Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Trying to port back to vodafone but staff at Carphone Warehouse weren't able to do it. Anyone have experience with this?

Did the store staff give a reason why they couldn't port your number?
    I was in Vodafone a few months ago, it was after 4pm on Saturday and they said I'd have to wait until Monday for the port to go through. I was porting from Tesco to Vodafone. Maybe it was just a timing issue.
    I ported 2 gomo numbers to Vodafone online before Christmas without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Go to a Vodafone shop and you will get free credit for porting back

How much?

What's their data throttling like, after the 80gig limit is surpassed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What's their data throttling like, after the 80gig limit is surpassed

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058031677/1

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

Trying to port back to vodafone but staff at Carphone Warehouse weren't able to do it. Anyone have experience with this?

Yes, tried contacting both for a few weeks. Vodafone said GoMo weren't responding to porting requests, GoMo said they don't do that and confirmed they had responded.

Back and forth like that, gave up and was going to drop into a Vodafone shop when I got a chance until I unexpectedly got a text on Christmas day and the SIM ported. All working well now.

• Advertisement

Tippex wrote: »
    I think this is the first time I have ever seen a telco being called stupid because they have setup their fair usage policy in such a way that customers never get overages. Usually people complain about the policies being too restrictive. The 45000 mins is basically a catch all and looks better than 44640 mins as that would be oddly specific. (Btw I’m not saying you are complaining)

They should just call it unlimited and they should be prevented from claiming data is unlimited by the regulator unless it is actually unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,269 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They should just call it unlimited and they should be prevented from claiming data is unlimited by the regulator unless it is actually unlimited.

It is unlimited.
    It's just gets throttled when people take the piss.

I moved from eir 50gb a month and I used to get by on that.
    People need to adjust their settings on streaming.

You can watch roughly 3 hours of YouTube at 480p and only use about a GB.

Mr.S wrote: »
    So it's not unlimited. You are limited to 80GB, it's misleading to refer to a data policy as "unlimited" if they restrict service after X GB.

Didn't mislead me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mr.S wrote: »
    So it's not unlimited. You are limited to 80GB, it's misleading to refer to a data policy as "unlimited" if they restrict service after X GB.

Fair usage policies are standard in most services you use, it's standard contract now.

It's not misleading, it's to be expected.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yeah it’s quite clear what you get For a tenner
    All calls texts and data (80gb)
    Not sire how anyone can use 80gb on a phone unless they are using it as a hotspot or in a dongle at home

I have it in a hotspot and have no fear of going over 80gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

blade1 wrote: »

I don't have it in a hotspot and regularly reach around 80GB, 200GB once.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

blade1 wrote: »

Same. I have 3 x IP Cameras (storing locally) and run a few consoles off it. Hit about 50GB. Gaming actually uses very little data. If I was watching Netflix etc, I'd expect to go over it very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

antodeco wrote: »
    Gaming actually uses very little data. If I was watching Netflix etc, I'd expect to go over it very quickly

Netflix and YouTube are heavily compressed too. You can easily use 20GB an hour watching actual HD video. I watched The Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition in HD over the Christmas and that alone used 160GB.

Silly question time:

Offer ends on the 8th? So does that just mean order a sim car before the 8th and your safe? or do they want you to have ordered the card, received it and ported by the 8th? (ie; if i go onto their side and just order a sim card on the 7th am i safe enough, once i have actually ordered the card?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

Silly question time:

Offer ends on the 8th? So does that just mean order a sim car before the 8th and your safe? or do they want you to have ordered the card, received it and ported by the 8th? (ie; if i go onto their side and just order a sim card on the 7th am i safe enough, once i have actually ordered the card?)
    I think it's probably if you sign up before the 8th. The offer I would imagine is applied to your account, on creation - so I think you should be OK.

MMXX wrote: »
    I think it's probably if you sign up before the 8th. The offer I would imagine is applied to your account, on creation - so I think you should be OK.

Cheers MMXX. I was thinking the same.

I signed up over xmas and got my sim card last week and ported today. So im okay. but a few friends have shown an interest now, too.

I presume the offer will be extended for another week or two anyway as they havent got a replacement offer/plan yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I presume the offer will be extended for another week or two anyway as they havent got a replacement offer/plan yet.

That's unlikely, all they need to do is update a webpage with the new price. IMO relying on them extending it isn't a good idea.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That's unlikely, all they need to do is update a webpage with the new price. IMO relying on them extending it isn't a good idea.
    I seen it mentioned a few pages back too, that it was going to be €14.99 after the offer expires. I don't know where that information came from, but I personally wouldn't be taking any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Can anybody give me information on tethering?

if I buy a second SIM and leave it in the house all the time can that function as a home Wi-Fi?

Can other people run their device off it as well?

this is all new to me so just wondering should I get a second SIM before the offer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I applied for a SIM on 23rd December but still no sign, didn't think it'd be this slow. Think there have been at 6 working days since. Hope it arrives tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

I applied for a SIM on 23rd December but still no sign, didn't think it'd be this slow. Think there have been at 6 working days since. Hope it arrives tomorrow.

