Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officers 2019 in Revenue - Audit and Compliance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Plan for the end of the month. Anything before that is a bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Rikand wrote: »

My hope is fading that anything will come of this campaign :(. No inside info just a feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Anonire wrote: »
    My hope is fading that anything will come of this campaign :(. No inside info just a feeling

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Rikand wrote: »

Has anyone heard anything? Anything at all to give us some hope

Has anyone heard anything? Anything at all to give us some hope

everyone usually hears around the same time maybe within an hour or so of each other as it takes a while to send all the emails so i doubt anyone has heard.

Its hard not to get the hopes up sometimes. hopefully i'm wrong and they need loads of AOs for the winter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

Does anyone know how many have made it through to this round? If the numbers were low, is there a possibility that candidates would be given an OOM now without an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Anonire wrote: »
    everyone usually hears around the same time maybe within an hour or so of each other as it takes a while to send all the emails so i doubt anyone has heard.

Its hard not to get the hopes up sometimes. hopefully i'm wrong and they need loads of AOs for the winter :D

An AO is not just for Christmas...!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zulu Art

Ollie321 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many have made it through to this round? If the numbers were low, is there a possibility that candidates would be given an OOM now without an interview?

Anything is possible. It all depends on organisational needs. Staff are simply working from home and will be until Sept at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭3002

The amount of retirements in Revenue especially at HEO level is high & the amount of retirements planned for the next few years is higher again so I would expect a good number of positions at AO level coming up country wide & hopefully a start with this competition. There will be other competitions to fill some of these positions, internal/interdepartmental AO/HEO etc but hopefully this competition will move along soon & start filling open vacancies.
    I sent an email yesterday & was told the board are coming to the end of reviewing all video assessments & an email will issue in due course so no wiser than a few wks ago when a similar email was received by someone who posted the information they received on this thread.

3002 wrote: »
    The amount of redundancies in Revenue especially at HEO level is high & the amount of redundancies planned for the next few years is higher again

What do you mean by this?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by this?

They mean retirements. Lots of retirements. Definitely not redundancies!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭3002

Sorry for the confusion, meant retirements. There was a really large amount of hiring of staff into the civil service round 1979 so all these staff now have 40 years service. Revenue among other departments have had a recruitment boom in the last number of years & will continue due to staff retirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 2not4get

Best response!!!!!

Funny you should say this the closing date was Christmas.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

True. But to continue the puppy metaphor, they're treated with the same disposability mindset. An example is the now-parked Mobility Scheme 2a, which prevents AOs from taking up HEO roles. So, trapped financially and geographically, unless Dublin is your bag. Which it usually is initially, due to the basic reality of the AO posts offered.

Add to that the increasing policy aspect to HEO competitions, the extreme prejudice shown (in stats) to AOs in the 2018 Open AP competition and it's not very encouraging. Yes, Departments will now attempt to replace retiring HEOs with incoming yellowpack HEOs. As a way in, it's great for all here. Particularly in the incoming economic cycle. But the union needs to stay on top of DPER shennanigans. It's unfair to incoming AOs, existing EOs and COs and also current HEOs. Just not cricket lads.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    True. But to continue the puppy metaphor, they're treated with the same disposability mindset. An example is the now-parked Mobility Scheme 2a, which prevents AOs from taking up HEO roles. So, trapped financially and geographically, unless Dublin is your bag. Which it usually is initially, due to the basic reality of the AO posts offered.

Add to that the increasing policy aspect to HEO competitions, the extreme prejudice shown (in stats) to AOs in the 2018 Open AP competition and it's not very encouraging. Yes, Departments will now attempt to replace retiring HEOs with incoming yellowpack HEOs. As a way in, it's great for all here. Particularly in the incoming economic cycle. But the union needs to stay on top of DPER shennanigans. It's unfair to incoming AOs, existing EOs and COs and also current HEOs. Just not cricket lads.

Not challenging the validity of your points there, but just wondering when you talk about the 2018 Open AP is that the Revenue one or service-wide one?

If Revenue specifically, I can see why you might find a disproportionately high amount of positions going to AO's.

If that's the grade that most of the new, professionally qualified (in terms of tax / accountancy) talent has been recruited into, and if you accept that the recruitment process definitely values people with commercial / private sector experience, then it logically follows.

You'd need to know the numbers and relative qualifications and experience of the applicants in the AP competition, before you could reasonably pass much comment on prejudice in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Happy4

I just got the email to say I won't be progressing further.. good luck to the rest of you

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Happy4 wrote: »
    I just got the email to say I won't be progressing further.. good luck to the rest of you

Hard luck Happy4, better luck next time. It's all very marginal, ask for feedback as it's a great way to identify areas where you need to work on your competences. It vèry disappointing and dis heartening but chin up, you will get it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Maryirish1

got invite to next stage of competition - i suppose the dreaded interview
    sorry Happy4 - you might be the lucky one - at least you don't have to wait around for another few months for any results

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

Maryirish1 wrote: »
    got invite to next stage of competition - i suppose the dreaded interview
    sorry Happy4 - you might be the lucky one - at least you don't have to wait around for another few months for any results

What kind of interview is it video or in person, and have you already received dates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 BoyLaw937

What kind of interview is it video or in person, and have you already received dates?

No info yet, email to be sent in due course.

BoyLaw937 wrote: »
    No info yet, email to be sent in due course.

The wait continues. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.
    Sorry to those not progressing, it's always a bit disappointing but do request the feedback and it will give you the areas where your answers need a bit more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Got through as well

Does anyone know how many positions were offered last year from the various panels?

Does anyone know how many positions were offered last year from the various panels?

It's on page 51 of the recently released Annual Report for 2019, which I would very strongly recommend people read, or at least skim and take away the key themes of, in advance of interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

2not4get wrote: »
    Completely messed up the first question and submitted it thinking I was redoing it..DOH..feel like an eegit!
    But submitted the rest so they could have a laugh!!!

Hi 2not4get, how did you get on, i hope you made it to the next stage...

Hi 2not4get, how did you get on, i hope you made it to the next stage...

Hi monkeylover, by some miracle I did make it to the next stage, although i still cringe at what the board saw for the first question!!!

I hope you made it too ??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

Hi monkeylover, by some miracle I did make it to the next stage, although i still cringe at what the board saw for the first question!!!

I hope you made it too ??

Well done to you 👠👠you obviously put them in good humour 🀭
    And yes, I made it too, delighted to be honest. And there we were, thinking we'd blown it!!
    Final stage now to look forward to, whenever that will be and more than likely a Skype interview or something similar with the way things are at the moment. I suppose it'll be all about our competencies, based on our application form we submitted previously.
    And I think it'll not be too bad, as its easier to converse with people rather than talking to yourself...well thats what I'm hoping anyway!!
    Best of luck to you.

Well done to you 👠👠you obviously put them in good humour ��
    And yes, I made it too, delighted to be honest. And there we were, thinking we'd blown it!!
    Final stage now to look forward to, whenever that will be and more than likely a Skype interview or something similar with the way things are at the moment. I suppose it'll be all about our competencies, based on our application form we submitted previously.
    And I think it'll not be too bad, as its easier to converse with people rather than talking to yourself...well thats what I'm hoping anyway!!
    Best of luck to you.

Ha! Maybe or maybe they just want to meet the person who has a good tantrum with herself in a recorded interview and then submits it :D

Delighted you are in next stage too. Presume it will be a competency based interview also, although it would be kind of the same as the recorded interview, will be tough to come up with more new scenarios/examples.

Let's enjoy this stage before the anxiety when we find out what is ahead of us!

Best of luck to you too.

• Advertisement

Ha! Maybe or maybe they just want to meet the person who has a good tantrum with herself in a recorded interview and then submits it :D

Delighted you are in next stage too. Presume it will be a competency based interview also, although it would be kind of the same as the recorded interview, will be tough to come up with more new scenarios/examples.

Let's enjoy this stage before the anxiety when we find out what is ahead of us!

Best of luck to you too.

I imagine it's different people reviewing the video and doing the actual interview, so they may have no idea about your tantrum or that you used those examples previously.
    It is a good idea to have a back up example for each competency as sometimes interviews will ask for another example.
    They will however question you on the form in further detail so it's good to know those examples inside out.

Congrats on making it to the next stage.

I can't wait to see what they have in store for us and also to finally get to the end of this competition. And hopefully make the panel.

Advertisement