Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Has anyone seriously proposes the Bahrain outer circuit?

Ross Brawn mentioned it the other day and said it could be quite exciting, but there are other layouts at Bahrain that I'd imagine would be considered first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Daniel Ricciardo has got back into on F1 car for the first time in months today. He was driving the Renault RS18. There is a video of it online somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

AMKC wrote: »
    I see Daniel Ricciardo has got back into on F1 car for the first time in months today. He was driving the Renault RS18. There is a video of it online somewhere.

https://streamable.com/qac367 - yesterday, practise start

Hamilton causing a stir with a reaction something Helmut apparently said, which he did not.

https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/1273195389550764039

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ogdndhquzj551.png

Testing recap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Hamilton causing a stir with a reaction something Helmut apparently said, which he did not.

https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/1273195389550764039

Hamilton is a grade 1 plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

weekaizer wrote: »
    Hamilton is a grade 1 plonker.

What did Hamilton say in response to the made up Marko quite?

What did Hamilton say in response to the made up Marko quite?

Call him and red bull out, stopping short of calling him racist

Call him and red bull out, stopping short of calling him racist

Seems a reasoned and passionate response to the comments Helmut (never actually) made.

He didn't call him a racist. He listed racist incidents form his past which were real and racist and relevant to the comment Helmut (didn't actually) make. He owes Helmut an apology, obviously, because Helmut didn't actually say the things that were attributed to him.

I'm not a LH44 man, but keep the criticism for when he's actually being an aszhole. He'll be back on track, whining if he's not winning everything and being insufferable on the car radio. He's actually doing some really good work in a sport which is mostly silent on the biggest cultural movement of the moment.

F1 worries about becoming irrelevant, here's evidence of why it's becoming irrelevant - it doesn't express any interest in being relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/alex-zanardi-accident-hospital-handbike/4809326/
    Alex Zanardi has been airlifted to hospital in Italy following an accident during one of the stages of the Paralympic handbike ‘Obiettivo tricolore’ relay race on Friday.

Oh dear, I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Gintonious wrote: »

If there is one man on this earth that can pull through and not give up it is Alex. unreal human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Gintonious wrote: »

If he survived that accident in 2001 he'll survive this, Zanardi was unlucky on the F1 race track but he's a champion on the race track of survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

TCP/IP wrote: »
    If there is one man on this earth that can pull through and not give up it is Alex. unreal human being.

Terrible news. Was only listening to the f1 podcast beyond the grid with him being interviewed this morning. What a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I really hope he pulls through this. The man is incredible. A real inspiration to look up to.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

28640699740_0037b27edd_b.jpg

I am rooting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

FFS, if that lad didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. Fingers crossed he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Not sure if anyone here is following Lando Norris on Twitch, but he was streaming onboard his F3 preseason training session today at silverstone.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/655375781

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This could be interesting. Hugh Jackman is going to play Enzo Ferrari in a new movie called Ferrari.

It will begin shooting from spring 2021.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/hugh-jackman-ferrari-michael-mann-movie-stx-amazon-cannes-1202962040/

STX will be distributing the film in the UK & Ireland & it's currently in talks with Amazon to distribute it internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Less than two weeks to go to the first qualifying session of the season. Bring. It. On.

This could be interesting. Hugh Jackman is going to play Enzo Ferrari in a new movie called Ferrari.

It will begin shooting from spring 2021.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/hugh-jackman-ferrari-michael-mann-movie-stx-amazon-cannes-1202962040/

STX will be distributing the film in the UK & Ireland & it's currently in talks with Amazon to distribute it internationally.

I doubt it will be particularly interesting. A bloke creating a company and a brand isn't really interesting to me. I wouldn't be interested if Jackman played David Beckham or David Cameron either.

Ferrari is an example of how to succeed even when you fail in F1. They must be the worst value for money on the F1 grid. They get to make the rules and they still get beaten by better teams who run their teams well!

Ferrari uses F1 as it's primary source of advertising and somehow F1 is beholden to Ferrari! It's an absolutely terrible situation and the only way a film could make ferrari look good is to be a movie-length infomercial.

Sounds shyte.

• Advertisement

Not a bad piece in the journal

A horrific accident left him on the brink of death. One year later, he was champion of the world

https://the42.ie/5035147

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Its been quoted on social media that German Broadcaster RTL will end its deal to broadcast F1 after more than 30 years. A big disappointment to me as I had always refused to subscribe to Sky's monopoly and instead invested in my own satellite kit to watch the races live and for free. I don't think there are any European broadcasters showing live F1 races free or unencrypted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its amazing how narrow sighted the F1 folks can be. You take sports off free to air the numbers of followers drops off a cliff within 10 years. Its happened to so many sports over the years.

