Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Markcheese wrote: »
    I never knew there were places that didn't get 2 rides a day .... Also remember the tidal height in North West Australia as being massive ...

Where about did you notice that: Ningaloo area?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Derby, in WA, has a tide range of 11.8m, almost 40'. There is a large jetty there, which is on some pretty long legs. Not great to jump off due to the crocodiles and sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

cnocbui wrote: »
    Derby, in WA, has a tide range of 11.8m, almost 40'. There is a large jetty there, which is on some pretty long legs. Not great to jump off due to the crocodiles and sharks.

Which reminds me of this map

fnHxd6D.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

Note also that the United States, while having no territorial claim in Antarctica, maintains a large base at the South Pole - overlapping the claims of all other countries.

I was going to correct this to say McMurdo base was on the coast, but then I found the Amundsen-Scott base. That's me leanrt. From wikipedia;

Since the Amundsen–Scott Station is located at the South Pole, it is at the only inhabited place on the land surface of the Earth from which the Sun is continuously visible for six months and is then continuously dark for the next six months. Thus, during each year, this station experiences one extremely long "day" and one equally long "night".

josip wrote: »
    Which reminds me of this map

I'm from there. Ireland has Revenue, so it's a bit of a toss up. Lifelong, painful, parasitic infection, vs a quick and spectacular end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm from there. Ireland has Revenue, so it's a bit of a toss up. Lifelong, painful, parasitic infection, vs a quick and spectacular end.

Does that mean you don't pay taxes in Australia? :eek: My, what are you, a big bunch of convicted felons? :pac:

New Home wrote: »
    Does that mean you don't pay taxes in Australia? :eek: My, what are you, a big bunch of convicted felons? :pac:

Don't bleed taxes like here, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

France's longest border is with Brazil...

xo4p93tm7k251.jpg

Brazil took it one time (at the time the capital of Portugal was Rio de Janeiro https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_of_the_Portuguese_court_to_Brazil):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_conquest_of_French_Guiana

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ipso wrote: »
    Where about did you notice that: Ningaloo area?

Broom , ( north west ) ,didn't notice on the beach ,but you'd really notice it at the pier ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Locations in the world prone to tornadoes (in orange shading)

11417_82586810_705b81db-65da-4681-9edc-98aeaeac4e51.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

that tornado one is weird, i think i can only remember talk of one tornado in ireland, why are we in orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

greenttc wrote: »
    that tornado one is weird, i think i can only remember talk of one tornado in ireland, why are we in orange?
    80731991f1f3378d4590d8de7634da418e4bd902a133245694dda315b959dbaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Probably part of the Good Friday Agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://www.thejournal.ie/roof-canopy-collapse-train-station-cork-1229627-Dec2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Victor wrote: »

Some random passerby saying "it was like a tornado" does not make it a tornado.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Also, one tornado seven years ago doesn't make the country "prone to" tornadoes.

Maybe they classify an Sidhe Gaoithe as tornadoes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've seen multiple tornadoes in Ireland. We have lots but they're usually very small and don't cause much damage.

I've seen multiple tornadoes in Ireland. We have lots but they're usually very small and don't cause much damage.

Photos, or they didn't happen.

Twiddly little water spouts don't a tornado make. If anyone can reference a tornado in Ireland with wind speeds in excess of 200 kph, I'd be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Photos, or they didn't happen.

Twiddly little water spouts don't a tornado make. If anyone can reference a tornado in Ireland with wind speeds in excess of 200 kph, I'd be interested.

From Wiki
    Most tornadoes have wind speeds less than 110 miles per hour

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Met Éireann seems a reasonable authority to defer to on this -
    In short, Ireland is not immune to tornadoes, and even if they are sometimes referred to as “mini-tornadoes”, they are still tornadoes. However, all tornadoes can be dangerous and on average there are 10 occurrences in Ireland each year. Ireland’s first documented tornado occurred near Rosdalla, Kilbeggan, Co. Westmeath on the 30th of April 1054

But basically if Ireland is considered to be prone to tornadoes, then it should put the rest of the map in context.

From Wiki

Ok, I'll settle for the 80m across and touching the cloud base and earth simultaneously bit then.
    Most tornadoes have wind speeds less than 110 miles per hour (180 km/h), are about 250 feet (80 m) across

Wiki also says
    A tornado is a rapidly rotating column of air that is in contact with both the surface of the Earth and a cumulonimbus cloud or, in rare cases, the base of a cumulus cloud

So 'She Gee's don't cut it either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Seems I've accidentally wondered into the tornado thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

cdeb wrote: »
    Met Éireann seems a reasonable authority to defer to on this -

But basically if Ireland is considered to be prone to tornadoes, then it should put the rest of the map in context.

Yea they are generally small but remember years ago, a friend of my dads had the roof of his house torn off by one. Freak occurance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

d47eefcf03e1e66c471dd4f633033045.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tumblr_ozvshjtOAo1rasnq9o1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

55c7042f65bb08f40cb2f6652ff7628d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

dan1895 wrote: »
    Some random passerby saying "it was like a tornado" does not make it a tornado.
    I remember as a young fella on the mountain bog you'd see ,and feel, dust devils.
    Mini tornadoes. They'd knock you over but that's about it.

Advertisement