merchant has requested the unique reference code that should appear along my transaction in my statement to verify my payment method but I cannot see a reference code anywhere ?

I have been onto support but they are requesting information from the merchant but may take a day or two due to time zone differences

Edit: Also just to add the transaction is showing pending

Never experienced it before, is the delivery address for the goods the same address as is used for the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Never experienced it before, is the delivery address for the goods the same address as is used for the card?

Its apparently standard procedure for the merchant to do payment verification on cards , the delivery address is not part of the issue I would presume as its not requested yet by the merchant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone else having top ups from BOI fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

igCorcaigh wrote:
    Anyone else having top ups from BOI fail?

It was fine yesterday. Haven't tried today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/1397577241777876994?s=19

Just noticed this on the app. Following gift cards available in Ireland :
    Twitch
    Nintendo
    Spotify
    Deliveroo
    Just Eat
    Kobo
    Xbox
    Nintendo Online
    Ticketmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Any idea why when I now top up from bank it says it takes 1-2 working days to process transaction? Before it was instantaneous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SourSessions

youngblood wrote:
    Any idea why when I now top up from bank it says it takes 1-2 working days to process transaction? Before it was instantaneous

You need to top up via debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Thanks a million, for some reason the default changed or reset, sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Got this notification from revolut

"looks like you haven't provided your TAX ID or tax residency. Tap to add your info".

Do I have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Treppen wrote: »

"looks like you haven't provided your TAX ID or tax residency. Tap to add your info".

Do I have to?

Got that too this morning.
    I presume its maybe to do with declaration for Stock and Crypto trading possibly.

taken from their website;

Revolut, as a financial institution, is required by law to collect and report information on your tax residencies. This is regulated by international standards, specifically CRS (Common Reporting Standard) and FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Do I have to?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Is it safe to add your pps no. to them. it is for the add tax residence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have and I've never gotten any spam calls/texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yes

... And what if I don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

... And what if I don't?

They will suspend or close your account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 TheFinanceGod

I'm about to put this to the test, wish me luck ^

• Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut

I'm about to put this to the test, wish me luck ^

I’m right behind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

The offices are in london with no branch in ireland, shouldnt have to provide your pps no. to them, the only customer service is in app then. Too much info for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Cartman78

If I understood the process correctly, the field for tax id was marked as optional.

The tax residency information seemed mandatory.

Fwiw, I didn't fill out the PPS number...don't recall ever having to do this for any of my other accounts over the years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Do I have to?

Had this one this morning, but when I looked at the box for PPS number, below it I saw the word "optional" so left it blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doesn't matter where they're based they are required to collect this info if investing in stocks and for AML.

Any other bank or trading company collects this info, by all means don't provide the info but be prepared to not get these services elsewhere either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The offices are in london with no branch in ireland, shouldnt have to provide your pps no. to them, the only customer service is in app then. Too much info for them.

They are a Lithuanian financial institution, passporting services in another EU member state, Ireland. They are required to obtain the PPSNs of their customers in Ireland. They are also required to record your tax residence, and whether or not you are a US citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

McGaggs wrote: »
    They are a Lithuanian financial institution, passporting services in another EU member state, Ireland. They are required to obtain the PPSNs of their customers in Ireland. They are also required to record your tax residence, and whether or not you are a US citizen.

To be fair, for “everyday” banking (ie not investments or crypto dealings) they aren’t required to obtain the PPSN

It’s marked as optional on their form too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

I received a message this morning from Revolut asking me to fill in my tax details. My first thought was that this is probably a scam, but it appears to be genuine.

Any idea why they would need this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

abff wrote: »
    I received a message this morning from Revolut asking me to fill in my tax details. My first thought was that this is probably a scam, but it appears to be genuine.

Any idea why they would need this?

They’re like a bank, they are required by law to collect and report information on your tax residencies.

Advertisement