Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Subterranean bacteria and microbes are thought to outweigh humans by between 245 and 385 times. Humans probably make up less than 1% of life on Earth by carbon weight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not quite a map

5614_d47f_960.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the hover text was "Bacteria still outweigh us thousands to one--and that's not even counting the several pounds of them in your body."

well that is my excuse for putting on weight sorted out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

An 1837 traffic survey, one of 16 historical document copies in a folder (Ireland from Maps) that I found in the mid 90s in a visitor/interpretive/heritage centre shop. National Library of Ireland publication (1980), ISBN 0 907328 00 8.
    519319.jpg
    (Could easily post cropped bits of it if anyone wanted to zoom in somewhere).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

well that is my excuse for putting on weight sorted out.

I'm not fat, just riddled with bacteria :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

united_states_of_apathy.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

language_map_of_europe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Electoral College system would account for a lot of that rather than apathy tbh, most states are locked in so a lot of citizens in them wont bother voting for a foregone conclusion and its all down to the swing states. If they switched to a straight popular vote system a lot of those supposedly apathetic people would be straight down to the voting booth.
    Gaspode wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Gaspode wrote: »

So does that mean I'm the President?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Fogmatic wrote: »
    An 1837 traffic survey, one of 16 historical document copies in a folder (Ireland from Maps) that I found in the mid 90s in a visitor/interpretive/heritage centre shop. National Library of Ireland publication (1980), ISBN 0 907328 00 8.
    519319.jpg
    (Could easily post cropped bits of it if anyone wanted to zoom in somewhere).

as posted above

it is one of the most interesting maps to come out of Ireland.

meanwhile

0103eac20d8b23c89c330081ccd8626c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

as posted above

it is one of the most interesting maps to come out of Ireland.

meanwhile

0103eac20d8b23c89c330081ccd8626c.jpg

Ah yes, the old map colouring trick so beloved of politicians and their ilk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In 1992, approximately 29000 rubber duckies fell off a cargo ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This is where they made landfall.

where-rubber-ducks-made-landfall-after-being-dumped-in-pacific-ocean.jpg?w=800&h=492

Copy and paste of a post I made about this in another thread a while back:
    In January 1992 a cargo ship going from Hong Kong to America overturned and 28,000 plastic ducks ended up being lost at sea. Although, strictly speaking not all were lost, as a good few have been found washed up on shores throughout the world and have helped to teach us about ocean currents. Likewise, the ones still floating in the sea have given a deeper understanding of ocean currents. The ducks have washed up along the shores of Hawaii, Alaska, South America, Australia and the Pacific Northwest, Newfoundland, Scotland whilst others have been found frozen in Arctic ice.

Quite a number of the ducks have been spotted in the North Pacific Gyre (see image below) - thus helping to identify a vortex of currents stretching between Japan to Alaska Kodiak and the Aleutian Islands. Roughly, it takes the three years for the ducks to do a full loop in the current.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108109027&postcount=7775

as posted above

Thank you - I missed that posting (haven't had time yet to read through this whole thread!). It's a great resource.

One of those maps (the network in 1837 I think) reminds me of a great childhood holiday, from London all the way to Dingle, also taking in various other places (happy hours hanging around the Limerick waterside by myself while the grownups were down the pub, for instance!), and apart from the Holyhead mail boat it was all by train (which must have been very affordable). I find traces of old railway lines fascinating, though sad at the same time (especially where all that's left is a placename in the middle of nowhere like Somebody's Halt).

Another one from the Map Library in London; a detail from photocopies of the Co. Donegal part of a large chart of the Irish coastal waters (very necessary to chart by the look of it!).
    519387.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

cnhBAv4.jpg

Thought this was interesting and a little different to the thread.

The map of José Salvador Alvarenga's journey, a Salvadoran fisherman who was lost at sea near Costa Azul, Mexico and his boat drifted the whole way to the Marshall Islands over 14 months, himself found alive.

No motor, no oars, no anchor, no running lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Salvador_Alvarenga

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Thargor wrote: »
    The Electoral College system would account for a lot of that rather than apathy tbh, most states are locked in so a lot of citizens in them wont bother voting for a foregone conclusion and its all down to the swing states. If they switched to a straight popular vote system a lot of those supposedly apathetic people would be straight down to the voting booth.

There's a lot of "Nobody" districts in swing states like Pennsylvania, Nevada, Ohio as well. Generally disillusioned voter when faced with two poor candidates in Hillary and Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

josip wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old map colouring trick so beloved of politicians and their ilk.

A big GIS issue is the MAUP or modifiable areal unit problem.

It's quite the issue alright.

You see it writ large with the displaying of Covid statistics on a county by county basis - I'm looking at you Cork and Galway - or when the north is lumped with the UK as a whole, despite having no new cases itself for days sometimes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifiable_areal_unit_problem

cnhBAv4.jpg

Thought this was interesting and a little different to the thread.

