Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

original-1592580374.jpg?t=eyJ3aWR0aCI6ODQ4LCJvYmpfaWQiOjc0NjE4NDV9--b89d7409cf89e57b3d1c1cebd002a680848337c8

A million X-ray sources revealing the nature of the hot universe The satellite is 1.5 million kilometres away

More pictures.
    http://www.mpe.mpg.de/7461950/erass1-presskit?c=450698
    The energetic universe as seen with the eROSITA X-ray telescope. The first eROSITA all-sky survey was conducted over a period of six months by letting the telescope rotate continuously, thus providing a uniform exposure of about 150-200 seconds over most of the sky, with the ecliptic poles being visited more deeply. As eROSITA scans the sky, the energy of the collected photons is measured with an accuracy ranging from 2% - 6%. To generate this image, in which the whole sky is projected onto an ellipse (so-called Aitoff projection) with the centre of the Milky Way in the middle and the body of the Galaxy running horizontally, photons have been colour-coded according to their energy (red for energies 0.3-0.6 keV, green for 0.6-1 keV, blue for 1-2.3 keV). The original image, with a resolution of about 10”, and a corresponding dynamic range of more than one billion, is then smoothed (with a 10’ FWHM Gaussian) in order to generate the above picture.The red diffuse glow away from the galactic plane is the emission of the hot gas in the vicinity of the solar system (the Local Bubble). Along the plane itself, dust and gas absorb the lowest energy X-ray photons, so that only high-energy emitting sources can be seen, and their colour appears blue in the image. The hotter gas close to the galactic centre, shown in green and yellow, carries imprinted the history of the most energetic processes in the life of the Milky Way, such as supernova explosions, driving fountains of gas out of the plane, and, possibly, past outburst from the now dormant supermassive black hole in the centre of the galaxy. Piercing through this turbulent, hot diffuse medium, are hundreds of thousands of X-ray sources, which appear mostly white in the image, and uniformly distributed over the sky. Among them, distant active galactic nuclei (including a few emitting at a time when the Universe was less than one tenth of its current age) are visible as point sources, while clusters of galaxies reveal themselves as extended X-ray nebulosities. In total, about one million X-ray sources have been detected in the eROSITA all-sky image, a treasure trove that will keep the teams busy for the coming years.

Credit: Jeremy Sanders, Hermann Brunner and the eSASS team (MPE); Eugene Churazov, Marat Gilfanov (on behalf of IKI)

original-1592574513.jpg?t=eyJ3aWR0aCI6ODQ4LCJvYmpfaWQiOjc0NjQzMzR9--3459035d1543d8dffcf9a92ade39d08d85c7fcbf

Approximate break-down of sources:

77% Active Galactic Nuclei
    20% stars with strong, magnetically active hot coronae
    2 % clusters of galaxies
    others: bright X-ray binaries, supernova remnants, extended star forming regions, transient (e.g. Gamma-Ray Bursts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1998_8caa_566.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hmm. Rivers in Germany?

No. Can't be.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Hmm. Rivers in Germany?

No. Can't be.
    Routes to Berlin by road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

josip wrote: »
    Which reminds me of this map

fnHxd6D.png
    The map is missing the “Mad Max” area of Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A million X-ray sources revealing the nature of the hot universe The satellite is 1.5 million kilometres away

It would have been nice if they made a version of the data set that hadn't been mangled onto a 2D surface that was accessible to those with VR headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They did include it; it's the yellow bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

cj maxx wrote: »
    I remember as a young fella on the mountain bog you'd see ,and feel, dust devils.
    Mini tornadoes. They'd knock you over but that's about it.

I was on a demolition site 2 weeks ago on a hot breezy day, i spotted 2 small ones side by side. Strange sight!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cnocbui wrote: »
    It would have been nice if they made a version of the data set that hadn't been mangled onto a 2D surface that was accessible to those with VR headsets.

Didn't you hear? The universe is flat. If it weren't, we'd have all fallen off it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Cock nBull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

New Home wrote: »
    Didn't you hear? The universe is flat. If it weren't, we'd have all fallen off it by now.

Social distancing will make sure a good few of them fall off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Places located in a direct line from the centre of Ireland.

Most seem plausible, but a bit puzzled as to why Cuba takes up so much space where I would have expected the USA to be.

11417_26779088_aaae49ff-e268-40c8-bd64-b3fd960b9eb3.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Places located in a direct line from the centre of Ireland.

Most seem plausible, but a bit puzzled as to why Cuba takes up so much space where I would have expected the USA to be.

11417_26779088_aaae49ff-e268-40c8-bd64-b3fd960b9eb3.jpeg

Makes sense now why all the moroccan hash gets taxed in cork!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I call bullsh*t, there's no way that Cuba or Antarctica are closer than Morocco or Western Sahara, for instance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Do you mean closer? That's not what the map is showing.

If you stand in Athlone and look around at every angle of a full circle, the map is showing the first landfall at every point. So at a certain angle, there is no closer point than Antarctica. At another (wider) angle, it's Wales

Look at (appropriately enough) a map and you'll see America slopes away from Ireland while Cuba slopes towards it.