To be honest you’d be better off if it didn’t arrive. Awful network with non existence customer service. If something goes wrong with your port, be prepared to be weeks without resolution. It’s literally rolling the dice that it goes ok. Numerous people on here have lost numbers they’ve had years, or been without sms service for weeks. I had to move network after a month when they wouldn’t resolve an issue receiving sms. I’m sure plenty of people will reply to my post saying how the vast majority have had no issues at all, but be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

winter2019 wrote: »
    Numerous people on here have lost numbers they’ve had years.

That is the most exaggerated statement I've seen here to date, scaremongering by someone with a grudge obviously! :D

We have 4 GoMo sims here, 3 ported & one not (by choice) & all 4 are working flawlessly.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

To be honest you’d be better off if it didn’t arrive. Awful network with non existence customer service. If something goes wrong with your port, be prepared to be weeks without resolution. It’s literally rolling the dice that it goes ok. Numerous people on here have lost numbers they’ve had years, or been without sms service for weeks. I had to move network after a month when they wouldn’t resolve an issue receiving sms. I’m sure plenty of people will reply to my post saying how the vast majority have had no issues at all, but be warned.

Are you implying that if I google a different Irish network, I wouldn't find someone complaining of an issue with porting, bad customer service, bad response time etc.? You've been one of the unlucky few of the small sample that have had issues as others have had with other networks, saying it's a "roll of the dice" is quite the stretch without backing it up with some proper statistics.

That is the most exaggerated statement I've seen here to date, scaremongering by someone with a grudge obviously! :D

We have 4 GoMo sims here, 3 ported & one not (by choice) & all 4 are working flawlessly.

Like I said, plenty will post here saying I’m scaremongering. How have I a grudge? Delighted you had no issues. Out of 4 switched in our household, 3 had serious issues. 1 unable to receive calls or sms from the 3 network for 2 weeks, 1 unable to receive any SMS, and 1 unable to receive any 2 factor sms from bank, credit union, govt depts etc.

Laughable how anyone who offers a warning to people is labeled as having a grudge ! Have a read through their twitter feed, or have a look at the gomo issues thread if you really think this is the “most exaggerated statement you’ve seen to date.”

Are you implying that if I google a different Irish network, I wouldn't find someone complaining of an issue with porting, bad customer service, bad response time etc.? You've been one of the unlucky few of the small sample that have had issues as others have had with other networks, saying it's a "roll of the dice" is quite the stretch without backing it up with some proper statistics.

Ok here’s a statistic. 3 out of 4 sims I switched in our family have had serious issues for weeks on end with no resolution from gomo. 3 formal complaints with comreg (who by the way have accepted the complaints).

Ok here’s a statistic. 3 out of 4 sims I switched in our family have had serious issues for weeks on end with no resolution from gomo. 3 formal complaints with comreg (who by the way have accepted the complaints).

And are you suggesting that multiple people within the same household have not had serious issues with other networks? If you are, that's crazy, and if you're not, you've made no point.

You're upset it hasn't gone well for you, I get it, but generalising based on such a small sample size, be it your household or the small sample of complaints you've read, doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great offer for the 99% of people that haven't had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I am so pleased since I changed from 3 to Gomo, for me, it works flawlessly, I have great download speed compared to previous provider, but am putting this down to better reception in my area. And now the 1850, 1890 numbers are included in the package. I had been charged for these in November but as of December as per Comreg rules, are included in the 9.99 fee. Happy days.

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't have it in a hotspot and regularly reach around 80GB, 200GB once.

I wouldn't doubt you.
    We could all go gung ho if we didn't have our heads screwed on.

Another* stat:

62% of 527 reviews from TrustPilot rate GoMo as 'Bad'. 3% of people rated as 'Poor', and 3% rated it as 'Average'.

The remaining 30% of people rated it at 8% 'Great' and 22% 'Excellent'.

This means that 368 people that left reviews found GoMo to be not good.

Over 100,000 people have signed up for the offer, just to put it into perspective. Now, I'm shocking at maths - but surely... even if there was five times the 368, unhappy customers - that's still... under 2%!?

*Very unscientific, should be taken with a bucket of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

MMXX wrote: »
    Another* stat:

62% of 527 reviews from TrustPilot rate GoMo as 'Bad'. 3% of people rated as 'Poor', and 3% rated it as 'Average'.

The remaining 30% of people rated it at 8% 'Great' and 22% 'Excellent'.

This means that 368 people that left reviews found GoMo to be not good.

Over 100,000 people have signed up for the offer, just to put it into perspective. Now, I'm shocking at maths - but surely... even if there was five times the 368, unhappy customers - that's still... under 2%!?

*Very unscientific, should be taken with a bucket of salt.
    Usually, dissatisfied people leave reviews, so you are correct, take it with a grain of salt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement