Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're all claims that are generally not accepted to be valid by anyone except the countries themselves - notice that some are overlapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I was always under the impression that there was an international agreement that no one could lay claim to Antarctica.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

dan1895 wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that there was an international agreement that no one could lay claim to Antarctica.

Think thats the moon! :pac: although there is an antarctic treaty which says no one can lay claim but it isnt recognised by all countries (neither is the moon treaty for that matter) but at the same time seven countries have laid claim to land.

It think the whole thing is fairly confusing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dan1895 wrote: »

Chile and Argentina's claim to Antarctica dates from thee Inter caetera bull of 4 may 1493 and the Treaty of Tordesillas of 7 June 1494

S%C3%BCdamerika1650.png

Norway only fully annexed Queen Maud Land in 2015 which includes New Swabia, the German territory with all those Nazi flying saucers or something.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=2b1fd17f462047c087e9ce27152b2379

Marie Byrd Land is still unclaimed so don't tell Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭KevRossi

^^^ The flag of the President of Finland still has a swastika on it. (Look at the yellow in the cross in the top left.

Finns don't give a fcuk what others think of them. :)

Flag_of_the_President_of_Finland.svg

But they are very trusting of each other, as this map shows;

36587337-1171887479618504-4250396577828438016-o-1030x894.png

Overall, they're great people and have life well sorted out IMO.

• Advertisement

The Finns are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Finns don't give a fcuk what others think of them.

The opposite of us then. Irish people seem to be obsessed with being liked, or perceived as 'sound' elsewhere in the world.

Those 'sound Irish soccer fans' viral videos at world cup time would sicken the butt end of your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Chile and Argentina's claim to Antarctica dates from thee Inter caetera bull of 4 may 1493 and the Treaty of Tordesillas of 7 June 1494

S%C3%BCdamerika1650.png

Norway only fully annexed Queen Maud Land in 2015 which includes New Swabia, the German territory with all those Nazi flying saucers or something.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=2b1fd17f462047c087e9ce27152b2379

Marie Byrd Land is still unclaimed so don't tell Trump.

The Tordesilhas Treaty line was a bit further than that going from Laguna to Belém. After the Inter Caetera Bartolomeu Dias was sent to navigate to South America to discover that there was no land 600 km west from Cabo Verde. Then guess who was on the Cabral second India armada? Bartolomeu Dias, that disappeared from 1488 after going beyond the Namibia desert and the Cape of Good Hope. The Portuguese were already navigating in silence around the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

684c6a956a8f4959884f768ee133fc73.jpg

Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hmm...
    Considering the cost of alcohol here compared to most countries, this is hardly surprising.

• Advertisement

521ea27f4d2f4eaf99000043c8bac31b.jpg

80679f12a6eb4d3ebf279c64676a13fb.jpeg

Most photographed places.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mzungu wrote: »
    McDonald’s across the world.

map-of-countries-with-mcdonalds.jpg?w=800&h=600

Iceland simultaneously has the third most expensive Big Mac but also no McDonald's restaurants. That's quite a feat.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Iceland simultaneously has the third most expensive Big Mac but also no McDonald's restaurants. That's quite a feat.
    Amazon will deliver anything nowadays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

521ea27f4d2f4eaf99000043c8bac31b.jpg

Tipping in Japan is a minefield. Well, it is on the first day. I had a server run out on to the street with our change after we walked out forgetting about the no tipping culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Iceland had McDonalds but they pulled out / dropped the franchise due to costs.

Am I right in saying that according to that map there is no McDonalds in Romania? I'm fairly sure I had one when I was in Bucharest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

1huge1 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that according to that map there is no McDonalds in Romania? I'm fairly sure I had one when I was in Bucharest

The veracity of the McDonalds map is certainly open to question.

Q5odPgh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

main-qimg-12428cae3df2e3e71906dd4ba5ab5395

Note also that the United States, while having no territorial claim in Antarctica, maintains a large base at the South Pole - overlapping the claims of all other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Considering the cost of alcohol here compared to most countries, this is hardly surprising.
    Not so much the cost of alcohol, by the price of alcohol in pubs and the amount people drink there.

• Advertisement

A map of existing and planned night trains in central Europe, to be run by Austrian Railways (OBB). Most of these will be up and running in the next few months.

I used to take the Munich-Paris night train on a regular basis, left Munich at 21:00 and arrived at 7:00 the next morning, I'd sleep most fo the way. Always fascinating to go to sleep in one language/cultural zone and wake up in another. The Hamburg-Vienna line alone will pass through 5 countries in its 1,100 Km journey.

EaADjysX0AAEGgV?format=jpg&name=small

I used to live in Graz, was always blown away at the efficiency of the Austrian rail network, usually forgotten when talking about successful European rail networks which is dominated by Germany & France.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

I used to live in Graz, was always blown away at the efficiency of the Austrian rail network, usually forgotten when talking about successful European rail networks which is dominated by Germany & France.

I have heard that Austria is excellent on the infrastructure front, haven't been there yet.

Don't forget Belgium and Holland for good infrastructure either. You can easily get around Belgium on its rail system and can get low cost weekly or monthly passes to do so. I lived in Brussels for some time and underground underneath the apartment building at one level was a station for a suburban train system. Below that again was a station for the Brussels metro.

People are generally unaware that Belgium has a great stretch of sandy coastline. It has a tram line that runs the entire length of it, supposedly the longest tram line in the world. Ostend sits in the centre of the line.

Here is its website with route map planner Belgian coastal tram The beaches around Knokke are very fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I lived in Brussels for some time and underground underneath the apartment building at one level was a station for a suburban train system. Below that again was a station for the Brussels metro.
    My jaw hit the floor when I saw Antwerp central station. The building itself is an architecture jewel. But when you get to the tracks... Like five or six levels deep, serving metro, and local, intercity and high speed trains.

Speaking on Belgian trains, I saw this earlier today. Imagine if they tried that here.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1269921033500360704

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Malaysia and Indonesia both have and haven't got McDonald's according to this. :pac:

M2_tidal_constituent.jpg
    Tide height

tide07d.gif
    how many tides a day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I never knew there were places that didn't get 2 rides a day .... Also remember the tidal height in North West Australia as being massive ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Markcheese wrote: »
    ... 2 rides a day...

Don't think I'd be able at my age.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    I never knew there were places that didn't get 2 rides a day .... Also remember the tidal height in North West Australia as being massive ...

Freudian slip?

Jokes aside, I'm loving this thread, one of the most interesting I've come across in a long time!

Advertisement