I could believe that Cuba would take up a decent angle of the "view" from Ireland. I don't know if the map is correct saying that it takes 4/5 times the radius, but it's not as illogical as it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah I think it can't be right, cuba does take up more than I thought but not that much, I know it would be effected by what map projection and you would have to draw on globe to get right but don't think it be that much.

In fact I think given googlemap uses Mercator or something very similar it should be right as it maintains angles but not enough of expert to say that for sure.

517222.PNG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Google Maps doesn't reflect the proper shape of the globe. To fly from Ireland to west Canada, for example, you fly over Greenland, because that's the shortest route. But on Google Maps, that turns into a curved line which looks way longer, but isn't. We know this because airlines hate spending money on fuel. Or here's the same thing going from west Canada to Poland -

MmpI8.png
    v7RdT.png

I think the fact that the US slopes inwards is important here, because the lines tend to slope downwards too. So the arc from Ireland to the US would almost run parallel to the US coast - and again, you can see this on the globe above. also, Newfoundland blocks off a good chunk of the view, and it looks like only the south of Florida and the Keys are in direct "line of sight" from Ireland. And you can see that the part of Russia which is in a direct line to Ireland is actually Wrangel Island and Chukotka on the very far east.

But then the arc from Ireland to Cuba is quite wide as Cuba slopes inwards.

Edit - here's a globe centred on Ireland.

600px-Ireland_on_the_globe_%28Europe_centered%29.svg.png
    You can draw straight lines on that - and again, although America is almost over the horizon, you can see how very little of it is in direct view. Then you can just about make out the long inwards line of Cuba.

I think the chart is accurate actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

World map of cities with urban rail systems.
    https://twitter.com/daveloach2/status/1273434997500907520?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

d47eefcf03e1e66c471dd4f633033045.png

this is very cool, thanks ..

From https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53119686

_113005079_dmmphcaclmebpnjc.jpg

The Mariana Trench in the Pacific is the deepest ocean location on Earth - but very well mapped

_113000303_gebco2020-unmapped.jpg

One-fifth of Earth's ocean floor is now mapped at a resolution of 100m
    The worlds largest ships would barely cover 4 pixels.

Over 99% of Mars is mapped to a resolution of 6m.

Project link https://seabed2030.gebco.net/ the Japanese want to map the oceans in the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Population density of cattle in the world, 2018

11417_15294179_4c965d0c-530a-4828-bbd6-aae85361dc36.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmmm, much of Antarctica (and possibly northern Greenland) seems to be deemed suitable.

The second oldest known map of the moon dates from 1505 by Leonardo da Vinci.

_325290_moon300.jpg
    A map of the moon with the rock carvings superimposed on it

The oldest at about 5,300 years is from the passage tomb at Knowth

studyisfirst.png

https://phys.org/news/2015-11-earth-hidden-groundwater.html
    The bigger part of the study is the "modern" groundwater story. The report shows that less than six per cent of groundwater in the upper two kilometres of the Earth's landmass is renewable within a human lifetime.

But what would the moo-cows drink up north :eek:

Milk. Duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Map showing all the river catchments in Ireland.

The Shannon catchment is in red (roughly in the Centre), that of the rivers Barrow, Nore and Suir are in pink, the Erne is in yellow and the Liffey and Boyle are in slightly different shades of pale green.

11417_03613716_e906feab-0d80-418b-80c3-295600a13e62.jpeg

Totally late to this thread bit... I’d like to buy that map.. where’d you come by it? I cant see it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gogo wrote: »
    Totally late to this thread bit... I’d like to buy that map.. where’d you come by it? I cant see it online?

It was from this guy here:

https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/GrasshopperGeography?search_query=ireland

Just be careful, you’re only buying a digital version so you have to print it yourself. I didn’t read it properly and got stung myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

on that river basin map, geographically, how do we explain those tiny short rivers along the coast on that map, are they accurate? they arent tributaries of another river as far as the map indicates. or is it that the image shows all rivers of a particular size and so these have appeared on their own but actually have smaller connections that down show up because of their size? sorry, probably thinking too deep about this but it has me wondering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

If I had to make a somewhat educated guess, I'd assume that whatever dataset he is using (or if he made it himself) includes every brook, stream, river, canal, and flow-off going.

Ordnance Survey Ireland make some data available openly. I've grabbed the the waterways dataset which has this note: "For each watercourse with a drainage basin ≥ 500 km2 the main drain class should be indicated." And just turned the labels on. So say for example the Tay and the Dalligan down in the bottom left, between Dungarvan and Waterford.

https://i.imgur.com/9DqFJzw.png

The Environment Protection Agency also provide GIS data openly including one called Geometric River Network, which seems more along the lines of what the map maker has used.Which will let you do something like this

https://i.imgur.com/DK5ZMuv.png

Comparing the dataset provided, to an actual paper ordnance survey map. Using Howth as an example, just because it is easy to identify. There are 5 nodes on the GIS data, on the map it has the Bloody Stream (runs under the golf course), it has one flowing out into Whitewater Brook, it has Ballsaggart Stream (not named but identifiable). It also has the waterway going through Howth into the harbour itself. Not named.

Could also be a load of hogwash and someone will come along to disprove and rip me apart shortly :D

Advertisement