Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Harika wrote: »
    Look at Schumacher at Mercedes. No chance as the car and driving style didn't suit him.

Brawn said from almost day 1, Schumacher said the tyre wear was the biggest problem, that almost 2 years of development went into that to get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Top Gear done a lovely dedication to Stirling Moss. Well worth watching. It repeated again on Thursday morning at 02.50am.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Red Bull management have said Gasly will never drive a Red Bull again. Meaning the main team, they are happy with him in the 2nd team. Gasly has said he is talking to other teams for 2022.

Helmut Marko recently said something along the lines of the following regarding the second seat "We have a young driver program and we want to promote talent from internally, but it looks like we don't have any talent internally so we have to look to other sources"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think I read gasly being mooted for Renault season after next? Surely perez is a no brainer for red bull for next season? Albon is so done at red bull you could stick a fork in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

GarIT wrote: »

Helmut Marko recently said something along the lines of the following regarding the second seat "We have a young driver program and we want to promote talent from internally, but it looks like we don't have any talent internally so we have to look to other sources"

Burn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

For those who already saw drive to survive

I found another show(sorry if already posted

September 2020
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt12855754/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Red Bull management have said Gasly will never drive a Red Bull again. Meaning the main team, they are happy with him in the 2nd team. Gasly has said he is talking to other teams for 2022.

It's obviously not true though. Gasley is a talent. Marko would have been right if he said "we have a talented driver in Gasley but we've already demonstrated our own inability to get any speed from him".

Since the Red Bull team is woeful at developing a driver alongside Max, they are probably 100% correct to get an experienced driver like Perez.

It's obviously not true though. Gasley is a talent. Marko would have been right if he said "we have a talented driver in Gasley but we've already demonstrated our own inability to get any speed from him".

Since the Red Bull team is woeful at developing a driver alongside Max, they are probably 100% correct to get an experienced driver like Perez.

I'm not saying they are correct. I'm repeating something that might give some insight to their plans. They have no intention of giving Gasly another chance. And they are only considering outsiders to replace Albon.

I'm not saying they are correct. I'm repeating something that might give some insight to their plans. They have no intention of giving Gasly another chance. And they are only considering outsiders to replace Albon.

It's Marko who i disagreed with

Horner said within the last 24 hours that Albon has Today and next weekend to bounce back and claim the seat.

He said they need two cars that can be within range of Mercedes next season.

And he said if they aren't keeping Albon they "will have to look outside the Red Bull pool of drivers as there is not one available that we would look to put in. There are some quality drivers on the market who are going to be unemployed for next year"

In summary, Albon out, Kivyat probably out as super license for Tsunoda requirements have been reduced by 10 points this year, and Gasly heavily insulted by both Marko and Horner. Perez, Hulk or Russell for next year.

My crazy outside hope is Hamilton to Red Bull as he has less than two months on his current Merc contract and they haven't started negotiating another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Horner said within the last 24 hours that Albon has Today and next weekend to bounce back and claim the seat.

He said they need two cars that can be within range of Mercedes next season.

And he said if they aren't keeping Albon they "will have to look outside the Red Bull pool of drivers as there is not one available that we would look to put in. There are some quality drivers on the market who are going to be unemployed for next year"

Grosjean to Red Bull it is :D

quokula wrote: »
    Grosjean to Red Bull it is :D

Kubica so they can prove their cars are so good anyone could win in one.

EDIT: I was tired and forgot to say half half of this. Hamilton to Red Bull and Kubica to Mercedes so Mercedes can advertised that their cars are just so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Kubica so they can prove their cars are so good anyone could win in one.

Maldonado starts rubbing his helmet with a babywipe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was looking at the standings in the Drivers Championship and I saw that Ricciardo was 4th in it and scored 80 points. To see him fourth took me by surprise I have to say.

There are five races left to go, but if Danny ends up finishing 4th in the drivers championship, it would be a brilliant result for him.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I was looking at the standings in the Drivers Championship and I saw that Ricciardo was 4th in it and scored 80 points. To see him fourth took me by surprise I have to say.

There are five races left to go, but if Danny ends up finishing 4th in the drivers championship, it would be a brilliant result for him.

He’s fourth and only 5 points ahead of LeClerc in 5th. I think LeClerc and Danny are have in excellent seasons. Really showing up their teammates as inferior. Ocon has an excuse and his performances have gotten closer to Danny, particularly in quali. But Vettel’s performances have dropped further and further back from LeClerc.

It’s safe to say the Renault has improved and Ocon has improved too. But it’s hard to know if the ferrari has improved or if LeClerc has improved or if Vettel has just gone backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

But it’s hard to know if the ferrari has improved or if LeClerc has improved or if Vettel has just gone backwards.

We won't know the true picture with Vettel till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm expecting Stroll to show Vettel up next year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

astrofluff wrote: »

I hope your wrong on that. I think Racing Point are fools to be getting rid of Perez and keeping Stroll. Don't get me wrong he is not the worst driver just a bit dull and certainly not as good as Perez. I really hope Vettel can do better next season because if not that will be it for him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Racing Point are 3rd at the moment only a few points ahead of McLaren and Renault. If they drop back to 4th or 5th by the end of the season, I guarantee you it won't be Perez's fault. Stroll had a shocker yesterday. I'm not saying he's the most useless driver on the grid right now. But he's not great.

Really???? if the cars are equal then surely vettel is going to be miles ahead of stroll

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭klose

AMKC wrote: »
    I hope your wrong on that. I think Racing Point are fools to be getting rid of Perez and keeping Stroll. Don't get me wrong he is not the worst driver just a bit dull and certainly not as good as Perez. I really hope Vettel can do better next season because if not that will be it for him.

Isn't strolls dad the owner of racing point? Or a massive backer atleast? So long as he's there stroll ain't going anywhere I imagine, definition of a paid driver wasn't he brought straight up from F3.

Really hope vettel can get back up the grid next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Stroll isn't terrible, but he's not great either. He's inconsistent, makes silly mistakes and doesn't learn from them. The absolute worst thing though is having to listen to the excuses, everything is excused, 'didn't see him' is the most overused one. The team will never ever suggest he made a mistake. Otmar is like a Catholic priest talking about The Pope, he's infallible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

If Perez has no seat next year and Stroll does it will be a crime against racing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll make the point again, Racing Point are third right now. If they drop behind McLaren who have two good drivers it'll be bad. If they fall behind Renault who are currently being held up by Ricciardo alone then they lose a big chunk of prize money. And losing money is something not even Lawrence Stroll can ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

We won't know the true picture with Vettel till next year.

It's becoming increasingly obvious (Vettel mentioning having to bite his lip) that Vettel is not being supplied with anything like the same equipment and support as Leclerc. No surprise when the utterly inept management have to try and justify their decision to sack their star driver before the season even started.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Vettel beat both Ferraris next year.

It's becoming increasingly obvious (Vettel mentioning having to bite his lip) that Vettel is not being supplied with anything like the same equipment and support as Leclerc. No surprise when the utterly inept management have to try and justify their decision to sack their star driver before the season even started.

That would be so bitter sweet for all Seb fans

Vettel attempted to light the rumour mill post race on RTL saying he's at a loss to explain the difference between him and LeClerc. The team issued a swift rebuttal

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153083/ferrari-dismisses-talk-of-f1-cars-not-being-identical

I wouldn’t expect Stroll to beat Vettel over the season, but I’d expect it will be relatively close and Stroll will benefit by proximity to Vettel - Vettel will likewise be diminished by the same association.

When LeClerc joined Ferrari, the view was if he could even hang with Vettel then it would be a massive success and advantage LeClerc. He beat Vettel last year and this year is turning into an annihilation (LeClerc has four times as many points 75-18 and a commanding lead in quali and race finishes).

The notion that Vettel is actually a top driver like max and Lewis, is purely fantasy based and not at all fact based. The idea that he’ll bounce back next year is is a real Hail Mary. It’s not impossible that he’ll show he’s been a top driver all along but it would be seriously against form.

Fact is, he’s been fine with an inferior teammate and crumbled/left the team when he’s beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

What equipment isn't the same? Can you be specific please?
    I understand the support being different when the atmosphere is toxic but I fail to see what equipment would be different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement