Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter McVerry Trust staff and wages

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Canada ,colder US states, across Europe.

Where?

And we do it here too.

Somebody set one up in limerick, with a proper clothes rail and under a canopy, where it is sheltered.

But hanging them on a bridge exposed to the elements is dumb.

Anyway, I look forward to examples of where else people do this.

Can't or won't use Google?

I am not the one making the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Please, explain the sense of leaving clothing exposed to the elements? A prime example of how NOT to do good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

easypazz wrote: »
    Seriously. No coat left exposed on a bridge during a storm will be wearable a day later, thats if it hasnt blown into the liffey.

And it will start with coats, then sleeping bags, and bags of clothes. The bridge will become a fly tipping site.

Stupid idea.

Surely if one homeless person takes a coat of the bridge the idea is positive one , you could be keeping a rough sleeper dry for the night.

Sleeping bags are already given out by local authorities and some of the mainstream charities .

• Advertisement

Please, explain the sense of leaving clothing exposed to the elements? A prime example of how NOT to do good.

Nearly all ONO hostels and all STAs have laundry, it's no great leap of faith for a homeless person to get the jacket cleaned and dried.

I was out earlier, my coat was exposed to the elements, strangely it preformed its design function.

Totally different scenario. People gave the coats to a charity, who presumably decided which were suitable or not.

Then the charity left suitable items on lampposts on 2 specific dates and collected unused afterwards.

What was happening in Dublin was people leaving coats exposed to the elements which would quickly make them unwearable.

Surely if one homeless person takes a coat of the bridge the idea is positive one , you could be keeping a rough sleeper dry for the night.

Sleeping bags are already given out by local authorities and some of the mainstream charities .

That’s grand and fine IF the coat is clean and dry. This is Ireland after all. Again I ask what use are cold wet clothes to cold wet people.
    It IS a good idea, but a bit of common sense is needed. At least put them in a waterproof cover.

I was out earlier, my coat was exposed to the elements, strangely it preformed its design function.

If it was left hanging on a bridge in the liffey would it be fine?

I have loads of coats that would be soaked through in 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

Bully for you. Did you see the coats in the photos? Not many looked waterproof!

Totally different scenario. People gave the coats to a charity, who presumably decided which were suitable or not.

Then the charity left suitable items on lampposts on 2 specific dates and collected unused afterwards.

What was happening in Dublin was people leaving coats exposed to the elements which would quickly make them unwearable.

No difference other than who left the items out. As I said it happens in lots of cities, it just started to happen here .

By all means let people donate coats to charities who can hand them out.

But uncoordinated hanging any type of coat on a bridge indefinitely is dumb

Bully for you. Did you see the coats in the photos? Not many looked waterproof!

I did, a range of choice . What's wrong that you have an issue with people trying to help the less fortunate?

No difference other than who left the items out. As I said it happens in lots of cities, it just started to happen here .

And unused items get collected the following day.

You keep telling us this happens in lots of cities but cant give examples.

I doubt anywhere would allow an uncoordinated practice like this continue.

And unused items get collected the following day.

You keep telling us this happens in lots of cities but cant give examples.

I doubt anywhere would allow an uncoordinated practice like this continue.

I gave you a link, and my personal experience in Prague. Never occurred to me to take a photo and location stamp it to prove to some randomer on boards.
    https://observers.france24.com/en/20180316-france-clothes-hung-street-homeless

I did, a range of choice . What's wrong that you have an issue with people trying to help the less fortunate?

Nobody has an issue with donating coats to the homeless.

Its the concept of randomly hanging every type of coat on a bridge indefinitely that is stupid.

I gave you a link, and my personal experience in Prague. Never occurred to me to take a photo and location stamp it to prove to some randomer on boards.

Note the plastic bags.

Its the concept of randomly hanging every type of coat on a bridge indefinitely that is stupid.

Your opinion.

You gave me a link to a coordinated effort by a charity on 2 specific dates.

You mention prague but cant say if its an organised effort or not.

• Advertisement

Your opinion.

Fact. A random piece of clothing left on a bridge indefinitely in the irish winter will be good for nobody.

All dublin council did was gather them in and give them to the charities to distribute in an organised manner.

They want the public to give them to charities directly rather than hanging them on a bridge to get destroyed in the weather.

God forbid if anybody should even try and do some good around you.

Note the plastic bags.

Also coordinated by a charity.

God forbid if anybody should even try and do some good around you.

I would applaud anybody doing good. But doing something stupid is always going to stupid no matter how well intentioned you are.

Like I said the one in Limerick is under shelter and on a clothes rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If it was left hanging on a bridge in the liffey would it be fine?

I have loads of coats that would be soaked through in 30 minutes.

they obviously aren't that great then.
    you will need to buy new and better ones.

You gave me a link to a coordinated effort by a charity on 2 specific dates.

You mention prague but cant say if its an organised effort or not.

that is because ultimately it doesn't matter whether it is or not, it is still a valid example of the practice happening elsewhere.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I would applaud anybody doing good. But doing something stupid is always going to stupid no matter how well intentioned you are.

Like I said the one in Limerick is under shelter and on a clothes rail.

A round of applause?

Do you mean to "laud" someone, bearing in mind none of us are perfect.

A round of applause?

Do you mean to "laud" someone, bearing in mind none of us are perfect.

Do you think its a great idea for all sort of coats to be left hanging on a bridge indefinitely during the irish winter?

Would it be a better idea to hang them under a railway bridge instead?

they obviously aren't that great then.
    you will need to buy new and better ones.

that is because ultimately it doesn't matter whether it is or not, it is still a valid example of the practice happening elsewhere.

Do you think its a great idea to hang random jackets on a bridge in a storm?

No matter what I say , you'll return with a negative response.

The idea for me is a good idea because theres huge traffic of homeless in the area between various hostels and drop in centres.
    I'd like to think any coats left there would only be there for a short period of time before someone gets use of them.

• Advertisement

This is what they don’t seem to be getting. A good idea badly executed.

Advertisement