I don't know which was worse, putting F1 behind a paywall or having free to air but with ad breaks during the race. San Marino 2005 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

To be fair, I'd prefer paying than having ads during a live race.
    We pay for sports + HD so get sky sports F1 anyway so I can't complain. Their coverage is wall to wall, and, once you get past some of the annoying "bants" and the "personalities" the actual coverage is fine. I generally don't watch it live so can fast forward Simon etc.

I do enjoy the notebook so I can't complain about ted, but I know he is not liked here. Same as "lights out and away we go" crofty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

ELM327 wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd prefer paying than having ads during a live race.
    We pay for sports + HD so get sky sports F1 anyway so I can't complain. Their coverage is wall to wall, and, once you get past some of the annoying "bants" and the "personalities" the actual coverage is fine. I generally don't watch it live so can fast forward Simon etc.

I do enjoy the notebook so I can't complain about ted, but I know he is not liked here. Same as "lights out and away we go" crofty

Yeah but the issue is never gonna be the dedicated fans, it's the casual/new followers that are gonna be cut out.

As I've said before, F1 is not something that's "culturally embedded" into populations like football is. It's just the nature of the sport; curious coincidence has it that the two countries where F1 is most popular also are the ones where football is the most deeply ingrained - England and Italy. Yet even in these two, people will go out of their way to follow football, but will go "meh, don't care" if F1 becomes difficult to access.

Its amazing how narrow sighted the F1 folks can be. You take sports off free to air the numbers of followers drops off a cliff within 10 years. Its happened to so many sports over the years.

You're right, of course. We plan to be F1 fans for life and we want to see the sport thrive. But an investor doesn't care about the long term future of the sport. They just need money now or a short term improvement in share price and they get what they wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

Plenty of sports have done very well or continued to grow in popularity after moving off free to air too. If this wasn't the case then Sky Sports wouldn't be able to exist and fill up a schedule.

F1's problem is that the product they've been offering up has been dreadful ever since the introduction of the hybrid formula. There hasn't been a single year when you didn't already know which team would be crowned champion by the end of Saturday in Melbourne, further compounded by Mercedes refusal to hire a competitive driver since Rosberg retired.

To think that in 2012, only one year separated from the introduction of the hybrid Formula, we had a season where 7 different drivers won the first seven races, six different teams scored victories, 13 different drivers claimed podiums, and the title was decided in the final race of the season for the 5th time in 7 years.

2013 was a write off as teams switched development focus to the 2014 rules, and ever since then the sport has been a shadow of what it used to be. Imagine the action and excitement we'd have seen over the last decade if they hadn't decided to screw up the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Based off quite a few posts I've seen on Reddit and me myself, Drive to Survive on Netflix has brought over quite a few fans

This time last year I would have been able to name maybe 5 current F1 drivers and probably wouldn't have known the champion

Pay to watch or free to air doesn't bother me since where there's a will there's a way these days

I think I'd rather see less of the "paid" races like Abu Dhabi meaning it has to be behind a paywall, rather than what we have atm which is paid races and a paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

quokula wrote: »
    further compounded by Mercedes refusal to hire a competitive driver since Rosberg retired.

This is one of the many reasons I have been arguing for a draft system. Promoting talent over money another reason.

Drivers should be paid €1k per lap completed and €50k per point from the prize money pool. Payments from teams not permitted bar a fixed amount for expenses.

At the start of the season any driver who has a superlicence can resigter to be in the draft pool. Teams each pick a driver in order of constructors standings with the team 3 ahead of you getting to pick their second driver before you.

i.e. Team 1 picks Their first driver, then T2 picks their D1, T3 D1, T1 D2, T4 D1, T2 D2, T5 D1, T3 D2, T6 D1, T4 D2, T7 D1, T5 D2, T8 D1, T6 D2, T9 D1, T7 D2, T10 D1, T8 D2, T9 D2, T10 D2. Then each team picks a reserve/sim/test driver.

Prize money payouts need to be revised to 50% of the pool paid out proportional to points, 30% paid out proprtional to laps completed and 20% paid out proportional to continuous years in the sport without a significant brand change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Longing

F1 fan from the late 70's. 2014 got life changing disease never work full time again. Financial situation changed so SKY had to go. When C4 lost full rights to live races I got extra dish on side of the house to watch races on RTL and listened to radio 5 live commentary. Now it to has been pulled to from a dedicated fan for more than 40 years.

I have a image in my head now of Monaco of the F1 corporate elite on there yachts sipping ten thousand bottle of bubbly laughing. The differences in the two worlds is incredible. They can laugh away I still can't pay whatever it is for there Sky F1 package. But I can tell you this come 2021 I will be on the sofa with my glass of bubbly (7up) smiling you greedy f****rs will not be laughing it up on my sick money has i look at the TV and the cars are still there. ;) If you catch my drift!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement