Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have a confession to make.

I worked on building sites for many years.

Can ya'll forgive me ?

Well just as well you didn’t run into OP. I’d say he’s a tough boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I actually feel quite sorry for you by now. You fill your time moaning from your phone/computer about how homeless organisations handle the crisis, and berating the workers in that industry.

You have no experience, and no knowledge, but are full of venom and convinced you could solve the crisis, yet continue to bait and complain on here instead of volunteering or in any way helping a homeless individual.

What is missing in your life, that the above has come to be?

Its not a crisis though. Plenty of housing stock in the country to accomodate everybody

Changes in the law would bring a lot of extra property on stream quickly, as long as people are willing to relocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

easypazz wrote: »
    Its not a crisis though. Plenty of housing stock in the country to accomodate everybody

Changes in the law would bring a lot of extra property on stream quickly, as long as people are willing to relocate.

What law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

What law ?

He's probably referring to the housing policy that people in need of housing can only be on one council's housing list and are expected/required to apply in the area they live in. Someone from Fingal can't go to Roscommon and go on the list there, unless the RCC waives this requirement applicants will be told to go back to Dublin and apply for housing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In fairness there might be plenty of homeless people who would take a house down the country if they had the choice.
    This could also help keep rural schools from closing if families were to move out of the city. Win / win for everyone.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    He's probably referring to the housing policy that people in need of housing can only be on one council's housing list and are expected/required to apply in the area they live in. Someone from Fingal can't go to Roscommon and go on the list there, unless the RCC waives this requirement applicants will be told to go back to Dublin and apply for housing there.

It would be a policy to look at , particularly with the four Dublin local authorities.

In fairness there might be plenty of homeless people who would take a house down the country if they had the choice.
    This could also help keep rural schools from closing if families were to move out of the city. Win / win for everyone.

It would actually be a good idea , I think there is or was an attempt at relocating people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The rural resettlement scheme was abandoned in 2012 and never reintroduced. It helped 800 families. The program in the past didn't force anyone but offered it to families that voluntarily want to leave the city.
    There were talks of reintroducing it with grants for communities that would take resettler in. It has been very quiet in the last year, so don't expect to hear anything anytime soon.

LirW wrote: »

In addition that that there is a lot of property left empty because dealing with tenants is too much trouble for some.

Changes to the law would immediately bring empty property on stream, reduce rents, reduce people being kicked out of property and made homeless etc.

I see some homeless group is upset that Dublin CC removed coats that were left on Halfpenny Bridge for the homeless to use. What smart person thought it a good idea to hang coats outside? In Ireland. In December. With a storm coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I see some homeless group is upset that Dublin CC removed coats that were left on Halfpenny Bridge for the homeless to use. What smart person thought it a good idea to hang coats outside? In Ireland. In December. With a storm coming.

Whatever about 'smart', it is a genuine and particle attempt to help someone who may need it. What have you done except sneer and defend everything FG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Whatever about 'smart', it is a genuine and particle attempt to help someone who may need it. What have you done except sneer and defend everything FG?

In fairness if their was one CEO co ordinating all this. Mad rogue ideas wouldn’t be happening.

Who’s sneering? Or mentioning FG?

Leaving clothing at the mercy of the elements was a tad silly, don’t you think? What good are wet, cold clothes to wet, cold people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Idiots.

Who’s sneering? Or mentioning FG?

Leaving clothing at the mercy of the elements was a tad silly, don’t you think? What good are wet, cold clothes to wet, cold people?

Aren't coats designed for the elements? Zipped/buttoned up they serve their function. The council removed them stating they were a h&s issue. They also removed tents and other items belonging to the homeless in various caress around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Aren't coats designed for the elements? Zipped/buttoned up they serve their function. The council removed them stating they were a h&s issue. They also removed tents and other items belonging to the homeless in various caress around Dublin.

Fair play to the council.

Brother Kevin not holding back,
    'Despair when I see how the Government is behaving': Brother Kevin slams Government housing policy https://jrnl.ie/4923099

They are and if a resident presents back to the hostels I work in , we launder and dry their clothes if need be.

BDI wrote: »
    In fairness if their was one CEO co ordinating all this. Mad rogue ideas wouldn’t be happening.

If anything, you're consistently stupid with your obsession with CEOs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I rarely give to charity anymore given the poor use of funds.

The duplication is significant I.e. several ceos, etc all doing the one job

Competition with the sector - so many housing agencies now bidding on the same properties driving costs up by out bidding each other

There must be at least 10 charity shops on the stretch from Camden Street to Rathmines, between the rent electricity, insurance etc on all 10 is a sinful waste of money. If the charity sector really wanted to achieve best value for donations, they would combine them and agree a way of splitting the resources.

My taxes already contribute to charity. I have to earn money to purchase my "foreva home", cover all my own costs etc. The real workers are the disadvantaged in society anymore, living within our means, only having children we can afford etc.

• Advertisement

Seriously. No coat left exposed on a bridge during a storm will be wearable a day later, thats if it hasnt blown into the liffey.

And it will start with coats, then sleeping bags, and bags of clothes. The bridge will become a fly tipping site.

Stupid idea.

Seriously. No coat left exposed on a bridge during a storm will be wearable a day later, thats if it hasnt blown into the liffey.

And it will start with coats, then sleeping bags, and bags of clothes. The bridge will become a fly tipping site.

Stupid idea.
    The same stupid idea is done in many cities throughout Europe.

Would you just stop and think about what you’re writing. The coats weren’t even in protective coverings. Imagine you’re caught out in a cold wintry shower of rain. Would you put one of these wet, cold garments on you? So, YES it WAS a health and safety issue. That of the intended wearers.

Don’t let your dislike of a posters views cloud your judgement.

The same stupid idea is done in many cities throughout Europe.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Such as?

such as the cities where it is done.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Examples, please.

Such as?

Canada ,colder US states, across Europe.

No source, so we will have to it as bullsh1t.

Such as?

Back from Prague last week, seen several left around trees and lampposts each with a note but I don't speak Czech. A quick Google search will throw up other examples.

• Advertisement

No source, so we will have to it as bullsh1t.

Can't or won't use Google?

Advertisement