Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    True, the history is there for everybody to see, but it's also a common situation for racing series that start chasing "direct manufacturers involvement" like F1 has been doing for the last two decades. It's not by chance that the more interesting races happened at times when most teams were privateers with various levels of support from an engine builder.

Surely the most interesting races were in the post ww2 era when most teams were factory entered. ie. , Ferrari , Alfa Romeo, Talbot, Mercedes, Maserati, BRM etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

rock22 wrote: »
    Surely the most interesting races were in the post ww2 era when most teams were factory entered. ie. , Ferrari , Alfa Romeo, Talbot, Mercedes, Maserati, BRM etc.?

The "golden era" of F1 is universally considered to be around the 1960s and 1970s; This was the time when the small garage-born teams came to become the backbone of the grid - the likes of Tyrrell, Lotus, Cooper, BRM (yeah, wasn't a manufacturer), Brabham, March, McLaren and many others with various level of success, to the chagrin of Enzo Ferrari who genuinely despised them (and the fact they were doing better than a supposedly well-funded manufacturer).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

formula-1-mercedes-f1-team-jun-2.jpg

This was taken today...praise be.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Ah good to see even if it is the W09 not the new car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Are many anticipating a closer title race this time around?

The double Austria will surely help Verstappen and RB with the last 2 wins going their way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Are many anticipating a closer title race this time around?

The double Austria will surely help Verstappen and RB with the last 2 wins going their way

They were mid season races on both occasions, now we are dealing with the opening rounds, cars won't have several races behind them to know if there will be any reliability issues testing might not show.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Ah good to see even if it is the W09 not the new car

It's the racing point with camo livery ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

g1983d wrote: »
    It's the racing point with camo livery ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

:):):):):) Thats true mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭geotrig

So what testing has been done I cant remember now and was there any additional individual testing allowed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Harika

geotrig wrote: »
    So what testing has been done I cant remember now and was there any additional individual testing allowed ?

No, that's why they test in 2018 cars, camera days would be allowed but seems teams mostly used them for shake downs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,769 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

geotrig wrote: »

They had there two weeks with 3 days of testing out the new cars and most of it went good for everyone. They had camera days too but that was before the testing. I have no idea what the poster above me is on about. Mercedes brought out the W09 for some pictures which is a two year old car just to test Covid procedures with the team and how it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,124 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gintonious wrote: »
    formula-1-mercedes-f1-team-jun-2.jpg

This was taken today...praise be.

When you look at that car you can see so many aero bits, turning veins and general faddle-daddles. It's clear to see loads of money is going into those bits that are completely irrelevant to the real world, hinder the cars' performance in turbulent air and must cost a fortune in manhours to design and test all the variations. Massive waste of money.

They're building quali cars designed to be fast in clean air, and then they lose loads of downforce when they try to race and slide about and have to save the tyres. The new rules in 2022 will hopefully limit all that stuff.

When you look at that car you can see so many aero bits, turning veins and general faddle-daddles. It's clear to see loads of money is going into those bits that are completely irrelevant to the real world, hinder the cars' performance in turbulent air and must cost a fortune in manhours to design and test all the variations. Massive waste of money.

They're building quali cars designed to be fast in clean air, and then they lose loads of downforce when they try to race and slide about and have to save the tyres. The new rules in 2022 will hopefully limit all that stuff.

Not just that - we often see these being cracked, damaged or lost with very little to no effect on the on track performance of the car. I am sure the 0.2% loss of downforce or the turbulence resulting in a 0.05% increased fuel consumption shows up in the data, but not on track.

A "1980s clean" bodywork and wings would probably lose much less performance on the lap than many people believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,769 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would not say that any of the aero bits that were on that car were a massive waste of money maybe on a McLaren or even Ferrari sometimes as they had no idea what they were doing but on the Merc they knew there stuff most of the time and that 0.2 per cent difference or 0 05 per cent difference might have been the thing that kept Merc in front most of the time and getting most of the poles too. Yes I agree it did get out of hand changing aero bits every season it should have been less but otherwise it was something to talk about. So what if it was irrelevant to real world cars we wanted to see the best drivers in cars we can only dream of driving winning not someone in a road car. You can watch rallying or Nascar for that.

Different tyre compounds for the two Silverstone races. That's a clever little way to mix things up a bit.

https://wtf1.com/post/pirelli-will-bring-different-tyre-compounds-to-each-silverstone-race/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭geotrig

Different tyre compounds for the two Silverstone races. That's a clever little way to mix things up a bit.

https://wtf1.com/post/pirelli-will-bring-different-tyre-compounds-to-each-silverstone-race/

pity Austria didnt mix it up also

No Japan, Singapore or Azerbaijan. All races cancelled.

What Asian races can they have so? Just Bahrain and Abu Dhabi?

They need 3 continents to be able to call it a world title, normally they do 5 but Brazil can be ruled out as they're a crapshow, and since Australia is part street circuit I'm assuming it would be a hard setup

One of Mexico, USA or Canada has to happen at some stage to compliment the European and Asian races

What Asian races can they have so? Just Bahrain and Abu Dhabi?

They need 3 continents to be able to call it a world title, normally they do 5 but Brazil can be ruled out as they're a crapshow, and since Australia is part street circuit I'm assuming it would be a hard setup

One of Mexico, USA or Canada has to happen at some stage to compliment the European and Asian races

That might be so. I don't care how many continents they race on. It's still the f1 championship and this year will always be a strange one because of the shortened calendar. How many continents they race on is the least of it.

I can imagine Brazil and Mexico being sketchy still, might we end up with a Europe only championship?

• Advertisement

They might be so. I don't care how many continents they race at. It's still the f1 championship and this year will always be a strange one because of the shortened calendar. How many continents they race on is the least of it.

They need I think 8 races for it to be a championship, and for it to be on 3 continents to be a "world" championship, all of this is according to their own rules

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148887/how-many-races-does-f1-need-to-declare-a-season

I'd be much the same in reality, give me 8 Belgian Grand Prix and I'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Gintonious wrote: »
    I can imagine Brazil and Mexico being sketchy still, might we end up with a Europe only championship?

I don't see why they can't go to most of the usual places if they are going to the UK the 2nd worst affected country in the World for two races.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't see why they can't go to most of the usual places if they are going to the UK the 2nd worst affected country in the World for two races.

I would assume the UK is a special case. Probably wouldn’t be a runner if not for it been the base of most of the grid.

racersedge wrote: »
    I would assume the UK is a special case. Probably wouldn’t be a runner if not for it been the base of most of the grid.

A lot of the teams are based there as well, so that somewhat offsets the hassle of things, but then gets complicated when you factor in travel and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

As shady as the Tories have been with COVID-19, the UK figures are far more trustworthy than those from the regime of the Poundland Pinochet.

Canada 2011 was on YouTube, just watching it now. Forgot just how stupid some of the SC stuff was :P

Talk of having a race on Bahrain's outer circuit. Something I'd like to see, think there'd only be 4 proper braking points. Would be one of the fastest races as well.

I seen that lap times will probably be under a minute as well on the outer circuit

Will cause issues on lapped runners but with the massive straights then they can surely be dealt with quite easily, you’d just hope it doesnt interfere too much with the proper front and mid field racing

Well below the minute, it's 3.6km and mostly straights. If they lap 1'03" on the Red Bull Ring, which is 4.3km and has more corners...

It'd be interesting to see if the average lap speed would be higher than Monza - the circuit, in terms of typology, has some points of contact with "old-old" Silverstone, which was a bit faster.

• Advertisement

Has anyone seriously proposes the Bahrain outer circuit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement