Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

easypazz wrote: »
    You gave me a link to a coordinated effort by a charity on 2 specific dates.

You mention prague but cant say if its an organised effort or not.

It's you that seems fixated on whether it's organised or random. I never mentioned in any comment whether it was random or organised. My point was the hanging of coats out in public happens in other cities. I went and posted links of two examples for you. Anyway made my point I'm done. You carry on whinging if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This is what they don’t seem to be getting. A good idea badly executed.

Even you, with your blinkered outlook have to be able to see that it was a very adhoc idea by a group out people with the best if intentions, granted it didn't work out perfectly but ya know , that's life

"To err is human......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It's you that seems fixated on whether it's organised or random. I never mentioned in any comment whether it was random or organised. My point was the hanging of coats out in public happens in other cities. I went and posted links of two examples for you. Anyway made my point I'm done. You carry on whinging if you wish.

Off you go then. Its still a stupid idea the way it was implemented here.

Your examples merely showed how other countries do it properly.

Even you, with your blinkered outlook have to be able to see that it was a very adhoc idea by a group out people with the best if intentions, granted it didn't work out perfectly but ya know , that's life

"To err is human......

We are in agreement there. No blinkers here. Just concerned about the waste of seemingly good clothes.

"To err is human......

So you accept it was a stupid idea, albeit well intentioned.

The concept if fine, the execution was the problem. Thats all we are saying.

Dublin council were right to remove the coats, and give them to charity to use in a coordinated manner, but got slated for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play it must be difficult though to find a negative in everything.
    Not going anywhere just done with discussing the coats. Feel free to carry on whinging though about the good intentions of others. ;-)

I wonder , in the examples of the other countries did it work out perfect first time.
    Did they think of wrapping the coats in plastic, were they clean and dry ,was the weather good at the time ?
    Did they have a bit of trial and error first couple of times ?
    Obviously round these parts theres no margin for error.

I wonder , in the examples of the other countries did it work out perfect first time.
    Did they think of wrapping the coats in plastic, were they clean and dry ,was the weather good at the time ?

From Plumthedepths earlier post “ Warm clothing like jumpers and scarves are put on hangers, covered in a waterproof cover and often tagged with a note explaining that they’re for people in need. “I’m not lost, I’m for you if you’re cold”, is one of the typical messages left on the labels.”

Fair play it must be difficult though to find a negative in everything.
    Not going anywhere just done with discussing the coats. Feel free to carry on whinging though about the good intentions of others. ;-)

I see no negative in recycling and donating goods to charity etc.

But a stupid idea will always be a stupid idea, no matter how well intentioned you are.

In Limerick they hung the coats on a rail under shelter.

Its blindingly obvious that hanging them on a bridge in a storm was stupid.

• Advertisement

In Limerick they hung the coats on a rail under shelter.

Its blindingly obvious that hanging them on a bridge in a storm was stupid.

So you keep saying.

So you keep saying.

Yet you still think it’s ok to just hang them outdoors in inclement weather.

From Plumthedepths earlier post “ Warm clothing like jumpers and scarves are put on hangers, covered in a waterproof cover and often tagged with a note explaining that they’re for people in need. “I’m not lost, I’m for you if you’re cold”, is one of the typical messages left on the labels.”

Brilliant, again first time done in Dublin and it didn't work out perfect.
    Always room for improvement.

Yet you still think it’s ok to just hang them outdoors in inclement weather.

Once again, theres high footfall of homeless in that area between MQI and various hostels, it wouldnt be a great leap of imagination for a homeless individual to get a coat back to their hostel or even a drop in centre to get any coat cleaned and dried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

That’s grand and fine IF the coat is clean and dry. This is Ireland after all. Again I ask what use are cold wet clothes to cold wet people.
    It IS a good idea, but a bit of common sense is needed. At least put them in a waterproof cover.

You want to put homeless people in waterproof covers until you are good and ready to deal with them?

:)

BDI wrote: »
    You want to put homeless people in waterproof covers until you are good and ready to deal with them?

:)

Now, there’s a novel idea!

Once again, theres high footfall of homeless in that area between MQI and various hostels, it wouldnt be a great leap of imagination for a homeless individual to get a coat back to their hostel or even a drop in centre to get any coat cleaned and dried.

Bit stupid though. Putting extra strain on the overworked staff having to clean and dry additional clothes when it could be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think a certain amount of homeless or streetsleepers will always be with us for whatever reason no matter what we or the government do. In this day and age there should be no reason for anyone to sleep in a doorway or outside. Just thinking would it be an idea to have these pods like they have in Japan which are lockable and clean with facility to charge a phone and sleep in peace in safety. There would be around 20 pods in a bank with shared shower facilities. In Japan workers and suchlike use them to catch a night or a few hours sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not.
    it's grand hence it's being done in other countries.
    OYour examples merely showed how other countries do it properly.

no his examples show that it is being done in other countries.

I see no negative in recycling and donating goods to charity etc.

But a stupid idea will always be a stupid idea, no matter how well intentioned you are.

it won't be if it's not, which it isn't, apart from in you and a couple of other's opinion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's not.
    it's grand hence it's being done in other countries.

no his examples show that it is being done in other countries.

it won't be if it's not, which it isn't, apart from in you and a couple of other's opinion.

No other country randomly hangs clothes on a bridge exposed to the elements because they know its stupid.

• Advertisement

Bit stupid though. Putting extra strain on the overworked staff having to clean and dry additional clothes when it could be avoided.

You're flapping now , drop in centres and hostels provide laundry services for anyone accessing their services.

No other country randomly hangs clothes on a bridge exposed to the elements because they know its stupid.

Hardly stupid , we all make mistakes, it doesn't mean we're stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy mother of the divine 😱

How long were you typing for to produce that drivel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If it wasn't for people like Peter McVerry unemployable former addicts wouldn't be living 25 minutes from Grafton St on low rents while saps with jobs stand on trains for over an hours daily to get to work.

Imagine writing that wall of text only for no one to read it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭apache

Something about the man I don't like. I've met him a few times.

Very fond of the prisoner and showers them with gifts. I'm not a fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Those organisations provide hot food to people living on the streets and also advice to homeless people Re how to get accommodation

They have to be trained and paid they drive around the city at night it's not an easy job it's getting very hard for single people to find accommodation we have a housing crisis some people do not use hostels they live on the streets in tents Theres also people who volunteer for free at soup kitchens mcverry provides services to help people find accomodation

Do you expect people to work for nothing in 2021?

It's not like working in an office they work weekends Bank Holidays etc every day

Advertisement