The map of José Salvador Alvarenga's journey, a Salvadoran fisherman who was lost at sea near Costa Azul, Mexico and his boat drifted the whole way to the Marshall Islands over 14 months, himself found alive.

No motor, no oars, no anchor, no running lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Salvador_Alvarenga
    Not surprising it was a feat of survival and hard to track his exact journey with all this going on!
    (From the Handy Reference Atlas, pub. John Bartholomew 1949).
    519485.jpg
    519487.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

European countries that abolished their monarchies (in white) and the year they did so.

11417_95387446_33bff699-42c5-4848-9719-c702b0f1d571.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JupiterKid wrote: »
    European countries that abolished their monarchies (in white) and the year they did so.

http://www.gaire.com/db3-images/11417_95387446_33bff699-42c5-4848-9719-c702b0f1d571.jpeg
    San Marino I understand, but Finland ?

• Advertisement

Was that the king that never happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

San Marino I understand, but Finland ?
    Was that the king that never happened?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Finland_(1918)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Evidently, World War years are a good time to pick up low cost crown memorabilia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

11417_95387446_33bff699-42c5-4848-9719-c702b0f1d571.jpeg

Did Ireland have a monarchy from 1921 to 1937?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We didn't become a Republic until 1948. We had an Oath of Allegiance to the King, Dev wouldn't sign it but in 1926 he exercised some Jesuitical twist that allowed him sign but no really mean it and take his seat in the Dail. Think he got rid of it n 1932/33.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, although the role was rather restricted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Ireland The king's representative, the Governor-General, was nominated by the Irish government and did the day-to-day work that the president would later do.
    As a Dominion, the Free State was a constitutional monarchy with the British monarch as its head of state. The monarch was officially represented in the new Free State by the Governor-General of the Irish Free State.
    The Government of the Irish Free State (also known as His Majesty's Government in the Irish Free State)[5] was confident that the relationship of these independent countries under the Crown would function as a personal union.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_union
    A personal union is the combination of two or more states that have the same monarch while their boundaries, laws, and interests remain distinct.[1] A real union, by contrast, would involve the constituent states being to some extent interlinked, such as by sharing some limited governmental institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Water John wrote: »
    We didn't become a Republic until 1948. We had an Oath of Allegiance to the King, Dev wouldn't sign it but in 1926 he exercised some Jesuitical twist that allowed him sign but no really mean it and take his seat in the Dail. Think he got rid of it n 1932/33.

The current Constitution come into force on December 29th 1937. It created the position of President of Ireland, and makes no mention of the British Monarchy. While it doesn’t declare the President to be the Head of State, it does say that the a President “shall take precedence over all other persons in the State”. There was no Governor General in Ireland representing the British Monarch after 1937, and the President de facto fulfilled the role of Head of State. While there may be some technical ambiguity as to who was the Head of State between this date and the official declaration of the Republic, in all practical terms it was the President.

It’s also of note that the Republic Of Ireland Act 1948 declared Ireland to be a Republic without any change to the Constitution. The Constitution still does not say that the President is the Head Of State (although that is declared in Legislation). So I think it’s fair to say that we ditched the Monarchy in 1937.

It technically had a monarchy until 1949.

A weird quirk of Bunreacht na hEireann is that it does allow for a monarch. Although the relevant section is written in jargon; all that is required for our re-joining the commonwealth would be a simple Oireachtas vote
    2° For the purpose of the exercise of any executive function of the State in or in connection with its external relations, the Government may to such extent and subject to such conditions, if any, as may be determined by law, avail of or adopt any organ, instrument, or method of procedure used or adopted for the like purpose by the members of any group or league of nations with which the State is or becomes associated for the purpose of international co-operation in matters of common concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It technically had a monarchy until 1949.

A weird quirk of Bunreacht na hEireann is that it does allow for a monarch. Although the relevant section is written in jargon; all that is required for our re-joining the commonwealth would be a simple Oireachtas vote

I don’t think that section allows for a Monarch at all. Furthermore, Article 12.1 declares the President to take “precedence over all other persons in the State”, which prevents us having a monarch.

It would allow us to join the Commonwealth via Legalisation as you mentioned, but you don’t need to declare the British Monarch to be your Head of State to be in the Commonwealth. Currently 31 of the 54 member states of the Commonwealth are Republics with their own Head Of State.

• Advertisement

I don’t think that section allows for a Monarch at all. Furthermore, Article 12.1 declares the President to take “precedence over all other persons in the State”, which prevents us having a monarch.

It would allow us to join the Commonwealth via Legalisation as you mentioned, but you don’t need to declare the British Monarch to be your Head of State to be in the Commonwealth. Currently 31 of the 54 member states of the Commonwealth are Republics with their own Head Of State.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that the 1937 Constitution abolished the monarchy in Ireland. Even under the External Relations Act, it is authorised for the King to act in the name of Ireland for certain diplomatic purposes. There was a monarch here, although only technically, until 1949. If any historian or lawyer disputes that, I'd be pretty surprised.

The fact that the President enjoys precedence within the State is not indicative of much.

Advertisement